• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to be that nigga. But is it me but does the new Mario game the colors look faded and washed out? And the stage design boring?

The one light green grass area is really bad and I don't know why they keep showing it, but if you don't get hype from this trailer IDK, maybe you just don't like Mario games.

ReiGun

I like Avengers a little less every time I watch it. It's still a good movie, tho; definitely a top ten comic film.

Slayven

The one light green grass area is really bad and I don't know why they keep showing it, but if you don't get hype from this trailer IDK, maybe you just don't like Mario games.

If Super Mario 64 had a higher polygon count it would look better than that game. How long was that game cooking? Cause it doesn't look that good

As much as I love taking a shit on Nintendo, I have to admit that I had a moment of weakness and felt jealousy that I didn't own a Wii L for Mario 3D World.

Then Miyamoto came out with his "online in 10 years" thing and it all went away.

Kreed

The ones around here still shitting on Marvel and The Avengers are likely the ones who predicted it would bomb at the box office, that it would be critically panned, that it would be a piece of shit failure. Then when it outperformed their precious Dark Knight they were EXTRA salty. Real heads know the deal though.

Avengers and the Dark Knight films were different beasts/enjoyable in their own rights. But the Avengers was a pure comic book movie. It wasn't held back by any of the "let's make this work in the real world" barriers that the Batman films were so focused on and that made the film more enjoyable as a comic book fan. I still enjoyed the Batman films as an attempt to make Batman "real", but the Avengers did a better job at turning comic book characters into movie characters.

ReiGun

Avengers and the Dark Knight films were different beasts/enjoyable in their own rights. But the Avengers was a pure comic book movie. It wasn't held back by any of the "let's make this work in the real world" barriers that the Batman films were so focused on and that made the film more enjoyable as a comic book fan. I still enjoyed the Batman films as an attempt to make Batman "real", but the Avengers did a better job at turning comic book characters into movie characters.

I've never really felt like the Nolan films were trying to make Batman "real," what with all the microwave emitters, cell phone surveillance device things, and, well, "The Dark Knight Rises." It was certainly a serious take on Batman, but it didn't feel all that different from something you'd read in a Batman comic or graphic novel. The handling of Robin might be the only case where I really felt like they were actively avoiding a comic book element. Things like the Joker's face just being paint and Bane not having Venom count too, I suppose, but I don't believe those really limited anything.

Still stressed as fuck. Reminding myself I'll be out of here at the end of the month isn't working to calm my nerves. gahhhhh.

Have a couple meetings coming up about a giant mess and then probably a sit down with auditors thereafter.

About to flip a table.

Slayven

Still stressed as fuck. Reminding myself I'll be out of here at the end of the month isn't working to calm my nerves. gahhhhh.

Have a couple meetings coming up about a giant mess and then probably a sit down with auditors thereafter.

About to flip a table.

No sick time you could burn?

I've never really felt like the Nolan films were trying to make Batman "real," what with all the microwave emitters, cell phone surveillance device things, and, well, "The Dark Knight Rises." It was certainly a serious take on Batman, but it didn't feel all that different from something you'd read in a Batman comic or graphic novel. The handling of Robin might be the only case where I really felt like they were actively avoiding a comic book element. Things like the Joker's face just being paint and Bane not having Venom count too, I suppose, but I don't believe those really limited anything.

It's definitely not real but it's also a marked attempt at getting away from the more fantastical aspects of a lot of comic stories. The most unlikely stuff included in the Nolan trilogy really wasn't that far fetched though indeed the technology is definitely beyond what's available today. It's just far more believable.

Nakazato

anyone in IT ?

Thinking about getting my A+ and Net+ to help change careers. Any advice ? Could I get an entry level job just with the A+ cert and with Net+ cert make about 40k a year ?

Avengers is boring as fuck on rewatches. It only gets entertaining in the last half hour.

It's lame how marvel fanboys in here have to assume everybody's salty if they're not feeling it. For the record I really liked iron man 3. More than avengers and their other flicks.

And I still think X2 and the first two Spider-Man films are in the goat list

Its fun when these films try something different. Thor and cap 2 look like the same old for me and that's pretty boring now imo. Iron Man 3 was the start of the change, guardians of the galaxy will rise them up. And Ant Man will ascend marvel studios to greatness

Also just going forward with my personal opinion I gotta say as disappointing as dark knight rises was, individual scenes were better than all of avengers for me because I was such a big fan of the previous two films

Bane breaking him, and especially those last 5 minutes were blessed

That's what youtube is for though. I'm not watching all of rises or avengers ever again

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
See I never even saw it as a Marvel vs DC thing. I enjoyed the Nolan Batman films fwiw. But I also really liked the campy as fuck versions we got in the 80s and 90s so ymmv if you only like the serious takes.

About to flip a table.
Man I don't know how I would even handle something like that considering I get stressed out at my job if the details aren't organized and the back-ups backed up. Keep in mind there is only so much you can do, the people running the show are ultimately responsible for letting things get so bad. Don't let it weigh on your shoulders.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

About to flip a table.
Every time you feel down, just remind yourself how much of a joke the Knicks are.

Kreed

Batman comic characters like Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, Clayface, Mr. Freeze, etc would never appear in the Nolan universe with their full powers intact. And that's fine, but that's all I'm getting at. In a Marvel film, worst case scenario they would change the color of their outfits.

J10

Banned

There was a definite vibe of "lets distance ourselves as far away from the Schumacher films as possible." The colors were more earthy, the tone very serious, and Batman himself was capable, but not genius enough, not damaged enough. Was the universe that Nolan created so crazy that The Batman's presence in it was justified? In my opinion, not really. It was just a little bit too grounded. He could have just been wearing a hoodie or a leather jacket and the movie wouldn't have felt much different. That's the real difference between it and Avengers I think. The Avenger's universe had firmly established itself as crazy enough to justify the presence of it's heroes fully draped in their primary colors with their crazy powers and technology and personality quirks.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
For reference:

batmanallfour.jpg
Just want to say one thing:

Michael Keaton is still the best batman

*drops mic*
And Nicholson Joker was a top tier villain.

ReiGun

It's definitely not real but it's also a marked attempt at getting away from the more fantastical aspects of a lot of comic stories. The most unlikely stuff included in the Nolan trilogy really wasn't that far fetched though indeed the technology is definitely beyond what's available today. It's just far more believable.

That I agree with.

I just don't jive with the idea that Nolan's films were somehow ashamed of being comic movies because they were more serious in tone. Especially considering the character they were adapting.

Batman comic characters like Killer Croc, Poison Ivy, Clayface, Mr. Freeze, etc would never appear in the Nolan universe with their full powers intact. And that's fine, but that's all I'm getting at. In a Marvel film, worst case scenario they would change the color of their outfits.
True. I guess I just don't see that as a huge limitation, considering Batman's rogue gallery is huge, and you only need three villains (and we got more than three anyway).

There was a definite vibe of "lets distance ourselves as far away from the Schumacher films as possible." The colors were more earthy, the tone very serious, and Batman himself was capable, but not genius enough, not damaged enough. Was the universe that Nolan created so crazy that The Batman's presence in it was justified? In my opinion, not really. It was just a little bit too grounded. He could have just been wearing a hoodie or a leather jacket and the movie wouldn't have felt much different. That's the real difference between it and Avengers I think. The Avenger's universe had firmly established itself as crazy enough to justify the presence of it's heroes fully draped in their primary colors with their crazy powers and technology and personality quirks.
But that was the whole point. Batman's presence, as well as those of the Joker et al, was an anomaly and a sign of just how bad things were getting in Gotham. Batman was justified because his very existence was a turning point in Gotham's story. Plus I think the scenario in Begins, wherein a secret organization of ninjas tried to destroy Gotham by way of hallucinogens after their infrastructure plan goes south, is just out there enough to need a Batman. Everything after that initial emergence was just the fallout.

Because I just see these movies as different takes on the characters same as I would see a comic or graphic novel, I'm willing to go along with whatever the creators decide. The "solider of fortune Batman" in the films is a far cry from the "crazy super genius Batman" in the comics, but both are still Batman to me and fit in their respective universes.

It wasn't shame moreso than just defining a universe and then getting characters to fit into it

Nolan movies are hit or miss, but I appreciate what he did with the batman movies. Even though I like Spider-Man 2 more than any of them as that approached a line of camp and drama that nothing has yet to do since

Also Keaton got the god batman voice for movies

Bales my favorite Bruce Wayne

Slayven

that is what I am saying. The Batman brand adds little to the movies.

That I agree with.

I just don't jive with the idea that Nolan's films were somehow ashamed of being comic movies because they were more serious in tone. Especially considering the character they were adapting.

Are there people that think Nolan's direction was out of shame? It just seemed more to me that he went with a more grounded direction in the spirit of the most critically acclaimed graphic novels. Both because they're great novels and because it hadn't been done often in movies at that point.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Avengers is boring as fuck on rewatches. It only gets entertaining in the last half hour.

It's lame how marvel fanboys in here have to assume everybody's salty if they're not feeling it. For the record I really liked iron man 3. More than avengers and their other flicks.

And I still think X2 and the first two Spider-Man films are in the goat list

Its fun when these films try something different. Thor and cap 2 look like the same old for me and that's pretty boring now imo. Iron Man 3 was the start of the change, guardians of the galaxy will rise them up. And Ant Man will ascend marvel studios to greatness

Also just going forward with my personal opinion I gotta say as disappointing as dark knight rises was, individual scenes were better than all of avengers for me because I was such a big fan of the previous two films

Bane breaking him, and especially those last 5 minutes were blessed

That's what youtube is for though. I'm not watching all of rises or avengers ever again

I'll never get what people see in x2. Good? Sure. But GOAT material? Far from it. I've already expressed how I feel about raimi spider man, so I won't bring that up.

Slayven

I'll never get what people see in x2. Good? Sure. But GOAT material? Far from it. I've already expressed how I feel about raimi spider man, so I won't bring that up.

The X-men movies were whoopers when you were used to eating sugar grits. But now that we tasted prime rib(Avengers), they don't look so good.

No sick time you could burn?

That would be cold blooded as fuck. My boss having to take my place would be a nightmare for her. She's the only reason I gave notice instead of just leaving.

Man I don't know how I would even handle something like that considering I get stressed out at my job if the details aren't organized and the back-ups backed up. Keep in mind there is only so much you can do, the people running the show are ultimately responsible for letting things get so bad. Don't let it weigh on your shoulders.

Not only is back-up piled up, some is missing. Changes to shit with no trace of who did, and if there is there's no authorization to do it.

Now I get to explain why to a room of neurotic suits.

Every time you feel down, just remind yourself how much of a joke the Knicks are.

The Knicks are run better than this place.

Slayven

That would be cold blooded as fuck. My boss having to take my place would be a nightmare for her. She's the only reason I gave notice instead of just leaving.

Well if she is good people yeah. But if not, I am reminded what a famous white man once said "If you can't swim, you are bound to drizzown."

Arkham origins suit looks better than his previous costumes in the games tho

And as badly edited as the new xmen trailer was, it gave me dem chills. That shot of the x from cerebro doors forming on McAvoy, or both Xaviers being face to face

I guess I know how slayven and others felt when they saw the avengers trailer

Aye reigun. Arrow league of shadows episode is today. I expect some godly action scenes

Slayven

I can't get into Arrow for the life of me, didn't care for the character in comics. For a rich white man he sure complained a lot. And them doing a 180 on the character in the show doesn't win me over.

But I loved that The Ray use to raw dogg Black Canary.

Well if she is good people yeah. But if not, I am reminded what a famous white man once said "If you can't swim, you are bound to drizzown."

I've made it clear that just about anyone else would have got a 24hour notice instead of 3 60+ hour weeks.

She has her own shit to worry about, she has two separate sit downs with them herself and shit's so bad she's basically 100% disconnected from my duties. Told her I gave her 3 weeks to leave things as good as can be reasonably expected....if auditors accept my mess then my last two weeks will be tolerable otherwise ....shit.

That monitor thread in gaming is hilarious. Remember the food stamp thread in OT a while back where people were shitting on the poor for taking advantage of a glitch in the system? lol

Flipping electronics or upgrading them makes someone an enterprising individual.

Getting food though? Idiot shady ass poors.

felicity's dope but black canary is gunning for her spot.

fuck laurel though. they managed to make every character from season 1 tolerable except her now.

ReiGun

Felicity > Laurel > Black Canary > Shado > Moira > Thea in looks.

Felicity > BC > Moira > Thea = Shado >>> Laurel as characters.

Aye reigun. Arrow league of shadows episode is today. I expect some godly action scenes
The previews looks bananas.

This season is the exact opposite of last because I don't care about the flashbacks at all. Starling City is where the goods are at.

Slayven

I've made it clear that just about anyone else would have got a 24hour notice instead of 3 60+ hour weeks.

She has her own shit to worry about, she has two separate sit downs with them herself and shit's so bad she's basically 100% disconnected from my duties. Told her I gave her 3 weeks to leave things as good as can be reasonably expected....if auditors accept my mess then my last two weeks will be tolerable otherwise ....shit.

Hearing you talk makes me want to hide my money under my mattress.

Tokubetsu

Felicity > Black Canary > Shado > Laurel > Moira > Thea in looks.

Felicity > BC > Moira > Thea = Shado >>> Laurel as characters.

The previews looks bananas.

This season is the exact opposite of last because I don't care about the flashbacks at all. Starling City is where the goods are at.

Idk if I'd put Thea at the bottom. That's dirty.

Team Keaton all the way.

But I think that's my problem with the "Nolanverse" that if they tried to bring in the more "fantastical" elements then there would be an issue. The thing I like about the Marvelverse is that there is that possibility I will see "insert your random broken-tier character". So excited for GotG.

And esco they doing any beta testing.....?

And rewatching Leverage. Shit is so damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom