• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

I was raised Southern Baptist. I'm at a point in my life where I'm not concerned about following a particular faith. When I have a family, I'll probably start going to church again regularly, just to make sure my children are raised around positive morals. I may not be entirely sold on the idea of the Christian god, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't appreciate growing up around the positive morals that my Baptist church had. (Respecting elders/parents, treating others fairly, not to lie, steal, etc).

And those Sunday Fish Frys, good lord.

I don't want to get into too hard but you don't need a Church for that though. You can find good role models in other places.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Was raised Baptist, but we switched to Pentecostal when i was 5. I believe, and read my Bible, but i haven't been to church in over 10 years.

330px-Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage.jpg

All Praise

BlackJace

I don't want to get into too hard but you don't need a Church for that though. You can find good role models in other places.

Well of course, but I would raise them like my parents did me. In my early teenage years, my parents didn't give a shit about what I believed in, but before then, they saw church as a good place for me and my sister to have a foundation in.

Here I am years later, and I find myself caring about religion less and less. Regardless of that, I can attribute many positive things about my upbringing to church.

So yeah, church isn't the only place where positive morality can be found, but I think I turned out okay as a result of going as a child, so I wish to pass that on to my kids one day. They'll be free to choose whatever beliefs they want, because I sure as hell won't be goading them to go to church on a Sunday morning well into my 40s.

I was raised Southern Baptist. I'm at a point in my life where I'm not concerned about following a particular faith. When I have a family, I'll probably start going to church again regularly, just to make sure my children are raised around positive morals. I may not be entirely sold on the idea of the Christian god, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't appreciate growing up around the positive morals that my Baptist church had. (Respecting elders/parents, treating others fairly, not to lie, steal, etc).

And those Sunday Fish Frys, good lord.

church ain't perfect, but there's definitely something to attending a good one. You can find good role models anywhere, but a good institution and a 'community' is something else.
Good luck in your search, sir.

Raised in a generic Christian home. Never went to church much at all but my dad would throw bible stories and stuff like that at me almost daily. In my teens I started reading criticisms of the bible both philosophical and historical accounts of those time periods. I felt obligated to look into this stuff if I were to believe at all.

Long story short, I'm atheist.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Kinda ironic, as I attended church today for the first time in 5 or so months...

I was born AME (African Methodist Episcopal-which is another way of saying 'black church other than baptist'), I attended pretty frequently until I went to college and fell out of the habit.

Afterwards, with both my parents passing, I simply lost the desire to go again. I guess that meant that they were to only reason I went. Today, I believe, but I've lost all desire in attending a church. I'd rather play games on a Sunday.

BlackJace

church ain't perfect, but there's definitely something to attending a good one. You can find good role models anywhere, but a good institution and a 'community' is something else.
Good luck in your search, sir.

Right, I more respect the community aspect of it all, rather than the hard scripture and gospel.
I'd rather be at home sleeping each Sunday, but I wouldn't mind going once in a blue moon in the early years of my kids' lives.

Gorillaz

Typical story honestly

Raised by mother as nondenominational Christian and we always went to Sunday service,bible study and choir. Tho I think maybe my story, well our story, was different a bit because around time time of my middle school years she became deeper into bible and more spiritual then religious. To the point where she saw the problems with churches and felt it was a waste since no one was really to help others but instead just gossip about who is with who and who is dating who. So we haven't went regularly for the past 7 years. However we still do spiritual talks and "what ifs" occasionally. In a way that was more fulfilling then attending Sunday morning services.

That said, I agree with BlackJace on Church as a community. I mean you can find a community anywhere but it does feel good growing up in a church community. It's hard to explain I guess but when you become... "sensible" enough I think it's healthy to let a child pick there own way of living, whether that's in the church or not. Sad that alot of kids didn't get that choice.

a lot more then I wanted to type but whatever

edit: matter of fact I havn't been to church in years, like maybe 7ish?

I was baptized, but after my parents split and I lived with my mom, she wanted me to start making my own decision about my life choices, which included religion. My aunt started doing that whole "BUT HE'S GOING TO GO TO HELL, YOU KNOW" talk, but she got waved off.

I don't do religion (I'm the kind of guy that needs proof), but I'm not gonna try and shit on someone because they're religious.

Nakazato

1080666809 said:
How persistent is the anti-gay sentiment in black churches these days?
Very.

Baptist. Mom and dad are religious. Me not not so much. I believe that there is a higher power but why dose he care about us.

BHZ Mayor

Question:

When we introduce ourselves in the thread, we include our religious affiliation. I just wanted to ask how everyone came to their chosen faith or lack thereof. What makes you believe what you believe?

Not looking to start a debate; just curious. I was raised Christian, and while I haven't practiced in a while, I still believe. However, it occurs to me I've never asked anyone else about their faith.

Pretty much the same, except I do still try to practice. Funny enough, I didn't go to church today. Lazy weekend after a long week. As far as what makes me believe, I tend to look at how everything on earth seems perfectly tailor-made to coexist.

Very surprised there are few people on here religious knowing the fact that our community is super religious. Mostly black women though, why is that?

I went to church last Sunday. I think it might've been the 2nd prodominantly white church I've been to. It was large, but not a megaplex. There churches are definitely different. Out of the 2, maybe 3 I've been to no one has caught the holy ghost and there is no choir whatsoever. It is also very quiet. Not the kind of preaching like I'm used to. Church is also very short. It's over within an hour, while my church back at home is about 2 hrs and 15 mins. I've been to 1 black church though that started at 11 and ended at sometime after 3.

Totally took a dresser off the street yesterday. Wasn't even sure it was free because it was right next to a moving van. Devo's Stealing Service.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Why we can't have/ don't give nice things.

Idiots under super-NDAs go make YT videos showing their face and their Xbox One unit.

smh

Slayven

Why we can't have/ don't give nice things.

Idiots under super-NDAs go make YT videos showing their face and their Xbox One unit.

smh

Folks ain't use to shit. Give me free shit and all I have to do is not talk about it? I would disconnect my phone and internet.

Trey

Question:

When we introduce ourselves in the thread, we include our religious affiliation. I just wanted to ask how everyone came to their chosen faith or lack thereof. What makes you believe what you believe?

Not looking to start a debate; just curious. I was raised Christian, and while I haven't practiced in a while, I still believe. However, it occurs to me I've never asked anyone else about their faith.

Parents are Christian, never really went to church themselves - they were really aloof with it. Started using the internet when I was in sixth or seventh grade, got into science fiction around the same time, combined with not having a strong amount of religion in my upbringing, and it was over from then on.

I have a strong amount of respect and love for many religious people, and most of my morals were introduced to me and reinforced through religious themes, so I am not as fervently against religion as many on this board are. No condescension against the principle of religion, and things of that nature.

Neither of us has brought it up yet, but I think she knows the deal, we weren't talking before this weekend I'll shut that door when I leave town

Make it known. Cuts right to the heart of the matter and mitigates many problems that can arise in situations like this. You don't ever want to be the guy "leading someone on."

Slayven

NDAs these days are written to specifically cover kids/ family/ booty calls. Serious.

I would be shocked if they didn't. Too many asshole kids with the twitter and the vines and shit.

People saying this was intentionally leaked. I hope not because it is fucking embarrassing why to show off your product.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I would be shocked if they didn't. Too many asshole kids with the twitter and the vines and shit.

People saying this was intentionally leaked. I hope not because it is fucking embarrassing why to show off your product.

Highly doubt it, given our dealings with MS already. Then again, stranger things have happened.

I suspect its the kid of either a low level employee or someone at retail, and they just wanted to make front page of Reddit.

Highly doubt it, given our dealings with MS already. Then again, stranger things have happened.

I suspect its the kid of either a low level employee or someone at retail, and they just wanted to make front page of Reddit.

That internet cred is serious business, kid just got thier parents in a world of trouble. No christmas for lil jimmy this year

Why do the Jolie-Pitt children look raggedy? Because they are rich, that's why. Also, that boy /does/ look crazy like Brad. Also, also, someone needs to talk to Angelina about African hair. I'm happy she adopted the child but those edges look snatched.

Top Bottom