• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone that loves defense this super bowl was everything I knew it could be.

As someone who hates anything John Elway breathes on, this super bowl was everything I could have hoped it could be.

Is anyone going to make a BHM thread?

I think we talk about making one every year. I think the hesitation is about the inevitable stress it invites. It's draining addressing race issues.

Just thinking about it made me tired right then.

Enzom21

Depends if you think GAF is gonna read it. It'll probably turn out like that BHM episode of Family Matters with the whole school beefin' with each other.

do it

They'll more than likely not read it... I would like to post some pictures and information like this to start:
Charles Young was born March 12, 1864, in Mayslick, Kentucky, the son of former slaves. His father enlisted as a private in the Fifth Regiment of the Colored Artillery (Heavy) Volunteers. When Young’s parents moved across the river to Ripley, Ohio, he attended the white high school. He graduated at the age of 16 and was the first black to graduate with honors. Following graduation, he taught school in the black high school of Ripley.
While engaged in teaching, he had an opportunity to enter a competitive examination for appointment as a cadet at West Point. Young was successful, making the second highest score, and in 1883 reported to the military academy. Young graduated with his commission, the third black man to do so at that time. He was assigned to the Tenth and the Seventh Cavalry where he was promoted to first lieutenant. His subsequent service of 28 years was with black troops — the Twenty-fifth U.S. Infantry and the Ninth U.S. Cavalry.

In 1903 Young served as captain of a black company at the Presidio, San Francisco. He was appointed acting superintendent of Sequoia and General Grant national parks, thus becoming the first black superintendent of a national park.

071812_2318_AfricanAmer55.jpg

1863 - A group of escaped slaves that gathered on the former plantation of Confederate General Thomas Drayton. After Federal troops occupied the plantation, these former slaves began to harvest and gin cotton for their own profit.

Corbis-IH137863.jpg

A six piece integrated orchestra made up of African Americans and whites in Georgia, 1890s.

Corbis-IH155627.jpg

Once everyone is sucked in with the nice sanitized history I start posting things like this:
More than 3,000 African-American protesters marched on the streets of Washington carrying signs urging control and halting of the lynching of blacks. Federal intervention was sought so that the series of hangings and killings of blacks by whites might be curbed. The paraders also sought for proper protection to be provided for all African-American prisoners. The protester in front carries a picture of a man hanging, over the words, "Is this civilization?" The one behind carries a placard reading, "Congress discusses constitutionality while the smoke of human bodies darkens the heavens."

Corbis-BE044589.jpg

Corbis-BE044583.jpg

Corbis-BE044587.jpg

10155_507233666004348_1967829494_n.jpg

541544_581406398545920_406391179_n.jpg

Edit:
I think we talk about making one every year. I think the hesitation is about the inevitable stress it invites. It's draining addressing race issues.

Yeah... maybe it isn't the best idea.

Can we discuss how beautiful the second Aunt Viv was?

Daphne Maxwell, 19, of New York, when she was named Northwestern University's Homecoming Queen October 20th 1967.
Daphne, was the first African American ever to be named Homecoming Queen.

Corbis-U1572111.jpg

You know how about we all find a fact that we want to put out there, consolidate it all here and after we do it we call it "BCT presents: BHM unfiltered". We could make it about little known facts and have one of us post a thread.

But again im exhausted here at work so.... im typing out of my ass.

As someone who hates anything John Elway breathes on, this super bowl was everything I could have hoped it could be.

Yeah but all those other years did we have these avs?

J10

Banned
One time I had a friend who caught me watching Judging Amy and he swore that Richard T. Jones was Taye Diggs. I couldn't convince him otherwise.

That is my contribution to Black History Month.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I was tempted to start making random "black history spotlight" threads about people, starting with bass reeves

then I didn't

then I realized I would probably just be going through the black people on the badass of the week website anyway

BHZ Mayor

Fuck that. We got these avatars for a reason. We celebrating Black History. Let's make these threads. Slayven wouldn't have wanted us to go out like this. He would've made 3 threads by now.

Man I had a dumb moment, so I was always a Jhene fan even back in the day when she was nothing more than random vocal #6 for B2K. But I'm sad that it JUST hit me that Mila J/Japollonia was her sister.

Mila%2BJ%2BPNG%2B700x814.png

Shout out to their dad for being an old school Operation Caliphate soldier.

Mumei

Fuck that. We got these avatars for a reason. We celebrating Black History. Let's make these threads. Slayven wouldn't have wanted us to go out like this. He would've made 3 threads by now.

I was thinking just last week that it might be nice to have a thread dedicated to suggestions educational material - documentaries, books, essays - that people can engage with to educate themselves. And BHM seems as good a time as any to say, "Hey, just realized you know almost nothing about black history or politics? Read these books."

RedSwirl

You know how about we all find a fact that we want to put out there, consolidate it all here and after we do it we call it "BCT presents: BHM unfiltered". We could make it about little known facts and have one of us post a thread.

But again im exhausted here at work so.... im typing out of my ass.

I wonder how many people know cotton continued to be picked on southern fields up until around the 1980's.

J10

Banned
I just remembered like 6-7 years ago I found a website dedicated to discrediting black inventors, and only black inventors. I think the entire premise was that sympathetic white inventors were falsely attributing their inventions to struggling black people - either that or they were preempted by white inventors elsewhere who weren't properly credited. The guy running it even went so far as to remove all the black inventors from Wikipedia, using his own site as a source, but the edits have reverted since.

It used to be here: http://www33.brinkster.com/iiiii/inventions/ but the page doesn't exist anymore. Google probably has it cached.

Coca Cola, Maseratti, and Cheerios.

That's a great idea Mumei.

Oh, yea I forgot about those Cheerios and Maseratti commercials.

I read an article about the Coca Cola one this morning and that was on my mind. People are acting a fool about speaking English and they can barely spell.

I do have to say that the pre-game stuff was more patriotic than I remember it being in the past. I thought they were going to read all the amendments at some point.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Someone should make the thread.

I read this a few days ago and forgot to post it. It's easy to sympathize with.

Really is.

If it's not what he was describing, then it's someone on the net, "needing to see facts," because they took one statistics class. You could put a let me google that link with whatever info, to come to the same conclusion, and avoid being the majority speaker for the house of nonexistant black folks.

Hell, Zimmerman, whom is hispanic, was the face for racist fucks everywhere, for killing an unarmed black kid (read; thug), is a celebrity. Then you have all of these ads and films like the Hunger Games, bringing out idiots in droves, and NYPD's activities and things of that nature.

It goes from let me help you see these issues to, how many more examples do we all need before we all sit and realize how things are for not only minorities, but the lgbt and women(this boggles my mind more than race). You need to get people to see the now, before the past, and unfortunately to many take it as an assassination of character.

Annoying all around.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I was thinking just last week that it might be nice to have a thread dedicated to suggestions educational material - documentaries, books, essays - that people can engage with to educate themselves. And BHM seems as good a time as any to say, "Hey, just realized you know almost nothing about black history or politics? Read these books."

Couldn't agree more

RedSwirl

I read this a few days ago and forgot to post it. It's easy to sympathize with.

I think that article just summed up the entire thought process that goes through my head whenever I find myself in a position to talk about race. I think what that article talks about is something I've subconsciously known for years, like an instinctive reaction that began the first time I sighed upon being asked to talk about black people. It's the reason I don't even click on those kinds of threads on OT. I don't know if it's laziness, but I just don't feel I have the strength to actually try to educate people on shit like that. Maybe I just don't feel like it's my responsibility. Maybe I should keep a repertoire of articles to link whenever the time comes.

Another contribution is the
-PBS documentary Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson.
-Avery Brooks originally starred in 12 years a slave also on PBS.
-Lonnie George Johnson, inventor of the SuperSoaker reinvested his earnings into an energy company. He holds over 80 patents.
-The first ROM cartridge video game system, the Fairchild Channel F, was invented by Jerry Lawson. He also developed one of the first arcade games, Demolition Derby.
-Walter Sammons holds the patent on the hot comb.

I was tempted to start making random "black history spotlight" threads about people, starting with bass reeves

then I didn't

then I realized I would probably just be going through the black people on the badass of the week website anyway

You pulled the trigger and it was a clean shot. Preciate you doing this. The floodgates are open folks. Let's do this. We don't have them interracial avys for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom