• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I was clear on my prior post. Dy is the only person so far who has said something positive of the game. All my my boys offline have said horrible things. Personally I want to play it but I don't want to waste time if its shit. So should I try it?

I don't think I was clear on my prior post. Dy is the only person so far who has said something positive of the game. All my my boys offline have said horrible things. Personally I want to play it but I don't want to waste time if its shit. So should I try it?

Go get it and enjoy the ride. It's fun, great graphics, and a lot of moments to play out. I'm happy that 3 people are writing the next project, because there's a home run gem in there.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Wow... GAF really did shit on the game.

Just shows that you gotta try shit for yourself. People still think Far Cry 3 is a great game just off of how much 14 yr olds love it.

Far Cry 3 is like 30 minutes of moderately interesting gameplay stretched out to 20 hours. UbiSoft Open-World Game Design 101 shit right there, sorry Esco. Quantity > quality content tourism.

DY_nasty

One game I thought would be bad until I played it is Metal Gear Rising. That game is fucking great.

Why on Earth did you think it'd be bad? Even Anarchy Reigns was amazing and Platinum made it without fucks from start to finish.
Beyond doesn't look video gamey enough for me.

Its not very video-gamey at all.
A lot of people just really dislike David Cage's writing.

I'm not even sure what people consider a good story anymore either. Just in general.

Go get it and enjoy the ride. It's fun, great graphics, and a lot of moments to play out. I'm happy that 3 people are writing the next project, because there's a home run gem in there.

If I see it, Ill snatch it up and give it a shot.

Anarchy Reigns was good. Old school beat em up flare that I love.
Havent tried MGR. For some reason it didnt click for me to go out and get it. My boy loved it and raved about it. Its one of those if I see it Ill pick it up. Personally I loved FarCry 3. It was repetitive as fuck but I enjoyed it to no end. I wanted to love FarCry 2 but that FOV killed me on consoles.

You should. It's flawed, but I still loved it. Just enjoy the ride.

Wow... GAF really did shit on the game.
Depends where you look I guess. The OT is 80% positive on the game I would say and it appears in some GOTY lists. But David Cage attracts a lot of hate that's for sure and every thread that wears his name turns to shit in minutes. Most people who like his games chose to hide instead and it's probably better this way. So outside of official threads you will see a lot of hate and kinda get the impression it is the entirety of GAF, when that's not really the case.

DY_nasty

I can't find anything to like in Far Cry 3. That game is repetitive, unimaginative, meh-immersed, weak-sauce from top to bottom. Multiplayer was straight up bad, the collectibles weren't even worth stopping on, the AI is some of the worst of the year, it looks terrible on consoles, the controls were weak, the gunplay belonged on the Wii motion control layout, the stupid acid-trips... don't get me started, the characters were damn near offensive, the crafting was so incredibly poorly thought out and implented that other developers thought it was a bad idea 5 years ago, traveling isn't even rewarding, the jungle is comically lifeless considering all the effort put into the animals...

I haven't hated a AAA game this much since Fable 3.
Melanie Rios is worth a fap.

Just encase you guys needed some new material.

Retired 3 years ago breh

RedSwirl

I can't find anything to like in Far Cry 3. That game is repetitive, unimaginative, meh-immersed, weak-sauce from top to bottom. Multiplayer was straight up bad, the collectibles weren't even worth stopping on, the AI is some of the worst of the year, it looks terrible on consoles, the controls were weak, the gunplay belonged on the Wii motion control layout, the stupid acid-trips... don't get me started, the characters were damn near offensive, the crafting was so incredibly poorly thought out and implented that other developers thought it was a bad idea 5 years ago, traveling isn't even rewarding, the jungle is comically lifeless considering all the effort put into the animals...

I haven't hated a AAA game this much since Fable 3.

Retired 3 years ago breh

This sounds like exactly how I feel about Tomb Raider 2013.

I recognize all the typical AAA game bullshit in Far Cry 3, but still enjoy the game a lot because nobody does any kind of sandbox game design in first person action games anymore. In the last couple years all we got was Dishonored and Far Cry 3. Far Cry 2 was a flawed gem that took a massive step in the right direction for the genre. Playing through Crysis 1 again right now just makes me sad no one else has really reached this stage of level design since. It's all badly-done linear set piece bullshit now. I like Far Cry 3 because, when it comes to first person games that let me explore and figure out how to tackle problems for myself, I'll take what I can get at this point.

I don't have extremely high hopes for new THIEF.

I remember people shitting on Metal Gear Rising simply because there was no stealth. Some people even wanted the watermelon-cutting simulator instead. Fucking people didn't even bother playing one of the best games of the year.

This sounds like exactly how I feel about Tomb Raider 2013.

I recognize all the typical AAA game bullshit in Far Cry 3, but still enjoy the game a lot because nobody does any kind of sandbox game design in first person action games anymore. In the last couple years all we got was Dishonored and Far Cry 3. Far Cry 2 was a flawed gem that took a massive step in the right direction for the genre. Playing through Crysis 1 again right now just makes me sad no one else has really reached this stage of level design since. It's all badly-done linear set piece bullshit now. I like Far Cry 3 because, when it comes to first person games that let me explore and figure out how to tackle problems for myself, I'll take what I can get at this point.

I don't have extremely high hopes for new THIEF.

I agree with you. Especially about Far Cry 2 being flawed. That FOV is the only thing stopping me from total enjoyment. Far Cry 3 was what I wanted in an open world FPS. When I took a base without alerting a guard that shit felt so damn good. We can all agree it was repetitive, but overall an enjoyable experience.

Now Dishonored on the other hand I couldnt do. I just didnt like it and got bored to tears with the "Thief" light gameplay. TBH I couldnt care less for the new Thief.

So since I got your attention, Metro Last Light? Whats the BCT collective opinion. Its been on a couple of GOTY list, and I loved the aesthetic of Metro 2033 so it piqued my interest. All ive heard is that its linear as all get out. What say you fam?

on the low that was one of the scariest movies out there and I'm surprised they didn't try to make some sort of sequel.

I loved the whole idea behind it. Space travel, gateways, time and space and other dimensions and shit. I eat that shit up. Personally dont want a sequel. Shit was solidly cerebral. I think if they made another one they would end up trying to give a "form" to make it some creature shit. I love that its the goddamn ship.
I could never do horror games.

STALKER had me terrified.

Last time I was scared by a game was that part in Dead Space where you were walking out in atmo and the only sound you hear is Issac breathing. You think its just you and space, then all of a sudden you get a glimpse of something but you dont think anything of it. Then BAM you getting hit by a creature outside with you. Im playing this shit with headphones on in surround sound. I fucking paused the game.

Trey

My gaming Ls of the year were buying Injustice and Tomb Raider full price. The hype got to me. I put a solid hour into Injustice, realized I don't have nearly enough time to dedicate to getting good at it, and haven't touched it since. I actually enjoyed Tomb Raider, but I have no compulsion to ever play it again. Almost all of its value is in its presentation, so its longevity isn't worthy of 50 dollars.

Carne asada burritos tonight mmm mmm

Really.....
Oorhl9t.jpg

Thats what I made this evening LOL

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yeah I gotta agree with oldschool. Felt it was reaching for much more. Such a great film though, and definitely in my top 3 best mindfucks of all time.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'm liking FFXIV so far. Nice and not-too-difficult progression. Not a whole lot of traveling one has to do to complete quests, which I like -- that was something that plagued WoW for me. Where you accept the quest, where you do the quest, and where you turn in the quest were like 5000 miles away. I also don't feel like I'm grinding in FFXIV.

Speaking of WoW, I do feel that the game had more "it" factor to it back in the day. Something about the art style and the world where it felt alive. FFXIV's world is kinda sterile, something the franchise never used to be back in its prime.

ReiGun

Speaking of WoW, I do feel that the game had more "it" factor to it back in the day. Something about the art style and the world where it felt alive. FFXIV's world is kinda sterile, something the franchise never used to be back in its prime.

I feel like this is true of a lot of MMO's: so many of them struggle to have any real sense of style or create the feeling of a living world. It's one of the things that really turns me off the genre. Even DCUO, which is obviously right up my alley lore-wise, fell short because you spend 90% of your time in either Gotham (where it's always night), Metropolis (where it's always day), or the Watchtower/Legion of Doom HQ.

DY_nasty

I'm liking FFXIV so far. Nice and not-too-difficult progression. Not a whole lot of traveling one has to do to complete quests, which I like -- that was something that plagued WoW for me. Where you accept the quest, where you do the quest, and where you turn in the quest were like 5000 miles away. I also don't feel like I'm grinding in FFXIV.

Where'd you start out? Because I definitely agree about the Lublahblah city/area being dull in comparison 95% of the rest of the world.

harSon

Banned
Event Horizon and parts of Soldier and the original Resident Evil are the only genuinely good things Paul WS Anderson has put to film.

I haven't seen it in years, but Mortal Kombat used to be my shit. I know it's legitimately crap, but I love it anyways.

I thought Resident Evil: Retribution was the best Resident Evil movie since the first (that's not saying much). It's legitimately terrible, but it nears being one of those movies that are so godawful that it's worth watching the train wreck. Not a bad movie to watch and talk shit about with some friends over some drinks.

There are good movies, and bad movies. But folks seem to forget there bad movies that are good.

But some movies are just beyond redemption. Me and my friend were dying watching the Uwe Boll In the Name of the King trailer. When it came out on DVD we tried watching it, couldn't last 15 min.

Slayven

But some movies are just beyond redemption. Me and my friend were dying watching the Uwe Boll In the Name of the King trailer. When it came out on DVD we tried watching it, couldn't last 15 min.

That shit with Jason Statham? yeah a bad movie. It made no sense.

I miss Joe Bob Briggs.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I feel like this is true of a lot of MMO's: so many of them struggle to have any real sense of style or create the feeling of a living world. It's one of the things that really turns me off the genre. Even DCUO, which is obviously right up my alley lore-wise, fell short because you spend 90% of your time in either Gotham (where it's always night), Metropolis (where it's always day), or the Watchtower/Legion of Doom HQ.

I feel like most RPGs lately suffer from this. Especially wRPGs. It's why I couldn't stand ESIV. Run run run run, kill kill kill, run back run back run back, repeat.

Where'd you start out? Because I definitely agree about the Lublahblah city/area being dull in comparison 95% of the rest of the world.

Thanalan, which isn't bad, but everything feels the same color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom