• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to high school with a mixed girl that self-identified as white and she was clowned by both sides white and black until college. I have no idea what kid of mental anguish she was dealing with then and now.

Doesn't shock me, which is why when people go “herp derp why do black people claim everyone is black/cling to the one drop rule.” It's because the majority will always be quick to remind a mixed child that at the very end of the day they don't see you as white, they still see you as black. Their only community will be coincidentally the black community, you might get shade thrown in the form of light skin jokes, but at the very end of the day they're the ones who accept you and consider you a brother/sister. Point in case Obama, so many people in the US are quick to be like “herp derp, why do people keep calling Obama black? He's also half white!” And all one has to do is look at how he's been treated his entire life and how people have viewed him and it's not hard to figure it out. The number of people in the US who would accept him if he went around saying he is a "white man" is much smaller than the number of people who accept/treat/assume he's just another “black man”. Those mixed kids will only be treated as white if they can pass for white, but if you're a mixed kid who can't pass for white (majority of mixed kids). Then it's pretty pointless to try and identify as white because the vast majority aren't going to accept you as such.

One drop rule was inflicted upon us, and is still used to this day. Black people have only embraced it as a form of solidarity.

At least that's my take on it

/shrug.

I wouldn't mind some literature that interviews half-white/half-black individuals and their takes on their race, experiences, etc. From my own limited perspective region, ability to pass and generation culminates in all kinds of different experiences for each of them.

Slayven

lol so you really did get banned for that "hello" that in that real pic January thread?
yep.
Doesn't shock me, which is why when people go “herp derp why do black people claim everyone is black/cling to the one drop rule.” It's because the majority will always be quick to remind a mixed child that at the very end of the day they don't see you as white, they still see you as black. Their only community will be coincidentally the black community, you might get shade thrown in the form of light skin jokes, but at the very end of the day they're the ones who accept you and consider you a brother/sister. Point in case Obama, so many people in the US are quick to be like “herp derp, why do people keep calling Obama black? He's also half white!” And all one has to do is look at how he's been treated his entire life and how people have viewed him and it's not hard to figure it out. The number of people in the US who would accept him if he went around saying he is a "white man" is much smaller than the number of people who accept/treat/assume he's just another “black man”. Those mixed kids will only be treated as white if they can pass for white, but if you're a mixed kid who can't pass for white (majority of mixed kids). Then it's pretty pointless to try and identify as white because the vast majority aren't going to accept you as such.

One drop rule was inflicted upon us, and is still used to this day. Black people have only embraced it as a form of solidarity.

/shrug.

I call it the popo test. If there is a chance you might get beat for no reason by a policeman stopping you, than you are black.

harSon

Banned

/shrug.

That's an understatement Lol. I received so much shit for being mixed growing up haha

cdyhybrid

I was pretty fortunate growing up, I'm mixed too (Asian/White though) but grew up around a decent amount of other mixed people. I think the biggest problems I experienced were in my head, trying to iron out what I identified myself as.

Silky

Banned
I've seen more people get flak at being simply light skinned than being mixed during my childhood. Constant belittling/insulting towards light skinned people from the darker ones.

You'd think we were stealing their women

Tokubetsu

Important:
i13aHP5.jpg

Jai x Jaa (They're training for a film)

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I've seen more people get flak at being simply light skinned than being mixed during my childhood. Constant belittling/insulting towards light skinned people from the darker ones.

You'd think we were stealing their women

are u from the south ? cause in my area anyway it was the compete opposite.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I'm originally from Chicago. I recently moved to the South

yeah I was thinking it would change depending on which region. now days the jokes do seem to go both ways. so I guess that's some form of progress lol.

I need some time to think

I mean people have already posted Sazh and Deejay so we got the the bottom of the barrel pretty damn quick

Aside from visual design (what can you expect from a bunch of desk jockeys who have no interaction with black people), Sazh himself was a good character, I felt.

DeeJay is just typical Capcom coonery

So my uncle from California shows up here in Florida unexpectedly today. Why? His ex-wife and her husband and kids are going to move around her family in Indiana. Why? They think the end times are coming and will start with Obamacare in March. So now I guess he's going to stay with us until his family gets a place to stay.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Oh no you didn't!

To be fair though the dialogue was pretty terrible for every character in that game. Every character has the same problem Dante has where they exclusively communicate in one liners.

Baron pretty much just spouts black cliches in every scene he's in

This is all ignoring the fact that the only black character in the game is a pimp with a grill that says F*$K YOU

I was a huge fan of Platinum at the time but that game was easily the worse shit they've ever put out in that regard. They can do alot better.(and have. 101's localization was fantastic)

I just feel that if we're gonna celebrate black characters in games, we gotta draw a line for shit like Cole Train and Black Baron. I mean that shit is why people don't expect Alyx and Clementine to be black.

That said I thought of one that I'll post.

Slayven

Could do a comics civil rights thread, but rrealized every example would kind of funny. Like how Marvel JFK gave the the most powerful black man a white woman so he would retire from superheroing.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
On GAF, post your favorite black characters = post every game character that is black

Yes, Baron sucks

And Knuckles and Piccolo because LOL

Cot dam, Mathilda is a hood rat in English

Yeah I couldn't tell if she was supposed to be a hood rat or sound like Harley Quinn

I gave and will continue to give them the benefit of the doubt. I have to. They're the only ones making single player games I want to play anymore.

And Knuckles and Piccolo because LOL

Yeah I couldn't tell if she was supposed to be a hood rat or sound like Harley Quinn

I gave and will continue to give them the benefit of the doubt. I have to. They're the only ones making single player games I want to play anymore.

Thing with localization and voice acting, it varies wildly from dev to dev, publisher to publisher, and market to market how much money, interest, and talent is put it. Bayonetta, as far as I know, was in English from the start and I'm good with those voices, but a lot of other games...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom