• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
That feel when you have to post a fighting game character because he somehow manages to exceed several tropes.

Those are the only games where a black character can be a main character really. The games with 20-30 simultaneous main characters lol

And even then it's disappointing to see that most fall into one of two categories: The Stoic professional (Raven, Venom, Lucian in League of Legends) or straight coon status.(Deejay, Black Baron, Lucky Glauber)

Those are the only games where a black character can be a main character really. The games with 20-30 simultaneous main characters lol

And even then it's disappointing to see that most fall into one of two categories: The Stoic professional (Raven, Venom, Lucian in League of Legends) or straight coon status.(Deejay, Black Baron, Lucky Glauber)

Truer words were never spoken. Similar veins with female ones. Sexpot or boring tomboy, you decide.

Silky

Banned
I really like Seth from KOF because he's a character that different artists in SNK seem to characterize very poorly or very amazingly.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
wait, is potemkin black? i assumed venom could be, but he never crossed my mind

and people posting all black characters(regardless of being cool) and literal black ones?

the blue marvel got robbed by the time he lived in, and was given a white woman as a consolation prize

I got my Bravely Default CE today so ignorant peckerwoods aren't snatching my high, but cot dam...

Some people just need to stick their fingers in everything.

Gotta wait til the 11th to get mine. Unless by an act of God it come Friday.

That black char thread wasn't as bad as I thought it could have been. Was 3 hours late and still found someone to offer.

Gotta wait til the 11th to get mine. Unless by an act of God it come Friday.

That black char thread wasn't as bad as I thought it could have been. Was 3 hours late and still found someone to offer.

I'm going to have to go through my games once I get home to see if I can think of anymore...

Not just quota fillers, Talented Tens

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Baron is as much of a coon as Bayonetta is a slut

Difference between the two is that Bayonetta is entirely in control of her situation. She's never the butt of a joke and all the other characters are there to serve her needs in the game. I.E give her weapons, information make her look cool etc. She's like a female version of the male power fantasy in video games. The world revolves around her and her actions in the game

Baron on the other hand in the rare moment that he's not cooning it up and acting like a fool, is getting bitched out by Jack and laughed at by females before getting his ass beat by them. I can forgive some coonery if the character displays some level of competence in other moments.(Like in the original Mad world the boss fight and him being the #1 ranked fighter made up for all the other shit) Blacker Baron never gets there. He's exclusively comic relief, the MC's foil, a punching bag and a simp at every moment.

Like real talk at the end of AR I couldn't even be mad at Baron. I just legit felt sorry for the guy. Suicide to me is never an option but I mean if I was BB I don't know...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Someone just posted Grimace made in a character creator so it'd just be a step backwards at this point

DominoKid

Baby Mama
Daniela.jpg

i understand.

actually no i don't but i can imagine
AlDVnvd.png

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Difference between the two is that Bayonetta is entirely in control of her situation. She's never the butt of a joke and all the other characters are there to serve her needs in the game. I.E give her weapons, information make her look cool etc. She's like a female version of the male power fantasy in video games. The world revolves around her and her actions in the game

Baron on the other hand in the rare moment that he's not cooning it up and acting like a fool, is getting bitched out by Jack and laughed at by females before getting his ass beat by them. I can forgive some coonery if the character displays some level of competence in other moments.(Like in the original Mad world the boss fight and him being the #1 ranked fighter made up for all the other shit) Blacker Baron never gets there. He's exclusively comic relief, the MC's foil, a punching bag and a simp at every moment.

Like real talk at the end of AR I couldn't even be mad at Baron. I just legit felt sorry for the guy. Suicide to me is never an option but I mean if I was BB I don't know...
In a realm where everything is parody, the world is dying, gangs are run by a robot bull - a guy that's still pimping in throwbacks is perfect. Its completely deliberate coonery. Unlike Sazh, where no one can decide if he's being taken seriously (the devs or the audience) after a whole sequel. What kind of self-respecting black man lets a fucking bird set up shop in his hair? And he's supposed to be the voice of reason while being nothing more than a Jar Jar Binks whenever the story allows him to? Fuck that noise. Barrett is nothing more than runaway slave/Mr. T knockoff that literally can't attain a greater perspective on the world than his small-town view.

In an over the top, plastic case of a game like Anarchy Reigns - Baron is a perfect coon parody. Many couldn't nail that image if they tried.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I went to high school with a mixed girl that self-identified as white and she was clowned by both sides white and black until college. I have no idea what kid of mental anguish she was dealing with then and now.

Just seeing this

Sad. What's sadder is that this is about what I imagined.

Seems like if you're mixed and identify black both sides seem to accept you. Other way around though and both will probably mock you. Dat one drop.

I wonder why that is? Is it the perceived power of the dominant culture? What were some of the things they said to her if you don't mind me asking?(or if you even remember)

Imm0rt4l

I was mildly proud when The last metal gear game had black guy doing tech support.

I'm amused Kojima introduced a protagonist who was a child soldier in the Liberian army, but elected for the guy to be a lily white guy because reasons. Could have been a decent origin story if it wasn't so incredibly contrived, but that's metal gear.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm amused Kojima introduced a protagonist who was a child soldier in the Liberian army, but elected for the guy to be a lily white guy because reasons. Could have been a decent origin story if it wasn't so incredibly contrived, but that's metal gear.

I always figured that aspect of Raiden's character was Kojima underestimating his audience. Figured no one would remember about saving Olga's child or that that wasn't enough motivation to go along with the Patriots script or whatever, so they pulled that Luke I am your father shit with Solidus and Raiden to give the player a more overt motivation for fighting him I guess.

I mean he was right about his audience, but still. Weakest part of MGS2 by far right there.

and that's the aspect that they latched onto with Rising lol

Just seeing this

Sad. What's sadder is that this is about what I imagined.

Seems like if you're mixed and identify black both sides seem to accept you. Other way around though and both will probably mock you. Dat one drop.

I wonder why that is? Is it the perceived power of the dominant culture? What were some of the things they said to her if you don't mind me asking?(or if you even remember)

How I see it is

If you're mixed and you identify as white. Black people will clown you because to many you're disowning them for a group of people that will never see you as one of them unless you can "pass".

And white people will clown you because they don't see you as one of them if your black features are too dominate and you don't scream european.

I think this is unique to black/white relations, going with anecdotal evidence right now but one of my good friends is half white half Chinese. He identifies as white and no one bats an eye at that. If he were half white half black, I'd imagine he be clowned pretty hard by these same people.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is unique to black/white relations, going with anecdotal evidence right now but one of my good friends is half white half Chinese. He identifies as white and no one bats an eye at that. If he were half white half black, I'd imagine he be clowned pretty hard by these same people.

Is the perception of being mixed also something unique to black people?

I mean this could just be confirmation bias speaking but to me it always seemed like it's only an issue with black people. If you're light skinned people assume you're mixed and if you say you aren't then the thought in the back of their heads is something like "well your great great grandparents probably..."

but like when I see guys try and guess a girl's ethnicity when they're asian or hispanic they always just guess one. Never that they're mixed.

Unless they're mixed with black. Then there's all sorts of names like "Blasian" that people like to throw around.

Please tell me I'm full of shit here

I only use black characters in fighting games, Deeeeejaaay low tier warrior all day

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Tousen is blind, at least.

He's also the token in his bad guy group in more ways than one.

Like Aizen straight up tells us that the only reason he recruited Tousen is because his ability doesn't work on blind people. lol

Man fuck bleach

BHZ Mayor

Seeing as I'm late as fuck, I'm sure just about every black character, let alone the good ones, have been posted at this point. FFS gaming industry.

I've seen more people get flak at being simply light skinned than being mixed during my childhood. Constant belittling/insulting towards light skinned people from the darker ones.

You'd think we were stealing their women

In the 80's when i grew up. You were. Back then you caught heat for being darker skinned, then the culture movement happened again and dark skin became popular again and you got scenes in movies like Wesley Snipes stabbing Christopher Williams....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom