• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Because, here, that usually translates into stuff like "I thought Beyonce was white."

Pretty much lol Beyonce tho...

Jason_Bright.jpg

Both of my parents are pretty dark and yet my skin is pretty light. Light tan, even. I'm nowhere near mixed.

Lol

Same here but I am mixed (though most black from both sides of my family). I got my skin from my grandmother. Not sure which one... though one of them gave me red hair and the other made me tall and clumsy lol

what exactly do you mean by this?

is it the notion that a black person who is light skinned must be mixed to some degree? because no offense, i thought that was usually the case.

Its fine :)

My siblings and me are all mixed with the same genes but we vary by shade lol

My older sister is dark like my father, my younger sister and brother are somewhere in the middle with my mom and I'm left out in the cold but luckily I have my grandmas. Lol

Either way, I consider myself black but respect all my heritage. I'm a person and my skin tone doesn't make me different from my family or others. ;3

Mr. Patch

The Wonderful 101 is fun but god damn, Nintendo needs let Kamiya make Star Fox or something so he stop with the space shooter segments.

Silky

Banned
The Wonderful 101 is fun but god damn, Nintendo needs let Kamiya make Star Fox or something so he stop with the space shooter segments.

He doesn't want to do it anymore because the fanbase pissed him off

dont really BLAME him the idiots who talk to him on Twitter would make me go insane.

akira28

Well, it's less about that and more about the fact that I don't think of Satch as being very shady. She's much too forthright for that.

different kind of shade. Satch can blot out a person's sunlight and cause them to have an identity eclipse.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

dont really BLAME him the idiots who talk to him on Twitter would make me go insane.

Yeah to be fair I kind of hate his fanbase too

Shit well you got me good.

As soon as the 'quote until they get banned train' started I was like, "oh shit." I'm not touching race threads any more despite the temptation. I'll have to enjoy them by proxy from here

He really needs to get off of there. Responding to YouTube convents would actually be an improvement compared to the crowd he deals with now

kyored

It's amazing how people don't believe black people can be light skinned.

I guess I would give most of them a heart attack.

I get this 50% of the time. I'm:

1st. Native American
2nd. Hispanic / Latino
3rd. Indian
4th. Layzie Bone
apparently he is his own race.
5th. then black

Mumei

Someone should make the thread.

I went through my Goodreads account and made two lists; one of things I've read and one of things I would like to read. I started with #4, which I would not recommend doing. If I were doing it over again, I probably would start with #2, then #1, then #9, then pick between #6, #8, or #5 depending on what interested me most.

Anyway:

Books I've read:

1. The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, by Michelle Alexander
  2. Racism without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality in the United States, by Eduardo Bonilla-Silva
  3. Dispossession: Discrimination against African American Farmers in the Age of Civil Rights, by Pete Daniel
  4. The Souls of Black Folk, by W.E.B. Du Bois
  5. Is Bill Cosby Right?: Or Has the Black Middle Class Lost Its Mind?, by Michael Eric Dyson
  6. When Affirmative Action Was White: An Untold History of Racial Inequality in Twentieth-Century America, by Ira Katznelson
  7. Everyday Antiracism: Getting Real About Race in School, by Mica Pollock
  8. Killing the Black Body: Race, Reproduction, and the Meaning of Liberty, by Dorothy Roberts
  9. "Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?": A Psychologist Explains the Development of Racial Identity, by Beverly Daniel Tatum
  10. Ebony and Ivy: Race, Slavery, and the Troubled History of America's Universities, by Craig Steven Wilder
  11. White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son, by Tim Wise
  12. The Origins of American Slavery: Freedom and Bondage in the English Colonies, by Betty Wood

Books about race (sometimes intersecting with feminism or class) in the United States that I found by scrolling through my to-read list:

1. A Massacre in Memphis: The Race Riot That Shook the Nation One Year After the Civil War, by Stephen V. Ash
  2. Hate Thy Neighbor: Move-In Violence and the Persistence of Racial Segregation in American Housing, by Jeannine Bell
  3. Before the Mayflower: A History of Black America, by Lerone Bennett, Jr.
  4. War Against the Weak: Eugenics and America's Campaign to Create a Master Race, by Edwin Black
  5. Slavery by Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II, by Douglas A. Blackmon
  6. Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America, by Ayana Byrd
  7. Agents of Repression: The FBI's Secret Wars against the Black Panther Party & the American Indian Movement, by Ward Churchill
  8. Black Sexual Politics: African Americans, Gender, and the New Racism, by Patricia Hill Collins
  9. Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge, Consciousness, and the Politics of Empowerment, by Patricia Hill Collins
  10. Blues Legacies and Black Feminism: Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Billie Holiday, by Angela Y. Davis
  11. Women, Race, and Class, by Angela Y. Davis
  12. Black Visions: The Roots of Contemporary African-American Political Ideologies, by Michael C. Dawson
  13. Black Reconstruction in America 1860-1880, by W.E.B. Du Bois
  14. Creating Their Own Image: The History of African-American Women Artists, by Lisa E. Farrington
  15. Ida: A Sword among Lions: Ida B. Wells and the Campaign against Lynching, by Paula J. Giddings
  16. When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America, by Paula J. Giddings
  17. Unequal Freedom: How Race and Gender Shaped American Citizenship and Labor, by Evelyn Nakano Glenn
  18. The Mismeasure of Man, by Stephen Jay Gould
  19. The Black Family in Slavery and Freedom, 1750-1925, by Herbert George Gutman
  20. Word by Word: Emancipation and the Act of Writing, by Christopher Hager
  21. Making the Second Ghetto: Race and Housing in Chicago 1940-1960, by Arnold A. Hirsch
  22. Black Looks: Race and Representation, by bell hooks
  23. We Real Cool: Black Men and Masculinity, by bell hooks
  24. Bone Black: Memories of Girlhood, by bell hooks
  25. killing rage: Ending Racism, by bell hooks
  26. Ain't I a Woman: Black Women and Feminism, by bell hooks
  27. How the Irish Became White, by Noel Ignatiev
  28. Jim Crow's Children: The Broken Promise of the Brown Decision, by Peter H. Irons
  29. A Question of Manhood: A Reader in U.S. Black Men's History and Masculinity, The 19th Century: From Emancipation to Jim Crow, by Earnestine Jenkins
  30. Fear Itself: The New Deal and the Origins of Our Time, by Ira Katznelson
  31. For Discrimination: Race, Affirmative Action, and the Law, by Randall Kennedy
  32. Uprooting Racism: How White People Can Work for Racial Justice, by Paul Kivel
  33. The Shame of the Nation: The Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America, by Jonathan Kozol
  34. Unequal Childhoods: Class, Race, and Family Life, by Annette Lareau
  35. American Apartheid: Segregation and the Making of the Underclass, by Douglas S. Massey
  36. Bending Toward Justice: The Voting Rights Act and the Transformation of American Democracy, by Gary May
  37. At the Dark End of the Street: Black Women, Rape, and Resistance--A New History of the Civil Rights Movement from Rosa Parks to the Rise of Black Power, by Danielle L. McGuire
  38. The Origins of the Civil Rights Movements: Black Communities Organizing for Change, by Aldon D. Morris
  39. Family Properties: How the Struggle Over Race and Real Estate Transformed Chicago and Urban America, by Beryl Satter
  40. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
  41. Sweet Land of Liberty: The Forgotten Struggle for Civil Rights in the North, by Thomas J. Sugrue
  42. The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit, by Thomas J. Sugrue
  43. Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present, by Harriet A. Washington
  44. The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration, by Isabel Wilkerson
  45. The Strange Career of Jim Crow, by C. Vann Woodard

I think that article just summed up the entire thought process that goes through my head whenever I find myself in a position to talk about race. I think what that article talks about is something I've subconsciously known for years, like an instinctive reaction that began the first time I sighed upon being asked to talk about black people. It's the reason I don't even click on those kinds of threads on OT. I don't know if it's laziness, but I just don't feel I have the strength to actually try to educate people on shit like that. Maybe I just don't feel like it's my responsibility. Maybe I should keep a repertoire of articles to link whenever the time comes.

When I said, "Hey, just realized you know almost nothing about black history or politics?" as a rhetorical question to ask for a thread of self-education resources, that was actually almost exactly the conversation I had with myself. I had come to that realization sometime after a couple things happened: I came out and after reading about the history of homosexuality just how deliberately things had been hidden from me on that subject, simply by their omission in my education. After that, I read Lies My Teacher Told Me which made it abundantly clear that that sort of obfuscation, misrepresentation, whitewashing, and general nonsense was the rule and not the exception. I'd also become sensitive to the fact that I had been using issues of black civil rights in discussions about gay rights, while not really knowing all that much about said issues, or participating in threads about those issues. I had been doing so not so much to draw equivalences, but to highlight inconsistencies in other people's thinking - but I was bothered by that.

So, eventually something broke and I started trying to read more.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Tomorrow I finally find out the severity of my shoulder injury, guys.

:(

I liked feeling indestructible, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hear that I'm being held together by nothing but AR 670-1, chicken wire, and burning passion.

Order

I liked feeling indestructible, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hear that I'm being held together by nothing but AR 670-1, chicken wire, and burning passion.
I hope it's not too bad.

I get this 50% of the time. I'm:

1st. Native American
2nd. Hispanic / Latino
3rd. Indian
4th. Layzie Bone
apparently he is his own race.
5th. then black

No joke one of my best friend's use to get free food in Cleveland because people thought he was Layzie.

DY_nasty

Guys, I already know that I have a torn labrum and bicep at the very least lol

I'm really anticipating hearing something along the lines of "We want to donate your zombie-arm to science"

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

I hope everything works out for you. D:

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Mumei's research game is unfuckwithable.

I'm not sharp today, evidently. Carry on.

"Black History Month 2014 |OT| Clementine is black. RIP Malcolm, Martin and Rue"

lol

Damm. I hope it's not that bad.

DY_nasty

Mumei is awesome.

Once I knock out some work-related stuff, I'm gonna do myself the favor of re-upping on some of these. After I got out of college, I've largely neglected the opportunity to continue educating myself on African American history. I think I can at least knock out 3 of those this month.

J10

Banned

I'm really anticipating hearing something along the lines of "We want to donate your zombie-arm to science"

Walk out the doctor's office looking like Deathlok.

"We have a special projects division for soldiers like yourself. Now son do you still want to serve Uncle Sam...?"

You know that's gonna happen.

Mumei, one I actually don't see on the list that is related to the subject in an indirect kinda way:

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

Damn that sucks. Maybe it's meant to be that last sign to get your ass out? I don't know.

I'd off you a bro-hug, but I don't want to be the cause of your arm finally falling off.

Silky

Banned
Yeah to be fair I kind of hate his fanbase too

He really needs to get off of there. Responding to YouTube convents would actually be an improvement compared to the crowd he deals with now

It's sad that you're so open to answering questions and you get the same repetitive shit over and over and over.

I like asking the guy about his time developing stuff during his Clover days, though. Real interesting stuff. but the same 'fuck off' x infinity shit made me unfollow/mute the guy

Then again I try not to ask famous social-able gaming industry people stupid shit because lol common sense.

People can't be that uninformed about this overseas right? this is a troll, right? then again I know UK people that's never heard of black history month so im weary on commenting on these things. maybe some people are just that uninformed idk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom