• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Attack the Block is probably still the most "fun" film I've seen since 2011.

i wonder if this will change when i see pacific rim

edit: couldn't really get into spring breakers. the riff raff james franco was hilarious though. but i don't like the director

harSon

Banned
Didn't you say Book of Eli ws a great movie? And don't you praise Tyler Perry films on the regular? dog, I think it's the other way round :p

Yeah, I enjoyed Book of Eli, and I said I respect what Tyler Perry does for minority actors, that his films aren't meant for me and that Daddy's Little Girls was legitimately good IMO. I also said that I haven't seen that I disliked all of his films outside of Diary of a Mad Black Woman and Daddy's Little Girls, that his films are too formulaic and that I haven't watched a film of his since 2007.

Everyone has guilty pleasures. The Last Dragon is one of my favorite films of all time, but I also know that it's not what most would call a legitimately good film. I've always thought that there's a clear distinction between a film that you think is legitimately good, and a film that you personally enjoyed. I think Book of Eli falls within the latter category IMO. It's a film with many flaws that I still found enjoyment in.

And Armond White is also the best film critic out there :D

harSon

Banned
Watched Spring Breakers last night.... James Franco is still cool but that movie was utter shit.

I enjoyed it somewhat, but I can definitely see how it's divisive. Franco chews up scenery and the visual fidelity of the film was excellent, but those are the only things I think the film excels in. I thought Harmony Korine had the initial premise from which to create a great film, but he botched it. It was too stream of consciousness, the narrative was disjointed and the movie had filler, many of which were repetitive as fuck, that seemed to pad the movie by about a half hour. I liked the idea of casting actresses like Salena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens, but he didn't quite pull off their presence within the film. It was thoroughly average, maybe a hair under that, and while I found some enjoyment, I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Armond White is proof you can put together a lot of big words and smart ideas and still spout absolute nonsense about cinema.

That's him trolling though. His essays are damned good, and it's clear that the dude is among the most knowledgeable within his craft when you listen/read his stuff outside of the context of his obvious moments of trolling.

royalan

Hey, BCGaf

ibz1iwhlqRb5t7.gif

What program do you guys use to record your podcasts? We're trying to set one up over at PopGAF.

Any advice would be appreciated.

DominoKid

the #RacialDraft is popping on twitter. some good ones:

Lets Trade Wale to the Whites for Justin Timberlake #RacialDraft

"The Blacks have missed several picks by entering them late." #RacialDraft

Whites offer good credit scores in exchange for Pharrells secret to immortality. #racialdraft

Trill Nye ‏@MitchArana 5m
Decline! RT @MrTBails: We the Black Delegation offer up Blade in exchange for Batman #RacialDraft

the #RacialDraft is popping on twitter. some good ones:

Lets Trade Wale to the Whites for Justin Timberlake #RacialDraft

"The Blacks have missed several picks by entering them late." #RacialDraft

Whites offer good credit scores in exchange for Pharrells secret to immortality. #racialdraft

Trill Nye ‏@MitchArana 5m
Decline! RT @MrTBails: We the Black Delegation offer up Blade in exchange for Batman #RacialDraft

I like Wale tho :(

Man I really hate that I see Zimmerman walking it just feels to me like hey won't convict him

Onemic

It's an easy way out if they don't think he's guilty of 2nd Degree. Can't see them turning down both charges and voluntarily being put on blast.

It's Florida. Plus this trial has been heavily in Zimmermans favour from the very beginning, it would be legit shocking if he actually gets found guilty.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2440803&page=1

No idea how the fuck she's still on the air.

Your guess is as good as mine. This woman is a blight on journalism. But lately its all about sensationalising every damn thing that the hard truth has become an afterthought.

I saw an interview with Tom Brokaw and just some of the shit he said was spot on about journalism. Its nothing like it used to be. And I know with induction of 24 hour news stations and internet in the hands of the masses that can be hard but damn.

Kreed

It's Florida. Plus this trial has been heavily in Zimmermans favour from the very beginning, it would be legit shocking if he actually gets found guilty.

It's been in his favor for 2nd Degree but manslaughter changed things in the prosecutions favor, which is why one of the members of his Defense team threw a grown man tantrum in the court room when the Judge added it this week. It's a "I don't think he's guilty, but I don't want to be on the wrong end of any riots" free card for this Jury.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Why post about it, we all knew this would be the verdict from the beginning. We know what country we're living in. No surprises. I refuse to waste energy on reacting to this.

Sad day for the Martin family. Period.

Onemic

Don't know why you dudes are surprised. A dead young black kids word against someone that can talk. No way he was ever going to jail.

He'll get his though, dumb piece of shit.

Top Bottom