• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

I guess I'll get DY e-book edition ready this weekend. I only do this because I only got time to read these things when I'm out with my iPad or iPhone or something. Throwing it into iBooks is just easier to me. For some reason I tried to do a proofing pass on DY on my phone (pages) while at a baseball game.

Don't make me start on Riovane.

Is it that bad? I'm confused.

And why do I picture Satch returning and hear the Terminator theme.

These fucking fucks.

I've been trying to balance this dumbass account and it turns out some assholes were crediting and debiting this shit at will and backdating the transactions.

So not only were the amounts fluctuating every day while I was trying to balance but they were being added and removed with dates stating it happened months back.

I'm gonna dropkick my monitor.

FyreWulff

These fucking fucks.

I've been trying to balance this dumbass account and it turns out some assholes were crediting and debiting this shit at will and backdating the transactions.

So not only were the amounts fluctuating every day while I was trying to balance but they were being added and removed with dates stating it happened months back.

I'm gonna dropkick my monitor.

D:

I couldn't be an accountant

Worst of all, one of these assholes was bombing my inbox with requests to wrap up the reconciliation so they could do something with the figures

Finish that balancing Moris! I need it for my month end report!

*throws 70k into the account on the last day of the month with a date in mid June*

HURRY MORIS I NEEEEEDS IT.

*different person takes a penny out of the account because fuck Moris*

Maron

Hey guys, I recently put together a comic dub of my my series' first ten comic pages, and of course this came with hiring a voice cast. Now the thing here is, like myself, all of the main characters introduced here are black. However, none of the voice actors are.

People have been loving these comic dubs but I've gotten a couple of comments from my cousin, who also enjoyed it, regarding the whole thing of having white actors voice black characters. I've always been interested in the whole idea myself since it makes me wonder how one would go about even holding auditions for parts like these if they only intend on casting someone that fits the race of the character.

I'm happy with the voices and people have been telling me they love the voices for the characters, but at the same time I just don't want it to look as if I'm trying to "whitewash" my own characters. But yeah, I've always thought myself even as a kid watching cartoons that it was an interesting topic.

What's funny, on a slightly different note, is that when it was recently discovered that the voice of Darwin Watterson on Cartoon Network's The Amazing World of Gumball was getting recast with another kid due to the original voice actor hitting puberty, I saw that the new kid doing his voice was also black. So even with him getting a new voice actor and the character of Darwin himself not even being human (he's a fish) the voice director/creator/whoever still decided for whatever reason that he should keep being voiced by someone black.

Hey guys, I recently put together a comic dub of my my series' first ten comic pages, and of course this came with hiring a voice cast. Now the thing here is, like myself, all of the main characters introduced here are black. However, none of the voice actors are.

People have been loving these comic dubs but I've gotten a couple of comments from my cousin, who also enjoyed it, regarding the whole thing of having white actors voice black characters. I've always been interested in the whole idea myself since it makes me wonder how one would go about even holding auditions for parts like these if they only intend on casting someone that fits the race of the character.

I'm happy with the voices and people have been telling me they love the voices for the characters, but at the same time I just don't want it to look as if I'm trying to "whitewash" my own characters. But yeah, I've always thought myself even as a kid watching cartoons that it was an interesting topic.

What's funny, on a slightly different note, is that when it was recently discovered that the voice of Darwin Watterson on Cartoon Network's The Amazing World of Gumball was getting recast with another kid due to the original voice actor hitting puberty, I saw that the new kid doing his voice was also black. So even with him getting a new voice actor and the character of Darwin himself not even being human (he's a fish) the voice director/creator/whoever still decided for whatever reason that he should keep being voiced by someone black.
have you ever wondered if people like the voices because they don't "sound black" and if so, how does that make you feel?

Maron

have you ever wondered if people like the voices because they don't "sound black" and if so, how does that make you feel?

I haven't wondered that, because I've had both white and black people alike say that they've enjoyed them. I don't think I'd say it's a case of people not wanting to hear "black voices". Actually, no black people even auditioned for the roles. Though that's not to say I would cast one if the audition was in any way inferior to the ones that've been chosen in the video.

That was cute!

If you're happy with the voices, then that's what really matters, since you're the creator. Black people don't all sound "black" anyway; there are way too many factors that contribute to how people form their voices to worry about fitting into someone else's perceptions.

Slayven

Simpology: If you are about to fight a dude over a chick's honor and he busts out some Only The Strong capoeira, it is ok run away.

DominoKid

Simpology: If you are about to fight a dude over a chick's honor and he busts out some Only The Strong capoeira, it is ok run away.

or you can live that Never Back Down.

tumblr_mru5o7xnCg1sfl7d3o1_250.gif

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Well your getting out soon.What your plan ?
Actually, I just found out that I'm missing the fiscal year 2014 massacre by only 14 days. I'm still 95% sure I'm out, but at a year off... I got more plans to check out other than contracting and going back to school.

But if I were to actually NOT got kickedthefuckoutfornoreason and survive until 2016, I'd probably be Mayor of The Army

bigass if tho

Maron

That was cute!

If you're happy with the voices, then that's what really matters, since you're the creator. Black people don't all sound "black" anyway; there are way too many factors that contribute to how people form their voices to worry about fitting into someone else's perceptions.

Thanks! And yeah I started seeing it from that perspective myself since I don't really have what's considered the "conventional" black voice.

Top Bottom