• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Me too, shit is revolting. Tired of folks telling me to get over shit. They know that shit is wrong and that is why they scream the loudest.

Acting like we're so angry, projecting hard. Just calling something kind of gross/stupid/tacky usually means I'm just disappointed not raging. Apparently being less of a shithead and learning other perspectives is really hard.

I don't know. Maybe it's because of where I was raised but if you wanted to dress up like someone you didn't need to paint your skin. In threads like the blackface one, people should give their race and location.

RedSwirl

Gaming side is making me realize just how "above" this console war bullshit I've become.

Maybe it's because I was loyal to Nintendo for so many years but have come to terms with the fact that "my horse" has dropped out of the race. I don't think I'd like to look back at some of the Wii U hardware posts I made a year ago. It could also be the whole PC thing I guess. Might be the fact that this past console generation has been the first one where I've owned every active platform.

Maybe if the Xbox One had an exclusive I actually gave a shit about, like if I was a huge Forza fan and felt chained to the Xbox One because of it, then the story might be different, but I don't know.

Even then, to me the software libraries between between PS4 and Xbox One just look so congruent. If I was still just sticking with consoles I feel like I could live with just one of them next gen. In my eyes, the two consoles are really starting to look like two competing operating systems or cable networks. They both offer most of the same content, so it's really about what features and services you like more. You don't see intense fanboy wars erupt between Windows vs Mac or DirecTV vs Dish Network. Then again Windows and Mac don't cost $400 each.

I love for that first hint of sleet/snow. Folks in this state lose their minds, be building bunkers and shit. We get 1 inch of snow and people think it is "The day after tomorrow".

People were losing it just coming through the gate last night. But what's fucked is there's a cat that started doing some ill shit cause he knew no one would be out in the cold.

People already on that "you so offended" tip that just fucks any calm sympathetic reasonable discussion over.

Is there a particular thread in question or just in general?
I'm not even buying a new system. I'm done with gaming until Metal Gear drops.

I may pickup a 4 depending on how the court case on the 19th goes. But we will know by week 3 of problems coming up.

Slayven

Here comes the cosigning dude, I am out. Not worth the headache, I hope Bish rains hellfire and damnation on the thread. I just think jeebus that there are people out there in the real world that knows whats up and I will keep fighting where it counts.

Jest Chillen with the gospel
As a black man, if I want to portray Bruce Lee, I just need the yellow jumpsuit from Game of Death. I COULD paint my skin to look lighter and use eye makeup to make my eyes appear more slanted to "go the extra mile" but that's completely unnecessary and quite likely to offend someone, so I shouldn't do it

FyreWulff

It is the same circle jerk every fucking day of the week.

I'm about done over there, after people tried to call me out then asked me to explain their point for them, lol

Can these consoles come out already so people stop spinning their wheels on being console cheerleaders?

ReiGun

Gaming side is making me realize just how "above" this console war bullshit I've become.
Console wars shit has never made any sense to me, mainly because I don't care much about the boxes themselves beyond their ability to play games I enjoy.

Granted, nowadays I have to look at them a little harder because of online services, but in general, I don't really give a fuck.

Slayven

Console wars shit has never made any sense to me, mainly because I don't much about the boxes themselves beyond their ability to play games I enjoy.

Granted, nowadays I have to look at them a little harder because of online services, but in general, I don't really give a fuck.

Dudes out there like they got stock in companies, and their ability to eat is depended on that shit.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
OK so about an hour ago I am coming home from a weekend grad class with one of my Greek classmates (I'm in school for shipping so lots of greeks) we're on the outdoor above ground platform at 4 pm talking about the class (in the Bronx). When a dude with a black bag full of fruit roll ups come up to my classmates and put his fist out for a pound. My classmate just looks at him quizzically though. So the candy guy (who mind you is 5 feet tall standing on his toes while my class mate and I are both 6 feet and taller) goes berserk and starts to shout out "why won't you give me a pound! What you think your better than me? So I intervene and say "oh man don't feel any disrespect he didn't understand you. he's a foreigner, this is just a misunderstanding. Its all love"......Keep in mind nobody in the world gives out random pounds so I already peep candy man for either being crazy or a hustler.

So candy man see's me (And I think finally realized I was with my classmate) and says "aight cool.... Cool.... Look I got these candy's for sale 1 for $2. Your friend should show love and buy some"....

I straight up say "nah we are good" and take a step to stand in between my classmate and the candy hustler to end the conversation. This ignites a 5 minute loud public display from the candy hustler on the platform about "Pigs not understanding he is a man" "and "so what if he says he is a foreigner he should respect me". I turn to my classmate and tell him to "ignore the candy man" and we both do basically that as the rant goes on ...eventually other people on the platform convince him its pointless to get mad and to relax (mind you no one buys his candies either)

He then goes to my class mate who is still looking at him quizzically and offers him the pound and tells him he is sorry and he admits he might be wrong because "he can do that because he is a man". He then apologizes to me, gives me the pound and to his apology I reply "no worries man its all love" and the train arrives and my classmate and I get on it and leave.....

I don't know how to process this event. Like I never get messed with in the hood like that, I couldn't even imagine somebody trying to punk me out to buy candy from them. I've never gave a hood pass before because I usually have better things to do than chill in the hood (especially in one in a Burrough that isn't mine) but I think I just did...... Shit is still just crazy to me.

hypernima

Banned
Here comes the cosigning dude, I am out. Not worth the headache, I hope Bish rains hellfire and damnation on the thread. I just think jeebus that there are people out there in the real world that knows whats up and I will keep fighting where it counts.

you fought a good fight.

harSon

Banned
It would only be funny if it happened to HarSon.

I'm not even keeping mine. My two Xbox Ones and two Playstation 4s are going straight to the scalp market. I've come to the conclusion that I don't even regularly play games anymore outside of Dota, so I sure as hell ain't going to drop 400-1000 (depending if I get an Xbox One/PS4 or both) to try and kick start a dying passion. I'd rather just sift through the countless games I skipped over this generation for pennies on the dollar. I basically haven't gamed on the regular since around the time Gears of War 2 came out, so I've got a shit ton of stuff to play if I want to.

And my 360 from 2006 is still going strong! Although it's probably only been used a dozen or two hours since 2010 Lol.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I cant fuck with those blackface threads anymore.

Fuck any race related thread on GAF, basically.

Same ignorant crew rolls in to every thread looking for ways to laugh at people for being "offended" and defend <insert racist/racially insensitive action here>.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I keep saying this, but GAF being GAF...well...it gets drowned out by talk of specs, and MSAA and tech tomfoolery.

The amount of scrutiny peeps on GAF give to the industry is way...WAY above what the average consumer will ever do.

Strip everything down to the bare facts, and the fundamental difference to a lot of customers is price point. Not 1080p. Not teraflops. Not RAM. PRICE.

And even at $100 more, MS has enough spin doctors to convince their target demographics that the Xbox One is THEIR console. Half that work was done in the previous gen with the 360.

Do you know how many playtest sessions we have with regular gamers who can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p? And you think they will give a shit? As long as their gun on CoD shoots when they press the trigger and it plays in HD.

Enthusiasts like those on GAF are a minority.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I keep saying this, but GAF being GAF...well...it gets drowned out by talk of specs, and MSAA and tech tomfoolery.

The amount of scrutiny peeps on GAF give to the industry is way...WAY above what the average consumer will ever do.

Strip everything down to the bare facts, and the fundamental difference to a lot of customers is price point. Not 1080p. Not teraflops. Not RAM. PRICE.

And even at $100 more, MS has enough spin doctors to convince their target demographics that the Xbox One is THEIR console. Half that work was done in the previous gen with the 360.

Do you know how many playtest sessions we have with regular gamers who can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p? And you think they will give a shit? As long as their gun on CoD shoots when they press the trigger and it plays in HD.

AC4 720p confirmed

FyreWulff

Personally, I don't think 1080p is much of a deal since the majority of the HDTV install base is 720p. I'd be more concerned about stability.

But most gamers on GAF assume everyone is rocking BenQ 4k trubrite monitors when the fact of the matter is most console owners buy the cheapest TV off the shelve at Wal Mart or Target and ride it out until it stops working.

I have the first one. I never did anything with a guitar, and I felt I got some progress with songs I knew before hand, because it was kind of easy to è,have the muscle memory of where you had to go because I knew the song so well.

The only thing is that its a huge time commitment if you want to learn some shit, more than I had available so I set it to the side. But I always look at my guitar and say I should pick it up again, its fun but laziness ;rules my free time.

I have literally no experience but the positive feedback has me interested

I can understand the point of "casuals don't know the difference" but what about the contention that enthusiasts inform the rest of the population? I mean I would think that in every group of friends there's one or two that have their hand on the pulse of the tech differences. Once information starts moving through word of mouth, couldn't that influence the casual crowd at least to an extent?

harSon

Banned

I agree about the significance of it all in terms of how it'll resonate with the typical consumer, but being so secretive about something like this is pretty shitty on Microsoft's part, regardless of whether it's a sound business decision or not.

Slayven

Personally, I don't think 1080p is much of a deal since the majority of the HDTV install base is 720p. I'd be more concerned about stability.

But most gamers on GAF assume everyone is rocking BenQ 4k trubrite monitors when the fact of the matter is most console owners buy the cheapest TV off the shelve at Wal Mart or Target and ride it out until it stops working.

I went to hhgregg fool.

Top Bottom