• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Onemic

Its something that i might consider. Nigerian extended families are so damn nosey about everything, the less people know when i'm getting married, the better.

Most of my exes found this weird. I'm not close to my family besides the ones listed earlier. In fact, i actively avoid talking to them. gossip and judgemental attitudes galore. And of course, they all expect me to marry a Nigerian girl.

My problem. My parents don't care, but my extended family keeps reminding me that I must marry a Nigerian girl. Funny thing, chances of me even marrying a black girl in the country going simply by numbers is pretty damn low. I'm more likely to marry a white or an Asian girl simply because that's what my area is pretty much made up of.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
My problem. My parents don't care, but my extended family keeps reminding me that I must marry a Nigerian girl. Funny thing, chances of me even marrying a black girl in the country going simply by numbers is pretty damn low. I'm more likely to marry a white or an Asian girl simply because that's what my area is pretty much made up of.

I hear ya, same with me. Will be even more so when i move to Canada. My dad couldn't care less really, thankfully. As long as i'm happy and don't end up with a crazy chick.

Imm0rt4l

Its something that i might consider. Nigerian extended families are so damn nosey about everything, the less people know when i'm getting married, the better.

Most of my exes found this weird. I'm not close to my family besides the ones listed earlier. In fact, i actively avoid talking to them. gossip and judgemental attitudes galore. And of course, they all expect me to marry a Nigerian girl.
I'm glad my family doesn't care who I date or marry.

Onemic

My french is very basic. Ubi are putting on classes for me when i get there. The area is mostly bilingual, as is the studio.

From the time I've spent in Montreal, No one had any problems speaking to you in English. It's once you leave the city that the English haters come...

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

i0LiGd9tfl08X.gif

hypernima

Banned
I was waiting for someone to say something, lol

I said something, then I came here cause I knew ya'll saw it too and behold, I was right.

hmm, onem1c are you yoruba?

mosi wa da, and my parents don't give too shits about it, everyone in my internal family never cared, hell they even have bets on what race i was gonna marry (for some reason everyone bet asian because I had a small anime phase when I was younger. but my mother bet on a latina)

My external family though wasn't having, to the extent which i told them to bugger off with respect. I remember now years later at my mother's funeral, the topic came up and my aunts couldn't really say anything.

All of their sons ended marrying non Nigerian not YORUBA (you know about the tribal beefs) women, who in turn changed their opinions on it. As long as the woman understands and respects our culture she shall be welcome, after all these years they accepted my mother's opinion. And it made me glad, not that I hate Yoruba women but I honestly don't see any sane Yoruba girl accepting me for who I am.

Onemic

I said something, then I came here cause I knew ya'll saw it too and behold, I was right.

hmm, onem1c are you yoruba?

mosi wa da, and my parents don't give too shits about it, everyone in my internal family never cared, hell they even have bets on what race i was gonna marry (for some reason everyone bet asian because I had a small anime phase when I was younger. but my mother bet on a latina)

My external family though wasn't having, to the extent which i told them to bugger off with respect. I remember now years later at my mother's funeral, the topic came up and my aunts couldn't really say anything.

All of their sons ended marrying non Nigerian not YORUBA (you know about the tribal beefs) women, who in turn changed their opinions on it. As long as the woman understands and respects our culture she shall be welcome, after all these years they accepted my mother's opinion. And it made me glad, not that I hate Yoruba women but I honestly don't see any sane Yoruba girl accepting me for who I am.

Nope Igbo.

My extended family are already shooting low(for their standards) as they don't care the tribe,(obviously they'd prefer Igbo) they just want me marrying a Nigerian and at the very least a black woman. I'm not really that close with my extended family anyway, as I only seem them once every couple of years or so, so whenever the topic comes up I just laugh it off because at the end of the day I'm gonna marry who I want to marry and they aint gonna do shit to change it.

I think the absolute worst outcome for them is if I end up marrying a Chinese/Korean/Japanese girl. I don't know why,(Actually, I probably have an idea) but certain parts of my extended family are really racist towards them. I actually only realized it, when I visited my aunt in Atlanta 3 years back and she said that I better never marry a Chinese girl or miss. Ching Chong Ching. I honestly didn't even know what to say when that shit came out of her mouth, I just went to the other room.

hypernima

Banned
Nope Igbo.

My extended family are already shooting low(for their standards) as they don't care the tribe,(obviously they'd prefer Igbo) they just want me marrying a Nigerian and at the very least a black woman. I'm not really that close with my extended family anyway, as I only seem them once every couple of years or so, so whenever the topic comes up I just laugh it off because at the end of the day I'm gonna marry who I want to marry and they aint gonna do shit to change it.

I think the absolute worst outcome for them is if I end up marrying a Chinese/Korean/Japanese girl. I don't know why,(Actually, I probably have an idea) but certain parts of my extended family are really racist towards them. I actually only realized it, when I visited my aunt in Atlanta 3 years back and she said that I better never marry a Chinese girl or miss. Ching Chong Ching. I honestly didn't even know what to say when that shit came out of her mouth, I just went to the other room.

Shit man, it's sad but I feel like if I married an Igbo girl I'd get more flak than marrying outside of race. That part of our culture needs to stop too.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Nope Igbo.

That sounds very much like my stepmum's family (they are Yoruba, and deeply so).

Before i moved to the UK, i got daily lectures about how i shouldn't date white girls because they weren't religious, or possibly pagans/ witches. And that they would lead me into drugs and all manner of vices.

I remember dating a girl from Kent for 2 years. During that time, she only got to meet my dad. My stepmum refused to meet her, or acknowledge she existed. And she never let her into the house we had in London. It actually caused issues at the time cos back home, most of her village were talking about how i had "gone off the rails" for dating an English girl (despite being on course for a 1st Class degree at university)

Oh you work for Ubisoft? So how about that Rayman 4? >_>

I work on Assassin's Creed, so your guess is as good as mine, lol

Gorillaz

Esco idk you were at ubisoft
Nope Igbo.

I've had surreal shit like that happen to me as well when it comes to dating other chicks. Half the time I don't mention what chick I'm dating or hanging out with unless it gets serious

Nakazato

That sounds very much like my stepmum's family (they are Yoruba, and deeply so).

Before i moved to the UK, i got daily lectures about how i shouldn't date white girls because they weren't religious, or possibly pagans/ witches. And that they would lead me into drugs and all manner of vices.

I remember dating a girl from Kent for 2 years. During that time, she only got to meet my dad. My stepmum refused to meet her, or acknowledge she existed. And she never let her into the house we had in London. It actually caused issues at the time cos back home, most of her village were talking about how i had "gone off the rails" for dating an English girl (despite being on course for a 1st Class degree at university)

I work on Assassin's Creed, so your guess is as good as mine, lo
l

No more Desmond segments plz or at least allow us to have the kick ass moments with Des full assassin

hypernima

Banned

Oh God, we've basically lived the same live in this aspect.

I think I'd better not post in anymore Race base threads for my duration on GAF.
My views are way to radical and I don't wanna risk getting banned.

I had an idea for a short movie where Iwata feeling bad about the Wii U gets help from a magical negro.

I await the screenplay.

harSon

Banned
The worst thing in these types of debates is the person who comes in and says "I'm black/a woman/gay/etc and I disagree with blah blah," and then everyone latches onto that comment as proof that they're right, completely ignoring every prior and future post from a black/woman/gay/etc poster.

Top Bottom