• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Another weekend another bottle

yzGsmgi.jpg

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It was a hair above average IMO. I enjoyed it but I'm not nearly as attached to the areas the film pays homage to as a lot of other people are. The script was mediocre, which was disappointing considering it's the same screenwriter behind the fantastic unproduced script Killing on Carnival Row. Honestly, everything but the action scenes was forgettable, and I fail to see how anyone could give a shit about the characters. I'm actually surprised that the action ended up being the film's strongest point, since IMO, Del Toro's films are typically strong in their script, design and cinematography, and lacking in cohesive and legible action. The acting was a tad bit too overstated, partially due to the horrendous dialog. I found the first 20 or so minutes to be the best part of the film, but unfortunately, the filmmakers weren't able to maintain that duration's quality for long.

I found it to be the very definition of a mindless action film, and while that's a perfectly legitimate field of cinema to embody, the comparisons to Michael Bay aren't exactly unwarranted. I left the theater somewhat entertained, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't thoroughly invested within the film's inspirations.
You told me Cloud Atlas was good.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Robot jox was my pinnacle for western mecha series As whack as it was. This was pretty damn good. But I have to see it in 3d

You sir have good taste but pacific rim is that new hotness.... all PR fights had me like "damn they cant win this". A alien movie hasnt had me like that since Independence Day.

Pacific Rim is a good movie for your inner child. Grown ass men were looking like 5th graders in the theater. It's a brainless popcorn flick, it's predictable, it's cheesy, it's cliché, it's goofy at times, but most importantly it's fun.

Kreed

If Pacific Rim had just been the fights/most of the movie had been giant battles, I would have agreed with Kanye about the movie being incredible but the acting/dialogue scenes were just bad and boring in comparison and brought the entire movie down for me (minus the scene with
the little girl running from the Kaiju, she acted circles around everybody just crying

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
If Pacific Rim had just been the fights/most of the movie had been giant battles, I would have agreed with Kanye about the movie being incredible but the acting/dialogue scenes were just bad and boring in comparison and brought the entire movie down for me (minus the scene with
the little girl running from the Kaiju, she acted circles around everybody just crying

Idris had a few scenes as well in my opinion.

All this PR talk has me excited. The one universal accolade I have been hearing about the film is "Its like being a kid again".....

The last time I was this excited about reliving that feeling was back when I was young and I saw ID4 in the theatres for the first time. To enjoy that on the big screen. Cant wait for Sunday.

It reminds me of when I saw Transformers. Im sitting there and the opening scene with Cybertron got this kid so excited that he started screaming and shaking and he turned and slapped the shit out of his mother. I mean hard. Me and my girl are dying laughing.

Kreed

Idris had a few scenes as well in my opinion.

I had no issues with Idris. He played the roll
of commander
well. It was the main character and supporting characters like those
two "anime" scientists
that were making Jaden Smiths' After Earth performance seem Oscar worthy in comparison.

How was Charley from always sunny? Was he still Charley?

Yea, I wish he had more range as a comedic actor since I really like Sunny a lot.

There was a part of the movie where I leaned over and said It's Always Sunny In Hong Kong to my gf.

yup still charlie. just about as dirty as charlie was too oddly enough. but he shone with ron pearlman though.

Its Always Sunny in Pacific Rim

Yeah hype building.

Satch

Banned
isnt that the movie where they had the white people wear face makeup to look like asian people because they didnt hire actual asians or is that something else

harSon

Banned
isnt that the movie where they had the white people wear face makeup to look like asian people because they didnt hire actual asians or is that something else

They also had a Korean girl playing a white and Mexican woman, and Halle Berry playing a white woman, and Hugo Weaving playing a stocky retirement home nurse. I do admit though, a lot of it looked ridiculous, and I'd rather them cast actors of the ethnicity in question despite their decision not to fitting within the overall theme of the movie.

The Wachowski's have a pretty good track record of diversity within their films, and Cloud Atlas was no exception. My problem with Hollywood is casting overrepresented groups in place of underrepresented ones. I'd have absolutely zero issue with "whitewashing" if minorities were adequately represented.

the race swapping in Cloud Atlas makes sense in context, haven't given it a chance yet, people are split on it drastically.

But Pacific Rim is much better than Book of Eli, a lot better.

harSon

Banned
You just sadiddy when it comes to movies.

Naw!

Cloud Atlas has a 66% Rotten Tomatoes score, and a 7.6/10 on IMDB. I don't think review scores are always indicative of a film's quality, but between critics and viewers, an apparent trend can be spotted. More people enjoy Cloud Atlas then not, and I'd say there's enough of a sample size to suggest that the film does not suck. Having said that, people's tastes do differ. And when it comes to movies, there's no wrong opinions. But when my own opinions go against the grain, I tend to say stuff like "IMO" and "I feel that this movie..." to describe it, and try to stay away from definitive statements that suggest an undeniable majority's stamp of approval. I'm aware that my opinion is an outlier or the odd man out, but alas, it's a position that I hold. I don't think other people are wrong, their tastes are simply different, and due to that fact, their positions lay on the other side of the fence. I love Speed Racer and I think it's a great movie, but that's something that I think, and I would never suggest that's it's a legitimately excellent film by definition because it's not.

Critics and movie goers like Pacific Rim, and it's legitimately a great film, I just don't feel as strongly towards it. And yeah, I enjoyed Book of Eli :D

oh cloud atlas talk again

fuck that movie

I think I mentally checked out of the film during the plot with the old dude being sent to a retirement home, or when I first heard Tom hanks say "da true true" or when that horrible Asian actress was playing a Mexican immigrant worker...

...fuck that movie

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I want Par's expert opinion. Parrallax rate it from 0 being Joe tears to 10 being Gokaiger's finale.

I'm gonna give it a solid 9. Its not some high brow masterpiece, but a movie where giant robots and giant monsters kick the ever loving shit out of each other. There's some deep stuff in there, and it plays mecha tropes to the nines. There are a lot inspired scenes, and quite a bit of comedy from Ron perlman and charlie day. There are some things that irked me
like crimson and cherno getting knocked out the box raw like.
but for an introduction into their world, it was fantastic. I'm gonna see that shit again.

I should have reworded that since she was aiight in the vengeance movie and the host

But good lord did she suck in cloud atlas, they all did tho

Actually Tom Hanks and that piano kid were aiight at times

Edit: fuuuck I'm waiting on a friend so I'm gonna watch pacific rim on Tuesday. I think in recent memory my favorite monster movie was attack the block followed by the host. If this is even half as enjoyable ill be really happy

DominoKid

I'm gonna give it a solid 9. Its not some high brow masterpiece, but a movie where giant robots and giant monsters kick the ever loving shit out of each other. There's some deep stuff in there, and it plays mecha tropes to the nines. There are a lot inspired scenes, and quite a bit of comedy from Ron perlman and charlie day. There are some things that irked me
like crimson and cherno getting knocked out the box raw like.
but for an introduction into their world, it was fantastic. I'm gonna see that shit again.

that spoilered bit was one of the best parts. that shit got so many gasps in my theater.

harSon

Banned
Just got a email titled kill list. What the fuck

Good movie.

There was a guy named Trench Coat Tim at our High School, and one time a teacher said "Aren't you an odd one?" to him in class, and he said "Your on my hit list" and walked out of class. We all just died laughing, including the teacher, but the school didn't think it was funny...

Top Bottom