• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

RedSwirl

They made a whole anime block over in Japan called "noitamina" just for hosting non-moe stuff to try to regain general audiences. People in the industry over there have acknowledged it's a problem, even with games -- everybody's doubled down on the obsessive Otaku market.

Distribution to the west has gotten better, or at least more sensible. Simulcasts and not-fucked-up DVD/Blu-Ray prices are a step in the right direction. I think the next problem they need to tackle is the manga industry, 'cause they still haven't really decided how they plan to take it to digital. You give me some legal DRM-free manga (which'll never happen) and I'm there. In comics hopefully what Image is doing (they dropped DRM for their digital comics if you don't know) will have an affect on other people.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Nah, it's a perfectly legitimate argument and 95% is probably an incredibly charitable figure. It's purely opinion of course, but I'm lucky if I come across one anime series per year that I believe is worth a shit. I'm a lot more lenient on movies because the time commitment is 90-180 minutes max, while anime is 12-24 thirty minute episodes minimum, barring OAVs and animated movies of course.

Shounens don't do it for me anymore either, so I'm not exactly fond of stuff like Gurren Lagann and Attack on Titan. When I'm throwing down the type of investment demanded by a series, I'm fully expecting something with some depth. Something like Planetes or Monster for example is infinitely more appealing to me than bullshit like Code Geass. There are certainly a few shows outside of my element that I enjoy, but for the most part, they just don't produce too many shows that line up with my sensibilities.
So, basically, if you just casually peruse anime in the same way you'd casually navigate the music industry, you may find one or two albums outside of your favorite genre/anime series that peak your curiosity. You being lenient on movies might be because your fancy yourself as a movie critic and connoisseur. Your taste in movies, and this shouldn't surprise you by now, is a bit different than many and you find yourself enjoying things in movies that many others do not, which I don't think is a far reaching assumption either. So, knowing that, why doesn't that allow you to acknowledge your own walls and realize that you are inherently limiting yourself based on biases and preconceived notions? I'm not saying "try something new" because that's a given. I'm saying that your argument can be placed in front of any medium and be used as a way to justify not ever branching out for an incredibly weak reason.
Whats a good horror anime?

That's a fucking pandora's box if I've ever seen one. I'm not even brave enough to ask that question out loud and I've been shot at nearly a dozen times.

Bait thread?

DV5lJ.png

harSon

Banned
So, basically, if you just casually peruse anime in the same way you'd casually navigate the music industry, you may find one or two albums outside of your favorite genre/anime series that peak your curiosity. You being lenient on movies might be because your fancy yourself as a movie critic and connoisseur. Your taste in movies, and this shouldn't surprise you by now, is a bit different than many and you find yourself enjoying things in movies that many others do not, which I don't think is a far reaching assumption either. So, knowing that, why doesn't that allow you to acknowledge your own walls and realize that you are inherently limiting yourself based on biases and preconceived notions? I'm not saying "try something new" because that's a given. I'm saying that your argument can be placed in front of any medium and be used as a way to justify not ever branching out for an incredibly weak reason.

My tastes in film are actually in line with most people's, but as I said, I tend to only post my impressions when they're at odds with the status quo. Some of my favorite movies of the year are Star Trek Into Darkness, World War Z, Fast & Furious 6, The Place Beyond the Pines, Mud, 42, The Conjuring, etc. Or basically, many of the same movies as the mainstream. But like every other person in existence, I have opinions towards films that may or may not jive with the consensus. I have them, you have them... everyone has them.

And you're assuming that I'm some snob who sticks to his box and refuses to venture outside of it. That's not the case. Every single season I try on a multitude of shows to try and rekindle my interest in anime, and every single season I come away disappointed for the most part. I'd concede my predicament completely to difference in taste, but it's a phenomenon that's commonplace among many anime watchers. I agree 100% that even in the supposed "Golden Years" of anime, it was the same situation as any form of media, ie. a few good eggs for every 1-2 dozen bad ones. But similar to video games and the transition between various generations, I don't think it can be argued that there was a definite shift in the types of animes being created now. And similar to video games, there are people who "age" out of them due to this very shift.

That's not to say that good animes aren't being created, overall consensus suggests that they are, simply that if you're not a fan of the types of animes being created at large, then clearly you're not going to enjoy anime as a whole.

DY_nasty

My tastes in film are actually in line with most people's
You like Cloud Atlas and Man With The Iron Fists. Time to embrace the mirror, ~niggaa~
but as I said, I tend to only post my impressions when they're at odds with the status quo. Some of my favorite movies of the year are Star Trek Into Darkness, World War Z, Fast & Furious 6, The Place Beyond the Pines, Mud, 42, The Conjuring, etc. Or basically, many of the same movies as the mainstream. But like every other person in existence, I have opinions towards films that may or may not jive with the consensus. I have them, you have them... everyone has them.

And you're assuming that I'm some snob who sticks to his box and refuses to venture outside of it. That's not the case. Every single season I try on a multitude of shows to try and rekindle my interest in anime, and every single season I come away disappointed for the most part. I'd concede my predicament completely to difference in taste, but it's a phenomenon that's commonplace anime watchers. I agree 100% that even in the supposed "Golden Years" of anime, it was the same situation as any form of media, ie. a few good eggs for every 1-2 dozen bad ones. But similar to video games and the transition between various generations, I don't think it can be argued that there was a definite shift in the types of animes being created now. And similar to video games, there are people who "age" out of them due to this very shift.

That's not to say that good animes aren't being created, overall consensus suggests that they are, simply that if you're not a fan of the types of animes being created at large, then clearly you're not going to enjoy anime as a whole.

I'm just gonna say simply that if you gave the actual fuck to go through as many movies/games/comics/books/tv shows with the win, lose, or draw attitude that you so willingly adopt with your natural preferences, then you'd probably find a better collection of anime to watch as well. Saying you don't enjoy anime as a whole is just as dumb as saying that you don't enjoy hip-hop or rock as a whole. Just take the selfie and be like "I don't even bother looking into the shit like I would the normal things I sift through so its much easier for me to say that it is all either good/bad in order to justify the way I feel because its easier to be lazy".

harSon

Banned
You like Cloud Atlas and Man With The Iron Fists. Time to embrace the mirror, ~niggaa~

I'm just gonna say simply that if you gave the actual fuck to go through as many movies/games/comics/books/tv shows with the win, lose, or draw attitude that you so willingly adopt with your natural preferences, then you'd probably find a better collection of anime to watch as well. Saying you don't enjoy anime as a whole is just as dumb as saying that you don't enjoy hip-hop or rock as a whole. Just take the selfie and be like "I don't even bother looking into the shit like I would the normal things I sift through so its much easier for me to say that it is all either good/bad in order to justify the way I feel because its easier to be lazy".

Cloud Atlas is liked by the majority of critics and viewers! Why does overall consensus only mean something when it backs your opinions?

And it's almost like you just looked at my post, said "fuck it, I ain't readin' shit" and decided to write a post. I start roughly 2-3 animes per season. They're typically a mix of the most popular series among the masses and stuff that I personally believe looks interesting, and 9 times out of 10 I fail to finish the series out of a lack of interest. I'm not the biggest fan of today's anime (a lot of the anime series that I have completed lately are from the 80s/90s/early 2000s) but it's not due to a lack of effort, that's just some BS you cooked up. Hell, I think I make a post in the anime thread every year asking for recommendations, and I tend to watch a decent amount of them.

Whats a good horror anime?

Perfect Blue's an excellent film, and Mononoke might fit the bill as far as series' are concerned.

Onemic

Cloud Atlas is liked by the majority of critics and viewers! Why does overall consensus only mean something when it backs your opinions?

And it's almost like you just looked at my post, said "fuck it, I ain't readin' shit" and decided to write a post. I start roughly 2-3 animes per season. They're typically a mix of the most popular series among the masses and stuff that I personally believe looks interesting, and 9 times out of 10 I fail to finish the series out of a lack of interest. I'm not the biggest fan of today's anime (a lot of the anime series that I have completed lately are from the 80s/90s/early 2000s) but it's not due to a lack of effort, that's just some BS you cooked up. Hell, I think I make a post in the anime thread every year asking for recommendations, and I tend to watch a decent amount of them.

Naw bruh

I'd even argue the viewers part too, but that would be anecdotal.

It's certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, and a 7.6/10 rating on IMDB with 171,000 votes. Just saying. You can disagree with the consensus, but the consensus says that it's a pretty good movie.

"real people dont vote on IMDB! it bombed in the streets!!! ask around at any barbershop..."

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
GTA V helicopters can take a running jump off a high cliff. Fuck that crap. Even with flying stat maxed.

Even worse than those ass backwards RDR horse controls.

IrishNinja

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
lmao @ that meek mill picture.

If Trevor talks down to Franklin one more time while I'm in control of Franklin, he's getting dropped with the shotty, in broooooadddd day. :mad:

GTA V helicopters can take a running jump off a high cliff. Fuck that crap. Even with flying stat maxed.

Even worse than those ass backwards RDR horse controls.

One of my few gripes with the game was helicopters.
So much so that I tried to avoid flying them unless required for a mission. But plane controls and driving grew on me as time went on.

DominoKid

idk what R* was thinking when they made the helicopters for GTA 5.

after they showed that first helicopter course in Flight School i'm like
q3Eddw3.gif

i like the planes though.

harSon

Banned
After today, I'm confident that putting together cheap retail store furniture is probably one of the worst jobs in existence.

DY_nasty

With Attack on Titan done, I don't know where to go for my weekly hype.

I need feels :(

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
With Attack on Titan done, I don't know where to go for my weekly hype.

I need feels :(

You need some uplifting crazy in your life bro. You need to watch war on geminar. The tenchi muyo sequel that toonami GAF has been waiting for.

idk what R* was thinking when they made the helicopters for GTA 5.

after they showed that first helicopter course in Flight School i'm like
q3Eddw3.gif

i like the planes though.

Complete opposite.

The choppers were easier than the planes, but when given the choice, I used the planes once and that was it. Otherwise, cars and superior driving skills.

At least Flight School/airfield wasn't mandatory this time. At 4 of my friends never beat San Andreas because of that.

cdyhybrid

Yo what the fuck is with people being fucking dicks outside of their goddamn jurisdiction. Huge ass line outside Encore so we walked down to The Strip to catch a cab and the dude manning the taxi line ran his ass all the way down to the street to try and shut shit down. Motherfucker I'm gonna pay this cab to run your ass over.

Slayven

Yo what the fuck is with people being fucking dicks outside of their goddamn jurisdiction. Huge ass line outside Encore so we walked down to The Strip to catch a cab and the dude manning the taxi line ran his ass all the way down to the street to try and shut shit down. Motherfucker I'm gonna pay this cab to run your ass over.

*throws chair*

Slayven

The $399 PS4 and $499 Xbox One represent the first major upgrades of mainstream gaming hardware in years, setting game developers scrambling to put out new releases that take advantage of better graphics and faster processors.

They are scheduled to hit store shelves from mid-November, about a year after Nintendo's slow-selling Wii U. Of the 1,297 respondents, only 3 percent said they now played games on the Wii U, versus 20 percent on the Xbox 360, 20 percent on computers, and 18 percent on Sony's PlayStation 3.

Bwahahahahahahaha

JC and Satch why didn't you say anything about the survey?

Top Bottom