• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

Naw
Madonna-shows-her-grills-as-she-leaves-the-new-Hard-Candy-Fitness-centre-2205463.jpg

it's Madonna

Slayven

gonna go with "Madonna"

I don't even entirely get the hashtag's relevance. It's definitely funny because it's like someone's grandma back in 2002 doing the toostee roll at their highschool football game and shouting 'whoomp there it is".

I really can't get mad at Madonna. Like...it's Madonna. I just can't care that much.

Right she is like someone's granmdma doing the Charleston while listening to Macklemoore.

Slayven

Y'all laugh about that. But remember when Madonna brought that strapon and had Guy Ritchie follwing her around with a sad face?

I don't think Madonna gives a single fuck about this or anything else she ever does. All those fucks she had were left on the floor at the '84 MTV Video Awards. Now there are no fucks left to give.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
What's been happening lately? I think their photoshop threads are hilarious but they are a lot of racist, homophobic dudes over there.

its just been a thing that was going to happen eventually

its still hilarious to watch a mirror image of stormfront grow though

the dominique dawes pregnant thread is gold
Madonna reminds me of that pic of Demi Moore dancing all old like.

5sdbX3v.jpg

Is that Lenny Kravitz? He's making that Iwasgonnafuckyoutilyoustarteddoingdumbshit face

DominoKid

wow i didn't realize Fruitvale Station would be so short. after watching it i definitely don't get the criticism that the movie portrayed Oscar too positively. it was pretty even.

the dominique dawes pregnant thread is gold

i can't believe that shit is 20 pages.

Trey

wow i didn't realize Fruitvale Station would be so short. after watching it i definitely don't get the criticism that the movie portrayed Oscar too positively. it was pretty even.

I saw that recently for the first time. Dude was just a dude. I know five cats just like him.

Good flick.

I think the complaint was the fabricated scene with the dog. I think there might have been another scene that the director put into the movie that some thought portrayed him too positively that didn't actually happen that day.

Not a big deal imo.

ReiGun

Playing FE: Awakening. Marriage happens awfully fast in this game. Chrom and Sully had like three lunch conversations and were like "You're cool, yo. Let's get hitched, or whatever." But so far, they're walking death on the battlefield when paired, so fine by me.

Speaking of death, I've already sent three people to die and since I've decided to stop playing FE like a bitch, no getting them back. I actually felt a little bad when they croaked. Even that one shitty farmer dude who did like 2 damage.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Playing FE: Awakening. Marriage happens awfully fast in this game. Chrom and Sully had like three lunch conversations and were like "You're cool, yo. Let's get hitched, or whatever." But so far, they're walking death on the battlefield when paired, so fine by me.

Speaking of death, I've already sent three people to die and since I've decided to stop playing FE like a bitch, no getting them back. I actually felt a little bad when they croaked. Even that one shitty farmer dude who did like 2 damage.

You fucked up. Donny is probably the best character in the game. Dude can pretty much solo late game.

ReiGun

You fucked up. Donny is probably the best character in the game. Dude can pretty much solo late game.

That's exactly why I was upset when he died. Only reason I had him on the field to begin with was because I just feel that he'd turn into a fucking monster later.

Oh well. Maybe next play through.

That's exactly why I was upset when he died. Only reason I had him on the field to begin with was because I just feel that he'd turn into a fucking monster later.

Oh well. Maybe next play through.

Yeah, Rei fucked up. Donny the Worldslayer carried my ass during the last half.

You motherfuckers gonna make me spend money on this damn game quick.

Be mad at me, but I'll say this. Who ever posted that "black fathers" thread should be ashamed. What the CDC found doesn't refute the stereotype and the thread title actually downplays what is still a major problem: black fathers are more likely to not be in the household than their white counterparts. Now, it's good to see what I kind of already knew, black fathers that ARE involved are often MORE involved than their white counterparts. Honestly, do you know any black guy who says "I don't change diapers." I've known quite a few white guys who are all about that "she does the diapers" life.

But still, that was a stupid title just asking for a shitstorm.

Topical - Don't care about Madonna's post. That Demi pic is apt.

Be mad at me, but I'll say this. Who ever posted that "black fathers" thread should be ashamed. What the CDC found doesn't refute the stereotype and the thread title actually downplays what is still a major problem: black fathers are more likely to not be in the household than their white counterparts. Now, it's good to see what I kind of already knew, black fathers that ARE involved are often MORE involved than their white counterparts. Honestly, do you know any black guy who says "I don't change diapers." I've known quite a few white guys who are all about that "she does the diapers" life.

But still, that was a stupid title just asking for a shitstorm.

This is an interesting viewpoint to me. A lot of people in the thread share your viewpoint and I posted in that thread but no one has commented on my thoughts there. So that's made me a bit curious.

What is the specific stereotype that you've been familiar with thus far? Is it that Black Fathers live in a different home or is it that Black Fathers are not involved in their children's lives?

Honestly seems like 90% of the cats in that thread conflate "black fathers aren't part of their kids lives" with "black fathers don't live with the family."

I've honestly been waiting for the "They don't work so of course they have time to be with their kids" because let's be honest someone on Gaf wants to say that. It's there behind ripclaws post.

Yea, the stereotype to me was always that the father wasn't there. I think making a distinction of "black fathers aren't a part of the lives" and "black fathers aren't there" can lead to fun with statistics. Looking at the raw numbers, even with a showing that black fathers are more likely to be involved compared to equally situated white peers, them being more likely to not be in the home still makes their lack of involvement a higher possibility.

DominoKid

see i've always saw it as black fathers not being in their kids lives.

i mean when a majority (what is it like 70%?) of black kids are born out of wedlock, it's kind of a a given that they're not going to be there so that doesn't really register with me.

see i've always saw it as black fathers not being in their kids lives.

i mean when a majority (what is it like 70%?) of black kids are born out of wedlock, it's kind of a a given that they're not going to be there so that doesn't really register with me.

You see it differently, but you get to the same conclusion as me. The raw numbers are still disfavorable for us.

Sooo... that nonscripted titanfall gameplay didn't look all that great.

Kreed

seemed thrown in for the sake of it.

I forgot about it until the end of the movie when he was laid out like the dog, struggling to breathe.

Yeah that scene was thrown in there from a random event that happened to the director's brother.

You see it differently, but you get to the same conclusion as me. The raw numbers are still disfavorable for us.

The stereotype has always been black fathers not being in kids lives. Not living in the same house as the kids is an issue, but that's still better than "How come he don't want me man?".

Honestly seems like 90% of the cats in that thread conflate "black fathers aren't part of their kids lives" with "black fathers don't live with the family."

And this is what I'm getting too. Which seems to be at odds with Society as a whole since Divorce is so accepted. And I don't mean that in a negative way necessarily. It's just that more than ever Divorce is seen as an acceptable option for a dysfunctional marriage.. but at the same time being a father who doesn't live in the same house is, apparently, still such a negative thing. So.. what's going on there?

Obviously there's the fact that there are fathers who were never married to the mothers of their children but the statistics shown in that study don't differentiate, so unless you're looking much deeper (likely with the intent to disprove) then I wonder why people's first reaction is "this can't be right."

I've honestly been waiting for the "They don't work so of course they have time to be with their kids" because let's be honest someone on Gaf wants to say that. It's there behind ripclaws post.

I only skimmed the back half of that thread but I'm happy that hasn't come been presented outright. Though, yes, I'm sure that thought process has been considered by a few people at least.

Yea, the stereotype to me was always that the father wasn't there. I think making a distinction of "black fathers aren't a part of the lives" and "black fathers aren't there" can lead to fun with statistics. Looking at the raw numbers, even with a showing that black fathers are more likely to be involved compared to equally situated white peers, them being more likely to not be in the home still makes their lack of involvement a higher possibility.

Ah ok. That's interesting to me because I've always interpreted the stereotype as not being involved. It's always seemed to me that when the stereotype has been.. employed/utilized by people, it's always been from a stance that Black men are more likely to just bounce and leave women to raise a child alone with no support whatsoever.

The thing about numbers is that as much as people like to think of them as concrete, you can play fun with statistics with them from almost any stance. But I think I take a different stance than you on which stats are actually having the fun in this particular issue since there's a legitimate issue to consider in terms of Blacks and poverty and that being the result of an institutional bias in terms of opportunities in education and work.

The stereotype has always been black fathers not being in kids lives. Not living in the same house as the kids is an issue, but that's still better than "How come he don't want me man?".

Not living with your kids makes not being involved far more likely. You still get black fathers being less involved in general.

What I took from that study is that Bill Cosby-esque, personal responsibility "you need to take care of your kids" speeches aren't the actual solution to the "black fatherhood crisis".

Nothing wrong with that type of talk on an individual level (if you got a friend or family member fucking up, by all means we should remind him of shit like that). But all too often, people want to pretend like we're genetically and culturally predisposed to walking out on kids or something, lol. And if only they heard another lecture, that would just magically solve everything!

I think the study pokes a hole in that kind of logic. But obviously, that doesn't mean that everything is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom