• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Interesting story Rio. That club-light thing seems like something that happens to most at one point or another.

In reference to Pop GAF:

Big man said they'll be able to make a new thread in 3 days and can keep it if they tone it down. Sad a few people ruined it for the rest but that's how it usually is. Never really visited but had no problem with them doing their own thing.

Let it be a reminder to keep some of the more explicit stuff on the down low. Can't wait to get my fix of the podcast.

The words safe & GAF don't go together.

I will say though, the "paranoia" of saying that magical thing that brings that attention your way has stopped me on many occasion of just going in on somebody or even posting in some cases. Happens more often than I'd like it to. Just rather be safe than sorry.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Some people are really bothered by the idea that there is a community dedicated to discussing popular music. Somehow runs their gaf experience.

I find pop gaf hilarious. Hope they get their thread back.

people are bothered by the fact that they post like garbage and make every other thread they post in a chore to get through while repeating the same gif of some popstar barely having a facial expression 43 times per page

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
people are bothered by the fact that they post like garbage and make every other thread they post in a chore to get through while repeating the same gif of some popstar barely having a facial expression 43 times per page
Yet creepy-gaf is still completely unchecked.

And wrestling-gaf is far worse with GIF spam.

But don't worry, it'll be time for another white-culture thread soon.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Plz. I can go in and find anything I need without complication, and they're speedy when it comes to answering music questions. They aren't any worse than any other group. People can't get over the vernacular and that's on them.

Miss me with the gif use. Wrassle gaf is worse.

Dy is absolutely correct.

royalan

Plz. I can go in and find anything I need without complication, and they're speedy when it comes to answering music questions. They aren't any worse than any other group. People can't get over the vernacular and that's on them.

Miss me with the gif use. Wrassle gaf is worse.

Dy is absolutely correct.

Go in.

I can say that nothing happened in the PopGAF thread that I have not seen happen in GAF in general and more often. In fact, we're a lot tamer than other aspects of GAF when it comes to the explicit stuff.

But I understand the mod reasoning.

People gotta remember what our OT is. Beyond all the wackiness and gifs, at its core PopGAF is a highly concentrated, and probably naturally SEO optimized, discussion of the most talked about/Googled people on the planet: Popstars. And this isn't bragging, popstars and their antics routinely become the top searches on Google and most search engines. For this reason, I wouldn't be surprised at all if PopGAF was one of the more visible of GAF threads to search engines at this point.

That, combined with the fact that we did occasionally post things of a sexual nature, probably was causing a behind-the-scenes problem.

You know that there's an ignore feature, right? It's also no different from WrestleGAF.

BHZ Mayor

Go in.

I can say that nothing happened in the PopGAF thread that I have not seen happen in GAF in general and more often. In fact, we're a lot tamer than other aspects of GAF when it comes to the explicit stuff.

People gotta remember what our OT is. Beyond all the wackiness and gifs, at its core PopGAF is a highly concentrated, and probably naturally SEO optimized, discussion of the most talked about/Googled people on the planet: Popstars. And this isn't bragging, popstars and their antics routinely become the top searches on Google and most search engines. For this reason, I wouldn't be surprised at all if PopGAF was one of the more visible of GAF threads to search engines at this point.

That, combined with the fact that we did occasionally post things of a sexual nature, probably was causing a behind-the-scenes problem.

The only thing that doesn't make sense about this is that it almost makes too much sense.

ReiGun

Every big community does this. Wrassle-Gaf, anime/manga gaf, Pony-Gaf until they became social pariahs, various gaming communities. There's no reason to single out Pop-Gaf beyond the subject matter of their community.

You could make a case about their vernacular, but that's done tongue in cheek; every pop-gaf regular I've seen is a good poster. They just have their own slang.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Yet creepy-gaf is still completely unchecked.

And wrestling-gaf is far worse with GIF spam.

But don't worry, it'll be time for another white-culture thread soon.

That was fucked. Oddly enough a pop general thread would be far more chaotic.

Kreed

Go in.

The behind the scenes problem was Google Adsense. This isn't the first time this has happened on GAF with Google complaining about the content on this site/in threads and threads getting closed and deleted. The "Contest" threads, the "sexy x woman" threads, etc... The mods try to avoid these complaints through rules but it's hard to cover everything that Google would find as a violation without outright banning things like gifs/pictures and in PopGAF's case Google most likely saw the thread and all these gifs of pop women dancing around and told Evilore to get rid of it or lose revenue. And when money is at risk there's no time to just remove the offending content.

Mr. Patch

The behind the scenes problem was Google Adsense. This isn't the first time this has happened on GAF with Google complaining about the content on this site/in threads and threads getting closed and deleted. The "Contest" threads, the "sexy x woman" threads, etc... The mods try to avoid these complaints through rules but it's hard to cover everything that Google would find as a violation without outright banning things like gifs/pictures and in PopGAF's case Google most likely saw the thread and all these gifs of pop women dancing around and told Evilore to get rid of it or lose revenue. And when money is at risk there's no time to just remove the offending content.

I never realized that Google had THAT much pull on the site. I'm guessing they would pull ads if Evilore didn't comply?

Kreed

I never realized that Google had THAT much pull on the site. I'm guessing they would pull ads if Evilore didn't comply?

Google doesn't allow ads to be shown on sites with adult content, pirated content, drug sale promotion, gory/graphic content, or content that violates copyrighted material. It's the adult content that causes GAF the most issues because of the difference in what the GAF community considers adult and what Google considers adult (Google considers Adsense "family friendly"). So a gif of Miley twerking may be tame to us, but to Google it could be a violation.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437077

DY_nasty

Google doesn't allow ads to be shown on sites with adult content, pirated content, drug sale promotion, gory/graphic content, or content that violates copyrighted material. It's the adult content that causes GAF the most issues because of the difference in what the GAF community considers adult and what Google considers adult (Google considers Adsense "family friendly"). So a gif of Miley twerking may be tame to us, but to Google it could be a violation.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437077
That's fair.

I just don't like the hypocritical stuff... gay-gaf posting all kinds of stuff when girl-gaf can't. NBA-gaf slammed because of realpic-gaf spinning out if control. Etc.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You know that there's an ignore feature, right? It's also no different from WrestleGAF.

Wrasslegaf at least usually has the courtesy to use multiple different gifs

PopGAF will roll into a thread, someone will post a dumb New York gif in response to a post, then the other person will respond with the same gif, five posts later someone will do the same thing, and then the same tired gifs they have been using for three years will come out. Oprah. Mariah Carey putting flowers on a grave.

royalan

What do you guys think of the Mister Cee situation? He just got rehired by Hot 97, too.

I'm not sure where I stand because I don't know his history well.

Does Mister Cee have a history of talking down to the gay community? If so, good on that prostitute for outing him the way she did.

But taking down hypocrites that have the power to do damage to the gay community is the only instance that I agree with outing people. But if that's not the case, and that prostitute was just outing him for 15 seconds of internet fame then shame on her for outing him like this and I'm glad that he stood up for himself.

Imm0rt4l

What do you guys think of the Mister Cee situation? He just got rehired by Hot 97, too.

He needs to stop lying to himself. I don't think he'd be treated much differently by most in the industry if he came out, but he may just seriously be in denial. It's unfortunate, but is it really an exposure if this isn't really anything new?

I'm not sure where I stand because I don't know his history well.

Does Mister Cee have a history of talking down to the gay community? If so, good on that prostitute for outing him the way she did.

But taking down hypocrites that have the power to do damage to the gay community is the only instance that I agree with outing people. But if that's not the case, and that prostitute was just outing him for 15 seconds of internet fame then shame on her for outing him like this and I'm glad that he stood up for himself.

I don't think he does has a history of talking down on the gay community, I may be wrong.

He's been caught three times soliciting a prostitute like this, including this new situation.

His explanation for it all is ridiculous too. He claims to not be gay because he was never penetrated by a male and he never penetrated a male, he just loves oral from trans women?

I can't judge him, but come on...

He needs to stop lying to himself. I don't think he'd be treated much differently by most in the industry if he came out, but he may just seriously be in denial. It's unfortunate, but is it really an exposure if this isn't really anything new?
I agree. I just hope that he stays out of trouble, but I feel like he'll just get caught again. It'll be even weirder now since he's working for Hot 97 again...

Gorillaz

Thought we would be the first to get pinched not popgaf :jaysurprisedface:. They were fucking up that google money tho so i get it but atleast they get a new thread in 3 days.
He got caught like 3 or 4 times with the same prostitute I mean after awhile you gotta come clean . Didnt kno they rehired him tho

Edit: I don't know the full story so I could be wrong.

DY_nasty

Wrasslegaf at least usually has the courtesy to use multiple different gifs

PopGAF will roll into a thread, someone will post a dumb New York gif in response to a post, then the other person will respond with the same gif, five posts later someone will do the same thing, and then the same tired gifs they have been using for three years will come out. Oprah. Mariah Carey putting flowers on a grave.
You must've forgotten the Shawn Michaels felatio GIF, the snowglobe armada that used to dominate ALL of sportsgaf, and YES.

Wrestling gaf has been doing the same shit since 2005 with gifs. In completely unrelated threads.

Kreed

That's fair.

I just don't like the hypocritical stuff... gay-gaf posting all kinds of stuff when girl-gaf can't. NBA-gaf slammed because of realpic-gaf spinning out if control. Etc.

I think we all know the moderation around here depends a lot on which mod is moderating which topics. Like when a mod locks a topic and then another mod shows up and unlocks the topic, or when mods have had issues with Evilore over what rules to enforce and what rules not to (the whole "PC GAF" thing).

Mister Cee needs to stop lying about the situation. Even now he's still not telling everything/being honest and it's making the station and him look bad over nothing. Obviously I understand how some people in the hip hop industry feels about people who are gay, but if there was any time in history where it was ok to come out, now's the time.

If he came out, he'll get backlash for it (he already is, tbh) but I guarantee that he'll get a lot of love. I guess we'll just see how this shit turns out.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Denial, (especially when you've been caught three times) just makes you look foolish. He just needs to come clean.

Although, his problems seem more rooted in self-acceptance, more than it having to do with his job. Like he doesn't want to admit that that's who he truly is.

The hell? I was looking for movies to check out this weekend, and this Brian Hooks movie that came out in 2011 is playing there. Had no idea dude was still doing anything.

I guess that means there's still hope for Phat Beach 2?

I finally made time to get my blood drawn this morning. Most everyone got 1 or 2 samples taken. I sat down and the dude brought out six vials. They must be checking for the plague or something.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Why is there no record of this thread? I remembered when I first joined I asked why there wasn't one and someone told me there was. Must have had a very unique name for the thread.

It was called the people with skin thread. It got real ugly at the end.

You must've forgotten the Shawn Michaels felatio GIF, the snowglobe armada that used to dominate ALL of sportsgaf, and YES.

Wrestling gaf has been doing the same shit since 2005 with gifs. In completely unrelated threads.

The snowglobe cliq was hilarious. But I can see how it can get annoying

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Just got the Bee shield and the sand hawk for my lvl 61 Siren.

Look me in my face...I ain't got no worries.

Going to tackle the different ops once I hit 75. 14 more levels to go. Trying to do this before GTA comes out. Probably not going to happen, due to work.

*puts on tinfoil hat

Mr. Cee is untouchable because he knows who the gay rapper is.

He probably does. I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the dead rappers that everyone praises.

Imm0rt4l

Just got the Bee shield and the sand hawk for my lvl 61 Siren.

Look me in my face...I ain't got no worries.

Going to tackle the different ops once I hit 75. 14 more levels to go. Trying to do this before GTA comes out. Probably not going to happen, due to work.

He probably does. I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the dead rappers that everyone praises.

*puts on tinfoil hat

Biggie's best friend was gay, and cee was exec producer on his album.

J10

Banned
I just assume the more openly homophobic a hip hopper is the more likely it is that they enjoy same-sex intercourse.

BHZ Mayor

Looking back, I find it funny how people treated the "gay rapper" thing like it was just this one mysterious dude that was gay, and no one else.

I just assume the more openly homophobic a hip hopper is the more likely it is that they enjoy same-sex intercourse.

DMX on blast.

BHZ Mayor

I think we are the only group of black people that don't discuss the workings of the illumanti.

Well I'd assume most of us don't need anything to latch on to to make us feel better about ourselves about not being.

"Oh he's Illuminati. That's why he's successful. I'm not. That's why I'm still living in my mama's living room and haven't had a job in 3 years."

Well I'd assume most of us don't need anything to latch on to to make us feel better about ourselves about not being.

"Oh he's Illuminati. That's why he's successful. I'm not. That's why I'm still living in my mama's living room and haven't had a job in 3 years."

Not gonna lie...somedays I get jelly of cats living with their momma jobless....but still have all the latest electronics and shit, not having to pay bills.

Then I remember what sex feels like and come *dramatic pause for effect* to my senses rather quickly.

Slayven

I love shit on that, when folks blame the Illuminati for the most basic shit.

"He pays his child support on time and sees his kids. You know he is illuminati."

Not gonna lie...somedays I get jelly of cats living with their momma jobless....but still have all the latest electronics and shit, not having to pay bills.

Then I remember what sex feels like and come *dramatic pause for effect* to my senses rather quickly.

what about the ones who have all those benefits and also got their mama hooking them up with the younger chicks from work because she wants some grandkids?

J10

Banned
Where can I find AsianGAF? I need someone to explain this shit.

tumblr_msmogduUsz1scotdzo1_500.gif

BHZ Mayor

I love shit on that, when folks blame the Illuminati for the most basic shit.

"He pays his child support on time and sees his kids. You know he is illuminati."

"He wore an all black outfit. He's illuminati."
"He wore an all white outfit. He's illuminati."
"He keeps money in his pocket. He's illuminati."
"His shirt has a weird design on it. He's illuminati."
"I saw this dude with a shirt that said 'elite' on it. He was probably Illuminati."

These are things I actually heard.

Trey

I dislike talking to illuminati conspiracists. The worst are the ones who jump into legitimate conversations with that shit like they're really adding something to the discussion.

ReiGun

My favorite thing about the conspiracy theorists is that there really is no endgame or counter plan to them. It's just "these people rule the world. Stay woke." Anything to avoid actually making some moves, I guess.

Top Bottom