• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoilBreak

Banned
we'll be getting to anime levels of denial soon

''Wow, she's black?''

skgDg.png

Gorillaz

Yea I thought she was asian

YeShrug.gif

I didn't play the game tho so were talking bout the little girl right? I remember seeing her in a few pics

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Toasty isn't wrong tho. I wouldn't use his exact words, but let's not act like dark skinned women/kids get a lot of play time in music videos, games, tv, or film. 2 Chainz' Feds Watching was probably the first time I saw really dark skinned women paraded as a thing of beauty in that nature. Fucking Grace Jones is one of the few actresses.

Satch

Banned
Toasty isn't wrong tho. I wouldn't use his exact words, but let's not act like dark skinned women/kids get a lot of play time in music videos, games, tv, or film. 2 Chainz' Feds Watching was probably the first time I saw really dark skinned women paraded as a thing of beauty in that nature. Fucking Grace Jones is one of the few actresses.

ikr everybody is doing the most acting like he's telling a lie

Order

That Clementine thread is depressing. You can't have black characters unless they're overly exaggerated apparently.

Solid AC4 endorsements. It is bought.

Hijacking Black Athena, I don't care if it's copywrited

ED: Someone said she's a Wonder Woman character; is that true?

I know there was a black WW at one time...

Yeah her name is Satch....

And I got the biggest confidence boost earlier. I told you cats way back that I'm gonna do something with myself this year, started around my birthday on the 20 the of Sept. Any who I have been hitting the waits every other day for the last 2 mos. Man I walked past a mirror at the barbershop and did a damn double take. I saw some results. And then a friend of mine who I hadn't seen in months told me "goddamn what did you do, you look good". The wife has been feeling on my arms as well. A lot more. Man I'm more motivated.

Silky

Banned

Looked it up; Black Athena is apparently a book on the African/Asian culture and what influences it had on the greek civilization. it's apparently pretty controversial?

And I got the biggest confidence boost earlier. I told you cats way back that I'm gonna do something with myself this year, started around my birthday on the 20 the of Sept. Any who I have been hitting the waits every other day for the last 2 mos. Man I walked past a mirror at the barbershop and did a damn double take. I saw some results. And then a friend of mine who I hadn't seen in months told me "goddamn what did you do, you look good". The wife has been feeling on my arms as well. A lot more. Man I'm more motivated.

Nice, man

Looked it up; Black Athena is apparently a book on the African/Asian culture and what influences it had on the greek civilization. it's apparently pretty controversial?

Yeah, I'm thinking about checking it out. Light on reading material right now.

ReiGun

Black Athena: The Afroasiatic Roots of Classical Civilization is a controversial three-volume scholarly work by Martin Bernal. He discusses ancient Greece in a new light. Bernal's thesis discusses the perception of ancient Greece in relation to Greece's African and Asiatic neighbors, especially the ancient Egyptians and Phoenicians who, he believes, colonized ancient Greece.
Bernal proposes that a change in the Western perception of Greece took place from the 18th century onward and that this change fostered a subsequent denial by Western academia of any significant African and Phoenician influence on ancient Greek civilization.
Although the influence of Egyptian and Near Eastern civilizations on ancient Greece is not controversial in either ancient or modern Greek historiography, the Afrocentric claims contained in Black Athena have been described as pseudohistory by Ronald H. Fritze.
Thank you, Google.

Solid AC4 endorsements. It is bought.

You're thinking of Nubia.

Though, Black Athena should be someone's supervillain.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
It's amazing how people don't believe black people can be light skinned.

I guess I would give most of them a heart attack.

Order

Good job man.

Spinluck

It's amazing how people don't believe black people can be light skinned.

I guess I would give most of them a heart attack.

what exactly do you mean by this?

is it the notion that a black person who is light skinned must be mixed to some degree? because no offense, i thought that was usually the case.

RedSwirl

image.php

Spinluck

Both of my parents are pretty dark and yet my skin is pretty light. Light tan, even. I'm nowhere near mixed.

Because, here, that usually translates into stuff like "I thought Beyonce was white."

10/10
It's not.

Crazy genetics, man. There are people in my family lighter than either parent.

i knew it was certainly possible to have lighter skin, and have darker parents or no trace of it being a common thing in your family. i just assumed more often than not they were mixed, which was a poor assumption on my part lol.

and lol at the beyonce is white thing, i think i can recall actually seeing shit like that on gaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom