• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

ReiGun

Its nothing surprising.

I think a lot of people are really just emotional over the whole thing though.

It sucks, but let's be real - 'we' 'won' when the whole thing went to trial in the first place.
That's what a friend of mine was saying. He wasn't even charged originally, right? There's at least some solace in the fact it went to trial at all.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
That's what a friend of mine was saying. He wasn't even charged originally, right? There's at least done solace in the fact it went to trial at all.

Charged? He didn't even get properly questioned.

They didn't even ID the boy. He was sitting in a morgue with John Doe on his foot when his parents called the police a day later.

prosecution fucked up too. i think if he was charged with voluntary manslaughter as the primary offense he would have seen jail time.

oh well, hopefully they hit him with a civil suit

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
:(

I told a friend of mine that Zimmerman was going to get off. He laughed and said nah bro, there's no way that dude ain't getting manslaughter.

I haven't heard from him all weekend. I KNOW he's heated. He won't want to talk for a while. Both he and I have sons. His is a little older than mine.

I don't know what else to say about this. It just kind of hurts.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I did my best in the Zimmerman thread... Fuck that guy pseudo Sam for getting away with cursing a mod,... I've see people banned for telling bad jokes.

Trey

I like to believe that that was the post that got him banned. Like, quoting Lupe's tinfoil-hat-ass was the final straw for the mods :lol

lupes clown ass is being championed as some sort of point? fantastic.

Ya'll talking about his tweets on this whole thing? Cuz he's right on a fundamental point - that being the complacency of our culture when it comes to the destruction occurring without pause in our communities.

DY_nasty

Ya'll talking about his tweets on this whole thing? Cuz he's right on a fundamental point - that being the complacency of our culture when it comes to the destruction occurring without pause in our communities.

Lupe was not 100% wrong at all. He was being a jackass, and he was being bitter because he fucked up himself, but he there was some truth in it.

But every crazy person speaks with a bit of truth. That's why they're crazy and not simply liars.

cdyhybrid

Nah, some dude made the argument that people being pissed that Zimmerman walked was more disgusting than Trayvon being dead (among a variety of other ridiculous things, such as insinuating that Trayvon was the one that escalated the situation because we couldn't prove he didn't) and then tried to use Lupe's tweets as his drop-the-mic moment when they didn't really have anything to do with his argument.

DY_nasty

I'd honestly rather sit next to a confederate flag flying, nascar watching, openly racist, homophobic, 'dey took ar jerbs!' asshole than talk with the liberal who doesn't see color - and is helping.

After all the boards I've went to, all the debates I've led, rallies I helped plan... those are by far the most patronizing, selfish, ignorant, and hollow assholes I've ever had to deal with in that arena.

I'd honestly rather sit next to a confederate flag flying, nascar watching, openly racist, homophobic, 'dey took ar jerbs!' asshole than talk with the liberal who doesn't see color - and is helping.

After all the boards I've went to, all the debates I've led, rallies I helped plan... those are by far the most patronizing, selfish, ignorant, and hollow assholes I've ever had to deal with in that arena.

But I see everyone as equal.

DominoKid

yeah that annoys the hell out of me. also people that believe that "beyond race" just makes me laugh. how do you get past something that you're afraid to face head on?

DY_nasty

yeah that annoys the hell out of me. also people that believe that "beyond race" just makes me laugh. how do you get past something that you're afraid to face head on?

You can see whatever you want when you close your eyes

DY_nasty

Thats Deep bro

iRNEUdmAUvLm8.png

J10

Banned
In cases like this I always think about the idea that colored folks have to better than white folks at all times just to be considered equal. Right at this very moment we are being reminded (by white and colored people alike) not to lash out, not to riot, not to misbehave in any way, while Florida sends out the message that it's cool to stalk and kill black youth without justification. And it almost makes me not wanna give a fuck when some presumably innocent white person gets fucked up by a negro tomorrow. I know part of me will feel bad when it happens, but another, maybe a larger part of me is also just gonna be like, "You see what happens?" And if that white person survives, part of me will just be like

3u6nbj.jpg

because I'm angry and that's an angry thought that I'm having right now.

You know you feel like a real POS when you're all "glad I don't live there", "glad I'm white" "glad my SO looks less dark in case we have kids."

Then you just want to put your own head in an oven for thinking such awful things.

*sighs*

Today's my anniversary with my girl who I'm grateful for having in my life. We're going to the beach, away from everything 'cause fuck everything at the moment.

*sighs*

Today's my anniversary with my girl who I'm grateful for having in my life. We're going to the beach, away from everything 'cause fuck everything at the moment.

at times like this is it bad i say to myself thank god i didnt grow up in America being black ? (im not saying being a UK born, now Canadian resident theres no racism here at all ofcourse)

Just sometimes shits so fucking backwards in good ol' USA.

I'm...I'm just fucking depressed. Both me and my husband signed that petition, Devo, thanks.

I'm just depressed and wanting to hug my 13 year old nephew who is smart and handsome and dark and...sigh.

DY_nasty

My little brother would get shot in a heartbeat lol

Dude is lightskinned though. He's got that going for him at least... but if someone ever rolled up on him without a uniform with that kind of tone? He's getting hands. His fight/flight is 100/0. I love him because he's always been that kid to stick up for others in his class and stuff like that.

My little brother would get shot in a heartbeat :(

at times like this is it bad i say to myself thank god i didnt grow up in America being black ? (im not saying being a UK born, now Canadian resident theres no racism here at all ofcourse)

Just sometimes shits so fucking backwards in good ol' USA.
I feel this could have happened anywhere, to be honest. And that's what makes this whole thing uneasy for me.

Maybe that's just the paranoia of being token black kid in white suburbs all my life.

Measley

You know you feel like a real POS when you're all "glad I don't live there", "glad I'm white" "glad my SO looks less dark in case we have kids."

Then you just want to put your own head in an oven for thinking such awful things.

Yep. I'm in that boat. Light skinned black man with a white wife and damn near white kids, and I felt disgusted when that thought went through my head.. Just makes you realize how fucked up this country really is. If you don't have black family members, SOs, or are black yourself, you just don't understand.

Hope the people in Florida don't riot. I hope they use that pain and energy to change the laws in Florida, and get some of their people in positions of power. That would be true justice for TM.

Oh, and also suing the shit out of Zimmerman so that he can live the rest of his life in poverty.

I had to shut down the house because of some shit that went down in a neighboring apartment complex a few minutes after the verdict of the case came in. It looked like some folks got heated and caused a public disturbance, so the cops got called in. There was a lot of chest-thumping, but no one got violent from what I can tell. Still, I laid low because my house faces the spot where this went down, and I didn't want to be dragged into it when I'm the only person in the house at night.

To be honest, I was actually expecting that verdict thread to be worse, based on other threads like that one. For a public case where a lot of posters made a lot of big predictions as to what would and wouldn't happen, the fact that a few people are even willing to float the idea that Trayvon didn't deserve being killed - even if they think that the verdict was sound - instead of posthumously dog-piling on him like others is way better than what I thought would go down.

The fuck? Satch got banned for that?

It's the personal insults that did her in. If she merely implied that people who cared more about beating their chests over the verdict instead of recognizing that a young adult was killed without cause and his killer wasn't punished for it were callous, or biased, or ignorant, she'd been safe.

But that would have been bullshit.

Shabutaro

Gay rights is the only one Gaf is good at.

Feminism, Black folk?

pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

Ive noticed that a lot about America in general right now. People want to attach themselves to a cause that they can dissociate themselves from. Its not a 20 something males fault that gay people cant get married, its the crazy old people. But when issues of privilege and race and gender discrepancies, all modern and applicable to life today, there's just animosity. People don't even try.
Still makes me sad that gay marriage was legalized the same week the voting rights act fell.

Averon

Another aspect of this whole affair that's disheartening was the expectation that blacks would riot like animals if GZ was found not guilty. The networks covered it like it was some anticipated event!! Thank god it didn't happen and the networks and bigots were left disappointed.

If that doesn't show you the low opinion American society have of blacks I don't know what will.

Dabanton

Another aspect of this whole affair that disheartening was the expectation that blacks would riot like animals if GZ was found not guilty. The networks covered it like it was some anticipated event!! Thank god it didn't happened and the networks and bigots left disappointed.

If that doesn't show you the low opinion American society have of blacks I don't know what will.

Pretty much. So glad that people saw through that obvious trap.

Smashing up shops would distract all eyes from what is a sad event. But while this anger is here maybe people should be thinking of more positive ways to channel it.

For those who missed the infamous "cant relate to CJ San andreas thread", you got your wish, the zimmerman defense force on gaf is 10x worse.

also rage inducing:

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/pos...ial-america-finds-george-zimmerman-not-guilty

I still don't get how people can just happily be blurting out shit like this on their Twitters. T

DY_nasty

Another aspect of this whole affair that disheartening was the expectation that blacks would riot like animals if GZ was found not guilty. The networks covered it like it was some anticipated event!! Thank god it didn't happened and the networks and bigots left disappointed.

That upcoming race war.

Obviously this is all a part of Emperor Obama's plan.

Slayven

so fucking true. I wish racist Gaf would just make a community thread.

J10

Banned
Top Bottom