• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Gardena.

And I don't think I like fried chicken much at all. The last time I can remember enjoying chicken outside of wings was when I had baked chicken.

Gonna have to look for some recipes.

A south bay resident? That doesn't surprise me for some reason.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Folks came through with the wii u for the holidays. Mario 3D world is fun as hell...though...this cat suit is fucking op. Why is this in the game?

Slayven

He might be a a water type, but he is hot fire.

tumblr_mx6qmz2t8L1rpn9eno1_500.gif

FyreWulff

Didn't even know about Carol Channing, but if you couldn't tell Maya Rudolph is half black you need eyeglasses.

lmao, thats just as bad at the gallon of milk a day stuff.
Now that would kill me.

I'm averaging this right now. Using milk for the meal mixes and to take my meds. Went to the store and bought 4 gallons of milk the other day, one of them is gone already.

hypernima

Banned
Didn't even know about Carol Channing, but if you couldn't tell Maya Rudolph is half black you need eyeglasses.

I'm averaging this right now. Using milk for the meal mixes and to take my meds. Went to the store and bought 4 gallons of milk the other day, one of them is gone already.

Man, I was gonna try that, but I'm lactose intolerant.
I'm just gonna see if I can down 2 dozen a day.

Trey

Man, I was gonna try that, but I'm lactose intolerant.
I'm just gonna see if I can down 2 dozen a day.

Eat more. Snack more often. Don't wait till you're hungry, get on a schedule.

Harder than it sounds, of course, but doable for even the hardest of gainers.

DominoKid

In the White Room With Black Writers: Hollywood's "Diversity Hires"

"Men At Work is hiring, and they need a diversity staff writer."

This was a line my agent said to me by way of greeting, earlier this summer. Not a staff writer. A diverse staff writer. My skin color, not my ability to convince Breckin Meyer and the nice people over at TBS that I can pound out 32 pages of jokes, would have been the key factor in getting me that coveted first staff writing job.

There's this thing in Hollywood, a "diversity staff writer." Most every writing room has one—an entry level, non-white staff writer, explicitly hired due to their race. (If you're really lucky, being gay or a woman might just suffice, in lieu of not being white.) The diverse staff writing position, colloquially referred to as a "diversity hire," isn't just a vague, subtle effort to break up the litany of white, male faces that make up a majority of the working writers in television. In corporate America, minorities often have to deal with vicious whispers amongst white co-workers about how they got where they are as a token hire—"They had to hire a black guy." Perversely, Hollywood's genuine attempt to remedy the overwhelming whiteness of the industry has instead led to a place where networks pat themselves on the back for hiring a token writer by institutionalizing those sotto voce complaints. We are called, on paper and to our faces, diversity hires.

Though the requirements vary from program to program, the basic principle is the same: We, the network, are going to make you, the executive producer, hire one lower-level staff writer who is diverse. To get you to comply, we'll provide the salary for said writer. Fair solution, right? In the Hollywood economy, all aspects of the cost of producing a television show—from writer and actor salaries to the actual shooting and editing of each episode—are paid for by the studio behind the show, not the network. While the network is actively involved creatively, its financial responsibility comes from licensing the show from the studio and distributing it. It will then tack on some extra cash earmarked solely for a diversity hire, so that the studio budget can instead go towards everything that's "integral" for the show to function. (This always includes a robust craft services budget—it's mandated by the Writer's Guild of America that the writers' room alone have catered lunch and snacks on hand every day.) Showrunners don't have to worry about wasting their studio budget on a token hire that may not be so great in the room, a young colored writer gets a shot at the dream, networks proudly get to proclaim their commitment to diversity, everyone wins! Except that it's not great. At all.

It's a specific position earmarked solely for an entry-level diverse writer, with funds allocated specifically for said hire by the network—funds that do not come out of the show's own budget. Diversity staff writing programs currently exist at almost every major broadcast network, and at some cable networks.

To understand why these diversity programs exist, it's crucial to understand that complaints about the domination of white males in the television business aren't just some generalized rant from minorities. Out of CBS' six new shows this season (The Millers, Mom, The Crazy Ones, We Are Men, Hostages and Intelligence), each one was created by a white male. Fox's new shows? Another six for six in terms of white male creators. ABC's seven new shows were all led by white male writers, though two comedies—Super Fun Night and Trophy Wife—boast female creators. NBC, with the most new programming this season, comes in with 12 new shows, all created by white males. Which means that now, even in 2013, not a single new show was created by a diverse writer. Sure, Shonda Rhimes has broken ground with Scandal, but a quick look around the television landscape shows that in the decade since Rhimes created her first ABC hit, Grey's Anatomy, her success still hasn't done much to change the status quo. And if diversity isn't a priority for network executives in how they develop their programming, it should come as no surprise that a similar lack of diversity has trickled down through writers' rooms, rendering them almost as colorless as their creators.

The differences in the programs show just how half-hearted some of these attempts at diversity are. A few networks have established highly selective, intense workshops for diverse writers, and only staff their diversity positions with graduates of that process. Others only establish a budget for a diverse hire, but anyone diverse, regardless of whether that network has a diversity workshop, can be considered for a writing job come staffing season. At Fox, a writer can qualify for the diversity staff writer stipend for multiple seasons, not just their first season, which on the surface seems to ensure job security. But salary minimums are mandated by the Writer's Guild of America, and are tiered based on level, with staff writer being the lowest. Which means that Fox can guarantee a person of color a job to return to in future seasons, but also cleverly hold a person down at the level of diverse staff writer, even though they may be far too qualified to remain there. If a showrunner wants to promote a writer out of the diversity hire slot, that writer's salary will be now be coming out of the show's budget, rather than a separate network stipend, and pulling funds away from other aspects of production. CBS doesn't have a diversity staff writer budget at all, though they do have a robust young writer's initiative, which is colorblind.

the whole thing's worth a read.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

The majority of advertising agencies work like this too. Unless its a minority owned shop that then usually have to compete for projects that have been earmarked for "minorities". On the flip read this

http://www.businessweek.com/article...nment-factory-produces-low-budget-tv-shows#p1

that shows how a black man is getting his right now by creating cheap content for Networks. Its basically the same thing. in the media you got to create your own if you want to be sucessful 9 times out of 10

DominoKid

The majority of advertising agencies work like this too. Unless its a minority owned shop that then usually have to compete for projects that have been earmarked for "minorities". On the flip read this

http://www.businessweek.com/article...nment-factory-produces-low-budget-tv-shows#p1

that shows how a black man is getting his right now by creating cheap content for Networks. Its basically the same thing. in the media you got to create your own if you want to be sucessful 9 times out of 10

man that shit is depressing. every time i check out the staff pages for the agencies i have applied to i die a little inside.

i have friends that work at 2 of the biggest agencies in my town and they are the only black people on the staff. however you get in the door i guess. i damn sure wouldn't complain if it was me.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
man that shit is depressing. every time i check out the staff pages for the agencies i have applied to i die a little inside.

i have friends that work at 2 of the biggest agencies in my town and they are the only black people on the staff. however you get in the door i guess. i damn sure wouldn't complain if it was me.

yep I literally remember being hired and the other black employee leaving a few days later because he had given his 2 weeks notice and vice versa with me preparing to leave and a new black employee showing up a few days before I left. Foul shit like that was why i got out of advertising and went into shipping. The money wasn't worth the stress in advertising plus the racist bullshit.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Beyond Two Souls only need one more good writer to make the shit pop. That and someone to make the devs realize what creativity could've done in the gameplay side...

It was really, really close to being a new standard. Its merely good. But oh well. Still having fun.

Beyond Two Souls only need one more good writer to make the shit pop. That and someone to make the devs realize what creativity could've done in the gameplay side...

It was really, really close to being a new standard. Its merely good. But oh well. Still having fun.

First person whose opinion I agree with that has had something positive to say about the game outside of people I know "offline". Anyone else dig it?

RedSwirl

This reminds me of a twitter conversation I had earlier today with a British guy after seeing him tweet his reaction to a description for that movie "Something New." If you don't know what it is, it's about a black chick dating a white guy. He balked at the description, and when I explained to him how shocked I usually am at the commonality of interracial relationships in British media, he was legit taken aback. Remember the reaction to that Cheerios commercial?

First person whose opinion I agree with that has had something positive to say about the game outside of people I know "offline". Anyone else dig it?

*sigh*

David Cage needs to realize that what he's making are basically adventure games/visual novels, just with a bigger budget. I still don't like his attempts to make shit more "interactive" if only because I don't think it really works within the confines of today's standard game controllers. In Heavy Rain a simple point n' click interface or something resembling an old Resident Evil interface would have been fine. I wish the guys at Telltale had Cage's budgets (and backend coding).

Gorillaz

Going to redbox next week to check 2 souls out then.

Yall scaring me with the advertising and marketing minority politics. Thought that would be a good fall back career

DY_nasty

Just beat it. Its absolutely worth a redbox. Its like... the perfect redbox rental imo.

The soundtrack could've been a little better, some of the chapters are either too long or too meh, the 'riding' segments are a bit dry

But I really, really enjoyed the game and I'm glad I played it. Somewhere, between Remember Me, Heavy Rain, and Beyond Two Souls is a perfect blend that's going to make brains melt. The end of BTS is probably the best part of the game. It just hurts me deep down that they don't have more puzzles in this type of game. Even simple ones - this is as point and click as it gets. The fights are sloppy, no point debating that, but its still fluid and not restart heavy at all. The game just has a great flow to it and you're consistently involved though. Game always has your attention in some shape or form. The tense moments are exactly that but damn the game could've used that tempo throughout.

Really enjoyed this game though and I recommend it to everyone.

Slayven

Just beat it. Its absolutely worth a redbox. Its like... the perfect redbox rental imo.

The soundtrack could've been a little better, some of the chapters are either too long or too meh, the 'riding' segments are a bit dry

But I really, really enjoyed the game and I'm glad I played it. Somewhere, between Remember Me, Heavy Rain, and Beyond Two Souls is a perfect blend that's going to make brains melt. The end of BTS is probably the best part of the game. It just hurts me deep down that they don't have more puzzles in this type of game. Even simple ones - this is as point and click as it gets. The fights are sloppy, no point debating that, but its still fluid and not restart heavy at all. The game just has a great flow to it and you're consistently involved though. Game always has your attention in some shape or form. The tense moments are exactly that but damn the game could've used that tempo throughout.

Did she get Jamal?

Onemic

Gaf acts likes it's the worst game ever made in the history of gaming.

DY_nasty

David Cage's writing is on the level of SyFy movie of the week and if you have to part money for it, do it through Redbox only

The game isn't long enough, nor does it have the replayability to be warranted as a 60 dollar game imo. If I can't put 30+ hours into a game, its not worth 60 bucks in 2013.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Damn the Walking Dead Season 2 ep1 is TOUGH on black women lol.

Yeaa... Season 1 wasn't like this. lol. That opening made me roll my eyes super hard.

Spoilers!!!

I want to throw that pregnant chick under the bus. Clem doesn't need to tolerate her Tyler Perry fuckery.

Clem is bawse status. Smh @ everyone being all, "what am I supposed to do as a helpless girl," before this dropped. Crow for the lot of them. She's a fucking goon.

I waited til the whole Walking Dead season 1 was out before I went in, think I'm gonna do the same for this one. Only thing I've seen of it is a screenshot of Clem mean mugging with some blood in her face, lookin' like its hard out in the streets.

Onemic

The game isn't long enough, nor does it have the replayability to be warranted as a 60 dollar game imo. If I can't put 30+ hours into a game, its not worth 60 bucks in 2013.

Yup, it's why even though I liked Bioshock Infinite, it wasn't nearly worth the 60 bucks I spent on it.

Fuck all y'all that played Walking Dead season 1 without steam deleting your save halfway in. I'm still salty about that and I'm probably never gonna finish it now.

Slayven

I waited til the whole Walking Dead season 1 was out before I went in, think I'm gonna do the same for this one. Only thing I've seen of it is a screenshot of Clem mean mugging with some blood in her face, lookin' like its hard out in the streets.

Black dude is the star, starts game off in handcuffs in the back of a cop car.

DY_nasty

Like self aware Sharknado SyFy or like it's a studio's first time learning how to use CG bad

Its nowhere near that bad...

If you've ever seen Taken, the mini-series from way back, its about the same quality is that throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom