• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

FyreWulff

Did made an entirely new OS

Gaben's all about that empire business now

99% chance it's a reskinned Ubuntu

Even the color scheme matches Ubuntu Unity's default purple-y look

ubuntu1104alpha1-large_00a.jpg

harSon

Banned
It's kind of a useless venture IMO. It's never going to achieve 100% compatibility, and with that in mind, they're better off biting the bullet and loading their SteamBox with Windows. I know they're going to try and expand their market past the hardcore gamer, but as it stands now, that's their core consumer BY FAR. Which is an issue considering that this is a consumer group that is tech savvy enough to hook their computers up to their television. Why would I choose Steam OS over a Windows PC running XBMC, Advanced Launcher and Steam Big Picture mode. I get all of the functionality of Steam OS as far as a console experience is concerned, I have a capable HTPC on top of that and I get 100% compatibility to boot.

FyreWulff

Windows would mean they'd have to pay MS a per-box fee.

They want control and minimal overhead. For the same reason Nintendo doesn't bother to allow DVD or Blu Ray playback on their consoles - they'd rather keep the money. My guess is they're going to hope their first-party titles will be enough to attract people, then developers will follow suit with Linux compatible versions.

harSon

Banned
Well it's cost saving versus having a box that actually has a chance at being incredibly successful.

Edit: It's only real selling point IMO is its streaming features, and even that is dependent on an existing Windows gaming PC...

FyreWulff

Let's be honest, Windows 8 is not doing so hot itself. And MS is not issuing OEM Windows 7 anymore.

The reason you hear everyone coming out with their own OS and box is not because the gaming industry is strong, but because all of the Big 3 are in a weak position and now's the time to try and get in. You'll probably hear about Amazon's box soon.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
harSon said:
Microsoft can do no wrong. Ever
Seriously though, while I somewhat agree about Steam's core market and my own use (don't really have an existing desire for such) I see it as having more potential than what we can initially see. I understand what you are saying right now but this is a positive thing. The war for the living room just entered a new phase and more competition is something I welcome with open arms.

I'm not loyal to any of the big three. Show me something great. Impress me. Convince me your tech has value and I'll be there.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
while this steambox thing is interesting, im not getting the supposed megaton like reactions from this

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
while this steambox thing is interesting, im not getting the supposed megaton like reactions from this
Just GAF being GAF. It has been predicted for a long time. But we're in the eye of the storm, the eerie calm right before the big marketing push in a few weeks leading up to the launch of a new generation of consoles. People just want something to get crazy about.

harSon

Banned
Seriously though, while I somewhat agree about Steam's core market and my own use (don't really have an existing desire for such) I see it as having more potential than what we can initially see. I understand what you are saying right now but this is a positive thing. The war for the living room just entered a new phase and more competition is something I welcome with open arms.

I'm not loyal to any of the big three. Show me something great. Impress me. Convince me your tech has value and I'll be there.

What does my post have to do with Microsoft lmao? I didn't even compliment Windows, just the fact that it has near 100% compatibility, but that's due to market share and Microsoft's ability to sustain a monopoly, as opposed to anything they've done in recent years. If anything, I complimented XBMC, which is open-source software and heavily invested into Linux...

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
What does my post have to do with Microsoft lmao? I didn't even compliment Windows, just the fact that it has near 100% compatibility, but that's due to market share and Microsoft's ability to sustain a monopoly, as opposed to anything they've done in recent years. If anything, I complimented XBMC, which is open-source software and heavily invested into Linux...
Just a joke man, just a joke...unless it's true???

But nah, I'm just curious to see where this tech will go.

This is massive.

Valve already schooled Microsoft on PC gaming, now they're going after the entire OS. And just like they did with Steam they'll probably build a much better product than MS did. HUGE.

This probably won’t register with console fans right away but SteamOS is potentially as big a story as Xbox One/PS4. Maybe bigger.

My eyes almost rolled out of my head

I'm confused entirely what's Steam OS?

As far as I can tell it's a Linux based OS that will allow you to turn any PC into a Steambox. The ability to stream games from a Non-SteamOS PC or Mac that has regular Steam will bridge the gap in the library for games that don't have native SteamOS support.

There's a lot of speculation about how SteamOS could be integrated in non-PC devices as well (like Smart TV's) but that's a wait and see theory.

It's a cool idea with a lot of room for growth. It provides a lot more flexibility than just having straight forward Steam branded PC's.

What you and millions others will say.

Steams version of windows. But Linux, which no one has time for unless you are an uber nerd.

The bold really depends on how Steam designs the OS. If the goal is to be a gaming based OS, it could easily be similar to what we see on PS3/PS4. If they want to add the ability to be more multi-purpose than just Gaming... then yeah it could be more confusing for casual users.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm confused entirely what's Steam OS?

It's apparently a Linux-based OS created by Valve, which is optimized for gaming performance. It will be free, as Linux distributions tend to be, and you can install it on "living room machines" of some kind. It will play Linux versions of games, or allow you to stream Windows games from your desktop.

That's basically all we know for now.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

There are two more related announcements coming later this week.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It's a Linux distro which will play Linux games on Steam and stream games that are Windows/Mac only. That's my take on it and honestly we fit in the same spot as casual consumers except on the opposite end of the spectrum; we already know enough to do what we want rather than bother with it.

At this point in time it doesn't look like something I want. But I'm still listening.

harSon

Banned
It's apparently a Linux-based OS created by Valve, which is optimized for gaming performance. It will be free, as Linux distributions tend to be, and you can install it on "living room machines" of some kind. It will play Linux versions of games, or allow you to stream Windows games from your desktop.

That's basically all we know for now.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

There are two more related announcements coming later this week.

They should remove the rod lodged firmly into their ass, and simply bridge the bolded by making it Windows based and maintaining the streaming capabilities. By pushing Linux, all they're going to accomplish is at best create a niche product, or at worst, splinter PC gaming if they get dirty (Valve Steam OS exclusives, exclusive partnerships, etc) with trying to force its success.

Nakazato

Just watched that video of DMX choosing drugs over his son. Sad.

my uncle did that with his wife and 2 kids...

Attack on Titan 24 made me ignore calls from bad bitches last night.

Problem = Solved.

.......... im dissapointed

Edit: If im not on for a few days it because i have work out of town. Dont want ppl to think im going mufasa

Edit 2: Im surprised HarSon didnt drink himself in to a coma last night....

harSon

Banned
Roma/Gypsie threads have always been ridiculous on these boards. I stopped reading them a few years ago... It always made my head spin to see people try and justify their ignorance.

FyreWulff

That Roma thread is pretty gross.

https://twitter.com/fyrewulff/status/382166370667876352

It's a Linux distro which will play Linux games on Steam and stream games that are Windows/Mac only. That's my take on it and honestly we fit in the same spot as casual consumers except on the opposite end of the spectrum; we already know enough to do what we want rather than bother with it.

At this point in time it doesn't look like something I want. But I'm still listening.

Feels to me they're introducing their Linux distro first, then they'll introduce a standard minimum box they want people to build Steam Linux for. Essentially do all the software side of a console, but put the vast majority of the risk of hardware on other companies. They're probably trying to get out ahead of the impending announcement of Amazon hardware.

What kind of games will run on it? I dont think a lot of games support Linux.

All of Valve's games will eventually. Anything made with Unity is a given. CryEngine is being ported to Linux.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
my uncle did that with his wife and 2 kids...
It's just fucked up. Especially the way he tries to play it off like the son is the one being unreasonable when he simply asked him to be clean in order to have a relationship with him.
That Roma thread is pretty gross.
The true definition of slippery slope lies with a lot of the "reasons" being posted.

Nakazato

It's just fucked up. Especially the way he tries to play it off like the son is the one being unreasonable when he simply asked him to be clean in order to have a relationship with him.

Yep They asked him to do the same thing.... He got clean for like 6-9 months now he's worst then he's ever been

But with all the crazy substance abuse in my family I cant say im not surprised

Top Bottom