• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Outside of the typical ignorant, arrogant, patronizing tone I expect in every race conversation with a jackass who thinks he/she is beyond the topic as a whole...

A lot of what I hear from some people in the black community frustrates the shit out of me.

I'm just constantly staggered by the genuine shock of some people. Its just such a clear display of shallow involvement and hollow enthusiasm for what should be something that goes through their mind every day. Posts like that are not that wrong. Not at all. Call it false equivalency - it is. But its only that way because there is such an embarrassing emphasis on flashing lights that it makes me once again sit back and appreciate the effectiveness of the Jim Crow shit. All this focus on an issue that was simply not that much of a racially motivated crime to begin with. All that energy - and people can't even realize that if they directed even half of the short term effort they put towards fixing our own shit that it'd actually get something done.

Wait there's protesting in LA? So that's what my friend meant when he said "I bet right now would be a good time to try and holla at a black chick in Hollywood."

Outside of the typical ignorant, arrogant, patronizing tone I expect in every race conversation with a jackass who thinks he/she is beyond the topic as a whole...

A lot of what I hear from some people in the black community frustrates the shit out of me.

I'm just constantly staggered by the genuine shock of some people. Its just such a clear display of shallow involvement and hollow enthusiasm for what should be something that goes through their mind every day. Posts like that are not that wrong. Not at all. Call it false equivalency - it is. But its only that way because there is such an embarrassing emphasis on flashing lights that it makes me once again sit back and appreciate the effectiveness of the Jim Crow shit. All this focus on an issue that was simply not that much of a racially motivated crime to begin with. All that energy - and people can't even realize that if they directed even half of the short term effort they put towards fixing our own shit that it'd actually get something done.

Laws should change. Exposure to a flawed justice system should be the motivation. Instead people are mad now, it will calm down and people will forget. Then someone will be killed again, the anger will come right back but no solutions.

Onemic

Fucking this.

Like I said before, we just need to do better. I'm probably being hopelessly optimistic in thinking that we will use this situation as a catalyst to just say fuck it and start looking towards ourselves and bettering ourselves.

DY_nasty

Laws should change. Exposure to a flawed justice system should be the motivation. Instead people are mad now, it will calm down and people will forget. Then someone will be killed again, the anger will come right back but no solutions.

Its not even solutions that people want. Its the want to not be inconvenienced with something that rattles them more than the world has made them accustomed to. This isn't "movement" level anger - its "fuck, i got a speeding ticket for going 12 over a few months ago. now my insurance is high and i'm STILL mad" anger.

Its damn near comical at some people's perception of all of this. People in Florida should be aware when kids get tried as adults for school fights and cops only show up in certain neighborhoods for drug busts and never 911 calls. There's plenty to be mad about. The people there are just conditioned to accept the world that they live in. THAT is the issue. Its not another kid being killed. Its not racism triggering a series of events that leaves a kid dead and a justice system in a perfect position to let someone walk away with blood on his hands. Its not some realization that the struggle is still going on.

No. The struggle is fucking over because the majority have laid down and become complacent and willing to watch the minority struggle for all of their sakes. They spent years learning to watch from the sidelines as someone else did the dirty, hard work and lost the hours. They felt that they were helping when they tell their kids what so-and-so did for them and their church/community/school whatever. They don't do shit but talk. Their kids don't do shit but talk. Their kids don't do shit but talk. But now there's a lot less to talk about because that minority is smaller and more divided than ever.

I already did my part and then some. So when I see motherfuckers talking about how much they want to change something or how much something needs to change I point them to a homeless shelter or community clinic. Anybody can sign a fucking petition or forward an email or post a blog or Year2000Boycott. Its a privilege that many don't acknowledge that they have by being able to do so though. You want to help? Teach somebody. On your own time. For free. And it'll help, but after you see enough kids fail because they have to go back to their fucked up homes no matter what you do, then you'll get a clear image of where the issue is and how vile its become. And you'll realize where the help is really needed.

The law doesn't get change by us - because as of right now, 'Us' is fucked. 'Us' has been getting fucked so hard that its been programmed to fuck itself. 'Us' can't even have leaders because the people who do spend years and energy climbing over all the hurdles they grow to resent 'Us' and just stop giving a fuck, choosing to actually be happy with their own lives instead.

So we don't even need leaders right now. We need people to assess the problem for what it actually is and stop falling for the misdirection like we just learned to read again.

Its not even solutions that people want. Its the want to not be inconvenienced with something that rattles them more than the world has made them accustomed to. This isn't "movement" level anger - its "fuck, i got a speeding ticket for going 12 over a few months ago. now my insurance is high and i'm STILL mad" anger.

Its damn near comical at some people's perception of all of this. People in Florida should be aware when kids get tried as adults for school fights and cops only show up in certain neighborhoods for drug busts and never 911 calls. There's plenty to be mad about. The people there are just conditioned to accept the world that they live in. THAT is the issue. Its not another kid being killed. Its not racism triggering a series of events that leaves a kid dead and a justice system in a perfect position to let someone walk away with blood on his hands. Its not some realization that the struggle is still going on.

No. The struggle is fucking over because the majority have laid down and become complacent and willing to watch the minority struggle for all of their sakes. They spent years learning to watch from the sidelines as someone else did the dirty, hard work and lost the hours. They felt that they were helping when they tell their kids what so-and-so did for them and their church/community/school whatever. They don't do shit but talk. Their kids don't do shit but talk. Their kids don't do shit but talk. But now there's a lot less to talk about because that minority is smaller and more divided than ever.

I already did my part and then some. So when I see motherfuckers talking about how much they want to change something or how much something needs to change I point them to a homeless shelter or community clinic. Anybody can sign a fucking petition or forward an email or post a blog or Year2000Boycott. Its a privilege that many don't acknowledge that they have by being able to do so though. You want to help? Teach somebody. On your own time. For free. And it'll help, but after you see enough kids fail because they have to go back to their fucked up homes no matter what you do, then you'll get a clear image of where the issue is and how vile its become. And you'll realize where the help is really needed.

The law doesn't get change by us - because as of right now, 'Us' is fucked. 'Us' has been getting fucked so hard that its been programmed to fuck itself. 'Us' can't even have leaders because the people who do spend years and energy climbing over all the hurdles they grow to resent 'Us' and just stop giving a fuck, choosing to actually be happy with their own lives instead.

So we don't even need leaders right now. We need people to assess the problem for what it actually is and stop falling for the misdirection like we just learned to read again.

I hear you, and not to minimize anything but it's a big problem with "movements" in general. Everyone is a mouth piece when they're affected but barely anyone is actually an acting piece. Are people volunteering or working towards the future they want? The short answer is no.

DY_nasty

I hear you, and not to minimize anything but it's a big problem with "movements" in general.

No. Its a problem with these shallow, bitchmade American movements.

I've met people who lay down and die for theirs in a heartbeat. Gladly. We are nothing like them. We embarrass them.

This is America. We ain't about that life anymore. We only get pissed off enough to change our internal shit when it strongly reminds us of what someone who blew up shit on our streets did back in their own home country. You say that was false equivalency? Our nation was founded it.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
No. Its a problem with these shallow, bitchmade American movements.

I've met people who lay down and die for theirs in a heartbeat. Gladly. We are nothing like them. We embarrass them.

This is America. We ain't about that life anymore. We only get pissed off enough to change our internal shit when it strongly reminds us of what someone who blew up shit on our streets did back in their own home country. You say that was false equivalency? Our nation was founded it.

i actually wrote one my senior thesis papers in college (2007) on their being no more organized movements. If you ever get a chance watch the black power mixtape. Its a decent documentary that goes into some of the reasons why the last popular movement died (due to faulty leadership and CIA tampering) and the steps that were taking to make sure another one wouldn't even rise to attempt to correct those mistakes.

So here is my approach/belief on this topic, I've thought about these topics a lot over my life and my POV on them isn't just personal (due to my race and class) but academic as well (I studied basically race and society in college). America isn't about movements like it use to be. The power is too centrally controlled and the populace is far to docile due to food ( #2 highest overweight populating on earth) and circus (smartphones, flatscreen TV's, etc, etc) and in some some cases plain ignorance.

If anyone wanted to create real long term change in America. The way it is set up now they would have to look to entrepreneurship (business that hire the same people that cater to them and live in poor minority communities) lobbying (to create political change, by having politicians owe communities favors for being elected) and boycotts (to create corporate change) as the 3 most direct ways to create lasting change in America.

See Money hasn't been this centrally controlled since the 1920's, so to create change threatening that stockpile of money must be the target in all forms of serious societal protest. Marching as a tool for change is mostly pointless (and more a cry for help) without Boycotts (ask glen beck) and for some reason people have forgotten that. But the creator of the modern community organizing Saul Alinsky was adamant about that fact. While marching was for show Boycotts is what really hurt them.

Anyhow look any combination of those 3 things would drastically change the power dynamic in America to be more even than it is now. Unfortunately as I said earlier their is no leadership in place to call for those 3 things and no matter how well organized a group, leadership is needed to direct its movements.

Here's an example of something normal people can do to affect change at the small number of people who directly were involved in this fiasco of a trial. You know how that juror got a book deal. make sure that company that publishes her book knows people who are mad at the travon case will boycott all books under that publishing house for however long is needed to make them lose money for dealing with her. Same for Zimmerman, any company that supports him gets boycotted. Its bad enough he got off in no way or form should he make money from this crime. At the same time donations to lobbyist groups against guns, syg laws, should get more donations.

Spinluck

Reminds me of this.

"You kids today are nothing but punks. Sissified. So quick to pick up a gun. Scared to take an ass whupping."

That message is so real tho.

I also just started Luther. My very short impressions from the thread, I'm only on EP. 2 but I'm loving it.

Just watched Epidsode one, I'm hooked. LOVE ME SOME ELBA!!

I'm probably gonna fuck up my sleeping schedule again.

This and Dexter will do fine in holding me till Breaking Bad next month. Thank you GAF!

Alex Morgan is fucking hot. The actress was the chick in The Lone Ranger, and I thought she was like so-so in that, didn't really catch my attention. But here, gawddamn. I'm in love. It's usually the crazy women that get me.

rugioh

Banned
Kind of nerdy but I'm finally an official member after 7 months! I lurk significantly more than I post so it was kind of tough to get it. I'm gonna celebrate by picking up SMTIV and Five Guys after work.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I see Kotaku still write rubbish on a regular basis. Good thing Jason Schreier doesn't frequent this thread, or we'd soon be drowning in links of their "outstanding investigative journalism"

Gimme a damn break!

I tried to stay away from the Zimmerman stuff but fucking Christ.

The juror comments are a whole new kind of stupid that I wasn't prepared for. I could handle a 'we had no choice given circumstance. Perhaps the law is flawed but under the law I could not in good conscious bend it with what I feel is morally correct. I hope this shines scrutiny on the laws themselves."

but the fucking 'George perhaps did too much, he's learned his lesson. He's mostly a swell fella'

It's crazy how terrible the jurors were.

Top Bottom