• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
What has BCT been watching? Boardwalk's season ended recently, Homeland's episode tonight was pretty great. I just finished watching blacklist yesterday.
Walking Dead (now on break)
American Horror Story Coven- Angela Basset has elevated the show considerably.
Revolution - I downloaded S1 and promised myself I'd finish it even if it's not very good.

Imm0rt4l

Walking Dead (now on break)
American Horror Story Coven- Angela Basset has elevated the show considerably.
Revolution - I downloaded S1 and promised myself I'd finish it even if it's not very good.

Yea Angela is pretty great in AHS. 2nd half of this season has been meh, but that seems to always be the case. I might watch Revolution.

On season 2 of Dexter

I have an addiction. I got a problem.

You've probably already heard this but the show goes to shit. Also, Lila can get it. She was in Spartacus as well, tits and all.

American Horror Story, Arrow and Almost Human at the moment.

miss boardwalk on sundays though :(, can't wait for that true detective show on hbo to start up soon.

I was watching Oprah (....) and she had a special where she was interviewing idris elba, chiwetel ejiofor and michael b. jordan. man i'm so glad these dudes are in the spotlight now. been too long being a fan of them in some stuff and not seeing them get their due.

Imm0rt4l

What have you seen so far Immortal. I could recommend older shows.
Breaking Bad/ Mad men
House of Cards
Fringe/ American Horror story
The walking dead
dexter/ homeland
the wire
Game of Thrones/ Boardwalk Empire
lost
the blacklist
arrested development
archer
sherlock
spartacus
the office/parcs and rec
californication
Downton Abbey
Luther

sopranos is a must after seeing that list. hilarious and great drama too.

also strike back, luther, deadwood, boardwalk, the shield, friday night lights. you got an awesome future of tv shows

Imm0rt4l

sopranos is a must after seeing that list. hilarious and great drama too.

also strike back, luther, deadwood, boardwalk, the shield, friday night lights. you got an awesome future of tv shows

Yea, I'm ashamed to say I still haven't seen the shield. That should probably help my crime drama fix. I hear deadwood dropped a lot so I'll check that out.

Breaking Bad/ Mad men
House of Cards
The walking dead
dexter/ homeland
the wire
lost
the blacklist
arrested development
archer
sherlock
spartacus
the office/parcs and rec
californication
Downton Abbey
Luther

You know some more HBO series in your life.

Try Band of Brothers, Carnivale, Oz, Deadwood, Sopranos, Big Love, Rome.

Yea, I'm ashamed to say I still haven't seen the shield. That should probably help my crime drama fix. I hear deadwood dropped a lot so I'll check that out.

My brother dont be shamed I have only seen the first 2 seasons. I still have the wire to watch. Banshee was pretty good for a short 10 ep season. Ive been hearing good things about Orphan Black. Anybody know anything?

Currently in my netflix/on demand queue-
Miami Vice
Farscape
Earth 2
The Wire
Boardwalk Empire
Fringe
Poirot

Was Carnivale good? And good shit on that OZ. Loved it.

caesar

Banned
Luther is required viewing.

lutherisgone.gif

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Strike Back is good shit. Crime Story and Homocide are great crime dramas from back in the day. Top of the Lake was incredible.

Dy gonna get his Dexter addiction broken, asap. lol. That show was great at first, but the writing took a nose dive worse than any other show I've seen.

I'm not saying that knockout game might not have some shady reporting, but it does exist...

Oldschoolgamer

Put it like this. I doubt the shit posted up on the media is racially motivated and that the coverage is more than likely fear mongering. That being said, I know for a fact that shit exists and has for a long ass time now. *shrugs* People don't give a fuck until someone other than the homeless or a minority get caught, and now it's all over the place.

Truthfully, at the end of the day, it's still assault.

Just finished a run of Leverage. About to watch Earth 2, Farscape, and possibly Fringe.

You can't go wrong with Farscape.

Fringe is great, but disjointed. It was always on the verge of being cancelled,so the writers always had to write in satisfactory endings to the series. Walter Bishop is one the best characters I've seen in a while. It sucks he never got any Emmy appreciation.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Holy shit

I don't check PMs that often. I'll respond when I get off work today. Sorry about that to all that messaged me.

RedSwirl

I guess I need to watch The Wire someday. Maybe after I get this computer hooked up to my TV and no longer have to deal with figuring out which device I'm gonna try to argue with HBO Go on.

Spat_triate

BlackGAF, I can't identify with the vast majority of African Americans I meet (I'm Afro Caribbean). I've been trying for almost a decade, but the cultural gap feels unbridgeable. As a recently naturalized US citizen, the pressure is on for me to connect with more of my AA brethren.

Help?

Breaking Bad/ Mad men
House of Cards
The walking dead
dexter/ homeland
the wire
lost
the blacklist
arrested development
archer
sherlock
spartacus
the office/parcs and rec
californication
Downton Abbey
Luther

The Shield
Sons of Anarchy

Also belong. I assume you've seen 24?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Yea, I'm ashamed to say I still haven't seen the shield.
Drop whatever you're doing and go. Watch. It. Immediately. One of my favourite series EVER and even when it drags (Glenn Close series arc) it was still hypnotic television drama. I binged through the whole series in 3 weeks, nearly triggering a divorce and I regret nothing.

We need to pray for Bish this Thursday.
Thanks for the kind words, friends

BlackGAF, I can't identify with the vast majority of African Americans I meet (I'm Afro Caribbean). I've been trying for almost a decade, but the cultural gap feels unbridgeable. As a recently naturalized US citizen, the pressure is on for me to connect with more of my AA brethren.

Help?
Don't try too hard... I know I didn't. It should just come naturally.

Gorillaz

bish let me get a little bit of that power and be modbot on thrusday

I need to....i need to see how the other half lives

reading this page though I'm missing out on alot of these shows damn

Luther is one of the few shows that I could stand to watch. Mainly because it is pretty as fuck and doesn't make me want to pluck out my eye balls like every other TV show.

Edit: Some point me in the direction of this years best R&B or Soul albums.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Help?

How so? Not all African Americans think/act alike.

Oldschoolgamer

Somewhere along the recent seasons, Sons of Anarchy went from good to GTA 5 levels of fukkery. It fell off, super hard, but it's entertaining.

The R&B thread. It started in 2012, but it still has gems in it. Needs to be updated with Tinashe and Jhene Aiko's recent releases.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Drop whatever you're doing and go. Watch. It. Immediately. One of my favourite series EVER and even when it drags (Glenn Close series arc) it was still hypnotic television drama. I binged through the whole series in 3 weeks, nearly triggering a divorce and I regret nothing.

THIS. Rodeo Clown and were just discussing the ending over PM yesterday. It's such a wonderful show.

It's even crazier knowing that most of the stories from that show are fucking real.

harSon

Banned
Breaking Bad/ Mad men
House of Cards
The walking dead
dexter/ homeland
the wire
lost
the blacklist
arrested development
archer
sherlock
spartacus
the office/parcs and rec
californication
Downton Abbey
Luther

Listen to Dev and fill in the rest of the HBO catalog. Sopranos, Oz, Band of Brothers, Six Feet Under, Deadwood and Rome are some quality shows. Some of the best of all time. Carnivale, too, but its cancellation is heartbreaking. True Blood is campy and raunchy, but incredibly entertaining. A bit inconsistent but worth the watch. Eastbound and Down is great if you're a fan of that type of Comedy. The Newsroom is really good too. Don't forget some of HBO's mini series like Band of Brothers, Generation Kill, John Adams and The Pacific to a lesser extent.

- Sons of Anarchy has been consistently good to great since its first season.
- The Shield is excellent.
- Justified is fucking great.
- Have you seen 24? If not, watch it now. It's ridiculous at times, and the later seasons (outside of the awesome last season) are misfires, but it's so damned entertaining and addicting.
- Person of Interest
- Sleeper Cell. If you like Homeland or 24, watch this fucking show. It's only a 2 season commitment, but it's really good.

Recent shows that are quality: Banshee, Strike Back, Bate's Motel, Hannibal, Ray Donovan, Top of the Lake, Vikings, Orphan Black, The Americans, The Bridge, Hell on Wheels. It's being remade, but do yourself and watch the original The Returned.

British shows (I hate British humor, so don't look to me for recommendations within the genre): Misfits, Life on Mars, Sherlock, State of Play, Mad Dogs, Black Mirror, Spooks/MI-5, The Fall, Utopia, This Is England ’86/’88, Ultraviolet (Idris Elba is in it), Dead Set and Southcliffe

Season One then BAIL THE FUCK OUT: Heroes and Prison Break.

Comedies: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Real Husbands of Hollywood, The League, Louie, Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Canceled shows (ie. Awesome shows, short commitment): Firefly (If you like Whedon, Buffy and Dollhouse are good shows, with the latter fitting within this category), Arrested Development (no longer the case though), Twin Peaks, Jericho, Terriers, Freaks & Geeks/Undeclared, Dead Like Me/Pushing Daisies/Wonderfalls (Poor dude can't catch a break) and Day Break. The Borgias was really good too.

Science Fiction: Battlestar Galactica (last season is weak, but the show leading up to that is excellent), Fringe, X-Files and Stargate SG-1. My other recommendations depend on how much you like Science Fiction, and how nerdy you are. Star Trek: The Next Generation (Stars off weak and is inconsistent, but its' highs are REALLY high), Deep Space Nine, Babylon 5 (The first season is legitimately shit, but make it through that and enjoy some masterful television).

Quality Mini series that haven't been mentioned: The Lost Room, The Pillars of the Earth, Hattfields & Mccoys, Taken, Mildred Pierce, Carlos, "I, Claudius, Pride and Prejudice, Lonesome Dove, Shaka Zulu, Shogun, The Red Riding.

Non-American/British shows: City of Men (Basically City of God: The TV show), Äkta människor/Real Humans (Pretty interesting Scandanavian sci fi show), Borgen, Underbelly (Aussie Sopranos), Spiral (Quality french crime show), Forbrydelsen/The Crime (The original The Killing), Riget/The Kingdom (Lars Von Trier show), Edge of Darkness (original show the movie with Mel Gibson is based on).'

I think I'm done...

Nakazato

Luther is one of the few shows that I could stand to watch. Mainly because it is pretty as fuck and doesn't make me want to pluck out my eye balls like every other TV show.

and dat alice morgan

I like AMC's the killing its good and shot fucking gritty

DominoKid

the new R. Kelly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom