• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypernima

Banned
So were just gonna let DY hurt the innocent

tumblr_mv2an1GfGF1qcmcf6o1_500.jpg

:0 :D :D

I'm at work trying so hard not to laugh. Like I'm dyinginside. yo like a human fold up chair.

SmokyDave

Evening chaps and ladies. I watched a dude called 'Aries Spears' last night and he had me laughing my ass off for an hour straight. Never heard of the guy before but stumbled across his standup by accident. Any suggestions on similar American comedians?

I don't think I've actually seen this. I've seen black men who only date black women get mad/hate on black women for dating non black men and vice versa, but I've never seen a black man/woman dating someone of a different ethnic group getting mad at someone for doing the same thing. Not saying this doesn't happen, just want to know if anyone has actually seen instances of this vs just lumping all black men together. Like how do they rationalize the hatred of a black woman doing something they themselves are doing?
I have no experience of this exact thing, but I've known plenty of hypocrites. Usually you hear stuff like 'well they do it, so now I have to do it' or 'they set the rules of the game, I'm just playing it'. Usually it's just people that feel guilt about something displacing that guilt onto others and acting like they were 'driven' into tht position. Like I say though, I'm just talking about hypocrites in general.

Slayven

Evening chaps and ladies. I watched a dude called 'Aries Spears' last night and he had me laughing my ass off for an hour straight. Never heard of the guy before but stumbled across his standup by accident. Any suggestions on similar American comedians?

Hannibal Burgress and the late great Patrice O neal.

ReiGun

Just got out of my interview with Zenimax. It's was actually kind of fun in that the team members interviewing me were cool and fun to talk to. Modesty and pessimism prevents me from getting too worked up, but I think I got this. They said I'd hear back in about a week.

JohnDoe

Banned
Just got out of my interview with Zenimax. It's was actually kind of fun in that the team members interviewing me were cool and fun to talk to. Modesty and pessimism prevents me from getting too worked up, but I think I got this. They said I'd hear back in about a week.

Good luck dude. You'll get it! :)

I'll actually start working at apple on the 15th, ending my 3 month unemployment.

Slayven

Good luck dude. You'll get it! :)

I'll actually start working at apple on the 15th, ending my 3 month unemployment.

All that work just to be cut out of the company photo.

DominoKid

Any thoughts on the Roots remake that the History Channel is doing?

EXCLUSIVE: History is taking on one of most celebrated TV programs of all time, blockbuster 1977 miniseries Roots. The cable network is planning a new eight-hour Roots miniseries after acquiring rights to the 12-hour original from Mark Wolper, son of Roots executive producer, the late David L. Wolper, and to the book the mini was based on, Roots: The Saga Of An American Family, from the estate of author Alex Haley. Mark Wolper is on board as executive producer. The network is about to start discussions with writers for the project, which will draw both on the book and the original mini from a contemporary perspective. “We would like to revive that cultural icon for a new audience,” said History EVP and GM Dirk Hoogstra. The project originated with a remark by one of Hoogstra’s executives, VP Development and Programming Michael Stiller, who suggested the network should try to remake Roots. The idea was put into motion, and meetings were set up with Mark Wolper and the attorney representing the Haley estate. As talks progressed, it emerged that there was a second Roots remake project out there from different original auspices that had been eyed by FX. In the end, History stepped up and secured rights, clearing the way for a new Roots mini on the cable network.

The timing couldn’t be better — the topic of slavery is very much on people’s minds through a string of popular movies including last year’s Django Unchained, this year’s Oscar hopeful 12 Years A Slave, and with Lee Daniels’ The Butler also touching on the subject. Add to that the success of other recent historical films like Lincoln. “History in general is in the zeitgeist, which is great for us being a network whose name is History,” Hoogstra said. The cable network has played a major role in bringing history to the forefront of pop culture over the past couple of years with its blockbuster miniseries Hatfields & McCoys and The Bible as well as series The Vikings.

Roots became a cultural phenomenon when it premiered on ABC in January 1977, airing over eight consecutive nights. An unlikely hit with a largely black cast and a slavery theme, it broke ratings records, with the conclusion drawing 100 million viewers, almost half of the entire country. The mini also is credited with helping improve race relationships and establish David Wolper’s miniseries style of blending fact and fiction in a soap opera package. The mini earned a record 36 Emmy nominations, winning nine including best limited series; supporting actor for Ed Asner; and music, shared by Quincy Jones. Thirty six years on, Roots has shown remarkable longevity, consistently drawing solid ratings for its reruns. Last December, BET’s 35th anniversary airing draw 4.1 million viewers for the opening two parts.

FyreWulff

I just want to say FyreWulff's "WTF happen to Halo 4" OP is an exceptionally well put together post, that even if you don't have the vaguest idea what Halo 4 is, its quite informative about how it happen. Good work, brotha

also, fuck Halo 4

Thanks. (and to everyone else in here that read it) I tried to stay on the facts and less emotion as possible with it, so people would discuss the game and not my post persay. Although that's impossible to do with that 14 Day Buy and Play crap.

Damn I didn't realized shit that was serious. I want Fyre to make more of those threads.

2 more posts coming, but they'll be replies to that thread, not new topics

Gorillaz

You can tell Elba regrets doing Obessed. Beyonce can't act for shit, Ali was phoning it in and the overall movie was hot trash

Slayven

He the type of nigga that jackoff to himself.

Lakeview is bad in a good hilarious way, Obsession is just 60 mins of Bey trying to hard to act
Obsession is my jam, Elba did everything but what he should have done. If that was me and Devo rolled up on me like that at a corprate job? I moving my desk to the middle of the lobby and don't go anywhere unless 6 people can see me at all times.
I'll take the picture myself as long as the checks clear.
Selfies on your flip phone?
Seen better hair on muppets tbh.
Shadeeeee....

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

JOIN US

Yep. Can't we just get a movie about a black couple that's not about a black couple or something?

You can't sell a movie about a black couple who just happens to be black. You'll make more money if said couple is white. And if you are going for a black audience, you're just defeating the purpose of the argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom