• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

great?
are you talking about that thirsty dude that was masquerading as his evil twin brother and had to kill his parents?

Yep. The passive aggressive stuff like "I can only see it being useful to undisciplined people." "You'd have to be stupid to pass up free money."
Bulletproof
Oh now what did they do?
Devo, that avatar is god-tier.
Get a drink of water, your mouth is getting dry and reckless.

Got $500 in amazon gift cards for signing up with Chase. They upped my limit really quick which got my overall credit utilization below 15% and gave my credit score a nice bump.

I'm at the point where improving my credit won't do much as far as getting better rates is concerned. I just have to keep from wrecking it.

got that Devo credit?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
honestly...

i hope nobody wins the superbowl
Your mind is your own worst enemy, especially if you are your own worst critic.

It's really fucking hard not to dissect yourself everytime this shit happens (like it happened to me just a week ago) instead of coming to the logical conclusion that it just might be something with them.

So there's multiple options at my disposal... blame myself, blame her, or forgive and let go. But damn if the last one isn't the hardest to do.

My dad drilled it into my head that everything is on me. Potential to change every outcome, regardless of absurdity, lies with self.

Which... isn't a 'bad' outlook. And yes its made very, very attentive to detail and allows constant self-improvement but you can't live a whole life like that.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Dat Game of Thrones season 4 trailer.
iP2Kq8oc32qaU.png

This wait till April is gonna suck.

Damn straight!

The mistake is in thinking too much about it all. Shit happens. Sometimes people meet someone else. Sometimes people just grow tired of you. Sometimes they hit a point in their life where they just drop everything including you. Sometimes you fuck up. There's just so many possibilities the only real assurance you have is not making the same mistakes again but you can't factor in all of the possibilities on their end so don't drive yourself crazy with that shit.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
My dad drilled it into my head that everything is on me. Potential to change every outcome, regardless of absurdity, lies with self.

Which... isn't a 'bad' outlook. And yes its made very, very attentive to detail and allows constant self-improvement but you can't live a whole life like that.

It's beneficial... to a point.

Then you come at a crossroads where you can't manufacturer the answer you are looking for from within anymore, and if you spent an entire lifetime avoiding opening up to people? That's a deep sinkhole to be in.

It took me until my mid-20s to realize that you can't do everything on your own, and some shit that happens to you isn't also entirely your fault. If you fucked up, you know.

And on those days you didn't and things still didn't turn out the way you wanted them to? Well, it probably wasn't on you, either, and that's really hard to accept.

Then you come at a crossroads where you can't manufacturer the answer you are looking for from within anymore, and if you spent an entire lifetime avoiding opening up to people? That's a deep sinkhole to be in.

It took me until my mid-20s to realize that you can't do everything on your own, and some shit that happens to you isn't also entirely your fault. If you fucked up, you know.

And on those days you didn't and things still didn't turn out the way you wanted them to? Well, it probably wasn't on you, either, and that's really hard to accept.

The lesson I learned with my first relationship is that you can't even account for your own feelings 8 years down the road, let alone theirs. All you can hope to do is get enough experience to see some shit coming and head that off at the pass with good communication so when you get further along in your relationship there isn't a bunch of "what the fuck do we want from each other anyway?"

Sometimes the biggest mistake you can make is telling yourself that the other person was the right one for you. If you start from something like that, it's hard to imagine any other possible outcomes.

Yup. And not come to terms with what you actually want from someone and communicating that to them and yourself.

reilo

The mistake is in thinking too much about it all. Shit happens. Sometimes people meet someone else. Sometimes people just grow tired of you. Sometimes they hit a point in their life where they just drop everything including you. Sometimes you fuck up. There's just so many possibilities the only real assurance you have is not making the same mistakes again but you can't factor in all of the possibilities on their end so don't drive yourself crazy with that shit.

Sometimes the biggest mistake you can make is telling yourself that the other person was the right one for you. If you start from something like that, it's hard to imagine any other possible outcomes.

I fucked up badly in my first serious relationship but one can only learn from shit like that and grow. If you're getting better from every encounter and relationship, you should know that, if you're just getting bitter and angry, well what's that going to do to your future efforts and relationships?

DY_nasty

I reached a stress limit. I can trick myself into believing I can strong arm or endure any situation but that's not how life works. When you've got every success in your life from solving problems in that manner and you're abruptly forced to admit that is no longer an option... well, you gotta change.

change sucks

DominoKid

welcome to my life.

i don't think i'll ever fully accept the part i bolded..

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Bulletproof
Oh now what did they do?

invincible is something else
from monster girl being a father, to bullletproofs origin, that world irks me. if it was more of allen and mark dicking around in space i would like it more

reilo

I fucked up badly in my first serious relationship but one can only learn from shit like that and grow. If you're getting better from every encounter and relationship, you should know that, if you're just getting bitter and angry, well what's that going to do to your future efforts and relationships?

It's weird because even when shit wasn't ever my fault, I'd get bitter and angry at myself. That's not healthy.

I reached a stress limit. I can trick myself into believing I can strong arm or endure any situation but that's not how life works. When you've got every success in your life from solving problems in that manner and you're abruptly forced to admit that is no longer an option... well, you gotta change.

change sucks

Yup.

Girls version of New York is less racially diverse than the lineup at the local country music station.

Kareem Abdul Jabar's article on Girls is spot on. The man tells no lies.

As Slayven has pointed out with his Darius Rucker pic. Hell, old Hootie and the Blowfish was more country than a fair amount of what is playing on the local country music station today. Also, the Eagles.

Seriously bros and devo and view the Golden Globes are horrible. I wish my son was here right now. I'd much rather be playing his Godzilla toys.

DY_nasty

I may end up saying a lot more about it if/when I get out but getting up after being hit by a truck was not even the third hardest thing I've had to do in my life.

That weird, freaky Spanish girl somehow got me out of that and I have no clue how.

reilo

I may end up saying a lot more about it if/when I get out but getting up after being hit by a truck was not even the third hardest thing I've had to do in my life.

That weird, freaky Spanish girl somehow got me out of that and I have no clue how.

I don't think I know about the Spanish girl.

ReiGun

It makes you powerful. Like you can control anything that happens in your life. But then one day something happens - often something involving another person - and you're just confronted with the fact that sometimes shit just happens.

My experience was the opposite of yours in that my parents had to drill into me that everything is not my fault and that I can't control anything since my natural instinct has always been to look inward for every solution. I eventually became way too hard on myself every time shit didn't go my way.

In recent years, I've found I'm most successful with a "I'll just do what I'm supposed to do, and whatever will be will be" attitude. It still sucks when things go awry, but it doesn't stop my whole world like it used to.

harSon

Banned
I want the Seahawks to win it all, just so their fans will shut the hell up about Super Bowl XL. After that, it goes Broncos (although the thought of a post Manning SB commercial onslaught makes me nauseous) > Patriots >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Having to go down on Honey Boo Boo's mom >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 49ers. I hate the Patriots as much as the next person, but Bay Area sports fans don't deserve shit. I wish them decades of underachievement and failure. Can't wait to see Bipolarbaugh, his midget headed squidward lookin' shitty QB and Boldin's short tempered ass fall short again. The Sharks choking again in the Playoffs will be icing on an already beautiful year of Bay Area underachievement.

I want the Seahawks to win it all, just so their fans will shut the hell up about Super Bowl XL. After that, it goes Broncos (although the thought of a post Manning SB commercial onslaught makes me nauseous) > Patriots >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Having to go down on Honey Boo Boo's mom >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 49ers. I hate the Patriots as much as the next person, but Bay Area sports fans don't deserve shit. I wish them decades of underachievement and failure. Can't wait to see Bipolarbaugh, his midget headed squidward lookin' shitty QB and Boldin's short tempered ass fall short again. The Sharks choking again in the Playoffs will be icing on an already beautiful year of Bay Area underachievement.

I'll never understand so much Bay Area saltiness most of which isn't directed at Raider Nation.

DY_nasty

Bullshit aside.

Her is an amazing movie so far. About halfway through it. Phoenix is GOAT.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I blame myself for everything, my own harshest critic, even when it isn't my fault (and i can clearly see that). I somehow feel i could/ should have done better.

However with age, i've been able to curb that feeling down from sometimes months, to mere hours in some cases. ESPECIALLY when it comes to personal matters like the opposite sex. Easier to let the chips fall where they may, rather than trying to put things in place. I've only been in one past relationship where i honestly thought she was THE ONE.

Last few years, i've actively avoided relationships. Not in that place yet. I'll know when I am. And i'll have all the relevant experience to not make the mistakes of the past next time.

Live life, love it. Whatever happens will, regardless of your intervention.

reilo

So, my best just posted on FB that he dumped a girl for reasons and is ignoring all forms of communications of hers.

He plays this Simpsons game on FB and apparently she wrote in the game to call him on one of the tiles.

I wish I had those kinda girl problems.

As long as 12 Years wins BP and Lupita Best Supporting Actress, I'm straight, no salt in bloodstream.

Since the preferential ballot change of '09, the PGAs have been batting a thousand on predicting Best Picture, so we'll probably know the winner this saturday(and the nominations this Thursday, of course)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

the niners though? i hate the raiders as much as the next man, but the niners are cool. and thats coming from a pats fan

harSon

Banned
I have a real screener and still won't watch it. I need to see it in a Cinema.

Watch it man. It got a wider release on Friday. I caught it on Saturday and it was damned good. Was down on Jonze a bit after Where the Wild Things Are, but Her easily stands toe to toe with Adaptation. and Being John Malkovich.

Lone Survivor is another one I'm sitting on. Wanted to see it in theaters but I had to walk out.

I won't watch it. Ever.

Watch it man. It got a wider release on Friday. I caught it on Saturday and it was damned good. Was down on Jonze a bit after Where the Wild Things Are, but Her easily stands toe to toe with Adaptation. and Being John Malkovich.

I will probably catch it while my dad is in chemo this week or when I go home to LA. I haven't had time for shit since my dad is really sick and I have had my son.

So, I don't watch the NFL, I admit it. I'm in Cleveland. :)

I'm watching a game with my dad, and I noticed that both the starting quarterbacks are black. And no comments from the announcers, so this is obviously accepted as normal and not something crazy like the All Black Coach Superbowl. And I realize that there are more than a few black quarterbacks, starting QBs, right now, of varying levels of ability, but still there. Is this the year of the Black Quarterback, or has this been going on for a while?

Slayven

I'm watching a game with my dad, and I noticed that both the starting quarterbacks are black. And no comments from the announcers, so this is obviously accepted as normal and not something crazy like the All Black Coach Superbowl. And I realize that there are more than a few black quarterbacks, starting QBs, right now, of varying levels of ability, but still there. Is this the year of the Black Quarterback, or has this been going on for a while?

You got to listen to sports shows and am radio to hear the dog whistling.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

Slowly been happening. Vick (whatever you might think of him) kinda made it fashionable again though. Dual threat....a QB that can throw and run (they usually tend to be black)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom