• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Vire

Only on NeoGAF could you somehow do three degrees of separation between Tiny Tina and Miley Cyrus.

I'm calling it a night as it is 4 AM here, but its been a good discussion folks.

First rule about entertainment:

Everyone who is good at their job that you've heard of on TV is a sellout.

That right there is gospel.

It doesnt matter how hard someone has to go at any point in their career it is inevitable. And it happens in different ways......

Casting Couches, conforming on beliefs, sex tapes to build buzz, etc.....

We live in a culture that as of late has been defined by "shock value" and "hits and likes".

Listening to the police scanner is going to be my new thing at night. God damn. Learn police shorthand around Portland, hear about dudes with their pants down, dudes carrying heels, all kinds of wrong like domestic violence but the way the cops talk so matter of fact about it is too much.

DominoKid

Listening to the police scanner is going to be my new thing at night. God damn. Learn police shorthand around Portland, hear about dudes with their pants down, dudes carrying heels, all kinds of wrong like domestic violence but the way the cops talk so matter of fact about it is too much.

that used to be one of my favorite activities while high. it's oddly relaxing (until some big shit goes down) and very interesting.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

The best: https://www.facebook.com/BestOfTheLakeOswegoWestLinnPoliceBlotter

8/23/13 12:52 a.m. High school-aged kids thought to be up to no good were seen purchasing eggs at 7-Eleven.
8/26/13 8:16 a.m. A man eating a bowl of cereal while driving ran a stop sign in the 22900 block of Willamette Drive.

Welcome to upper-middle-class-Portland-suburbs!

It was a requirement at some of the sites I have worked on. My god its amazing to hear some of the shit that goes down. You would be amazed. Especially when its coming at you before warning calls.

This blotter is so good.

9/9/13 8:44 p.m. Two signs saying “Slow/Children Playing” have been stolen over the past two weeks on Diane Drive.

9/8/13 11:45 p.m. A suspected alarm in a neighborhood turned out to be crickets.

9/10/13 7:35 a.m. A neighbor boy entered a home in the 1400 block of Buck Street to leave a note on a girl’s bed.

9/12/13 6:22 a.m. A man screaming night after night from an apartment on Carman Drive is causing perplexed concern.

Edit wonder what this one was about! :

8/27/13 8:28 p.m. Two suspicious men with a basketball were seen entering Midhill Park. Officers found them playing basketball.

Slayven

3B8FbB2.png

I shit you not Kieran means "little dark one" in Irish....

I wonder what they will call him when he grows up.....

See Dy, your seed will now grow into Ripclaw 2.0

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Sup fam! My weekend went thus:

went for a spa day (gift from a friend, don't ask)
Hit it off with the masseuse
Masseuse joined me and some friends after for drinks, dinner and clubbing
Really hit it off with masseuse in the club
Happy ending (laugh it up)
Woke up to a free massage (insert joke here)

Am now home, having had minimal sleep, and more tired after a trip designed to de-stress. All worth it. Gonna grab some sleep then watch NFL for the rest of the day.

Slayven

Sup fam! My weekend went thus:

went for a spa day (gift from a friend, don't ask)
Hit it off with the masseuse
Masseuse joined me and some friends after for drinks, dinner and clubbing
Really hit it off with masseuse in the club
Happy ending (laugh it up)
Woke up to a free massage (insert joke here)

Am now home, having had minimal sleep, and more tired after a trip designed to de-stress. All worth it. Gonna grab some sleep then watch NFL for the rest of the day.
Dat Eagle Vision.

BHZ Mayor

It's kinda blowing my mind right now that "Still D.R.E." and "The Next Episode" are old enough to be considered 'classic'. I think what's really throwing me off is the fact they were comeback songs and they're being played on the same station as 90's Too Short, Cube, DJ Quik, etc.

I didn't even click on the Thor thread, I knew shit was gon get cray. I will say that if you want a good Thor story, you could do a hell of alot worse than the recent "God Butcher/Godbomb" story from Thor: God of Thunder. That shit was seriously godlike.

3B8FbB2.png

I shit you not Kieran means "little dark one" in Irish....

I wonder what they will call him when he grows up.....

That baby is SO CUTE. Ahem.

How much you bet they call him K.J.? And how much you bet they thought that calling him "little dark one" was cute? And how much you bet that child will be shaved bald (possibly by Mitt, he's pretty good with the clippers) from his 2nd birthday until he's old enough to deal with his own hair?

Kreed

"Trying to act black" is probably a lazy, and admittedly poor way of saying what people are trying to say, it's clear that she's trying to emulate another subset of a culture that she was not previously apart of. Which can be seen as desperate.

It's not just lazy, it's offensive, particularly those of us in this thread/on this forum who are black and have been told on at least one occasion from people of another ethnic group that we are "so well spoken", "you speak so well", or in some cases flat out "you don't act black". Good rule of thumb is just avoid using the phrase "acting like x skin color/ethnic group" to describe anyone or anything except when making a joke (and make sure you're good at doing it aka Chappelle).

It also didn't help that two of your annoying characters in your OP were people of color and now the third out of the 5 was "acting black". Now mind you, I've never played any of the games you mentioned outside of Final Fantasy and maybe they are all legitimately annoying, but tossing in "acting black"...anyway I think you know to avoid saying that again.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I didn't even click on the Thor thread, I knew shit was gon get cray. I will say that if you want a good Thor story, you could do a hell of alot worse than the recent "God Butcher/Godbomb" story from Thor: God of Thunder. That shit was seriously godlike.

yeah, we kinda rode off the rails on that one.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Attack on Titan 24 made me ignore calls from bad bitches last night.

Problem = Solved.

DY_nasty

Jesus fuck the 2nd GGXrd trailer

I don't even know what to do with my hands when I watch this shit

DY_nasty

oL53UtK.png
i need that.

i gotta get my money up for 2014.

And I don't know if Heavy Day reflects the entire soundtrack or not, but GGXX's soundtrack got me into rock/metal.

Heavy Day goes hard as fuck. Everything is so right. :eek:

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I don't understand how "I don't like music" or "I hate music" is a valid opinion. How are you gonna not like ANY music?

ReiGun

I don't understand how "I don't like music" or "I hate music" is a valid opinion. How are you gonna not like ANY music?

I have a friend like that. He doesn't say he hates music, but he admits he doesn't really listen to or particularly enjoy any. If you ask him, even he doesn't really know why.

DominoKid

Interesting SW7 news.

"These rumors once again come from Latino Review, who have a solid history with their scoops. But unlike a lot of the previous casting hints we've heard, this latest bit does not appear to be for one of the children of Luke, Han, or Leia.

Apparently, The Butler’s David Oyelowo and Fruitvale Station’s Michael B. Jordan have both been contacted for an unknown role or roles. Jordan, who has also been rumored for the Fantastic Four reboot (as Johnny Storm), even apparently met with Episode VII director J.J. Abrams personally. (Both actors, by the way, appeared in the George Lucas-produced Red Tails a couple of years back.)"

If they're choosing between the two I hope they pick Wallace.

Top Bottom