• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Just been playing BF3 on PC. If I could put COD African American ops 2 weapons in BF3. it would be the perfect shooter

I wonder if the reason the guns suck in BF is because DICE isn't American, and they dont fetishize guns like we do. Because everything else crushes COD now that both games are 60fps.

Satch

Banned
Parallax you were right about the despised character thread.

i9axNMvmh5XHh.gif

Vire

I thought it would have been people getting into super heated arguments that would have done it.

Nope, it was acting "black"

Since you clearly lost the argument in the thread itself, I guess it's best to run back here and talk behind my back.

I explained very clearly why it felt forced. It's not a race issue, Tiny Tina is an annoying character in my opinion and you need to deal with it. Opinions! I'm not attacking you or anyone in this thread, I'm criticizing the way the character was handled.

Please stop with the persecution complex.

Vire

Sweet, this is happening.

Village feels like I'm attacking him when I'm not, the only thing I was criticizing was Gearbox's character of Tiny Tina.

This isn't personal and he or she trying to make it so, why I don't know.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Village feels like I'm attacking him when I'm not, the only thing I was criticizing was Gearbox's character of Tiny Tina.

Pretty bold to say shit like "stop with the persecution complex", but go ahead, dig your own grave.

3B8FbB2.png

I shit you not Kieran means "little dark one" in Irish....

I wonder what they will call him when he grows up.....

Ciarán (Irish) or Ciaran (Scottish)[1][2] is a Gaelic male given name meaning "little dark one" or "blacky",[3] produced by appending a diminutive suffix to ciar ("black", "dark").[4][5] The female form is Ciara.

omg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Since you clearly lost the argument in the thread itself, I guess it's best to run back here and talk behind my back.

I explained very clearly why it felt forced. It's not a race issue, Tiny Tina is an annoying character in my opinion and you need to deal with it. Opinions! I'm not attacking you or anyone in this thread, I'm criticizing the way the character was handled.

you could have stopped with her being annoying. anything after that is feeding the wolves. lesson learned i hope. dont go into detail when you dont have to.

dont pat yourself on the back too hard now.

Vire

you could have stopped with her being annoying. anything after that is feeding the wolves. lesson learned i hope. dont go into detail when you dont have to.

Apparently, I didn't know people where so sensitive to that character, I had no prior knowledge to that Kotaku article (which I don't even agree with) and I apologize if I offended anyone, that was not my intentions in the slightest and I'm sorry for that.

That being said, Tiny Tiny is still a terrible character.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

I always thought she was hilarious

DY_nasty

The one time I actually went in deep on a discussion about Tiny Tina-alikes and the 'culture' that they represent, it wasn't a discussion where everyone could participate in on equal ground due to a general lack of awareness on said 'culture'.

Basically, she's a product of an area of what the media has popularized. There's nothing wrong with that at all. And she's not all poorly written in that regard either. VA is good as well. When people say she's "acting black" that's where the disconnect should be acknowledged. She acts about as black as Miley Cyrus.

Village

I have returned from my mmo.

wat? I stopped arguing there because it was pointless, you felt like acting black was a thing. And then you went into detail and made it worse.

If you have better explanation for it, go for it. Its not a persecution complex, its calling you out on bull.

Vire

The one time I actually went in deep on a discussion about Tiny Tina-alikes and the 'culture' that they represent, it wasn't a discussion where everyone could participate in on equal ground due to a general lack of awareness on said 'culture'.

Basically, she's a product of an area of what the media has popularized. There's nothing wrong with that at all. And she's not all poorly written in that regard either. VA is good as well. When people say she's "acting black" that's where the disconnect should be acknowledged. She acts about as black as Miley Cyrus.

I guess that's my problem, she's basically Miley Cyrus. Just curious, did you find Miley popping in the gold teeth with the gun shots in "We Can't Stop" eye roll worthy? Because that's basically what I'm saying.

DY_nasty

I guess that's my problem, she's basically Miley Cyrus.

And there's no problem with Miley either.

Hell, she just happens to be the most notarized young white woman doing what many have been doing since the 80s. Its like when people say that she went crazy with Twerking this year, etc - that's horseshit. Miley has been getting shoutouts from rappers since she was 17. Her particular image, one of the young kid looking for an identity in something exciting and not too far, but far enough, from the norm is nothing new at all. One caught up in the flashy stuff from E! News and MTV almost entirely. Its almost a caricature.

Can't get mad at any kid for that.

And if a well put together character can hilariously mimic that entire image and creation, then awesome.
Just curious, did you find Miley popping in the gold teeth with the gun shots in "We Can't Stop" eye roll worthy? Because that's basically what I'm saying.

Not at all.

I'm not gonna sit here and wave my fist in the air like an old man who forgot all the off the wall shit young adults did in the 90s or 80s. She's tame as fuck by comparison. And she seems to genuinely enjoy doing it whereas even more do shit like that for money full-time.

Vire

And there's no problem with Miley either.

Hell, she just happens to be the most notarized young white woman doing what many have been doing since the 80s. Its like when people say that she went crazy with Twerking this year, etc - that's horseshit. Miley has been getting shoutouts from rappers since she was 17. Her particular image, one of the young kid looking for an identity in something exciting and not too far, but far enough, from the norm is nothing new at all. One caught up in the flashy stuff from E! News and MTV almost entirely. Its almost a caricature.

Can't get mad at any kid for that.

And if a well put together character can hilariously mimic that entire image and creation, then awesome.

So you are saying that she has enough credibility with that culture that she is allowed to pop in gold teeth with gun shots in her music video?

From my perspective it just comes off incredibly forced and sad, much like Tiny Tina. It's not the end of the world, nor is it "racist", I just found it annoying.

EDIT:

DY_nasty said:
Not at all.

I'm not gonna sit here and wave my fist in the air like an old man who forgot all the off the wall shit young adults did in the 90s or 80s. She's tame as fuck by comparison. And she seems to genuinely enjoy doing it whereas even more do shit like that for money full-time.

Fair enough.

Vire

Wasn't aware she needed a pass in order to do such. Who exactly determines if she gets a pass or not?

I'm assuming people like you.

If someone did a total caricature of my culture who isn't apart of it, (Judaism)... I think the people who are of that denomination have the most right away to at least make that kind of call.

DY_nasty

So you are saying that she has enough credibility with that culture that she is allowed to pop in gold teeth with gun shots in her music video?

From my perspective it just comes off incredibly forced and sad, much like Tiny Tina. It's not the end of the world, nor is it "racist", I just found it annoying.

EDIT:

Fair enough.

COMPLETELY missed my point.

Its not JUST hip-hop culture or some splinter of black culture that's being emulated here. Its huge sector of entertainment culture in general. Its reflected in how some say that she's 'acting black'. Look at what most people know about black people (wrong or right) - its almost entirely ideas formed from entertainment mediums. She was basically born into entertainment and to this day still eats, shits, and sleeps in it. Its a big bed and toilet though, so she slides from one spectrum to the next. Tiny Tina is similar in that she's also a young person who's been highly influenced by entertainment and its referenced as such repeatedly.

If someone did a total caricature of my culture who isn't apart of it, (Judaism)... I think the people who are of that denomination have the most right away to at least make that kind of call.

This is the problem. There is no 'black card'. Its general sarcasm that the majority took seriously. Also, Judaism is absolutely more concrete and internally connected than black culture ever will be. Firstly as a religion, secondly as a people who aren't generally a mesh from dozens of different backgrounds and sub-cultures.

So even if there was a proverbial black card handed to her or anyone, no one should expect that to work with the same two people.

Vire

COMPLETELY missed my point.

Its not JUST hip-hop culture or some splinter of black culture that's being emulated here. Its huge sector of entertainment culture in general. Its reflected in how some say that she's 'acting black'. Look at what most people know about black people (wrong or right) - its almost entirely ideas formed from entertainment mediums. She was basically born into entertainment and to this day still eats, shits, and sleeps in it. Its a big bed and toilet though, so she slides from one spectrum to the next. Tiny Tina is similar in that she's also a young person who's been highly influenced by entertainment and its referenced as such repeatedly.

So you are saying that she is emulating what she thinks black culture is based on pop culture in general rather than what it actually is? If that is the case, I would agree 100%.

Hence the sad and forced part. I guess you could call it as someone "finding themselves", but to me I don't see it that way, I see it as desperate attention seeking.

akira28

Does Tiny Tina think she's acting black?

Does Miley Cyrus know who Teena Marie is? (Do her producers for that matter? Probably)

Honestly Miley doesn't offend me at all. If she wants to twerk and make music with black artists more power to her. I personally get more offended at people who say thing like "she's trying to act black" more than anything.

Vire

Does Tiny Tina think she's acting black?

Does Miley Cyrus know who Teena Marie is?

:lol

I have no idea what goes on in Tina's small brain of hers, but I have to imagine she has some awareness of what she is doing.

Honestly Miley doesn't offend me at all. If she wants to twerk and make music with black artists more power to her. I personally get more offended at people who say thing like "she's trying to act black" more than anything.

"Trying to act black" is probably a lazy, and admittedly poor way of saying what people are trying to say, it's clear that she's trying to emulate another subset of a culture that she was not previously apart of. Which can be seen as desperate.

DY_nasty

So you are saying that she is emulating what she thinks black culture is based on pop culture in general rather than what it actually is? If that is the case, I would agree 100%.

Hence the sad and forced part. I guess you could call it as someone "finding themselves", but to me I don't see it that way, I see it as desperate attention seeking.
Yes.

But I wouldn't call it sad at all. Everyone emulates or imitates something from popular culture to a degree. And she's not even the biggest perpetrator of it in the public eye right now nor has she been the biggest of the past few decades.

She wants to grow up in the public eye and make money while doing it, no reason why she shouldn't. Desperate attention seeking is Ciara showing up basically naked to award shoes and nobodyhasbeens starting up self-funded reality TV shows for one season at a time. Miley's making money because people think she invented twerking, because people think she has a black card somewhere, and because people forgot that every 4 years a young pop artist finds a new way to sell sex. Whether it be masturbating on stage, bringing the schoolgirl look back, doing a pop song with the grimiest rapper in the game, or creating false vulnerabilities that imply sexuality - its the same game versus people who either cannot grasp it or people who don't want to admit that they're turning into their dad/mom bitching on the couch about how things were different when they were growing up.

Miley can't even fucking sing and here people are talking about her like she's got a hit song or something. She knows how to get money because believe it or not, people don't just create that kind of buzz on accident.

Edit: I also think its funny how "acting black" is a thing when the majority of people buying hip-hop stuff are not black anyways. They're not "acting black" they're acting the image laid out for them by producers.

Gorillaz

Miley is the realest pop artist out there, finally there is a pop star that has something meaningful to say /cliffyb

For real tho I will give her credit for all this "buzz" she created. Can't wait for her to tell the media she is going to rehab or has a breakdown. Then comes back with a "new look on life" and has a different tone of sound. People will eat it up as if this whole thing is organic. They always do.

Gotta give credit to her producer and manager. They are earning that pay

Vire

Yes.

But I wouldn't call it sad at all. Everyone emulates or imitates something from popular culture to a degree. And she's not even the biggest perpetrator of it in the public eye right now nor has she been the biggest of the past few decades.

She wants to grow up in the public eye and make money while doing it, no reason why she shouldn't. Desperate attention seeking is Ciara showing up basically naked to award shoes and nobodyhasbeens starting up self-funded reality TV shows for one season at a time. Miley's making money because people think she invented twerking, because people think she has a black card somewhere, and because people forgot that every 4 years a young pop artist finds a new way to sell sex. Whether it be masturbating on stage, bringing the schoolgirl look back, doing a pop song with the grimiest rapper in the game, or creating false vulnerabilities that imply sexuality - its the same game versus people who either cannot grasp it or people who don't want to admit that they're turning into their dad/mom bitching on the couch about how things were different when they were growing up.

Miley can't even fucking sing and here people are talking about her like she's got a hit song or something. She knows how to get money because believe it or not, people don't just create that kind of buzz on accident.

I'm not saying it's not a brilliant marketing/strategic move. Of course it is, and her music videos have certainly generated a ton of buzz because of these things.

But I am saying that she is selling her self out (of who she truly is) in order to further her music career. Which is why I used the word "forced". Unless who knows, maybe that's really who she is now, but I honestly find that hard to believe since she went from Disney princess to whatever "this" is practically overnight. As you stated, it seems like an image created by her producers and directors rather than her own doing.

akira28

:lol

I have no idea what goes on in Tina's small brain of hers, but I have to imagine she has some awareness of what she is doing.

in the far flung future on another planet? I think you may be imagining too hard.

adolescent mimicry of adult peers is probably more like it. Versus some kind of conscious decision to 'act black' and not 'white'.

DY_nasty

I'm not saying it's not a brilliant marketing/strategic move. Of course it is, and her music videos have certainly generated a ton of buzz because of these things.

But I am saying that she is selling her self out (of who she truly is) in order to further her music career. Which is why I used the word "forced". Unless who knows, maybe that's really who she is now, but I honestly find that hard to believe since she went from Disney princess to whatever "this" is practically overnight. As you stated, it seems like an image created by her producers and directors rather than her own doing.

First rule about entertainment:

Everyone who is good at their job that you've heard of on TV is a sellout.

And everyone from Disney is super eager to get away from that canned image as soon as possible. They have to maintain it at the cost of their family's well-being for nearly 10 years.

Top Bottom