• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

while some of these are straight up racist.
I think others are simply people being curious about another person. Sometimes our curiosity leads us to ask about something that maybe a positive in an ignorant way.

Yea, asking "what are you" isn't really racist imo. I'm sure the intent isn't to relegate you to an 'it', they just may have poorly worded it. I don't think a person asking about your background means any sort of ill intent.

Gorillaz

I feel bad asking this but I can't honestly be the only one thinking it

Did anyone else fill in a different bubble on the part of standardized test where they ask you what ethnicity you are? I think in 10th grade during the state test I put "other" or something else just to see if anything would happen

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Man Youtube crackin down on videogames is kinda rough. On one hand I don't care if guys like DSP or Pewdepie don't make money off some shitty lets play vids that has little or no real effort put into them. On the other hand their are some legitimate quality youtube peeps that put out good stuff for videogames.

This is why i got written permission for EVERYTHING!

Jd8BbCg.jpg

Red Beans mixed with boudin, some goat cheese and bone in stuffed porkchop.

I feel bad asking this but I can't honestly be the only one thinking it

Did anyone else fill in a different bubble on the part of standardized test where they ask you what ethnicity you are? I think in 10th grade during the state test I put "other" or something else just to see if anything would happen

I think I marked "other" one time because I was going through a weird rebellious phase when I was all like "I'm not just black, I'm Jamaican-American! I'm not represented on here! You can't box me in son!"

My mother's Jamaican, so it's technically accurate, but at a certain point I felt it was a bit of a pointless "rebellion", lol. So I just go with black. Also, besides eating a lot of curry chicken and patties growing up, and bumping some Beres Hammond every once in a while, I'm pretty much the least Jamaican half-Jamaican dude ever, lol.
plus, I love eating de pum pum, DEFYING THEM STEREOTYPES!

Barzul

Being African, some of the more interesting ones I've had asked are.

Did you live in huts?

Did you have to like hunt with spears and like have gang wars with 'em (wtf)?

So you guys like had Lions and Rhinos for pets right?

So did you guys just walk around naked and not care?

Here's the worst one:
So I heard y'all have Dinosaurs in Africa?
Typically I try to correct peoples ignorance, but this was just bad, so I played along. I was like
Me: "Yeah where do you think all the Dinosaurs went? They didn't really go extinct, they're over in Africa. "

Dude: "Forreal, y'all had em as pets and shit?"

Me: "Heck yeah, I had a T-rex pet, used to feed it goats everyday, wish I had a pic to show you but they're all on my old phone".

Dude: "That's wassup man, I need to go to Africa and see me some Dinosaurs"

Bottomline he believed me. I had heard stuff of some Americans being ignorant about other cultures, but this straight up dumbfounded me, I couldn't stop laughing when he'd left.

Aim_Ed

Being African, some of the more interesting ones I've had asked are.

Did you live in huts?

Did you have to like hunt with spears and like have gang wars with 'em (wtf)?

So you guys like had Lions and Rhinos for pets right?

So did you guys just walk around naked and not care?

I love when other Africans ask me questions about my background because they tend to know their shit, although they always assume I'm from whatever country they're from.

Imm0rt4l

I love when other Africans ask me questions about my background because they tend to know their shit, although they always assume I'm from whatever country they're from.

For me I can only really tell by regions, or sometimes the persons name. I can tell the West Africans for the most part, Sudanese people, Somali, and Ethiopian are easy to tell.

Aim_Ed

For me I can only really tell by regions, or sometimes the persons name. I can tell the West Africans for the most part, Sudanese people, Somali, and Ethiopian are easy to tell.

I usually just role with African American since I have a bit of a ghetto accent(probably from listening to so much hip hop) and there are only about 1000 black folk in my city of 140 000+.

Is it too much to ask where black culture GAF is from? I assume most of you are actual African Americans and probably know more about each other than I do.
I should definitely hop into IRC if it's active.

Edit: I have a feeling I killed the vibe in here.

DominoKid

I know I shouldn't be surprised that R. Kelly actually included a pair of black panties with his new album Black Panties. But that's just wild.

Got my X-Men sweater today. Yasss.

Pics or it didnt happen....

Actually im just curious about which sweater.

And those Porkchops were stuffed with Boudin. My lady was all kinds of excited. Next week Im cooking a deboned whole chicken stuffed with crawfish and boudin. Dont know what Im doing for a side. Ill figure it out...

I know I shouldn't be surprised that R. Kelly actually included a pair of black panties with his new album Black Panties. But that's just wild.

Did they come from the drawers of 14 year olds?

Pics or it didnt happen....

Actually im just curious about which sweater.

And those Porkchops were stuffed with Boudin. My lady was all kinds of excited. Next week Im cooking a deboned whole chicken stuffed with crawfish and boudin. Dont know what Im doing for a side. Ill figure it out...

Fwqqru5.jpg

trixx

I'm from Ghana. Some Ghanaians can just look at me and tell i'm from there, it's weird as hell.

There was a girl in one of my classes that could tell from my name. She's half Ghanaian. I wish i had game.

Didn't know asking where a person was from was considered uncool.

Imm0rt4l

I usually just role with African American since I have a bit of a ghetto accent(probably from listening to so much hip hop) and there are only about 1000 black folk in my city of 140 000+.

Is it too much to ask where black culture GAF is from? I assume most of you are actual African Americans and probably know more about each other than I do.

Nah it's cool the thread stays moving. Most everyone in the thread has done an intro like in the OP. I'm a black American, Nigerian heritage more specifically Yoruba.

I'm from Ghana. Some Ghanaians can just look at me and tell i'm from there, it's weird as hell.

There was a girl in one of my classes that could tell from my name. She's half Ghanaian. I wish i had game.

Nothing wrong with it, that part of the article was reaching hard imo. It's more how about how you ask .

Aim_Ed

Nice sweater, lmao.

My only Ghanaian friend made the under-18 national soccer team a few years ago, I've never seen him since.

AfroMW

Malawian, currently in Canada. Recently got my citizenship so I'm not heading anywhere for a long time

Barzul

I'm Nigerian, so I can tell when someone is from there when I hear their name read out. Also I can tell from the way some people look, you have to be from here to see the tells. It's kinda hard to describe.

Aim_Ed

Malawian, currently in Canada. Recently got my citizenship so I'm not heading anywhere for a long time

Canada is awesome, I hope you're enjoying it here. Just note that Toronto is the center of the world and you'll do fine.
I'm Nigerian, so I can tell when someone is from there when I hear their name read out. Also I can tell from the way some people look, you have to be from here to see the tells. It's kinda hard to describe.

I have a good idea on what a Nigerian accent is like, so there's that.
Those of you from places or backgrounds other than Ethiopian what's the cuisine like? I've only had Ethiopian.

As a Somali it's basically the same. Maybe more camel, rice, and for whatever reason crepes(malawax) for breakfast. We have a really diverse cuisine though, as a result of our geographic position in the world(Arab, Ethiopian, and Indian influences mostly).

Imm0rt4l

Seeing Devo's sweater the 90's x-men theme song came to mind

Then it reminded me of whitney houston "I'm your baby tonight"

Those of you from places or backgrounds other than Ethiopian what's the cuisine like? I've only had Ethiopian.

Ethiopian food's pretty good, though I'm not a fan of injera. Somali food is basically the same thing. Nigerian/West African food a lot of time consists of white rice, covered in stew, maybe a side of plantain. Stews are generally tomato based, sometimes with some greens, or okra. You can do a search on some of the stuff like meat pies, fufu, jollof rice, .

So I had to pick up the new R.Kelly album. The girl working the check out line was really good looking. She looks at the CD, looks up at me, and then looks back at the CD. I wonder what she was thinking as she scanned the candle and condoms next.

kidding about the condoms.

Barzul

Well we eat a lot of rice in Nigeria and have variety of dishes. Rice and Tomato Stew, Jollof rice, Fried rice. Also we have this thing called Eba we eat with different soups. It's made from Cassava tubers like Fufu (if you've heard of that) but not as smooth. Some soups we eat with it are Egusi soup, Ewedu soup, Okra soup, Edikaikong (my favorite). We also have something we call Pepper soup which is made with a variety of spices and pepper and it's delicious.

A dish my tribe (I'm Igbo) make with it is called Isi Ewu which literally means goat head. Basically it involves taking the insides of a goats head and making pepper soup with it, might sound disgusting to some but it is incredibly delicious. We also have a kinda shish kebab snack called SuYa, which is made by mixing a concoction of spices and peppers and covering the meat (Chicken, Beef or Fish) with it. It is then barbecued and it is extremely delicious and I've yet to come across anything like it here.

One thing you will notice is the abscence of pork in most of our dishes and I'd never had pork till I went England for the first time, this is because the Northern half of Nigeria is predominantly Muslim and pork is forbidden in their diets. We do however substitute in goat meat for it which I think tastes better overall. Goat skin seasoned and cooked well is really delicious and chewy (this makes me remember the first time I killed a goat). We also use snail meat is some of our soups which also tastes good. Overall our food tends to be more spicy and flavorful than what I typically get in the US. You can Google most of these dishes and get an idea of what they look like and the steps to prepare them.

Edit: How could I forget about Plantain. Once you've had fried plantain (or Dodo), you'll wonder why you ever went without it.

Aim_Ed

Stews are generally tomato based, sometimes with some greens, or okra.

When I was a kid my uncle told me that a lot of Somalis can't stand veggies when they move to the west. I don't know how true that statement is, but it explains a lot about my eating habits as a kid.

AfroMW

Canada is awesome, I hope you're enjoying it here. Just note that Toronto is the center of the world and you'll do fine.

I'm currently in Edmonton, Alberta so I just deal with what life chucks at me. I do want to visit Toronto at some point though.

Various dishes, a lot of rice as well. Nshima (Variation of Fufu) lots of beef dishes but mostly fish because there is a lake in Malawi so fishing is common. I'd say Malawi has quite a few similar dishes with Nigerian food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom