• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

How would you rate these films if you've seen them? The Assassination of Jesse James, The Pledge, Barry Lyndon, Solyaris (1972) or 2001: A Space Odyssey, Days of Heaven/The Thin Red Line and Beasts of the Southern Wild.

That is one helluva movie list. Didn't see Beasts, though. Didn't have the heart to. Probably misjudging. Couldn't pick a fave of that set, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Assassination of Jesse James.

harSon

Banned
That is one helluva movie list. Didn't see Beasts, though. Didn't have the heart to. Probably misjudging. Couldn't pick a fave of that set, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Assassination of Jesse James.

I was just getting an idea of people's enjoyment of slow developing narratives, but yeah, I loved them all.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Slay was in line for Warriors of Virtue at midnight
How would you rate these films if you've seen them? The Assassination of Jesse James, The Pledge, Barry Lyndon, Solyaris (1972) or 2001: A Space Odyssey, Days of Heaven/The Thin Red Line and Beasts of the Southern Wild.

2001 is one of my favorite movies ever. The Pledge was 'okay'. Assassination of Jesse James was good - but incredibly overrated imo. Haven't seen the rest.
You like Book of Eli tho

All I'm saying

These are my two favorite movies of the year so far

For reals though. Except stuff like Speed Racer and Pacific Rim.

Saw two good movies last month, Fruitvale and The World's End.

Tried my best to dig Fruitvale, but couldn't. More power to Ryan Coogler, though. The World's End might be Edgar Wright's best work.

I get why people love Pacific Rim. It was cool, for me. Of the anime that i adored, Pacific Rim didn't really scratch my itch, but it was fine. I have a secret appreciation for Speed Racer.

Also, didn't feel like digging through 233 pages of posts, but curious: from a cultural standpoint, what do you guys feel about the gaming and movie industries? Has there been a rage thread yet?

harSon

Banned
You like Book of Eli tho

I found it entertaining but there's a difference between finding something entertaining and it being legitimately good. There's some overlap between the two, but in this case I'd say Book of Eli was an incredibly flawed film that still managed to be entertaining.

I love Speed Racer but Speed Racer ain't legitimately good across the board.

zero_suit

Tried my best to dig Fruitvale, but couldn't. More power to Ryan Coogler, though. The World's End might be Edgar Wright's best work.

I get why people love Pacific Rim. It was cool, for me. Of the anime that i adored, Pacific Rim didn't really scratch my itch, but it was fine. I have a secret appreciation for Speed Racer.

Also, didn't feel like digging through 233 pages of posts, but curious: from a cultural standpoint, what do you guys feel about the gaming and movie industries? Has there been a rage thread yet?

Better than Hot Fuzz? I loved that movie.

You like Book of Eli tho

whew.png

Better than Hot Fuzz? I loved that movie.

Edgar has pretty much honed the toolsets and editing style of his previous movies and delivered his tightest script since Shaun of The Dead. It's also a movie that illustrates a place of assumed maturity for where he - and that crew - is in their lives right now. Thematically and tonally, there's an honesty and earnestness that goes much deeper than the genre material it's pulling from. Sure, we see twilight zone and body snatchers, but the movie takes some really smart surprises in the closing that makes it distinctly british. It's great stuff that rises above homage. Too many strong 'life' themes to count.

Great, fun, little movie. We get into it a little on the No Apologies podcast.

FyreWulff

Major Nelson's Top GAF Posts (Based on UUs)

1. Xbox is awesome
2. Why is Xbox so good
3. Xbox vs PS4: Why are you choosing Xbox?
4. Major Nelson versus Private Information
5. Xbox 360 Best Games That Also Have One Versions

Top Xbox One Arcade (based off full posts purchased)

1. Xbone is like calling me a redneck
2. Xbox One: One Input, One Console, No Others Exist
3. Why Smartglass isn't copying the Wii U Tablet
4. I Fucking Loved Inside Xbox
5. Lococycle: If You Don't Buy This, You're Loco

akira28

Major Nelson has a GAF account.

Oh boy!!

oh god...oh god...every fiber of my being...

edit: never mind, it's probably an intern working for the 'Major Nelson' brand or something. but to get a t-roll out of the Maj? that would be like xmas. (after being trolled by him for what seems like a decade now.)

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
This list, barring Christina Hendricks is basically comprised of a bunch of actresses whose work I've hardly seen. The movies/shows I have seen them in, they didn't stand out to me at all.

Hendricks I've seen in Drive, Firefly, and Mad Men and she's solid but Mad Men is the only thing I've seen her in where she's had the ability to really flex at all.

Nope. Pretty sure she's always had a nudity isn't required to do her job mindset.

All the actresses I mentioned have shown acting range in their roles. If you go into their filmography it shows they can act. They aren't big names but I tend to think a lot of the big names don't have range.

Why any dev would want to bother with this forum is beyond me, and I know there are a few here and there but I mean posting on gaming side seriously.

Onemic

they went down on him too. then they turned on him when he said what they didnt want to hear.

eh, the amount of truth Cliffyb says is mostly drowned out by the amount of bs he tends to spew
Why any dev would want to bother with this forum is beyond me, and I know there are a few here and there but I mean posting on gaming side seriously.

I guess compared to all the other big name gaming forums out there, it's the most civilized(which isn't saying much). I know there's a gaming forum that a lot of devs frequent that is far more civilized than gaming side, can't remember the name of it though even though I have an account there.

J10

Banned

The industry somehow got the idea that the conversations that happen here actually matter for some reason.

Top Bottom