• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

well gahdamn.....

Maybe it's the era I grew up in, but I was pretty much told this as kid....by my father and he was a cop. Hell dude joined the force in the first place because he witnessed his older brother get assaulted by the cops in the segregated south and wanted to make a difference. By the time I was 15 he told me his name and status on the force was not enough to overshadow the color of my skin.....coldblooded but true. Before I hit 21 I had fit the description and or was followed by security in various public places so many times it simply became the norm.

“I mean, what can I say? You have no legal system to turn to, the police are out to get you, and everyone is immediately suspicious of you,” said Denver real-estate agent Kelly Martin, adding that she has been racking her brain trying to think of helpful advice for the teenagers, but that all she could come up with was, “Try to stay alive if you can.” “If you’re a black teen, you’re basically living in the Wild West right now. Not exactly words of encouragement, but there you have it.”

i should put this on a wall or something

“I mean, what can I say? You have no legal system to turn to, the police are out to get you, and everyone is immediately suspicious of you,” said Denver real-estate agent Kelly Martin, adding that she has been racking her brain trying to think of helpful advice for the teenagers, but that all she could come up with was, “Try to stay alive if you can.” “If you’re a black teen, you’re basically living in the Wild West right now. Not exactly words of encouragement, but there you have it.”

i should put this on a wall or something

I dunno about the "right now." Seems there has always been a burden black people carry. Trayvon just brought that shit into the mainstream so non-blacks or people without black friends are finally noticing.

I got a 'the police will never give you the benefit of the doubt' speech really early, before I could really understand.

Reflecting back it was mostly my paranoid dad who had a sour history with police who grew up in a much rougher place than he was raising his son passing it down to his nerdy mostly law abiding son. He was prepping me just in case I suppose.

Being a law abiding person doesn't count for shit if you're not one of the model minorities.

True, what kept me in line most was having no time to fuck around. When my friends were drinking and using other stuff I was being forced to work.

Mon-Fri I was going to school at 5am getting out at 230pm going into work at 4pm and getting out at 10 pm. and then doing 6 to 7 hour shifts on sat and sunday. My entire highschool experience was horrible because of it.

I could have easily gotten dealt a bad hand one night walking home from work at night.

Trayvoning is apparently a thing.

sigh - Buzzfeed link

Where dumbass-edness, apathy and stale memes collide.

:(

i thought The Onion was supposed to be funny...

Yeah :/
On the plus side, thanks to another article I found out that Shellie Zimmerman never managed to buck those perjury charges. The system works!

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
so I am watching this flashpoint DC animated film.... this shit is amazing.... and Its OD Rated R. I would not show this one to any kid younger than 13

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Only thing awesome about Flashpoint is Flashpoint Batman.

I thought that too based on the few issues I read of the comic event, but this movie is amazing, They cut out all the filler and just go from one fucked up scene to another.... Also considering i didn't read the whole comic series some of these moments are really WTF worthy.

Slayven

I thought that too based on the few issues I read of the comic event, but this movie is amazing, They cut out all the filler and just go from one fucked up scene to another.... Also considering i didn't read the whole comic series some of these moments are really WTF worthy.

They got the Shazam kids?

Slayven

Why must she always be in struggle shit.

msHq9s8.jpg

Wait...I thought Paradox Flashpoint didn't come out til the end of the month

also Slayven why are you never in the comic threads anymore you uppity nigga

Onemic

Maybe I'm wrong, but when has 4chans use of calling people gay, faggots, niggers, etc. been exempt from any kind of scrutiny because they don't actually mean it like what most people perceive it to be?

Slayven

Maybe I'm wrong, but when has 4chans use of calling people gay, faggots, niggers, etc. been exempt from any kind of scrutiny because they don't actually mean it like what most people perceive it to be?

There is contempt, but it is not worth bothering with a bunch of kids trying to be E-hard.

What do you mean by "they don't actually mean it"?

He's talking about how people excuse racism, sexism, homophobia with just "they only say it because they can get away with it, doesn't mean they're racist/sexist/homophobic." When really no one should be saying that shit just to get others riled or because they can.

He's talking about how people excuse racism, sexism, homophobia with just "they only say it because they can get away with it, doesn't mean they're racist/sexist/homophobic." When really no one should be saying that shit just to get others riled or because they can.

i refuse to believe they say it solely because of trolling.

I mean, Reddit does some of the same thing, right? I remember my friend being surprised because I told him GAF bans for that same shit.

Top Bottom