• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same reason Sony and Microsoft didn't put their games on Wii.

Pretty much. Underpowered system with a gimmick nobody wanted with a price that was too high with little-to-no marketing and just left to rot for half a year. I love Pikmin 3/W101/Super Mario 3D World, but they boy they really fucked themselves with this console. It got DOUBLED by the Gamecube. DOUBLED by that system that did 22 million worldwide. With a price drop and their biggest game of the year on store shelves

kRW3ZlW.png

Its over

Imm0rt4l

Without getting too much into bullshit here: Why doesn't Nintendo just create games with their IPs for XBOX ONE and PS4? Or future consoles?

Because it undermines their console.

Nintendo puts even more value in their 1st party, and software than the other guys. 1st party is all they have.

BlackJace

But what I'm suggesting means more of it.

Handheld is strong but I just don't see why they don't cash out of the console market and focus on software for the big guns.

Royalties and other things will ensure that doesn't happen. There's a poster on Gaming Side named AniHawk who has a good write up on why it wouldn't be lucrative for them, if you're interested.

Royalties and other things will ensure that doesn't happen. There's a poster on GS named AniHawk who has a good write up on why it wouldn't be lucrative for them, if you're interested.

I don't see how there's a future in staying insular if they can't push console sales.

JohnDoe

Banned
Without getting too much into bullshit here: Why doesn't Nintendo just create games with their IPs for XBOX ONE and PS4? Or future consoles?

Smash Bros. and Mario Kart are coming out soon and they are also knee deep into the development of a New Zelda iirc. As soon as they are done with all of them who knows what might happen? But I imagine a shift from 1st party to 3rd doesn't happen just all of a sudden.

Can't wait for Nintendo Games and Virtual Console titles on steam tbh.

JohnDoe

Banned
My thinking is that I would love to play Ninty shit but I'm not buying their hardware. I know I'm not alone on this.

I'm in the same boat, the 3DS has a really good library and that's why I bought it but the hardware is shit compared to vita. Mario Kart and Smash Bros look pretty cool too but I'll never buy a Wii U.

Trey

I don't see a future for that console.

There wouldn't be a future for Nintendo in the hardware space the exact moment they pimped out their most valuable IPs to their direct competitors. And the short term gains in profit Nintendo would get from selling to more consoles wouldn't be that huge (how big exactly is the demographic of people who are dying for Mario and Zelda games but will not buy a Nintendo console whatsoever?).

It's not a good idea from any angle to Nintendo.

BlackJace

Eh, the "go third-party" stuff normally ticks me off, but at least you guys are being civil about it. If anything, the Wii U will hopefully show them that its time for a paradigm shift. Current Nintendo (in the console space) just isn't going to cut it.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
We'll see what happens. Shit is dire, but in terms of business, they crushed the buildings for damn near an entire generation with the wii and ds. It wouldn't make any sense for them to up and call it quits.

What's surprising, is that they haven't fired the man in charge.

The same way you all feel about ninty games, I feel about xbone and ps4 games. I'd rather just buy all of that shit for pc.

Imm0rt4l

There wouldn't be a future for Nintendo in the hardware space the exact moment they pimped out their most valuable IPs to their direct competitors. And the short term gains in profit Nintendo would get from selling to more consoles wouldn't be that huge (how big exactly is the demographic of people who are dying for Mario and Zelda games but will not buy a Nintendo console whatsoever?).

It's not a good idea from any angle to Nintendo.

I'd wager that it's a substantial amount. But I agree it's a bad look for them.

We'll see what happens. Shit is dire, but in terms of business, they crushed the buildings for damn near an entire generation with the wii and ds. It wouldn't make any sense for them to up and call it quits.

The same way you all feel about ninty games, I feel about xbone and ps4 games. I'd rather just buy all of that shit for pc.

I do that too. Especially stuff like Skyrim.

Trey

Eh, the "go third-party" stuff normally ticks me off, but at least you guys are being civil about it. If anything, the Wii U will hopefully show them that its time for a paradigm shift. Current Nintendo (in the console space) just isn't going to cut it.

They thought they could just make another Wii like it's just that simple. The demo that made the Wii so popular moved on to handhelds and tablets and weren't reupping for 350. Also Nintendo marketing for the WiiU was terrible. People still don't know what it is.

JohnDoe

Banned

I agree, I want everything except handheld games on PC lol

BHZ Mayor

But what I'm suggesting means more of it.

Handheld is strong but I just don't see why they don't cash out of the console market and focus on software for the big guns.

You really think that crowd would buy Nintendo games though? Playstation owners, maybe, but Xbox? l-o-fucking-l.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't see a future for that console.

It also undermines their handheld business, which is actually more important to the continuing success of the company.

Even with the ridiculous success of the Wii, it was still outsold by the DS family by 50 percent. They sold 100 million Wiis, and 150 million DS systems.

We tend to focus on the console side, partially because the WiiU performance is hilariously bad in that arena, but the secret about Nintendo that nobody talks about is that their handhelds have been enough to keep them afloat basically since the release of the original Game Boy.

It's also why people need to stop making Sega comparisons. Sega dropped out of the hardware market during the Dreamcast era, but they lacked the benefit of a Nintendo sized thriving handheld business; the Dreamcast also followed the amazing successes that were the Sega CD, 32X and Saturn while the WiiU is coming after Nintendo's most successful console machine ever.

You really think that crowd would buy Nintendo games though? Playstation owners, maybe, but Xbox? l-o-fucking-l.

I really think that the crowd that grew up with nintendo IPs but doesn't want to buy shit hardware would buy it, yes. I don't think it's that crazy of a thought.

Imm0rt4l

I think you're underestimating the amount of people who grew up on Mario/ Zelda but have simply moved on "to greener pastures".

You'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't love Nintendo IP's as a gamer. It's just not their be all end all. Nintendo's first party is that strong.

DominoKid

I really think that the crowd that grew up with nintendo IPs but doesn't want to buy shit hardware would buy it, yes. I don't think it's that crazy of a thought.

this is where i'm at. my dad had the NES and SNES. and i had all the handhelds up to the 3DS. i refuse to buy a nintendo console though.

I think you're underestimating the amount of people who grew up on Mario/ Zelda but have simply moved on "to greener pastures".

You'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't love Nintendo IP's as a gamer. It's just not their be all end all. Nintendo's first party is that strong.

I really like Zelda but I'm not shelling out bucks for a whole console that can do little else.

BHZ Mayor

Thinking about it, as a consumer, I'd probably be down for Nintendo going third party, if only because of the complete gaping lack of those types of games on the HD-er twins, but I think you guys are overestimating the size of that demographic, and underestimating the dominance of the "I only play mature games for mature gamers like myself" crowd, which isn't helped by the media's seeming preference for it. I doubt enough Xbox/PS gamers would buy enough Nintendo games to keep them afloat. One needs look no further than the sales of something like Rayman Legends or Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, or games like LittleBigPlanet and Ratchet and Clank (which is probably the closest the HD-er twins have to a Mario) selling significantly less than games like Uncharted or God of War.

Imm0rt4l

Thinking about it, as a consumer, I'd probably be down for Nintendo going third party, if only because of the complete gaping lack of those types of games on the HD-er twins, but I think you guys are overestimating the size of that demographic, and underestimating the dominance of the "I only play mature games for mature gamers like myself" crowd, which isn't helped by the media's seeming preference for it. I doubt enough Xbox/PS gamers would buy enough Nintendo games to keep them afloat. One needs look no further than the sales of something like Rayman Legends or Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, or games like LittleBigPlanet and Ratchet and Clank (which is probably the closest the HD-er twins have to a Mario) selling significantly less than games like Uncharted or God of War.

Nah dude, just look at the amount of people on gaf that do all this port begging. This idea of players who only play mature games is really overblown. Guys who play only COD and Madden aren't really and indicator of anything, and even then Nintendo has pure nostalgia on their side. Mario isn't looked at as just some platformer, it's Mario.

RedSwirl

I like to think that Nintendo's profit model is part of what helps those games quality-wise. Since software isn't Nintendo's sole revenue stream they don't have to rush the games out and can actually release what feel like finished products. Blizzard has WoW, Epic has Unreal licenses, Valve has Steam, and Nintendo has its hardware.

It also undermines their handheld business, which is actually more important to the continuing success of the company.

Even with the ridiculous success of the Wii, it was still outsold by the DS family by 50 percent. They sold 100 million Wiis, and 150 million DS systems.

We tend to focus on the console side, partially because the WiiU performance is hilariously bad in that arena, but the secret about Nintendo that nobody talks about is that their handhelds have been enough to keep them afloat basically since the release of the original Game Boy.

It's also why people need to stop making Sega comparisons. Sega dropped out of the hardware market during the Dreamcast era, but they lacked the benefit of a Nintendo sized thriving handheld business; the Dreamcast also followed the amazing successes that were the Sega CD, 32X and Saturn while the WiiU is coming after Nintendo's most successful console machine ever.

This is part of what I always think when people throw out comments about the doom of the entire company. This and Nintendo's profit margins. N64 and Gamecube may have gotten stomped numbers-wise by Sony, but they didn't actually lose Nintendo any money. Shit, despite Nintendo's sales last year the company actually RETURNED to profitability after posting its first loss in 30 years.

And everybody also kind of ignores one of the biggest factors in Nintendo's profits: the yen. Nintendo posted that loss when the yen got strong against the dollar (the currency of most of the consumers who buy Nintendo's products), and returned to profitability when Abenomics kicked in.

Nintendo definitely needs to do something, but the end of its hardware business is nowhere near imminent. It still has fairly significant breathing room before things become truly critical.

Aight I think I'm done posting about Nintendo tonight.

Imm0rt4l

Nintendo's thought they could catch lightning in a bottle twice. They took a disruptive route with the wii and it worked. I feel that having abandoned what made wii special is them conceding that the novelty has worn off. Thinking that they could capitalize on tablets by incorporating a 130 dollar controller was really poor judgement. The novelty isn't even readily understandable like wii's motion control was.

AniHawk

that's not an option as long as they have hardware. i don't mean consoles- they can work on their handhelds, putting more teams on more games considering they require less resources.

the 3ds isn't really setting the world on fire, but going third-party should be a last resort once their handhelds start putting up wii u numbers. at that point they would need to severely restructure to accommodate for the requirements of other first parties.

i think things are changing so rapidly that the old console structure is going to turn games into a service. microsoft had the right idea back in may, but they're probably a good ten years early to that party.

Kreed

For the same reason Apple doesn't want their software to be run on non Apple machines/gadgets. They like controlling the hardware that manipulates their software. From a software developers perspective it makes sense, as Nintendo doesn't want to be at the creative mercy of what ever Sony, Microsoft, or another hardware developer puts out. But it also means they have to sell people on their ideas and why it's better than MS and Sony, which works sometimes (DS, Wii) and doesn't work other times (3D in the 3DS, Wii U).

Anyway like many have said, if Nintendo does two flops in a row (consoles), that's when it will be time to theorize on what they do next, as no one will want to carry their hardware and they will be forced to go strictly portable (probably will be a good time to combine both markets anyway, considering their controller is already a giant DS).

Anyway like many have said, if Nintendo does two flops in a row (consoles), that's when it will be time to theorize on what they do next, as no one will want to carry their hardware and they will be forced to go strictly portable (probably will be a good time to combine both markets anyway, considering their controller is already a giant DS).

This is what really boggled my mind when it all hit. They already have the Ds why even bother making the Wii: U.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This is what really boggled my mind when it all hit. They already have the Ds why even bother making the Wii: U.

Because the Wii sold 100 million units.

They saw the rise of tablet gaming, along with the DS, and miscalculated that putting a screen in the controller, along with the Wii name, would help them to reach the mass market like those platforms did. Those weren't the only mistakes they made either.

AfroMW

Anybody got any recommendations of vodka?

I'm trying to see what other options there are or at least people's opinions. I usually stick with Smirnoff or Absolut.

Anything else I could try?

Imm0rt4l

People act like firing Iwata would save Nintendo. Honestly I think Nintendo is too oldschool and they'd just shift someone else below him into his place. I don't think they would scout out a new ceo, and I'm sure the person probably has to be Japanese.

Anybody got any recommendations of vodka?

I'm trying to see what other options there are or at least people's opinions. I usually stick with Smirnoff or Absolut.

Anything else I could try?
Wish I could help, I drink what evers availble honestly. Even if it comes in a plastic bottle and anything that comes from a plastic bottle is trash honestly. I find myself drinking more whiskey and rum, mostly because I'm a social drinker and my friends don't care for vodka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom