• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

I have found that the "Zelda Cycle" is a lot of BS, because no two Zelda fans agree on which ones are the best and the worst(although OoT and LttP tend to be the most popular choices). There are a lot of WW fans out there, but I'm not one of them. I prefer TP and SS as far as 3D Zeldas go.

Slayven

I have found that the "Zelda Cycle" is a lot of BS, because no two Zelda fans agree on which ones are the best and the worst(although OoT and LttP tend to be the most popular choices). There are a lot of WW fans out there, but I'm not one of them. I prefer TP and SS as far as 3D Zeldas go.

I was good after A Link to The Past. But I will sometimes fuck with Crossbow training.

ReiGun

Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda hands down, followed by TP and Ocarina. I can't really think of a Zelda I played and didn't enjoy.

Gorillaz

Done with food trucks. Was fine last night, got a few numbers, did a mix of beer/whiskey. Doing decent. Fucked it all up by buying 3 hot dogs from this grease truck. Spent half the morning throwing that shit up. Roommate laughing at me and shit, taking pictures

Also OoT is still GOAT. MM is 2nd and 3rd is a toss up but TP is probably it for me.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Done with food trucks. Was fine last night, got a few numbers, did a mix of beer/whiskey. Doing decent. Fucked it all up by buying 3 hot dogs from this grease truck. Spent half the morning throwing that shit up. Roommate laughing at me and shit, taking pictures.
Similar thing happened to me. Put me off hotdogs in general for a while. Truck food is gross.

RedSwirl

that video made me sick

i hate watching people crash and burn like that because the second hand embarrassment just makes me physically ill

That's why I'm not clicking that link.

This is what I've been saying all along. Nobody even agrees on what makes the Zelda games great. The franchise has come to mean different things to different people.

Fuck Majora's Mask though.

Onemic

Sounds about right.

Had to read the wiki to fully understand EoE. Vaginas growing out of foreheads and hands? Masturbating to comatose bodies? Choking chicks out? That's whats hot in the streets? The last two episodes did a better job of explaining the ending than EoE did personally. I guess EoE just sorta bridges 24 and 25, and explains all the external shit that went down before we get into Shinji's dumbass head.

...And ya, Shinji is the most pathetic character I've ever had to watch in any anime. Maybe even any TV show.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Had to read the wiki to fully understand EoE. Vaginas growing out of foreheads and hands? Masturbating to comatose bodies? Choking chicks out? That's whats hot in the streets? The last two episodes did a better job of explaining the ending than EoE did personally. I guess EoE just sorta bridges 24 and 25, and explains all the external shit that went down before we get into Shinji's dumbass head.

...And ya, Shinji is the most pathetic character I've ever had to watch in any anime. Maybe even any TV show.
Shinji is supposed to resemble shitty otaku fans, basement dwellers, etc.

He's pretty spot on. Everyone else being a mediocre character at best is the problem.

harSon

Banned
I think End of Evangelion gave me more wtf's than the last 2 episodes of Envangelion.

.....seriously, wtf.

All growing boys masturbate over friends in comas.

Watch the movies now! I fucking hate the series, but I find myself watching everything with its name attached.....

RedSwirl

I thought I was the only one who actually preferred ep 25 and 26, but I haven't watched Eva in like a decade.

He's pretty spot on. Everyone else being a mediocre character at best is the problem.

This is what I took away from it too. The whole purpose of the character was to reflect the audience's own weaknesses. It's just a question of whether they went too far. I at least appreciate the show for trying to have an extremely flawed protagonist.

Onemic

All growing boys masturbate over friends in comas.

Watch the movies now! I fucking hate the series, but I find myself watching everything with its name attached.....

The movies are just a retelling of the series with the last movie still yet to be announced right?

DY_nasty

The movies are just a retelling of the series with the last movie still yet to be announced right?
No.

The new movies are some alternate timeline/universe shit. 1.1 was basically a retelling, but it's off the rails midway through 2.2. 3 is waaay different (and just plain bad). 4 might not even be worth watching.

I have never watched Evangelion. The only thing I know is the episode where Shinji and Asuka have to team up and fight some creature at the same time because I friend of mine was referencing that and Pacific Rim. I knew this other cat who told me he refused to watch it because it is how he put it "blasphemous". So what's the verdict family, for a guy who likes sentai, mecha and SMT should I give it a shot?

Also never played Majoras Mask but love the shit out of OoT. But LttP is possible my favorite out of all the Zelda's. I respect WW and TP though.

And totally away from topic, what's everyone's take on Valkyria Chronicles? Personally I loved the game and wished they had a sequel on a console instead of a handheld.

And Project Xzone is pretty solid so far.

Also never played Majoras Mask but love the shit out of OoT. But LttP is possible my favorite out of all the Zelda's. I respect WW and TP though.

And totally away from topic, what's everyone's take on Valkyria Chronicles? Personally I loved the game and wished they had a sequel on a console instead of a handheld.

MM is the greatest Zelda game ever made.

And VC totally needed a sequel on a console.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I have never watched Evangelion. The only thing I know is the episode where Shinji and Asuka have to team up and fight some creature at the same time because I friend of mine was referencing that and Pacific Rim. I knew this other cat who told me he refused to watch it because it is how he put it "blasphemous". So what's the verdict family, for a guy who likes sentai, mecha and SMT should I give it a shot?

the only thing blasphemous is the amount of importance certain people like to place on it. other than that, its whack.

and links awakening is the best zelda. hands down.

DY_nasty

Damn near everything animated is 'blasphemous'. That's not even a real criticism in my book.

Its worth watching. The animation alone makes it worth it. The story is trippy, the characters are meh, the protagonist is 'memorable' to say the least.

DY_nasty

the only thing blasphemous is the amount of importance certain people like to place on it. other than that, its whack.

and links awakening is the best zelda. hands down.

I don't like saying its simply 'bad' because there are plenty of things out that there are straight up shit and it will never belong in that pile. Its a high quality product that many people see differently. Its like the Obama administration of anime. It'll always stand out, the ripple effects are going to be felt for a long time, and in the short-run many people will have vastly different opinions about it. Overall, its worth checking out.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Haunted House reactions are back, yo

hH7A3G1.png

harSon

Banned
3 started off decent enough. The rest is pretty much a waste of money and everyone's time.

I bet Harson would love it though.

Naw, I don't even like anime anymore. The narratives are shit 99% of the time. If it ain't Satoshi Kon, Miyazaki or Shinichirō Watanabe (directed only) then I can do without it. And with Kon deceased and Miyazaki retiring, my already diminished hopes for anime are pretty much going to vanish completely. There's a few other notables, but they're far and few between. Makoto Shinkai and Mamoru Hosoda are cool, but I can't fuck with 95% of these low brow animes anymore.

Onemic

Ya, I understand that they tried to make shinji relatable to most anime fans and his inner conflict deals with that pretty well. doesn't make him any less pathetic of a character though. Like, I was happy the dude was finally able to accept himself, but the steps needed to get him to that point just made me scratch my head.

The fact that it took him not only essentially gaining the powers of God, but also having to be guided like a damn baby by rei/lilith/whatever after the fact to finally face and accept his flaws and inner turmoil speaks volumes to how much of a dumbass he is.

Overall though, I still enjoyed it and its def one of the better animes I've seen, even with its flaws.

DY_nasty

Naw, I don't even like anime anymore. The narratives are shit 99% of the time. If it ain't Satoshi Kon, Miyazaki or Shinichirō Watanabe (directed only) then I can do without it. And with Kon deceased and Miyazaki retiring, my already diminished hopes for anime are pretty much going to vanish completely. There's a few other notables, but they're far and few between. Makoto Shinkai and Mamoru Hosoda are cool, but I can't fuck with 95% of these low brow animes anymore.

The reason why I hate the argument of "95% of anime is bullshit" is because 95% of everything fucking sucks.

Its a form of media, not a monolithic entity. Movies suck. Games suck. Music sucks. Sports suck. Books suck. Piling on animation for being like every other form of entertainment is stupid.

Slayven

The reason why I hate the argument of "95% of anime is bullshit" is because 95% of everything fucking sucks.

Its a form of media, not a monolithic entity. Movies suck. Games suck. Music sucks. Sports suck. Books suck. Piling on animation for being like every other form of entertainment is stupid.

Yeah but you have to admit it has gotten harder to find the good stuff. But that has to do with Japan's running of the industry more than anything.

$75 bucks for a 3 ep dvd? Only the moe nuts pay those prices.

DY_nasty

Yeah but you have to admit it has gotten harder to find the good stuff. But that has to do with Japan's running of the industry more than anything.

True, but the same can be said for comics as well.

How do I know not to avoid Loeb? How do I know that the present Teen Titans isn't the best version of it? How do I know that Nolan's Batman isn't the best? If people spent the same effort on sifting through a foreign medium that they do on their favorite, and acknowledged that there is a similar hurdle for them all, then they could get over their own constructs of meh and get on to something good and new.

Village

I would say Lack of advertising and a competent delivery system to the west rather than quality though.

Anyways black gaff, what ya'll up to.

I am drawing a picture.

harSon

Banned

Nah, it's a perfectly legitimate argument and 95% is probably an incredibly charitable figure. It's purely opinion of course, but I'm lucky if I come across one anime series per year that I believe is worth a shit. I'm a lot more lenient on movies because the time commitment is 90-180 minutes max, while anime is 12-24 thirty minute episodes minimum, barring OAVs and animated movies of course.

Shounens don't do it for me anymore either, so I'm not exactly fond of stuff like Gurren Lagann and Attack on Titan. When I'm throwing down the type of investment demanded by a series, I'm fully expecting something with some depth. Something like Planetes or Monster for example is infinitely more appealing to me than bullshit like Code Geass. There are certainly a few shows outside of my element that I enjoy, but for the most part, they just don't produce too many shows that line up with my sensibilities.

Slayven

True, but the same can be said for comics as well.

How do I know not to avoid Loeb? How do I know that the present Teen Titans isn't the best version of it? How do I know that Nolan's Batman isn't the best? If people spent the same effort on sifting through a foreign medium that they do on their favorite, and acknowledged that there is a similar hurdle for them all, then they could get over their own constructs of meh and get on to something good and new.

Will comics are in english, but with anime unless you know Moonspeak you are at the mercy of subbers or the companies.

Village

Nah, it's a perfectly legitimate argument and 95% is probably an incredibly charitable figure. It's purely opinion of course, but I'm lucky if I come across one anime series per year that I believe is worth a shit. I'm a lot more lenient on movies because the time commitment is 90-180 minutes max, while anime is 12-24 thirty minute episodes minimum, barring OAVs and animated movies of course.

Shounens don't do it for me anymore either, so I'm not exactly fond of stuff like Gurren Lagann and Attack on Titan. When I'm throwing down the type of investment demanded by a series, I'm fully expecting something with some depth. Something like Planetes or Monster for example is infinitely more appealing to me than bullshit like Code Geass. There are certainly a few shows outside of my element that I enjoy, but for the most part, they just don't produce too many shows that line up with my sensibilities.

Here is a thought.

Hear me out.

You ever think that maybe you have changed, and not the animu.

Slayven

I would say Lack of advertising and a competent delivery system to the west rather than quality though.

Anyways black gaff, what ya'll up to.

I am drawing a picture.

Toei is coming out with a subscriber internet channel for their old Toku(Kamen Rider, Sentai, Etc) shows for America next year.

harSon

Banned
Here is a thought.

Hear me out.

You ever think that maybe you have changed, and not the animu.

I sort of eluded to that in the post, and even went as far as saying that it's all opinion. Regardless, I still think that there was a definite shift in the type of animes that are regularly produced.

Village

Toei is coming out with a subscriber internet channel for their old Toku(Kamen Rider, Sentai, Etc) shows for America next year.

That's really good.

The real issue, epically with places like jump is the kids market. They do not have like a guaranteed super hit delivery system anymore. First it would require Jump to make an animu kids wanted to watch, because no one likes toriko and the rest seemed to be more teen-age-ey. Which isnt a bad thing, but I am sure Jump is going to want something to full the money void when Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach die. They how they gonna make money in not Japan. Is the issue,

Someone needs to make an after school thing with animu in it, any takers?

Top Bottom