• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

I'm not from the Bay Area though. I was born in Pittsburgh, PA and lived there until my early teens.

ah, thought you were always from the Bay.

you still a hater doe :p

Dy evolved from being a crab to now being the bucket itself

Move to Cleveland

See first hand the pain each season of Cleveland sports losing

I'm from Toronto. I know all about losing culture. Raptors fan till death.

harSon

Banned
ah, thought you were always from the Bay.

you still a hater doe :p

No arguments there :D

And my kids will be raised to hate the sports teams of the city they're born into! Unless I move back to Pittsburgh, which I doubt, cause I ain't trying to fuck with that cold ass weather.

My brother failed to raise his son the right way. I'm ashamed to say that my nephew is a dirty Niners fan. I could stomach him being a delinquent thug, but a Niner fan? There's no redemption for that.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Is that 'why do girls give their number if they aren't interested' thread worth reading for some laughs, or is it pretty much a waste of time?

harSon

Banned
I can't wait for harSon to marry a fine ass white chick that's also a Niners fan.

Up to this point, I've been lucky. Everyone I've dated didn't feel too strongly about sports, so they just rocked whatever I rocked.

I probably won't be living in the Bay Area much longer anyways. Shit's way too expensive.... Maybe my hatred will soften as I hate my new city's team. I doubt it, but you never know.

Onemic

Is that 'why do girls give their number if they aren't interested' thread worth reading for some laughs, or is it pretty much a waste of time?

I dont understand that thread. I mean doesnt it go both ways? Ive asked for girls numbers and the next day had no real intention of contacting them or them me countless times. It's not a big deal like the OP is making it out to be.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I dont understand that thread. I mean doesnt it go both ways? Ive asked for girls numbers and the next day had no real intention of contacting them or them me countless times. It's not a big deal like the OP is making it out to be.
I don't think it's meant to be understood. Just sounds like fedora-speak to me, AKA whining about why they aren't successful with women and looking for every excuse under the sun that doesn't involve looking in the mirror. I could be wrong though, haven't bothered to read the thread yet.

RedSwirl

Fam, for some reason I just started thinking about this, possibly the first time I've seriously thought about it internally in my life: Do you really think there are "two Americas?" Like, there being "white America" and "colored America" are known concepts but I feel like most people just say that shit as words.

The most succinct way I can encapsulate this is by saying when groups of white people refer to "America" and groups of minorities say "America," I feel like they're talking about two different concepts most of the time. One side is talking about the industrialized nation that's rich and powerful and all that shit while the other is either talking about the government or just the plurality of people that live here. It's what a lot of people like to call the "urban" demographic.

What made me think about this was thinking about all the people I've known in my life as a kid from a black family who grew up mostly in white suburbs. I think I always intrinsically felt like I was interacting with at least two Americas -- worlds of people who watch different TV shows and movies, shop at different places, and in general just interact with different people. Every once in a while you see evidence that they see different things too.

I think the reason we get so confused from GAF posts is because video game fandom from my point of view is an offshoot of "white America." It sounds kind of segregationist, but only from the same perspective as the "I don't see color" argument.

/random deep shit

Kreed

Is it wrong I'm dissapointed that the dude works for Fox news? Cause I'm sure she could of met a nice guy from msnbc is she had bothered to look.....

I was saying the same thing. But I don't know her political alignment so she might be conservative/might support their agenda.

I believe that was a Seinfeld episode and the number was to a furniture store.

Congrats on the promotion, Dy. Does this mean you have to deal with people's petty BS now?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
First day of class and someone's engine apparently exploded in front of the main campus building. They made us evacuate the classroom for some reason ??? and we stood around outside for 15 minutes while the fire department came to put out the car (looked like an old Ford Explorer).

Kreed

Fam, for some reason I just started thinking about this, possibly the first time I've seriously thought about it internally in my life: Do you really think there are "two Americas?" Like, there being "white America" and "colored America" are known concepts but I feel like most people just say that shit as words.

The most succinct way I can encapsulate this is by saying when groups of white people refer to "America" and groups of minorities say "America," I feel like they're talking about two different concepts most of the time. One side is talking about the industrialized nation that's rich and powerful and all that shit while the other is either talking about the government or just the plurality of people that live here. It's what a lot of people like to call the "urban" demographic.

What made me think about this was thinking about all the people I've known in my life as a kid from a black family who grew up mostly in white suburbs. I think I always intrinsically felt like I was interacting with at least two Americas -- worlds of people who watch different TV shows and movies, shop at different places, and in general just interact with different people. Every once in a while you see evidence that they see different things too.

I think the reason we get so confused from GAF posts is because video game fandom from my point of view is an offshoot of "white America." It sounds kind of segregationist, but only from the same perspective as the "I don't see color" argument.

/random deep shit

I wouldn't designate this to a "colored America" vs "white America" thing as opposed to people from different backgrounds seeing the US/US experience differently. For example, black people who come from different countries and come here seeking the "American dream" are going to see the US differently than black people growing up in this country.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
My last nco, a Sgt, straight up cried during our last trip to the field. The one where I was catching bodies and getting sapped up by majors. She basically cried because someone told her she sucked at her job. They weren't even mean about it.
The only crying allowed in the Marines is one, single, silent tear on Veteran's Day.

The "Two Americas" theory has more to do with the haves and have not's. Its just up until recently all the haves were white and the have not's were "colored." Which causes more strain on the racial differences in America. In the next 100 years the racial lines of the haves/have nots will blur and it will become strictly class based.

The "Two Americas" theory has more to do with the haves and have not's. Its just up until recently all the haves were white and the have not's were "colored." Which causes more strain on the racial differences in America. In the next 100 years the racial lines of the haves/have nots will blur and it will become strictly class based.

Yes! Colorblind American Dream fulfilled!!

Slayven

Yeah. I believe it is a pretty famous story.

Kinda funny how it easily that shifted to refer to black women wholeheartedly...as if white people weren't on welfare or something.
No just minorities and foreigners.
are people upset about a vampire draining a person? isnt that what vampires do?

It's so stupid, but will only get worst. I skimmed the first page and was going to post about how vamperism was always a allegory for rape. Not to defend the article but too keep it real.

If you want to read the palmed her drink thread all over again and get keen insight into what male privilege is, sure.

BHZ Mayor

No just minorities and foreigners.

It's so stupid, but will only get worst. I skimmed the first page and was going to post about how vamperism was always a allegory for rape. Not to defend the article but too keep it real.

It's easy to say it's an overreaction, but that article is just such a strange logic leap that it can't be real. That has to be for clicks.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

it just seems odd to get upset at the actions of monsters.

i think it's a huge jump too, but you know some people will take it TO THE EXTREEEEEEME

It's not too big of a jump. Vampire and nonconsensual imagery have gone hand in hand for a long time. For me it's do I give a shit presented in this context. Are there better battles to fight? Does this diminish how seriously people with genuine concerns about gender in games are taken? It just seems like much of gaming journalism, or the stuff that blows up, centers around depictions and imagery that is honestly not the problem. I mean I'm sure someone could tell me I'm not the arbiter of what's decent and what isn't but when you consider all of the problems, journalists seem to be going for low hanging fruit for hits.

Was that credit card thread really just about people not understanding that others are in different financial situations?

I have a great setup now, but just a couple years ago a car accident or unemployment would have killed me financially.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Being a black man in America.
vXaV9vP.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom