• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

Ice storem blew out the power to pretty much the entire city. I'm gonna be out of power for up to 72 hours. Hold me fam

akira28

even Maulana Karenga himself doesn't celebrate kwanzaa, but I'm guessing in 100 years that won't even matter. Somebody will be.

Imm0rt4l

What y'all got planned for Christmas and do any of y'all negroes actually celebrate Kwanza?

Nobody celebrates Kwanzaa

I got nothing planned, though I'll probably go see The Wolf of Wall street with a friend. I haven't been big on Christmas in a while. It once was my favorite Holiday, but as I've gotten older I find myself enjoying Halloween and New Years Eve way more.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I feel like I need a new laptop already...

I got this one exactly one year ago. :|

I feel like I need a new laptop already...

I got this one exactly one year ago. :|

Me too, my screen cracked on Thanksgiving (just got it in August) and now the thing is completely fucked up. I have no way to replace. This next semester will be hard without it especially since I'm taking 6 three credit hour courses.

Imm0rt4l said:
enjoying Halloween and New Years Eve way more.

I'm guessing it's partying and the alcohol for those two right?

Was all that marketing for it worth it? It got obnoxious at one point

I liked it, but some parts of the story felt like they weren't needed.

Had my laptop for 3+ years and it's still feels good. I only use it sparingly though. The only downside is the battery is all almost dead now.

Nakazato

Saw american hustle today...

Dat Jennifer Laurence.

Enjoyed to movie tho the pacing is all over the place and if you go into thinking its a hard hitting drama you will be disappointed. Its it a black comedy (with out being dark)/ Drama-dy

FyreWulff

I liked it, but some parts of the story felt like they weren't needed.

Had my laptop for 3+ years and it's still feels good. I only use it sparingly though. The only downside is the battery is all almost dead now.

I just got a new laptop and already had to have the battery replaced under warranty. Everything works great now though.

Fucking batteries need a breakthrough in their tech. Won't matter if processors get better if batteries are still relatively butts

Spinluck

So I'm watching this Christmas movie on BET with Morris Chestnut, Gabrielle Union, Charlie Murphy, Kat Williams, and Queen Latifah and it is laughably bad. Holy shit.

Well, on second thought Charlie Murphy is kinda funny in it.

Do any of you have exp with emulators I loaded up my Advance Wars the other day and my sav files no loner work says unsupported file type. Do I have to start back from the beginning?

Wynnebeck

Banned
So, I'm in the same boat as Devo with family. My grandfather is currently in the hospital suffering from terminal cancer of the throat and the doctor said that his heart is so weak, that if they were to put him under to do a biopsy, he wouldn't wake up. So all of my family is going down to North Carolina on Christmas Eve to say their final goodbyes as he has made his peace and knows he's going to pass soon. I'm sort in a mixed way about it because while I wasn't particularly close to him, I have fond memories of visiting his place as a kid.

My grandmother passed away back in 2010 and what made it painful was that I was stationed in Korea at the time (Air Force) and my grandmother told the family to to not notify me that she was sick and about to die until after the actual death because "she didn't want me to lose focus with work because of her." I found out on a Saturday morning playing Call of Duty when my little brother sent me a PM on PSN that she had passed and I needed to get in contact with the family. My current girlfriend came to my dorm room and let me use her phone to call my mother who gave me the news. My girlfriend literally held me on the floor like a baby while I cried deeper than anything I had experienced until that point. I now knew what it meant to not have a chance to tell someone you loved goodbye until it was too late.

At the funeral, I was a hot mess. I had been up for 3 days straight flying from Korea to Atlanta to North Carolina and to make matters worse, my grandmother specifically requested I be one of the pallbearers. It's making me teary eyed as I even type this, but let me tell you that carrying that casket with my 7 other brothers to the hearse was one of the most heartbreaking experiences I ever had to go through. My oldest brothers who are both twins, had to coach us to "not drop grandma's casket and be the wall for the rest of the family". Finally after she was buried, I went to my mother's car and slept after being awake for almost 80 hours. After that, I fell into a deep depression that until just last year, I was able to finally break free from. So coming into this last trip to see my grandfather is my way of paying penance to my grandmother for not seeing her and I'm praying that God gives me the strength to make it through this trip and the impending funeral with a stronger frame of mind and heart to see my granddaddy off to his final resting place.

Anyhow, I've had that welling inside of me for a long time and if you read the whole thing, I appreciate the time you took to do so. Thanks BlackGAF. Love you guys.

So, I'm in the same boat as Devo with family. My grandfather is currently in the hospital suffering from terminal cancer of the throat and the doctor said that his heart is so weak, that if they were to put him under to do a biopsy, he wouldn't wake up. So all of my family is going down to North Carolina on Christmas Eve to say their final goodbyes as he has made his peace and knows he's going to pass soon. I'm sort in a mixed way about it because while I wasn't particularly close to him, I have fond memories of visiting his place as a kid.

My grandmother passed away back in 2010 and what made it painful was that I was stationed in Korea at the time (Air Force) and my grandmother told the family to to not notify me that she was sick and about to die until after the actual death because "she didn't want me to lose focus with work because of her." I found out on a Saturday morning playing Call of Duty when my little brother sent me a PM on PSN that she had passed and I needed to get in contact with the family. My current girlfriend came to my dorm room and let me use her phone to call my mother who gave me the news. My girlfriend literally held me on the floor like a baby while I cried deeper than anything I had experienced until that point. I now knew what it meant to not have a chance to tell someone you loved goodbye until it was too late.

At the funeral, I was a hot mess. I had been up for 3 days straight flying from Korea to Atlanta to North Carolina and to make matters worse, my grandmother specifically requested I be one of the pallbearers. It's making me teary eyed as I even type this, but let me tell you that carrying that casket with my 7 other brothers to the hearse was one of the most heartbreaking experiences I ever had to go through. My oldest brothers who are both twins, had to coach us to "not drop grandma's casket and be the wall for the rest of the family". Finally after she was buried, I went to my mother's car and slept after being awake for almost 80 hours. After that, I fell into a deep depression that until just last year, I was able to finally break free from. So coming into this last trip to see my grandfather is my way of paying penance to my grandmother for not seeing her and I'm praying that God gives me the strength to make it through this trip and the impending funeral with a stronger frame of mind and heart to see my granddaddy off to his final resting place.

Anyhow, I've had that welling inside of me for a long time and if you read the whole thing, I appreciate the time you took to do so. Thanks BlackGAF. Love you guys.

I am glad that you shared this. You will be strong my brother. Just being able to talk about this in depth as you did shows you have the strength in you. Your Grandmother would be proud of you.

cdyhybrid

It once was my favorite Holiday, but as I've gotten older I find myself enjoying Halloween and New Years Eve way more.

I'm in the same boat, man.

Damn, my thoughts are with you. Stay strong.

That's gonna be tough. You have my support man. My parents basically took care of my grandma till her death bed. But I fucked up and didn't talk to her enough when she was lucid. I really regret not getting more info out of her about everything from the past.

So, I'm in the same boat as Devo with family. .
Sorry to hear that bra, hang in there.

On a happier holiday note, ya'll negroes need to get up on THIS shit:

svFS4Q6l.jpg

Best holiday drink by far, I can't even go back to eggnog.

Slayven

Stay strong

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

My thoughts are with you as well. Stay strong brother.

Been a shitty month for us all, it seems

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

My condolences

In my 28 years I have never heard or seen anyone celebrating Kwanzaa.

Pretty sure Kwanzaa's heyday was late 70s, maybe early 80s, so if you're 28 you probably wouldn't have run into anyone celebrating it. It's been a punchline for decades.

my parents used to, and might still have all the stuff. Cups, Mat, Candles, Black Menorah...

I like how all black people suppose to know about Kwanzaa.

nobody does! Everything i remember about Kwanzaa I learned from Futurama, and I'm pretty sure they made most of that up. I don't remember the robot part at ALL.

While we're on the subject, someone more talented with photoshop than me should make a "Kwanzaa-fy your avatar" thread.

it would be a hit, and you know it.

Slayven

nobody does! Everything i remember about Kwanzaa I learned from Futurama, and I'm pretty sure they made most of that up. I don't remember the robot part at ALL.

While we're on the subject, someone more talented with photoshop than me should make a "Kwanzaa-fy your avatar" thread.

We tried to do it once in school, no one was about that life.

I like how all black people suppose to know about Kwanzaa.

I feel bad that my teachers had to explain this fraudulent ass holiday in class.

It as done last year, and about 90% treated it as a joke. Its a horrible holiday but I dont want to see it openly mocked either.

I feel bad that my teachers had to explain this fraudulent ass holiday in class.

It as done last year, and about 90% treated it as a joke. Its a horrible holiday but I dont want to see it openly mocked either.

LOL. I think it's amusing and more than a bit of a relic, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it "fraudulent" or "horrible."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom