• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Django Unchained was only improved by the pair of talkative African American strangers in my theater, but every other time its just...pls stahp

and why is it always black people? Are we genetically built to be loud and rude in the cinema? Is it the same gene that makes up give sub-10% tips at restaurant?

why does this happen BCT-GAF

Django Unchained was only improved by the pair of talkative African American strangers in my theater, but every other time its just...pls stahp

and why is it always black people? Are we genetically built to be loud and rude in the cinema? Is it the same gene that makes up give sub-10% tips at restaurant?

Probably the same reason black churches are loud as fuck (and three hours long!).

My wife almost went into shock the first (and only!) time i took her to my mother's church.

Ha, I had the exact opposite happen to me, as in my mom going to my then-GF's church that's mostly white people. She looked legit shook when it was over so soon.

Slayven

White people go to church like they have shit to do the rest of the day, black people go to church like that is ALL they have to do that day.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

LOL

Thug ass thug genes. Metal Gear shit.

I dunno. It's silly as fuck though. Going to the cinema isn't as cheap as it once was. I ain't trying to hear the commentary.

Imm0rt4l

This show the shield is something else. While I immediately wanted to compare it to the wire, they're pretty different. The shield is clearly more for entertainment. The wire is more nuanced and realistic with a stronger cast. It takes a more objective and realistic view of the system whereas the shield tries to make the viewers sympathize with dirty cops in part by making all the low level, hell every thug very 1 dimensional. That's probably necessary since the shield is a much faster paced character driven story while the wire doesn't even have a main character.

Never happens with me. I think I'd be inclined to tell someone to shut the fuck up. I may go watch the wolf of wall street today.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
This show the shield is something else. While I immediately wanted to compare it to the wire, they're pretty different. The shield is clearly more for entertainment. The wire is more nuanced and realistic with a stronger cast. It takes a more objective and realistic view of the system whereas the shield tries to make the viewers sympathize with dirty cops in part by making all the low level, hell every thug very 1 dimensional. That's probably necessary since the shield is a much faster paced character driven story while the wire doesn't even have a main character. \

If you walk away after seeing all of The Shield and liking anyone on the Strike Team (outside of Lem), then you need a brain scan to make sure you're not a serial killer.

Imm0rt4l

If you walk away after seeing all of The Shield and liking anyone on the Strike Team (outside of Lem), then you need a brain scan to make sure you're not a serial killer.
About to start season 5 and I agree, Lem's my guy. He's good peoples. Horrible company in Shane and Vick.
S4 finale
So I was upset at s4 finale with the CI fingering Lem for being dirty when he was very reluctantly helping Shane because Vic didn't want to cut bait sooner with Shane.

reilo

That moment when you're working on a project and there's that one dude who thinks he's better than everyone but his work is amateur hour yet he keeps trying to sabotage others on the project and talking shit to the superiors behind your back...

High road, I'm told. High fucking road. I hope I don't end up looking for a highway to hell.

That moment when you're working on a project and there's that one dude who thinks he's better than everyone but his work is amateur hour yet he keeps trying to sabotage others on the project and talking shit to the superiors behind your back...

Every group has that self-proclaimed leader who's really hot garbage and secretly nobody likes them

"TheKaeptain", I always call em

reilo

Every group has that self-proclaimed leader who's really hot garbage and secretly nobody likes them

There's no reason for this, literally none. It's just an up-and-comer trying to prove he's worth his salt by wanting to do it all, instead of working in a team environment and learning from the more experienced in the group (me!). I could do this entire project from design to back-end to front-end all by myself in my sleep, but I didn't scoff at the notion that someone else designed it and someone else as doing the back-end. It's a job. It's not necessary to try and throw people under the buss.

"TheKaeptain", I always call em

I have a rule to never trust a dude whose avatar doesn't meet the golden ratio.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
not very religious but man I love white church. They even feed you after service.

Kreed

How often do you NOT see loud black people in popular entertainment?

On the opposite end of the spectrum, while I have been visiting family in South Carolina for the holidays, I found out Disney has a cartoon show with a black female doctor and now my little 6 and under female nieces/cousins are running around with pretend doctor kits and lab coats they got for Christmas. And people wonder why black people need more positive role models on TV.

High road, I'm told. High fucking road. I hope I don't end up looking for a highway to hell.

Nope, burn him. Zero tolerance for shit like that.

Will see the The Wolf of Wall Street or The Hobbit today.

his show the shield is something else. While I immediately wanted to compare it to the wire, they're pretty different. The shield is clearly more for entertainment. The wire is more nuanced and realistic with a stronger cast. It takes a more objective and realistic view of the system whereas the shield tries to make the viewers sympathize with dirty cops in part by making all the low level, hell every thug very 1 dimensional. That's probably necessary since the shield is a much faster paced character driven story while the wire doesn't even have a main character.

S5 is the beginning of the end. Kavenaugh vs Vic is brutal.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Remember we had that discussion about how some people in here felt Naughty Dog fans weren't that bad?

I want all of you who said that to go look at any of the GOTY list threads where Last of Us isn't 1 or 2 and tell me if you still feel that way.

reilo

Nope, burn him. Zero tolerance for shit like that.

Will see the The Wolf of Wall Street or The Hobbit today.

I can't. He's employed by the client. I'm just freelancing through an agency that has picked up the project.

If this guy was part of my team? He'd be put in the corner and made to kneel on corn seeds for the next 8 hours.

You don't trust yourself?

Yes, I CHECKED.

Not the photographic golden ratio, the age one!

Imm0rt4l

Remember we had that discussion about how some people in here felt Naughty Dog fans weren't that bad?

I want all of you who said that to go look at any of the GOTY list threads where Last of Us isn't 1 or 2 and tell me if you still feel that way.
You must be new to GOTY threads

I was here last year and the year before. It was never ful of 'omg where's portal 2'

Then you CLEARLY missed Your Excellency's performance in the 2011 GotY thread

that guy would PM people and ask them why they didn't vote for Portal 2, and then made threads about other games are retroactively bad after playing Portal 2

lordmrw

I never got the appeal of Twitch/Youtube watching people play games. But after watching this twitch stream I kinda understand how some people's commentary on the games they're playing can keep people coming back. I've been cracking up watching Spockmolester play various MMOs.

I've been meaning to do a few lets play videos as supplements to my written content on my website but its all a matter of finding the time. It's a cool idea and I'm far enough ahead in terms of reviews written that I can afford to slack off doing it.

reilo

Then you CLEARLY missed Your Excellency's performance in the 2011 GotY thread

that guy would PM people and ask them why they didn't vote for Portal 2, and then made threads about other games are retroactively bad after playing Portal 2

Some people just need to get laid.

Imm0rt4l

I was here last year and the year before. It was never ful of 'omg where's portal 2'
Yea it was actually. Also pc game. I think you may have an axe to grind, but for what its worth tlou is my goty. The last goty thread I saw was that hipster one that was different for the sake of being different.

I dont think a vocal fanbase of a critically acclaimed title saying they believe their fav game got snubbed for an award is necessarily indicative of anything. The wire never won an emmy.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yea it was actually. Also pc game. I think you may have an axe to grind, but for what its worth tlou is my goty. The last goty thread I saw was that hipster one that was different for the sake of being different.

I dont think a vocal fanbase saying they believe their fav game got snubbed for an award is necessarily indicative of anything. The wire never won an emmy.

And I think you're giving them too much of a free pass. I mean, the Uncharted 3 review thread is notorious for a reason.

It happens. I think whats more important is how fans perceive the game after the fact.

After all the hype, UC3 didn't even crack the top 5 of GAF's 2011 GotY. Its kinda like Bioshock Infinite in that regard. I wasn't a big fan of it after UC2, and especially in light of TLOU.

Imm0rt4l

After all the hype, UC3 didn't even crack the top 5 of GAF's 2011 GotY. Its kinda like Bioshock Infinite in that regard. I wasn't a big fan of it after UC2, and especially in light of TLOU.
Yea, was thinking the same thing. Its still crazy seeing how much love infinite was getting on release and how its leading in letdown of the year along with sim city .

If I'm right that 8.8 had dudes writing sucide comments and death threats.
Yep

harSon

Banned
Yea, was thinking the same thing. Its still crazy seeing how much love infinite was getting on release and how its leading in letdown of the year along with sim city.

That's because a lot of people here are bipolar as fuck. I've lost count of the times a game has shifted from AMAZING to HORSE SHIT in what seems like a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom