• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

I know who Cynthia Rothrock is *shrugs, she's a very typically named 80's action star.

I was born in 86

I can't name any movies off the top, but I know who she is.

harSon

Banned
I'm going to take a wild guess and say Cynthia Rothrock

Edit: I guess the page had been updated since I last had it opened....

Edit 2: The last movie I saw her in was heartbreaking... Sci-Fighter. Don "The Dragon" Wilson baby

Ratchetmess is the god damn devil, but...every now and then:

tumblr_mx1vdkWmUY1rqcu9eo1_1280.jpg

cdyhybrid

Ashy donuts #dead

Edit: Man too much fuckery going on in DotA2 tonight, going back to Skyrim. Was really itching to go out tonight but no one's going out, guess it's too damn cold or something. Damn.

cdyhybrid

That would work. Fried rice when prepared properly already has scramble egg in it.

Haha my cooking skill ain't high enough to make fried rice. Still living that bachelor life so my menu consists of eggs/rice, pasta, and various meats cooked on a Foreman served over rice w/ curry.

cdyhybrid

I got an SNES with Super Mario World for Xmas when I was 6. Got Link to the Past in my stocking. Still the best Christmas ever.

Why I stopped watching anime in my mid teens.

-I got a coupon for a free month of crunchyroll in my inbox; I'm not sure how I got it. I decided to try it out and see how the cartoons are nowadays. I scan through GAF threads in OT to see what anime is being talked about (I dare not venture to animeGAF). So far Valvrave seems to pop up on the first page alot so I read through the OP and I'm like. Word, space, mechs, explosions sounds dope. All the characters are like 15-17; red flag but I set aside my hesitation and watch.

First episode they get straight into the action, word. a big ass ship shoots a hole into their Biosphere...I already can't suspend my disbelief, like uh...vacuum of space, your oxygen rapidly depleting and no one is saying a thing...word? Then it spills into some ridiculously forced emo rollercoaster or some shit...I just can't. But I'm like yo...you can't properly talk shit about a show until you've watched the entire thing right? So I continue watching, pretty much skipping over the emo/love scenes because honestly they're awkward and painful. So I get to episode 10 pretty much knowing nothing about how these characters feel about one another outside of the obvious connections. So I guess the show felt the need to throw a twist in there for the "lulz". One of the characters basically rapes the other.....like what.in.the.fuck? Like WHAT?! I can't; I'm done.

Oh and the reason he does it?...lol wait for this...they're turned into these kinda like vampires by their mechs in order to use them but they're not really vampires (they take over the body of anyone they bite...) they're more like some rogue computer AI's desire to learn about the real world because anime or something, they haven't made that point clear. But so far only the main character seems to be afflicted by the AI's desires/ hunger pains (obviously)..

Sorry for the long post. Shit was just crazy to me.

And yea insomnia is a bitch, I haven't gone to sleep yet.

Slayven

wait, you guys dont know who cynthia rothrock is? the first lady of american martial arts movies?

I know who Cynthia Rothrock is *shrugs, she's a very typically named 80's action star.

I was born in 86

I can't name any movies off the top, but I know who she is.

That hurts my feelings that you cats dont know who miss rothrock is.
Millionaires Express

dont know who Cynthia Rothrock is!?!?! some young motherfuckers in here

raise your hand if you played a Nintendo 64

My niggas, those fools had me feeling like an old man.

-I got a coupon for a free month of crunchyroll in my inbox; I'm not sure how I got it. I decided to try it out and see how the cartoons are nowadays. I scan through GAF threads in OT to see what anime is being talked about (I dare not venture to animeGAF). So far Valvrave seems to pop up on the first page alot so I read through the OP and I'm like. Word, space, mechs, explosions sounds dope. All the characters are like 15-17; red flag but I set aside my hesitation and watch.

That was your first and worst mistake.

If it makes you feel better, plenty of people drop the show at Episode 10. The people who keep going are a...special sort.

It really does my heart good to see all this love for Rothrock, she's one of the great ones.

Ah, Cynthia Rothrock. /The/ white woman of martial arts movies.

Though I like Sandahl Bergman better. Not a martial artist, but she was awesome in Conan The Barbarian.

First episode they get straight into the action, word. a big ass ship shoots a hole into their Biosphere...I already can't suspend my disbelief, like uh...vacuum of space, your oxygen rapidly depleting and no one is saying a thing...word? Then it spills into some ridiculously forced emo rollercoaster or some shit...I just can't. But I'm like yo...you can't properly talk shit about a show until you've watched the entire thing right? So I continue watching, pretty much skipping over the emo/love scenes because honestly they're awkward and painful. So I get to episode 10 pretty much knowing nothing about how these characters feel about one another outside of the obvious connections. So I guess the show felt the need to throw a twist in there for the "lulz". One of the characters basically rapes the other.....like what.in.the.fuck? Like WHAT?! I can't; I'm done.

Oh and the reason he does it?...lol wait for this...they're turned into these kinda like vampires by their mechs in order to use them but they're not really vampires (they take over the body of anyone they bite...) they're more like some rogue computer AI's desire to learn about the real world because anime or something, they haven't made that point clear. But so far only the main character seems to be afflicted by the AI's desires/ hunger pains (obviously)..

Valvrave is incredible. Just turn your brain off dude, you're thinking too much, maybe that's why you can't sleep. They explain most stuff, but seriously does it matter? It's like complaining that Superman isn't realistic. Just gotta roll with it.

In any case more mainstream stuff would be something like Attack on Titan or Fullmetal Alchemist. If you want some family viewing, I showed my mom Usagi Drop which she enjoyed. You have to already like anime to enjoy the crazy stuff like Code Geass or Valvrave. I'd advise you to keep watching though, season 2 is better (in that it gets even crazier).

Trey

I recently rewatched FMA: Brotherhood in its entirety. I don't like the anime format any longer. So much good in Brotherhood held back by certain conventions of the format.

Not sure why, but I've been listening to a lot of dancehall recently.

There's more anti-gay shit than I expected in some of the older stuff. Buju Banton in particular...

RedSwirl

You basically explained why I watch like one anime show per season these days. Mostly I'm just waiting to be able to afford Blu-Rays I'm looking at like Patlabor, Hellsing Ultimate, and OG Tenchi.

And manga. At least with manga I can fairly easily run into shit like Vinland or Swagamoto (whatever it's called).

Trey

Not sure what you mean. Could you elaborate?

Static scenes: characters just standing there waiting their turn to talk. Feels so stiff.

Animation quality changes drastically between scenes. It's jarring.

The dialogue is weird. Obviously there are cultural idiosyncrasies that must be accounted for when translating from Japanese to English, but a lot of stuff is so cheesy, especially when it's repeated three or four times by a character.

The passage of time isn't conveyed well. It's cool how Ed gets taller over the course of the series, though.

The overused chibi face and goofy reactions which suck all tension from scenes. I was glad they stopped that foolishness almost completely for the last twelve episodes or so.

Valvrave is incredible. Just turn your brain off dude, you're thinking too much, maybe that's why you can't sleep. They explain most stuff, but seriously does it matter? It's like complaining that Superman isn't realistic. Just gotta roll with it.

Obviously it matters to me or I wouldn't be complaining about it. You bring up Superman, but shit at least they try to explain things even if most of the times it takes a suspension of disbelief. Valvrave asks for alot more than that, it basically asks you to bludgeon your disbelief to death with a mallet. Maybe if they wrote better characters I wouldn't focus on everything else, because seriously all of these characters introduced are so damn 2 dimensional even by anime standards. They lay the emotional tug so thick but it ultimately falls flat and you end up not caring about any of the characters. Shoko's dad and her feelings? No fucks given, Akira and his sister's emotional baggage? No fucks given, Blonde girl who's not at all white despite being protraryed as such who seemingly was aroused by possessed Hotaru? No fucks given, Purple hair idol girl? No fucks given. Only character so far in this show even remotely cool is L-elf and some of the Dorssian guys.

In any case more mainstream stuff would be something like Attack on Titan or Fullmetal Alchemist. If you want some family viewing, I showed my mom Usagi Drop which she enjoyed. You have to already like anime to enjoy the crazy stuff like Code Geass or Valvrave. I'd advise you to keep watching though, season 2 is better (in that it gets even crazier).

Code Geass was actually well written outside of some of the stuff with his dad. Valvrave isn't really anywhere near Code Geass in that respect. FMA was well written, there were inherent and strict rules the show followed, I've never watched AoT but I read the manga, but even there it's well written compared to Valvrave. I think I would have liked it better if it were a comedy/action instead of this attempt at being Gundam or something. I dunoo, I'm just finding it hard to actually like this show.

/shrug.

DominoKid

every time i go in the anime thread i always see the most ridiculous reactions to Valvrave so i never bothered looking at it. i knew it wouldn't be some shit i would like. i've never had the suspension of disbelief problem though.

I watched 3 eps of Fate/Zero after I gave up on Wolverine last night. not bad.

Code Geass is awesome.

I have a friend's crunchy roll login. I marathoned Attack on Titan, it was cool but I wish I had waited til it was at least confirmed it would be completed as an anime before jumping in. I need some suggestions on what to watch.

Space Brothers is a solid watch so far, it's not mechs, swords and demons if that's what you're into.

When I told my gf "I'm gonna watch an anime called Space Brothers" she replied "Is that about black guys in space?"

"..unfortunately, no."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom