• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not estae shot blish a non-profit that hires volunteers who provide oral sex to raise money for children in needm or even donates it to charities/research organizations? Perhaps the world is not ready for such a fundraising model, though.

So essentially pimpin.

But can't you see a non profit Iceberg Slim. This motherfucker would make them commercials like feed the children/Sally Struthers.

"With just one blowjob a day you too can feed a starving child for a day. Just one shot in the mouth can supply a weeks worth of pampers to needy hood children" all the while showing a montage of kids with some sad ass "In the arms of an angel" playing.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
My boy sent me this, i had to read it twice lol

7U1UXfc.jpg

huh.gif

Mumei

Stanford historian re-examines practice of racial 'passing'

Dr. Albert Johnston grew up in Chicago, attended the University of Chicago Medical School in the 1920s, and went on to become a radiologist in a small town in New Hampshire. He and his wife were black – a fact they initially hid so that Johnston could secure an internship – and for 20 years, they kept this secret from their neighbors, and even their children.

After the United States entered World War II, Johnston effectively "outed" himself by applying for the Navy. He was rejected because of his racial background, and word of his mixed-race roots spread. What motivated Johnston to sacrifice his social status and job security? Was it wartime patriotism, or something else: a desire to have the truth out in the open?

Questions like these have motivated the latest research project of Stanford history Professor Allyson Hobbs. The Johnstons' story is one of the many instances of racial "passing" – the practice in which light-skinned African Americans chose to present themselves as white – that Hobbs profiles in her upcoming book, A Chosen Exile: A History of Racial Passing (Harvard University Press, 2014).

Passing is a subject that historians have taken up before, but Hobbs' work stands apart by approaching the phenomenon from a new angle. Even as she narrates the personal experiences of those who passed, she uses the wider phenomenon of passing to chart changing perceptions of racial difference in America.

Historians tend to think of passing as "an individualistic and opportunistic practice; a tool for getting ahead," Hobbs said. But cases like that of the Johnstons convinced Hobbs that there was another side to the story: that many who successfully "crossed over" did so with a heavy conscience.

"I'm not as interested in what people gained by being white, but rather in what they lost by not being black," Hobbs said. "To understand passing we can't just look at the story of the person who passed, we have to look at their whole social world, because everyone is going to be impacted."

Hobbs' book, then, is notable both for its sweeping historical scope – from antebellum America to the present – and for its intimate glimpses into individual lives.

Drawing from a range of source documents, including slave narratives, family archives, small-town historical societies' materials and magazines such as Life and Ebony, Hobbs details the sometimes triumphant, sometimes tragic stories of those who passed as white.

I just learned about this. It's coming out this fall, and it sounds very interesting.

Snow damn near turned Georgia into Fallout 4

I got cocky coming home from work. Decided to pull into the post office to drop off a letter and went into the lot even though the exit and entrance to the lot weren't plowed. Got in fine but leaving I basically beached my car. 20 min of digging (I keep my shovel in the backseat this time of year) and was still stuck. Luckily some random dude appeared out of nowhere and gave me a push to help me get out.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Stanford historian re-examines practice of racial 'passing'

I just learned about this. It's coming out this fall, and it sounds very interesting.

Very interested in this. The clementine thread actually made me think a bit about this. Why do most mixed black and white people seem to identify as black? I was curious about examples of mixed people self-identifying as white.

So this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Will keep an eye out for this.

Very interested in this. The clementine thread actually made me think a bit about this. Why do most mixed black and white people seem to identify as black? I was curious about examples of mixed people self-identifying as white.

So this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Will keep an eye out for this.

MIxed black and Puerto Rican here, but raised only by mom's side (the black side), so it was just much easier to fit in.

Seems like it might be that way for black/white biracial people too.

Slayven

I got cocky coming home from work. Decided to pull into the post office to drop off a letter and went into the lot even though the exit and entrance to the lot weren't plowed. Got in fine but leaving I basically beached my car. 20 min of digging (I keep my shovel in the backseat this time of year) and was still stuck. Luckily some random dude appeared out of nowhere and gave me a push to help me get out.

Why do southern people clean out the grocery store when they know the snow will last 2 days tops? The mere threat of snow has old ladies shanking people for ramen noodles.

BHZ Mayor

I'm wondering if it's a combination of mixed people usually having more dominant black features (from what I've seen) and the one-drop rule (for those that could pass).

So DMX is fighting Zimmerman eh? I can't believe this bullshit. Instead of just leaving this fool to fall into obscurity black folks had to bite. Not only that, but this is the person that gets chosen. Watch Zimmy win too.

Trolling minorities x1000

Everybody takes an L from this shit.
Yep. Though if he can beat DMX, makes certain past fights appear like even more bullshit.

DominoKid

Man when the fuck did fast food get so expensive.

I'm sitting in Wendys with that new Cibatta Bacon double Burger (good btw) combo and this shit is damn near $9 just for a small combo.

Black history month.

Anyone getting caught up nowadays is a damn fool. If I got a 8 figure contract. Freeze some sperm and get snipped.
They have an awesome and easily reversible procedure in Europe. It's not approved in the US yet, but a quick trip overseas wouldn't be a problem for an 8 figure dude.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Black history month.

Anyone getting caught up nowadays is a damn fool. If I got a 8 figure contract. Freeze some sperm and get snipped.

Tie dem tubes, freeze some, play away. When ready to have kids, if the procedure hasn't irrevocably removed chances of that, untie and away you go.

Freezing is just in case.

Trey

Tie dem tubes, freeze some, play away. When ready to have kids, if the procedure hasn't evocably removed chances of that, untie and away you go.

Freezing is just in case.

These young men think they're invincible. That it wouldn't happen to them.

I know if I were a professional athlete I'd be in danger. I've had a few scares already and I'm just another dude. It's all too easy to just say freeze your sperm or always use a condom. A good friend of mine got a vasectomy and I thought he was pretty young for all that (22 at the time).

Why is Battlefield 4 such shit. It freezes every other match.

It could be passed off as a tribute to Valentine's day/month tho lol

All the better if someone is so oblivious they think the avs are about Vday. MIxing forever alone and racially messed up GAF. Sure there's no overlap.

Kreed

I caught a glimpse of heaven once. The Angels showed me. The idea was I'd simp for them. Buying things off of wishlists. Eventually redeem myself.

Tried it. Didn't like it. Told them where to stick it. So they brought me up to heaven, to see what I'd be missing. Redheads. Spicy Popeyes on tap. Frank Quietly hands shattered. All my hopes and dreams given form. Then I was cast down.

Back to a world of Sonic Fans. Wii U buyers. Loli Defenders. Fathers that refuse to claim their kids . A brand new stupid post every minute, spewed out as fast as posters can think them up. A world where buying a Vita is the best way to tell the crabs you are back.. The angels thought it would be hell for me.

They were wrong.

So they kept ViewtifulJC and sent you back?

I went to high school with a mixed girl that self-identified as white and she was clowned by both sides white and black until college. I have no idea what kid of mental anguish she was dealing with then and now.

Slayven

I imagined Esco been laughing his ass off the lass week. So many thread showcasing people with no idea how businesses work, let alone the game industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom