• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Onemic

Case in point:

1NDKLdv.png

lol

Seems like black folks always revolutionize music and create music by us for us and then white people come in integrate then take it away. Then the good black entertainers are always relegated to R&B,soul, underground and they don't get the recognition they deserve.

Yet a white person comes along does the same thing (copies) then gets praised. Another example of privilege?

Seems like black folks always revolutionize music and create music by us for us and then white people come in integrate then take it away. Then the good black entertainers are always relegated to R&B,soul, underground and they don't get the recognition they deserve.

Yet a white person comes along does the same thing (copies) then gets praised. Another example of privilege?

Elvis says, "Duh."

Why any dev would want to bother with this forum is beyond me, and I know there are a few here and there but I mean posting on gaming side seriously.

*shrug* It's a big place and the gaming media often talks about it. You get opinions (lol) on your project and you can probably get some heavy support.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

"I don't like <traditionally black musical form>, but <white performer of that form> is pretty good!"

I'm also a big fan of "this white dude with an acoustic guitar made a cover that's better than the original song!"

Gorillaz

"Yea he is a true artist he talks about real life issues not drugs, rap cars, whooties and molly or whatever it is..... he's inspirational"

Jado

Banned
"I don't like <traditionally black musical form>, but <white performer of that form> is pretty good!"

I'm also a big fan of "this white dude with an acoustic guitar made a cover that's better than the original song!"

Does he read his tweets? I felt compelled to respond to him with a few words and a link to a story of Macklemore's position of white male privilege, jumping to the top and taking all the credit for being "progressive" in a field already brimming with numerous intelligent black artists with a lot to say. I've read about classist, elitist liberals and white feminists having this snooty attitude about "rap equals evil and ignorant... except for Macklemore!" and here is Cliff perpetuating that racist, ignorant attitude. This is a really frustrating problem for underrepresented, uncredited minority communities pushed aside for the newest, latest white hero, and it sucks that Cliff casually dismisses the rebuttals with that XKCD comic as if it's just a silly, little internet argument thing.

Macklemore does have a song called white privilege where he in fact discusses this

JohnDoe

Banned
Macklemore does have a song called white privilege where he in fact discusses this

It's actually cool he did this.
I'd say a lot of time the biggest problem is the audience rather than the artist (unless the artist is stealing musical ideas in the most shameless way). Like the Elvis example people use and how people call him the king of rock: at least he himself admitted that he wasn't king of rock n roll and that he owes his shit to black artists who are better than him and don't get the recognition they deserve.

It's actually cool he did this.
I'd say a lot of time the biggest problem is the audience rather than the artist (unless the artist is stealing musical ideas in the most shameless way). Like the Elvis example people use and how people call him the king of rock: at least he himself admitted that he wasn't king of rock n roll and that he owes his shit to black artists who are better than him and don't get the recognition they deserve.
Pretty much, although for shits and giggles I'm still waiting on Hip-Hop's Pat Boone.

The problem with Maracklewatever, for me at least, is that after a song I am done listening to it. For comparisons sake let me explain:

When I first heard "One Love" my reaction was that it was going to be huge. Afterwards I forgot most of it but the overall message of "We treat gays like shit." Compare that to my first listen of Murs' "Animal Style" which upon hearing I not only played the track again but I started wondering if any of my friends growing up had to live a secretive lifestyle due to sexual prefence. There's an after effect in the way the story is told that isn't found in Macklemoore's straightforward attempt. Moore's song also never let's you feel or think for yourself. Murs simply tells you a story and ask you how you feel about it afterwards. Basically heavy handed Spielberg vs. anyone with the subtlety of a person over 13.

The problem with Maracklewatever, for me at least, is that after a song I am done listening to it. For comparisons sake let me explain:

When I first heard "One Love" my reaction was that it was going to be huge. Afterwards I forgot most of it but the overall message of "We treat gays like shit." Compare that to my first listen of Murs' "Animal Style" which upon hearing I not only played the track again but I started wondering if any of my friends growing up had to live a secretive lifestyle due to sexual prefence. There's an after effect in the way the story is told that isn't found in Macklemoore's straightforward attempt. Moore's song also never let's you feel or think for yourself. Murs simply tells you a story and ask you how you feel about it afterwards. Basically heavy handed Spielberg vs. anyone with the subtlety of a person over 13.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's heard Animal Style.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
The industry somehow got the idea that the conversations that happen here actually matter for some reason.

They used to (the conversations that is). Some still do. It is weird. GAF comes up at least once during downtime, especially at events after parties.

Kreed

Case in point:

http://i.imgur.com/1NDKLdv.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

What's funny is he technically has to be including Eminem in this comment.

He also picked the wrong period of hip hop time to make this comment. If he had said this maybe in 09 he could have made his "mainstream rapper" argument and had at least one chair leg to stand on but now there are plenty of mainstream rapper lyricists to choose from even if all you listen to is radio singles.

I was actually about to post this. He's aware of his position in Hip-Hop, he spoke on that track not too long ago. With that said, that was made in 05. I would like to see him perform this in a sold out show now just to see the reaction.

I'm don't know who this guy is, but it sounds like something I wanna see too.

J10

Banned
The kinds of people who make grand declarations about big stuff are often the kind who aren't even remotely qualified to. Asshole could have just said, "I really like Macklemore."

Top Bottom