• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Right now my top 5 skilled actresses

Alice Braga
Carice Von Houten
Diane Kruger
Mireille Enos

And token bad chick Christina Hendricks (if you ever seen her do an interview she seems nothing like Joan.)

It will put Scar Jo and Biel's ability into the proper perspective.

This list, barring Christina Hendricks is basically comprised of a bunch of actresses whose work I've hardly seen. The movies/shows I have seen them in, they didn't stand out to me at all.

Hendricks I've seen in Drive, Firefly, and Mad Men and she's solid but Mad Men is the only thing I've seen her in where she's had the ability to really flex at all.

Has Bullock done a nude scene?

Nope. Pretty sure she's always had a nudity isn't required to do her job mindset.

DominoKid

Sandra Bullock is an Oscar winner, think about that. Even she jnows thats some bullshit. Shit took kate Winslet how many movies and nude scenes to finally get hers?

January Jones is perfectly casted in last stand and mad men. She looks like an ice queen of a bitch and apparently is one. Horrible actress.

I often wonder about casting couches. Who had to suck and fuck who to get to where they are.

everyone-gif.gif

but for real you don't really want to know. CDAN Blind Items kind of ruined it a lot of stuff for me.

If you're talking about acting right now

Naomi Watts
Jessica Chastain
Penelope Cruz
Cate Blanchett

Are the best right now forreal

Rosario Dawson and Cruz are hottest tho. Y'all see Rosario in trance? Haaaaaaaaaaaanh

Who's pulling out dynamic performances from comic book movies and Rom Coms?

Robert Downing JR, Jeff Bridges were in the same series as her and ate all her lunch.

Willem Dafoe was good in Spiderman. Ledger, Tom Hardy, Michael Caine, Cillain Murphy, Bale to a lesser extent. Even Hathaway was pretty good in Batman. Hugh Jackman's Wolverine has had its moments.

Meanwhile, January Jones just walks around like only having one facial expression is okay.

Morris just bitter and angry that the Lakers are gonna trade their 1st round pick for Brandon Jennings before the deadline.

Y'all gonna max Bismarck Kwame Biyombo and throw a parade over it.

harSon

Banned
I'm seriously contemplating "coming out" to my dad. I'm not gay, but dude is the most homophobic person I know and I'm going to legit snap if I hear him say faggot one more time. Feels like I'm on Xbox Live...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Robert Downing JR, Jeff Bridges were in the same series as her and ate all her lunch.

Willem Dafoe was good in Spiderman. Ledger, Tom Hardy, Michael Caine, Cillain Murphy, Bale to a lesser extent. Even Hathaway was pretty good in Batman. Hugh Jackman's Wolverine has had its moments.

Hathaway was lame as fuck in Batman. And I love Hathaway.

Dafoe showed up for a check in wackass Spiderman, too. Only good actor in any of the Spiderman movies was Franco - and they completely wasted him.

Gorillaz

I often wonder about casting couches. Who had to suck and fuck who to get to where they are.

There are alot of intersting stories out there about who fucked who to make it in hollywood. Some are kind of more disturbing and sad.

The hayden panettiere story is an example of a fucked up one

DY_nasty

Also, Downey Jr isn't even acting in Ironman. He's literally going about his daily life - they just add in CG to remove to the whiskey from his hand.
I think you meant to say Alfred Molina

Negative.

Dafoe showed up for a check in wackass Spiderman, too. Only good actor in any of the Spiderman movies was Franco - and they completely wasted him.

Das Not Compute.

That taking off Spiderman's mask scene is contender for worst acting of all time.

harSon

Banned
Also, Downey Jr isn't even acting in Ironman. He's literally going about his daily life - they just add in CG to remove to the whiskey from his hand.

Negative.

I don't know what to tell you then. Alfred Molina's baby home movies probably house more acting ability than Franco's career.

So we're comparing her to men who have a longer career and better movies under their belts (for the most part)?

Iron Man was taylor made for RDJ to be himself. Bridges was solid though. She's still hardly got a role in those movies though. Her Avengers stuff isn't great, I'll give you that.

Dafoe, Ledger, Hardy, and Bale were all major roles in those films. Caine was good but who was ever bad at Alfred? Murphy was good though. Hathaway's performance is highly over rated. Jackman's Wolverine is absolutely nothing to write home about but the character is limited, so there's that.

Still, out of that list I'd say only Ledger, Murphy, and Dafoe are what I'd consider really great performances. RDJ takes a hit because he isn't even really acting.

Kreed

Question:

When we introduce ourselves in the thread, we include our religious affiliation. I just wanted to ask how everyone came to their chosen faith or lack thereof. What makes you believe what you believe?

Not looking to start a debate; just curious. I was raised Christian, and while I haven't practiced in a while, I still believe. However, it occurs to me I've never asked anyone else about their faith.

I was raised Baptist, was Baptized at the age of 8 and was heavily involved in my church for years/attended service regularly, etc.... But then one day after being in a debate and getting told about some verses in the bible that I took issue with (particularly the support of slavery), I decided to actually read the Bible instead of just the parts I was told to read in church, bible study guides, and/or excerpts given to me in pamphlets at church. After reading through it, I came to the conclusion that the God I was taught to believe in church(s) and the God being described in the Bible were not the same and that I had too many issues with what was written in the book, from horrible incidents, to contradictions, to things that just didn't make sense, to continue calling myself a Christian or religious. I also learned from debating with my pastor, parents, and family that either I never believed in the same things to begin with or that my beliefs had gone on a different path once I started public school (ex: Evolution, the age of the Earth, etc....) things that I had adapted to fit into my Christian beliefs that I didn't realize no one else had done.

Present day I really don't care or think much about church or religion or the existence of God outside of religious attempts to change/affect laws and holidays when I go home to see family and have to pray before meals.

So we're comparing her to men who have a longer career and better movies under their belts (for the most part)?

Iron Man was taylor made for RDJ to be himself. Bridges was solid though. She's still hardly got a role in those movies though. Her Avengers stuff isn't great, I'll give you that.

Dafoe, Ledger, Hardy, and Bale were all major roles in those films. Caine was good but who was ever bad at Alfred? Murphy was good though. Hathaway's performance is highly over rated. Jackman's Wolverine is absolutely nothing to write home about but the character is limited, so there's that.

Still, out of that list I'd say only Ledger, Murphy, and Dafoe are what I'd consider really great performances. RDJ takes a hit because he isn't even really acting.

She has been acting for 20 years and getting starring roles for over a decade.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Fucking preach.

Not RDJ's fault that him being himself is more compelling than ScarJo as a world class assassin.

Accept that/hold that.

Give ScarJo a Black Window solo flick with Favreau directing and then a comparison can be made.

She has been acting for 20 years and getting starring roles for over a decade.

Half that as a child star. Dafoe, RDJ, Bridges, and Bale off the top of my head have catalogs that dwarf hers. Ledger was around the same length but a much better variety of roles.

DY_nasty

How about we talk about Angelina Jolie?

I mean, she gets big roles and she lays an egg 19 times out of 20

Half that as a child star. Dafoe, RDJ, Bridges, and Bale off the top of my head have catalogs that dwarf hers. Ledger was around the same length but a much better variety of roles.

You really think she's gone be good at acting outta nowhere? The first 10 years of those guys careers outshine hers. Girl can't act.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
By lay an egg I thought DY meant financially. Haven't seen Changeling, Don't think many have. She was aight in ...uh..Gone in 60 Seconds?

Shit, I forgot she was in that. She didn't have much of a presence in it. But the movie was the shit.

DY_nasty

You don't like Changeling? What do you like?
That was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen - and it wasn't because of the story either. I like Clint Eastwood as a director, but my god the actual progression of that movie was slow pressure to the nuts.

harSon

Banned
That was one of the most boring movies I've ever seen - and it wasn't because of the story either. I like Clint Eastwood as a director, but my god the actual progression of that movie was slow pressure to the nuts.

I love films that have a methodically suspenseful slow burn to their narrative. That's probably why I also considered Zodiac to be one of the best films of the decade.

You really think she's gone be good at acting outta nowhere? The first 10 years of those guys careers outshine hers. Girl can't act.

She's already had spots where she's shined. She just needs more variety to grow. Ledger was the same way. Average Teen Heart throb actor until he started branching out.

I don't think I've seen Jolie as a lead in a film that I've liked. She's always a supporting role in the stuff I've enjoyed.

She's already had spots where she's shined. She just needs more variety to grow. Ledger was the same way. Average Teen Heart throb actor until he started branching out.

Ledger showed range quick out of the gate, he wasn't great by any means but leagues better than ScarJo. She legit can't act and has had tons of opportunities. It's simply not in her.

harSon

Banned
How would you rate these films if you've seen them? The Assassination of Jesse James, The Pledge, Barry Lyndon, Solyaris (1972) or 2001: A Space Odyssey, Days of Heaven/The Thin Red Line and Beasts of the Southern Wild.

How would you rate these films if you've seen them? The Assassination of Jesse James, The Pledge, Barry Lyndon, Solyaris (1972) or 2001: A Space Odyssey, Days of Heaven/The Thin Red Line and Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Only seen Jesse James, 2001 and Thin Red Line. Feel like I should watch them all again to feel them out more.

Slayven

If it wasn't for Brad Pitt fucking them, neither ANston or Jolie would have a movie career. Both are terrible actors.

But Jolie's titties in Gia was righteous,.

Top Bottom