• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

an iPad game about a Brazilian slave in the 1700s

some of these comments though

WOW. Keeping slavery alive I see. All countries had salves at one point some even enslaved their own race.. move forward, not backwards.

This x100.

The reason everything is racist, etc. is the media won’t let it die, like it should.

29-Camron-NP.gif

Onemic

Going by those comments supposedly there were more black slave owners in New Orleans than white slave owners at a point.

So, you know, if anyone should be going after the slaves it should be black people.

There was a thread on that game a while back, when Evan Narcisse had an article on Kotaku about it-but it was fairly tame and eventually faded out.

There was one intelligent comment on the Verge article about a double standard for games like Thralled and games that deal with the Holocaust or other past tragedies; I'll bet some of the other commenters also "couldn't identify" with CJ from San Andreas.

The comments suggesting we never talk about slavery always sound like the person making the comment was involved directly.

"Come on guys, that was a long time ago, I'm a different person now. Let it go."

It's like a variation of white guilt. White shame and defensiveness?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Going by those comments supposedly there were more black slave owners in New Orleans than white slave owners at a point.

So, you know, if anyone should be going after the slaves it should be black people.

i just saw that. amazing mental gymnastics people go through

Onemic

I dont get the whole spec talk and multiplat thing. It's like people are forgetting about the current gen situation and multiplats. PS3 is supposed to be a lot more powerful than the 360 and yet aside from PS3 exclusives, multiplats look exactly the same on both consoles. In fact, for a while 360 had the better performing/looking multiplats. I don't know what makes this next gen situation any different and the most I can see happening are both consoles providing equal looking/performing multiplat titles.

harSon

Banned
Man... these prices for apartments in San Jose are soul wrecking. I kind of want my own place, but a housemate seems like it's the most financially responsible thing to do at this point. Or I can live in the hood.

Onemic

Man... these prices for apartments in San Jose are soul wrecking. I kind of want my own place, but a housemate seems like it's the most financially responsible thing to do at this point. Or I can live in the hood.

Well the hood does have more flavour

Hood probably got 2, maybe 3 Churches Chicken in the same area. Think of all those honey biscuits. And when you dodging bullets and shivs on the way out, you can't say your life isn't interested.

I dont get the whole spec talk and multiplat thing. It's like people are forgetting about the current gen situation and multiplats. PS3 is supposed to be a lot more powerful than the 360 and yet aside from PS3 exclusives, multiplats look exactly the same on both consoles. In fact, for a while 360 had the better performing/looking multiplats. I don't know what makes this next gen situation any different and the most I can see happening are both consoles providing equal looking/performing multiplat titles.

Isn't that usually because the 360 is thought of as easier to develop for, so the development is optimized for 360 and then ported to PS3? If that process carries over to next gen then yeah, not too much will change but the perception (or reality) of difficulty is not there, maybe they'll make the most of the specs.

harSon

Banned
Hood probably got 2, maybe 3 Churches Chicken in the same area. Think of all those honey biscuits. And when you dodging bullets and shivs on the way out, you can't say your life isn't interested.

Our hood doesn't have chicken joints and waffle houses. We've got pho joints and taquerias. I should just go with the policy of not living in any area with a check n go/check cashing place.

Trey

Roomate. Best way to go unless you have horrible luck with getting a good one.

Isn't that usually because the 360 is thought of as easier to develop for, so the development is optimized for 360 and then ported to PS3? If that process carries over to next gen then yeah, not too much will change but the perception (or reality) of difficulty is not there, maybe they'll make the most of the specs.

360 and PS3 architecture were very different, one of the devs from the Edge article said the ESRAM in the XB1 is a pain to use. From what it looks like the tables will be turned next gen with the addition of the PS4 also having more raw power. So it'd be like if in addition to the 360 being easier to dev for that it was also more powerful.

The main thing holding devs back would be most political, not wanting to have a lesser version on the XB1 for MS and XB1 fans sake. So it'll probably be 1st party devas making the case for PS4's graphical superiority.

That's my understanding at least. Maybe someone more knowledgable like Fyrewulf or Bish can drop some wisdom.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Might as well just shut your brain off console wars for now. Because who knows what happens when reality drops in two months time.

That being said...

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4

Slayven

What is the PC?
Shemar Moore

360 and PS3 architecture were very different, one of the devs from the Edge article said the ESRAM in the XB1 is a pain to use. From what it looks like the tables will be turned next gen with the addition of the PS4 also having more raw power. So it'd be like if in addition to the 360 being easier to dev for that it was also more powerful.

The main thing holding devas back would be most political, not wanting to have a lesser version on the XB1 for MS and XB1 fans sake. So it'll probably be 1st party devas making the case for PS4's graphical superiority.

That's my understanding at least. Maybe someone more knowledgable like Fyrewulf or Bish can drop some wisdom.
Bethesda games will suck on the XBone confirmed.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

All i'm saying is...this is the smartest post on the whole situation i've seen on GAF in a while.

*back to work*

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Betashed ruined all credibility with me this generation on consoles. I got burned not once but twice with Fallout and especially Skyrim. Not touching another Sony version of their games until they prove they can code a game worth a damn on said console.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Probably going to join the madness on GTAV. I really, really, really wish they had more traffic. Streets shouldn't be that empty. :/

harSon

Banned

A lot of it has to do with developing to the lowest common denominator. They're not going to go out of their way to squeeze performance out of one platform over the other. The reason we saw garbage PS3 ports for much of this gen is the fact that A) 360 was the lead platform and B) Playstation 3 was harder to develop for. Even later in the generation when PS3 was being used as the lead platform, and the game was being ported to 360, the differences between the two were neglible. Both consoles are going to be easy to develop for this upcoming generation, and I just don't see 3rd party developers going out of their way to take advantage of one console over the other, or setting an end goal that the lowest common denominator can't achieve. Unless there's politics involved, ie. the developer being cozy with the platform holder.

Bros, Japanese chick is on her way. A friend of mine brought up something though. Since I am the "It's over, let me put my clothes on and leave" type of dude WTF am I going to do if she wants to stay the weekend?

Gorillaz

Waffle House are in such sketchy areas man, Church's is safer then WH most of the time. Like there is one I avoid that is by a strip club that has a history of prostitution rings and shootings

Funny enough the strip club is now closed and has been turned into a Chinese Restaurant

A lot of it has to do with developing to the lowest common denominator. They're not going to go out of their way to squeeze performance out of one platform over the other. The reason we saw garbage PS3 ports for much of this gen is the fact that A) 360 was the lead platform and B) Playstation 3 was harder to develop for. Even later in the generation when PS3 was being used as the lead platform, and the game was being ported to 360, the differences between the two were neglible. Both consoles are going to be easy to develop for this upcoming generation, and I just don't see 3rd party developers going out of their way to take advantage of one console over the other, or setting an end goal that the lowest common denominator can't achieve. Unless there's politics involved, ie. the developer being cozy with the platform holder.

Yea. And I doubt XB1's graphical woes will be anywhere near as bad as PS3's screwy architecture. Devs were talking shit about that forever.

harSon

Banned
Yea. And I doubt XB1's graphical woes will be anywhere near as bad as PS3's screwy architecture. Devs were talking shit about that forever.

Yup. When the graphical differences do arise, and they will, it's going to be within first party games and towards the middle/tail end of the generation.

Onemic

If both the PS4 and Xbone are easy to develop for, then I guess the most I can see is a situation similar to the PS2/Xbox era where multiplats looked slightly better on xbox even though PS2 was the lead platform. Even then the difference will not be enough that mainstream consumers or even gaf for that matter will really see much of a change in quality between the two versions, except for nitpickers.(It certainly didn't matter at all during the PS2/Xbox era) I'll still maintain my stance that what will most likely happen is that multiplats perform/look exactly the same between both consoles. The differences in specs between the two consoles dont really mean shit except when it comes to 1st/2nd party games

Top Bottom