• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a one console guy its really not that hard to ignore what happens on other platforms, then u get these fools crying over bayonetta 2 :/

I'm having trouble making sense of what is happening to Nintendo.

I can't see how? it's pretty damn obvious what's happening to Nintendo. It's the same thing that's been happening to their core audience since the SNES, without the flood of casuals than ran and bought the wii to pad the numbers out and disguise the bleeding.

BHZ Mayor

I can't see how? it's pretty damn obvious what's happening to Nintendo. It's the same thing that's been happening to their core audience since the SNES, without the flood of casuals than ran and bought the wii to pad the numbers out and disguise the bleeding.

Actually this is the first console that's actually not making them money. Even the N64 and Gamecube turned a profit. That's why I said they can handle it, and why I'm wondering what they can do besides just cut their losses.

FyreWulff

Their worst case scenario is they just try again in the usual 5 years (well, 4 years for them now)

Trying to rush out new hardware next year would do more damage than good. And they'll start from zero install base, instead of the one they actually DO have right now.

It's anybody's game on a generation turnover. And no, we're not having another 8 year+ gen. Book everyone's next stuff coming out no later than 2018, with 2017 being a possibility.

Actually this is the first console that's actually not making them money. Even the N64 and Gamecube turned a profit. That's why I said they can handle it, and why I'm wondering what they can do besides just cut their losses.

Gamecube is debatable. There are quotes out there stating that it either wasn't profitable, or was barely profitable, and this was disguised quite a bit by nintendo's handhelds selling like wildfire.

but that's neither here nor there.

Since the NES, every single console they've launched has lost audience in raw numbers and marketshare.

The SNES was basically 50/50 with the Genesis while both were on the market.
The N64 got hammered by a 3:1 margin by the PS1.
The GC was basically a rounding error versus the PS2.

and each of these sold less consoles total than the other.

The Wii sold phenomenal numbers...to people who didn't actually have an interest in playing videogames. What we can see now is that even the core audience who bought into the gamecube fled the wii, and the followup console (that would be the WiiU) is doing not only sub gamecube numbers, but sub dreamcast, sub saturn, and possibly sub master system because nintendo cannot stop losing gamers. it's tracking about as well as the TurboGrafx-16. (edit: originally had the atari 7800, but that was definitely a lowball)

This is the natural consequence of Nintendo saying "fuck market trends and fuck third parties, we'll do what we want" generation after generation. There's only so many times you can get away with that before you find you and your product have a toxic reputation.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It's anybody's game on a generation turnover. And no, we're not having another 8 year+ gen. Book everyone's next stuff coming out no later than 2018, with 2017 being a possibility.
How do you know this? I'm not trying to call you out, I'm genuinely curious. What actually caused last gen to last for so long, and how do we know conditions will not be similar in the next 3 years? I've heard a lot of talk about an industry crash but have yet to see any solid data on such a thing actually happening.

Trey

Their worst case scenario is they just try again in the usual 5 years (well, 4 years for them now)

Trying to rush out new hardware next year would do more damage than good. And they'll start from zero install base, instead of the one they actually DO have right now.

Expand the virtual console. Make an official nintendo app that's basically an official emulator as well as a store front. That should be their short term goal. That and bolstering online infrastructure.

Wii was a fad. It was just a highly lucrative one. Nintendo didn't realize that.

Of course they did- they abandoned the motion control game to Microsoft and the Kinect for this reason. They just learned the wrong lesson from it.

Instead of "use your good fortune to shore up your fundamentals and compete for the core" the lesson learned was "chase the next fad with a tablet controller."

FyreWulff

How do you know this? I'm not trying to call you out, I'm genuinely curious. What actually caused last gen to last for so long, and how do we know conditions will not be similar in the next 3 years? I've heard a lot of talk about an industry crash but have yet to see any solid data on such a thing actually happening.

The Long Ass Generation happened for multiple reasons. Price stability. Developers maturing their internal processes and technology to finally make use of multicore. Microsoft and Sony's desire to squeeze as money money out of the 360 and PS3. Developers will master the current generation a lot faster than the previous one.

I'd like to go more in depth but I'm tired as hell

The Long Ass Generation happened for multiple reasons. Price stability. Developers maturing their internal processes and technology to finally make use of multicore. Microsoft and Sony's desire to squeeze as money money out of the 360 and PS3. Developers will master the current generation a lot faster than the previous one.

I'd like to go more in depth but I'm tired as hell

Good points. Keep in mind also that the PS3 was an expensive as hell machine that did not cost reduce well. it's still around $200 and it's been 7 years. That's a long time to hit mass market pricing and profitability. The 360 is obviously cheaper, but that RROD fiasco was VERY, VERY expensive for MS. All things considered they were probably on even footing after that.

Sony is on record as stating the PS4 is designed to cost reduce much more quickly than the PS3 (the most expensive component is all that fancy RAM which will drop like a rock soon, I'm sure) and the Xbone if not quite as cheap (thanks to kinect) is designed to be more profitable per unit.

Of course they did- they abandoned the motion control game to Microsoft and the Kinect for this reason. They just learned the wrong lesson from it.

Instead of "use your good fortune to shore up your fundamentals and compete for the core" the lesson learned was "chase the next fad with a tablet controller."

How could they compete for the core off the backs of declining 3rd party support and laggard in-house HD development capability?

I would also argue the didn't realize the fad nature of the wii, because they titled the successor the"wii U" expecting some legacy crossover. That loyalty wasn't there because they didn't build a powerful brand. What they got left with were confused consumers who didn't know there was an upgrade, and judging by the fidelity of the games.. arguably, why would they.

Manmademan, your Volvo is goddamn gorgeous

ISNT IT????

I love it. it's fucking amazing. I would like to wash it to put some real pics of it up, but it's 10 degrees here. maybe later this week.

How could they compete for the core off the backs of declining 3rd party support and laggard in-house HD development capability?

Well, I might argue that part of competing for the core would be to start buying studios and IP with that gigantic mountain of cash nintendo was hoarding at the time, as well as put people to work getting used to developing HD content.

Inexplicably, neither one happened despite the fact that there were SHITLOADS of IP available with THQ and others going tits up and begging to be bought out, and nintendo not really releasing much of substance
on console from 2011 until the WiiU released.

There's also the matter of using some of that capital to build a more capable system that third parties actually want to develop titles for and core gamers would consider a significant upgrade over the 160 million PS360s out there. inexplicably, nintendo didn't do this either, instead going for the proven strategy trailblazed by blackberry- build something as cheaply as possible, rely on your legacy brand recognition and roll around on your hoarded cash.

I would also argue the didn't realize the fad nature of the wii, because they titled the successor the"wii U" expecting some legacy crossover. That loyalty wasn't there because they didn't build a powerful brand. What they got left with were confused consumers who didn't know there was an upgrade, and judging by the fidelity of the games.. arguably, why would they.

The Wii name is confusing, but it's not the "Wii" part of it that's the problem. It's the "-U". "Wii2" or "super Wii" would have clearly communicated what that system was. WiiU falls into the same vague trap as "wii fit" "wii play" "wii music" etc. it's not clear that this is another system, or a substantial upgrade rather than an add on.

Dragoons dogma might have the best charcter maker for black ppl outside saints row

mass effect

Ugly-Mass-Effect-Shepard.jpg

Wynnebeck

Banned
Dragoons dogma might have the best charcter maker for black ppl outside saints row

I managed to make my girlfriend in DD:DA as my main character and I made myself as one of her pawns. She finds it quite funny to see me get beat up by a bandit and then her having to come save me. :p

Nakazato

I managed to make my girlfriend in DD:DA as my main character and I made myself as one of her pawns. She finds it quite funny to see me get beat up by a bandit and then her having to come save me. :p
Lol isn't how it happens lol

I just got my second pawn/main pawn. That kneeling scene is hilarious

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Nintendo's going to limp along with WiiU until they figure out what the next console is. I wouldn't expect a Dreamcasting.

I've said this before, but the secret about Nintendo that never seems to come up in these discussions is that Nintendo has kind of been a handheld-first, console-second company basically since the Game Boy came out. They like consoles and console games, probably because they're better on a per-unit revenue basis, so a less-successful console can still bring in a lot of profit, but the Wii was the first Nintendo console ever to reach handheld-level units sold.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html

It kind of makes sense that they would have a corporate culture that doesn't care about western third party support, since their successes have mostly come from handhelds, and western devs could not give less of a fuck about those no matter how many Nintendo sells. That lack of caring, though, is killing them this console generation, because they don't have anything with the hook of a Wii Sports or Wii Fit this gen.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That thread is so dumb.

You got people on one side claiming that the game is entirely worthless because there are only 12 max in a match, and you got people on the other side claiming there are literally no good online games with high player counts.

It's a fucking mess.

RedSwirl

Nintendo's going to limp along with WiiU until they figure out what the next console is. I wouldn't expect a Dreamcasting.

I've said this before, but the secret about Nintendo that never seems to come up in these discussions is that Nintendo has kind of been a handheld-first, console-second company basically since the Game Boy came out. They like consoles and console games, probably because they're better on a per-unit revenue basis, so a less-successful console can still bring in a lot of profit, but the Wii was the first Nintendo console ever to reach handheld-level units sold.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html

It kind of makes sense that they would have a corporate culture that doesn't care about western third party support, since their successes have mostly come from handhelds, and western devs could not give less of a fuck about those no matter how many Nintendo sells. That lack of caring, though, is killing them this console generation, because they don't have anything with the hook of a Wii Sports or Wii Fit this gen.

I always just chalked that up to handhelds naturally selling more than consoles because they're cheaper. Even the PSP managed to sell a shitload of units.

That new Gamecube retrospective story on Gaming side is pretty deep and paints a picture of an incredibly conservative Nintendo. The message I got is that Nintendo still mainly thinks of their systems as unique, specialized machines and not really a software platforms or operating systems. The article talked about how 10 years ago Nintendo was really against multiplatform development. I think Nintendo needs to drop some of that shit and think of itself as MacOS competing against Windows or something like that. What I mean is, they need to pursue as much good software support as possible.

It could be just a general Japan thing though. I think the PS3 early on was hurt bad by what happened to Japanese developers going into this generation, and Sony basically responded by turning PlayStation into an American operation. They way Nintendo operates and thinks really mirrors how most Japanese game companies operate, and none of them has really found an answer to this new western dominance. Nintendo kind of stumbled upon it during the N64 years by grabbing up so many western second-party developers (it did nearly as well as the SNES in North America), but then chucked that away because it made sense for a Japanese company at the time.

Slayven

The last page in this thread has me smiling so hard. Only thing better is if Rocksteady announces an Adam The X-treme game.

Kreed

The bolded is what it boils down to. Nintendo could have kept their same outdated philosophies and not given a damn about Western developers if they could have at the very least put out the type of titles the Wii had. When the Wii came out not only did you have Wii Sports to hook the casuals/morning news stations looking for a story, but you had the rehashed Gamecube Zelda everyone had been waiting on since they were pissed off by Wind Waker. The Wii U had none of this out the gate, and it's too late to put out good titles now that the PS4 and Xbox One are around, both of which are reasonably priced this generation vs the last. And then there's the issue of not naming the damn thing the Wii 2 vs giving the system a name that makes all these casuals think it's just an accessory for the Wii that they already have.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I freely admit I don't give a shit about multiplayer, nor do I turn it on in anything not named dark souls- but why is a game being 6 on 6 even notable, let alone a bad thing. how many people does a game actually need?

I personally would have liked at least 8vs8 humans. But I somewhat trust these guys to know what they're doing. Still don't see the need for bots though. If they are typical goons like we see in every game why not just state that outright then ? I have my finger crossed that everything will workout for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom