• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
People can't be that uninformed about this overseas right? this is a troll, right? then again I know UK people that's never heard of black history month so im weary on commenting on these things. maybe some people are just that uninformed idk

I thought the UK observed its own Black History Month in October

Spinluck

Its fine :)

My siblings and me are all mixed with the same genes but we vary by shade lol

My older sister is dark like my father, my younger sister and brother are somewhere in the middle with my mom and I'm left out in the cold but luckily I have my grandmas. Lol

Either way, I consider myself black but respect all my heritage. I'm a person and my skin tone doesn't make me different from my family or others. ;3

i see i see.

btw, this is a true story:

my football coach back in high school was a very very light skin dude with green eyes. family was all darker than him from what i've seen, and his parents were also darker than him according to him. he is also the cousin of ex nfl qb daunte culpepper, and i think he was a practice squad rb for the seahawks back in the day.

he was usually a funny and pretty laid back, but he would say some pretty strange things at times. so every other day during the school week he'd chill out with some members of the team in the cafeteria during lunch time. one of the hang outs i remember pretty fondly because of what i'm about to say lol.

one of the topics eventually came down to one of the students asking him what he was mixed with, and then he revealed both his parents are black. he then went on to explain his light skin.. his explanation on light skin black people in general was something along the lines of, "back in the day when a slave owners wife was away, or got bored, they used to rape the female slaves and get them pregnant. how do you think there are so many light skinned black people walking around? it's in the genes".

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
i see i see.

btw, this is a true story:

my football coach back in high school was a very very light skin dude with green eyes. family was all darker than him from what i've seen, and his parents were also darker than him according to him. he is also the cousin of ex nfl qb daunte culpepper, and i think he was a practice squad rb for the seahawks back in the day.

he was usually a funny and pretty laid back, but he would say some pretty strange things at times. so every other day during the school week he'd chill out with some members of the team in the cafeteria during lunch time. one of the hang outs i remember pretty fondly because of what i'm about to say lol.

one of the topics eventually came down to one of the students asking him what he was mixed with, and then he revealed both his parents are black. he then went on to explain his light skin.. his explanation on light skin black people in general was something along the lines of, "back in the day when a slave owners wife was away, or got bored, they used to rape the female slaves and get them pregnant. how do you think there are so many light skinned black people walking around? it's in the genes".

Interesting story!

It's nice that he explained the history behind a lot of the differences in our skin colors because it's true in some cases (not all though). Thanks for sharing. :3

Personal story; My grandma told me that her grandmother was involved with a European, so I asked her from where and if she knew his name. She didn't but she said she remembered him being referred to as a "Frenchman". I don't know if they were in love or not but at some point the light skin trait started from there. She was a slave though so I'm not sure if love would have really been a factor.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Thread is just embarrassing.

According to that thread I must be half white, as well as my mother and her mother and father, and my grand mother on my father's side. Some random white dude keeps impregnating the women of my family.......HELP!

Too late brother

Can't be black if you have cream in your coffee

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I decided to watch Hello Ladies and it's like Dating-Age as a TV series.

It's really cringeworthy amusing comedy.

FreeMufasa

My family is weird. We're 100% black/African and can trace our ancestry 200 years back. But my mom is extremely light skinned. Coupled with East African facial features people are shocked when she Tells them she's black. Both her parents and all her sibling are snipes black. My dad too.

My older brother is almost as light as my mom. I'm as dark as my my dad and all my other bros and sis are somewhere in between. We're almost like a full spectrum of brown :lol. Me and my big bro look similar so people always think we got different dads or something. Shit I still got trauma from my childhood being called the ugly one/evil/burnt etc......

Especially in my families culture, the lighter ur skin and the softer ur hair, the better looking you are. My hairs extremely nappy compared to all my bros who got the mixed race type soft fro. I got girls and attemtion still but no one will ever know how hard it is to hear you're ugly based on typical black features.......from your parents. Imagine getting racism outside in a predominantly white area then coming home and getting the same from the fam......shit used to kill me.

So I got militant. Decided to empower myself and had the "fuck white people attitude". Went from inferiority complex to anger and hate over night. I dropped that in my late teens as I came to respect myself, my heritage and shit, life is too short to live with hate. I'm proud to be black. People say it's stupid to be proud of something you have no control over but I feel like battled achieve the right to say that.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
that thread. carmelita fox and a koopa girl are black now?

black history month is a fucking go

J10

Banned
I was a white baby. Not light skinned. White like my mom. My parents had already had two daughters who came out dark and had an even mix of their features, so folks would tease them saying I wasn't his baby. I eventually got darker as I got older, but I still don't really look black. Everyone assumes Latino.

His family lived in the south, but they never had a problem with him marrying a white woman, at least not to my knowledge. A few of them have even tried to reconnect with us in recent years and he's been dead since '86. I don't associate with them, so I have no real concept of their stances on race issues aside from them appearing to not be assholes from a distance.

My mom, a Sicilian, is in her 60's now and still has siblings she doesn't talk to because of him. Some of them have died before attempting to reconcile. The racism runs DEEP in some corners of her family. I'm talking like not even acknowledging each others presence at family gatherings in the earlier years. Eventually the more liberal majority stopped inviting them to shit altogether. Some of her siblings married Jewish and Puerto Rican and never got shit for it.

That selective tolerance shit is weird.

that thread. carmelita fox and a koopa girl are black now?

black history month is a fucking go
Wait, are Koopa black? That paints the Mario Bros. series in a whole new (and sinister) light as a commentary on race relations...
Especially in my families culture, the lighter ur skin and the softer ur hair, the better looking you are. My hairs extremely nappy compared to all my bros who got the mixed race type soft fro. I got girls and attemtion still but no one will ever know how hard it is to hear you're ugly based on typical black features.......from your parents. Imagine getting racism outside in a predominantly white area then coming home and getting the same from the fam......shit used to kill me.
Not getting the validation and support you need from your home environment definitely has an effect on you. People tend to internalize self-hatred and then propagate those beliefs. I know how I myself felt when I got bullied for being pale--growing up in the Middle East--and accused of wearing make-up by some kids in school, followed by my mom telling me that being so white is ugly and should go out and tan, and how that affected my self-image. (Granted, this is more from a perspective of prejudice rather than oppressive racism, but I wanted to make a--perhaps inappropriate or selfish--personal analogy. The bottom line was the rejection of one's birth characteristics by others.) I find beauty in diversity and accepting what color one may come in. It only stresses to me how important positive reinforcement, imagery, and role models are for those who are underrepresented in society when they might need it the most. No one should be made to feel lesser for what they are born with.

I feel that learning to cooperate and communicate with people from various, diverse backgrounds in a positive environment at an early age has helped shape who I am as a person. Schools could do a lot more for trying to address the issues that still persist and make efforts towards fostering such an environment. Like, learning about different cultural groups, and bridging them. Alas.

after reading that walking dead thread, 90% gaf born in Wyoming confirmed

I've been entertained. There was a time when I felt like I'd need to do something. Pontificate some shit that would change minds and worlds. Explain the complexities of the issues being touched on with so much detail, the effort itself would drain away my precious post-work energy reserve. Post photos and book excerpts.

Not anymore. Now it's all just entertaining. I can't stem the tide of ridiculousness, so now I just offer book references that people won't read to find out information about things they honestly don't give a shit about.

Who has time.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I've been entertained. There was a time when I felt like I'd need to do something. Pontificate some shit that would change minds and worlds. Explain the complexities of the issues being touched on with so much detail, the effort itself would drain away my precious post-work energy reserve. Post photos and book excerpts.

Not anymore. Now it's all just entertaining. I can't stem the tide of ridiculousness, so now I just offer book references that people won't read to find out information about things they honestly don't give a shit about.

Who has time.
There are some people willing to listen and I've usually got some time for them. Those people aren't on gaming side though.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I almost started crying when this was pointed out. Like, I saw the post that mentioned them and everything but I did not notice.

God damn it GAF

Yeah I saw the post too

but the idea that someone searched for it like it was typical racist shit and it being in that thread was too much. Nothing made me laugh harder than that

Yesterday was truly entertaining.

Today however...the hypocrisy in that bullying thread. Several people who routinely shit on others. Obviously the anonymity and lack of real world interaction make things different but still...

Schools need to step the fuck up and watch out for these kids.

Man lol, I think I'll just give up on that Clementine thread. It's too much and I'm honestly surprised that it's still going.

Yesterday was truly entertaining.

Today however...the hypocrisy in that bullying thread. Several people who routinely shit on others. Obviously the anonymity and lack of real world interaction make things different but still...

Schools need to step the fuck up and watch out for these kids.

Yeah, I'm lurking that bullying thread too. A lot of hypocrisy, and the bans in that thread were pretty justified.

Item Box

How are people coming to the conclusion that she's half Asian? her mom doesn't even look it from the image that you see in the game

Kreed

How are people coming to the conclusion that she's half Asian? her mom doesn't even look it from the image that you see in the game

Cartoons, video games, and comics have always had this issue with black people and showing different skin tones/physical features. Particularly if the medium is heavily stylized (manga/anime).

Most of the time these mediums only use one brown skin tone to portray all black people, and maybe an extra identifying feature (bigger lips, bigger nose). So when other characters are introduced with a different skin tone or physical features that don't match this, the general assumption is that they are from another ethnic group. Then there's how the character behaves, with many mediums choosing to have the black character "sound/act black" so people assume all black characters in the game must behave this way, and the ones that don't aren't black.

TL;DR, if you aren't paper bag brown or darker, have big lips/noses, and aren't voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson or Phil LaMarr, you aren't black in a video game.

Gorillaz

Whoever in here was talking about Attack on Titan a few months back, good shit because I just caught the first 3 episodes last night on netflilx and it ain't bad.

harSon

Banned
That Clementine thread is so fucking stupid, Jesus. Like there's some predetermined blueprint for how the fuck a kid is supposed to pop out looking.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
We're never getting tones other than dark and darker in character creators guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom