• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Sorry to hear that DY. Not really familiar with military benefits and the organization but I'm assuming that post means you're screwed? Like you can't get out for at least 18 months but you might be discharged in 12 so what does this affect for you?

Also what's Black Culture GAFs thoughts on light skinned people of all races? Is there really a war between the light skinned and dark skinned like PP (rip come back to us brah) suggests?

Cuz I'm a light skinned brown kid and I've noticed a slight trace of hierarchy

There ain't nothing wrong with looking Debarge. That's a common misconception purported by the media to have us destroy ourselves and commit warfare against our own. Lol. Nah but the only misconception I've heard is us lighter skinned brothers are "nicer".

Trust me that's some bullshit.

Edit:Holy shit I got a tag.

Also what's Black Culture GAFs thoughts on light skinned people of all races? Is there really a war between the light skinned and dark skinned like PP (rip come back to us brah) suggests?

Cuz I'm a light skinned brown kid and I've noticed a slight trace of hierarchy

I wouldn't dare call it a war. But there is a conflict. And like most insanity in the USA black community, it goes back to slavery.

The children of the masters and slave women might have a fractionally better life, even though they were still slaves. And if masters had children with those slave women, their progeny might have it even better. This is where we get the concept that house slaves were probably lighter skinned than field slaves. Where we get all those crazy terms like mulatto, quadroon, octroon, etc. The lighter the slave, the more the chance of training in a skill, education, etc. So when slavery ended, that group of blacks were more likely to continue being doctors, preachers, teachers, etc.

This all leads to the "colorstruck" phenomenon, where black people look down on the darker skinned members of the group. My mother, who is lighter skinned, was discouraged from marrying my father, who is pretty dark. Thankfully, my mother had good sense.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
There ain't nothing wrong with looking Debarge. That's a common misconception purported by the media to have us destroy ourselves and commit warfare against our own. Lol. Nah but the only misconception I've heard is us lighter skinned brothers are "nicer".

Where did you hear this? Lol. It's been the total opposite. Lighter skinned brothers are always doing nefarious, treacherous, demonic ass shit around these parts. lol.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
You really REALLY trying to live up to that moniker. There are no words for a black soldier in Germany. For the uninitiated every rumor you've heard multiply that by 10. Hell I know black women have it kinda like that in Italy.

And serious question....
Dy are you trying to switch MOS? And are they still giving bonuses for enlisted switching. Had a couple cats roll out of 13M and due to security clearance being what it is they were able to run with a lot more choices. Rank really does have privilege. And you were stationed in Texas.....

If you do what I think you do then you should have NO problem switching. None whatsoever. You should have better choices than mine.
Korea, Oklahoma, NC and Texas.... lol.
Naw. Literally every MOS is over capacity right now. I kept saying that this was the largest drawdown since Vietnam, nobody wanted to hear it. We're not getting into anything big for at least another 5 years - and god help you if you get a speeding ticket between then and now.

You can't even move unless you got 4 years on station. And the new school isn't getting anything close to what we got.

Unless something falls from the sky, I'm gonna mad dash for the door.

The Electric Lady is a legit classic album. Primetime...

WHOA.

I would kill all of you (minus DY and Rio because Army bros are bros) to have sex with Janelle.

I was thinking about a tyler Perry game today. Where you are a light skinned god fearing black man on a mission to save all the black women. You weapons are a hot pot of grits and a book of negro spirituals.
Needs a rake or plunger to beat the professional brother's ass with.

I look in the mirror, I see a bald shark. But yeah, skin tone wars are dumb, just another tool of division.

zero_suit

WHOA.

I would kill all of you (minus DY and Rio because Army bros are bros) to have sex with Janelle.

Yeah, her album is the shit.

Givin Em What They Love ft. Prince
Electric Lady ft. Solange
Dorothy Dandridge Eyes ft Esperanza Spalding
Sally Ride
What an Experience

Where did you hear this? Lol. It's been the total opposite. Lighter skinned brothers are always doing nefarious, treacherous, demonic ass shit around these parts. lol.

Exactly. Lot of this shit I've both heard and experienced here in Ga. Louisiana was a different animal you didn't trust "them red boys" with shit. I knew cats that didn't get away with anything but at same time didn't fit in with our darker complected brethren. Saw it on both sides how hard each had it. But Georgia showed me a different animal. I worked in a hospital and older white females were a lot more "tolerant" of some actions. Man I can't explain the hilarity of some folks actions. That in itself can write books.

Naw. Literally every MOS is over capacity right now. I kept saying that this was the largest drawdown since Vietnam, nobody wanted to hear it. We're not getting into anything big for at least another 5 years - and god help you if you get a speeding ticket between then and now.

You can't even move unless you got 4 years on station. And the new school isn't getting anything close to what we got.

Unless something falls from the sky, I'm gonna mad dash for the door.

Vaya con Dios. Fucking step since you got the chance. Start putting bugs in the ear in the private sector. You will have a better chance then staying in. Good luck my brother.

Imm0rt4l

tumblr_msz2onuq2H1sqksc7o1_500.png

The return of Miigro

Kreed

WHOA.

Album is great, although she doesn't experiment as much on The Electric Lady as she did with ArchAndroid, but ArchAndroid doesn't have Prince so it evens out.

How do you think some of Gaf would respond to me making a thread about how Janelle's rap verse on Q.U.E.E.N. shits on Macklemoores whole "same love" crap?

EDIT: WTF am I trying to say? Fucking Whiskey.

I know I've mentioned how fucked this place is before (I can almost guarantee I'll be out of work by the end of the year).

Overheard a meeting. A guy I thought was near untouchable was lamenting to some other suits. 'they want me out, I know I'll be gone the second this merger happens. I'm only here for a few more weeks' and I'm NoWordsRayJay.gif

Apparently the problem is the highest of the high up are orchestrating this merger without knowledge of the capabilities of one another or their staffs.

I heard the most arrogant and bad ass things come out of that office today.

Suit1 "Well can we push the completion date back?"

Suit2 "Absolutely not, if it's not done by X then we'll all be fired"

Suit1 "...."

Suit3 "....By who?"

Slayven

I know I've mentioned how fucked this place is before (I can almost guarantee I'll be out of work by the end of the year).

Overheard a meeting. A guy I thought was near untouchable was lamenting to some other suits. 'they want me out, I know I'll be gone the second this merger happens. I'm only here for a few more weeks' and I'm NoWordsRayJay.gif

Apparently the problem is the highest of the high up are orchestrating this merger without knowledge of the capabilities of one another or their staffs.

I heard the most arrogant and bad ass things come out of that office today.

Suit1 "Well can we push the completion date back?"

Suit2 "Absolutely not, if it's not done by X then we'll all be fired"

Suit1 "...."

Suit3 "....By who?"
That is when your work credit history don't mean shit.

Boss 1:
"Oh that Moris, that nigga know everything about this place."

New Boss 1:
"I don't know that nigga. Get'em gone."

"

akira28

It depends. Lots of stupid people believe stupid shit. And yeah some light skinned dudes go hard as shit, probably because at some point someone tried to "test" them. I've listened to black women daydream about light skinned dudes, light eyes, pretty hair, "I dunno, he just seems... 'nice'". And then there's the other "nice" where people might think you're soft.

There's not a "war" but there has always been a dynamic. My mom got picked on because she was light. My baby sister got picked on because she was too dark. Big surprise that black people have image issues even inside the greater social community. And then all at once it doesn't matter. Except when the crab claws come out or there's some competition or conflict. When 'they' make us fight over a piece of cheese.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

WHOA.

I'd fight you to the death for this.
Yeah, her album is the shit.

Givin Em What They Love ft. Prince
Electric Lady ft. Solange
Dorothy Dandridge Eyes ft Esperanza Spalding
Sally Ride
What an Experience
All this, and surprisingly not sick of QUEEN or Dance Apocalyptic yet. In fact, the transition from Queen to Electric Lady is absolutely insane.

I'd fight you to the death for this.All this, and surprisingly not sick of QUEEN or Dance Apocalyptic yet. In fact, the transition from Queen to Electric Lady is absolutely insane.

QUEEN HAS THE BEST VERSE OF THE YEAR. I'm drunk enough to fucking make a thread about it.

Top Bottom