• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

V6Ukees.jpg

LOL, right guys?

All in good fun.
very brave of them to open a dialog on these issues.

very brave of them to open a dialog on these issues.

Hahaha.

Nah, people on gaf aren't defending that. I just saw it on twitter, and thought it was related. That's definitely black face versus trying to match a skin tone and being stupid. So they'll probably just distinguish it with, "SEE, THAT'S offensive... not this."

yeah, I dunno if that chick's costume is necessarily blackface in the strict sense, but it is tone-deaf and dumb. Like, do you have any black friends? Surely one of them would have pulled you aside before you left the house...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Hahaha.

Nah, people on gaf aren't defending that. I just saw it on twitter, and thought it was related. That's definitely black face versus trying to match a skin tone and being stupid. So they'll probably just distinguish it with, "SEE, THAT'S offensive... not this."
I don't know, it is a pretty specific costume, which would apparently give it a pass

Onemic

yeah, I dunno if that chick's costume is necessarily blackface in the strict sense, but it is tone-deaf and dumb. Like, do you have any black friends? Surely one of them would have pulled you aside before you left the house...

Technically speaking it's not. It's just ignorant as all hell.

Hahaha.

i don't think it would go down that way

but

there is a black captain america

Isiah Bradley. And yes I would rock that costume quick. But I think someone else said it best as much as I love Steve Rodgers, I wouldnt put on maybelline and make myself even lighter to look like him. But cats wont see that.

V6Ukees.jpg

LOL, right guys?

All in good fun.

You know what. Fuck them. Just fuck them. If I saw them in the street I would.....

Just fuck them. I am all a fan of satire and jokes but thats just downright racist with no fucking chaser. If one of us dressed up as JonBenet or Natalie Holloway people would lose their fucking minds. Thats like going to Jewish holloween party and dressing up like fucking Adolf. That shit just aint right. Motherfuckers need to know when to draw a goddamn line. Man fuckem

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Sounds like it turned out okay at least. People in those positions are crazy insecure, I don't know why but I guess because they've been in the street mentality too long. Hyper paranoid about being disrespected.

Dude sounded crazy. Or was running some high level game.

Yeah you guys are right dude wasn't right in the head... Thanks for confirming what I thought when it happened. When it went down I was so focused on just trying to keep it from escalating that I wasn't sure if my instincts were right

Thanks for confirming that.

If she wasn't jivin' then it isn't racist. Stop reading books and being aware of history and come up with a personal and isolated view on race relations for once DY.

RedSwirl

Looking back, I think there are two primary factors in consoles at launch or soon after launch: Having the right price, and having that one killer app. And I think a console needs to get that first killer app that everyone has to have within the first year.

Yeah the PS2 got hype off being the successor to the PS1, but I within the first year it got MGS2, Final Fantasy X, Gran Turismo III, Grand Theft Auto III, and played DVDs. 360 got Oblivion and Gears pretty soon into its life. The Wii came out the gate with Wii Sports. iOS had Angry Birds to start out with. I think the PS3's problem (as well as the PSP's and Vita's) is that it never really got THAT killer app. Sales-wise the closest thing for the PS3 was GT5. Monster Hunter pulled the PSP's ass out the fire in Japan, but Nintendo took that thunder away from the Vita.

The thing is, I don't think I see the PS4 or Xbox One killer app yet. For almost the first time (or at least the first time in a while) the main killer game on consoles is multiplatform (GTA started out PlayStation exclusive). Forza's just gonna bring in existing Forza fans, as is KillZone. I don't really see Knack being THAT game either. It could be Titanfall I guess. I think something new is gonna show up within the next 12 months that'll tip the scales.

I just read the last page of the blackface thread. I want Kanye to dress up as Steve Jobs for Halloween. White paint and everything. I bet motherfuckers would go nuts.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I just read the last page of the blackface thread. I want Kanye to dress up as Steve Jobs for Halloween. White paint and everything. I bet motherfuckers would go nuts.

It'd still fly over heads.

It has to somehow be worse than Chief Keef as Captain Phillips

Slayven

just give it up Slayven

nobody in that thread is actually trying to understand

It is amazing how they reach new levels of doubling down. But it does warm my heart to see a few people that get it. As long as I see one good post from a new face, then good has been done.

BlackJace

I got to stay away shit is making my cold worse.
Is this how Goodjobbob feels in a Marvel movie thread?

I actually didn't take that much offense to it, but I still felt like she needed to acknowledge that it could make people uncomfortable, which she ended up doing. Fine. Okay.

But no, we have to have people out the cut vehemently defending her and calling everyone who could be slightly offended an over sensitive loony.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
"I'm Transexual and I will speak for the entire LGBT community and say I don't find it offensive at all!"
If discussions around LBGT issues were moderated the same as race, sex, religion, and certain political issues then you'd see an entirely different board. You can't even come close to taking the same tone when speaking on certain topics.

Perfect example - people going in on intentional/unintentional sexism or racism and its basically lopsided debate. Anything flies until posts are basically signed with a KKK signature. The window for a real discussion starts out closed half the time. Transgender topic? No. Nothing remotely similar. There'd be a culling. People who've been members for years sit and meditate deeply before posting. And god help you if you haven't done your homework ahead of time.

Slayven

I actually didn't take that much offense to it, but I still felt like she needed to acknowledge that it could make people uncomfortable, which she ended up doing. Fine. Okay.

But no, we have to have people out the cut vehemently defending her and calling everyone who could be slightly offended an over sensitive loony.
Sounds like GOP members, I want to fight for the right to offend people and them not being able to say shit about it.

If discussions around LBGT issues were moderated the same as race, sex, religion, and certain political issues then you'd see an entirely different board. You can't even come close to taking the same tone when speaking on certain topics.

Perfect example - people going in on intentional/unintentional sexism or racism and its basically lopsided debate. Anything flies until posts are basically signed with a KKK signature. The window for a real discussion starts out closed half the time. Transgender topic? No. Nothing remotely similar. There'd be a culling. People who've been members for years sit and meditate deeply before posting. And god help you if you haven't done your homework ahead of time.

Dude they would be graveyards, nuked from orbit. Then the earth salted.

Kreed

Things were kind of going this way for other issues as well until the "cunt" thing happened and all the bubble babies got their "PC Gaf" war cry for use at every non LBGT thread.

Decided to go to an MC Lyte concert on my school campus last night instead of our awful Trinidad James concert. I'm glad I did. She's such an inspiring artist and was interesting to listen to. There wasn't that many people in there like for other stuff we had and I seemed like I was the only person really diggin on her, but I still had fun and that's what really mattered.

Top Bottom