• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
He looking kind of Partitme.

Everyone should watch Leverage best cast of any show in the last 20 years. And a show you can watch over and over and still pick up something new

I'm currently watching season 5. Eliot and hardison really work off of each other damn well

Mumei

Bookmarked. Really need to dig into these.

Thanks Mumei

I found a few more for the to-read list in the last few days:

1. Whitewashing Race: The Myth of a Color-Blind Society, by Michael K. Brown, Elliott Currie
  2. Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution 1863-1877, by Eric Foner
  3. The Betrayal Of The Negro: From Rutherford B. Hayes To Woodrow Wilson, by Rayford W. Logan
  4. Science for Segregation: Race, Law, and the Case Against Brown V. Board of Education, by John P. Jackson Jr.
  5. The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo, by Tom Reiss
  6. The Death of Reconstruction: Race, Labor, and Politics in the Post-Civil War North, 1865-1901, by Heather Cox Richardson

I've been reading For Discrimination: Race, Affirmative Action, and the Law, and it's been an excellent overview. He's very even-handed in his approach - not that he doesn't take strong positions, but he's fair in how he portrays differing views and presents their arguments with their best foot forward, and acknowledges when there are valid points made. He also provides very useful historical and legal context for the debate, and the shifting status affirmative action has had over the last half century.

I don't care for grits, its the texture for me. they're too gritty... but Cornbread:

2KcmYZK.gif

Look. If you ever come to Ga. I will make you a pot of grits. With Goat cheese, hot sauce, butter, and Cilantro. I swear you will slap ya parents when you are done with a bowl.

And my girl eats cornbread and buttermilk. I cant fucking do it. My peoples can do it as well. But with regular milk. The only difference between my lady(Alabama) and my peoples(Louisiana) is she likes that bitter ass cornbread and I was raised on that sweet cornbread. That shit is like a cake.

Mumei

Croissants are god tier. Miss me with low level bread items.

Mumei, do you have any literature for feminism and film?

I haven't read much about film, actually. For issues of gender and sexuality more broadly, this is what I've read:

1. The Abortion Myth: Feminism, Morality, and the Hard Choices Women Make, by Leslie Cannold
  2. Gay New York: Gender, Urban Culture, and the Making of the Gay Male World, by George Chauncey
  3. Marriage, a History: How Love Conquered Marriage, by Stephanie Coontz
  4. What's Wrong With Homosexuality?, by John Corvino
  5. Homosexuality and Civilization, by Louis Crompton
  6. Delusions of Gender: How Our Minds, Society, and Neurosexism Create Difference, by Cordelia Fine
  7. No Turning Back: The History of Feminism and the Future of Women, by Estelle Freedman
  8. Yes Means Yes! Visions of Female Sexual Power and a World Without Rape, by Jaclyn Friedman
  9. The Men with the Pink Triangle: The True Life-and-Death Story of Homosexuals in the Nazi Death Camps, by Heinz Heger
  10. Sexual Violence and American Manhood, by T. Walter Herbert, Jr.
  11. Feminism is For Everybody: Passionate Politics, by bell hooks
  12. Men & Masculinities: A Social, Cultural, and Historical Encyclopedia, by Michael S. Kimmel
  13. Guyland: The Perilous World Where Boys Become Men, by Michael S. Kimmel
  14. The Gendered Society, by Michael S. Kimmel
  15. Out of the Past: Gay and Lesbian History from 1869 to the Present, by Neil Miller
  16. The Long Arc of Justice: Lesbian and Gay Marriage, EQuality, and Rights, by Richard D. Mohr
  17. Dude, You're a Fag: Masculinity and Sexuality in High School, by C.J. Pascoe
  18. Rape is Rape: How Denial, Distortion, and Victim Blaming are Fueling a Hidden Acquaintance Rape Crisis, by Jody Raphael
  19. The New Soft War on Women: How the Myth of Female Ascendance Is Hurting Women, Men, and Our Economy, by Caryl Rivers
  20. Challenging Casanova: Beyond the Stereotype of the Promiscuous Young Male, by Andrew P. Smiler
  21. Sexual Harassment and Bullying: A Guide to Keeping Kids Safe and Holding Schools Accountable, by Susan Strauss
  22. Men and Feminism: Seal Studies, by Shira Tarrant
  23. The Purity Myth: How America's Obsession with Virginity is Hurting Young Women, by Jessica Valenti

And these are on my to-read list; there are some repeats because they fit onto both lists:

1. The Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader, by Henry Abelove (Editor), Michèle Aina Barale (Editor), David M. Halperin (Editor)
  2. Do Muslim Women Need Saving?, by Lila Abu-Lughod
  3. Woman: An Intimate Geography, by Natalie Angier
  4. The Second Sex, by Simone de Beauvoir
  5. Straight: The Surprisingly Short History Of Heterosexuality, by Hanne Blank
  6. Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity, by Judith Butler
  7. Mothers on Trial: The Battle for Children and Custody, by Phyllis Chesler
  8. Black Sexual Politics: African Americans, Gender, and the New Racism, by Patricia Hill Collins
  9. Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge, Consciousness, and the Politics of Empowerment, by Patricia Hill Collins
  10. Masculinities, by Raewyn W. Connell
  11. The Grounding of Modern Feminism, by Nancy F. Cott
  12. Blues Legacies and Black Feminism: Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Billie Holiday, by Angela Y. Davis
  13. Women, Race, and Class, by Angela Y. Davis
  14. Chicago Whispers: A History of LGBT Chicago Before Stonewall, by St Sukie De La Croix
  15. Sex, Priests, and Secret Codes: The Catholic Church's 2,000 Year Paper Trail of Sexual Abuse, by Thomas P. Doyle
  16. Witches, Midwives, and Nurses: A History of Women Healers, by Barbara Ehrenreich
  17. Global Woman: Nannies, Maids, and Sex Workers in a Global Economy, by Barbara Ehrenreich
  18. For Her Own Good: Two Centuries of Experts' Advice to Women, by Barbara Ehrenreich
  19. Sex/Gender: Biology in a Social World, by Anne Fausto-Sterling
  20. Myths of Gender: Biological Theories about Women and Men, by Anne Fausto-Sterling
  21. Sexing the Body: Gender Politics and the Construction of Sexuality, by Anne Fausto-Sterling
  22. Sex and the Citadel: Intimate Life in a Changing Arab World, by Shereen El Feki
  23. When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America, by Paula J. Giddings
  24. Unequal Freedom: How Race and Gender Shaped American Citizenship and Labor, by Evelyn Nakano Glenn
  25. Misogyny: The World's Oldest Prejudice, by Jack Holland
  26. We Real Cool: Black Men and Masculinity, by bell hooks
  27. Talking Back: Thinking Feminist, Thinking Black, by bell hooks
  28. Bone Black: Memories of Girlhood, by bell hooks
  29. Feminist Theory: From Margin to Center, by bell hooks
  30. Ain't I a Woman: Black Women and Feminism, by bell hooks
  31. A Question of Manhood: A Reader in U.S. Black Men's History and Masculinity, The 19th Century: From Emancipation to Jim Crow, by Earnestine Jenkins
  32. Out of Place: Interrogating Silences in Queerness/Raciality, by Adi Kuntsman
  33. Theorizing Empowerment: Canadian Perspectives on Black Feminist Thought, by Notisha Massaquoi
  34. Complexities: Beyond Nature and Nurture, by Susan McKinnon
  35. African Feminism: The Politics of Survival in Sub-Saharan Africa, by Gwendolyn Mikell
  36. Queer (In)Justice: The Criminalization of LGBT People in the United States, by Joey L. Mogul
  37. This Bridge Called My Back: Writings by Radical Women of Color, by Cherrie L. Moraga
  38. The Pleasure's All Mine: A History of Peverse Sex, by Julie Peakman
  39. Crow After Roe: How "Separate But Equal" Has Become the New Standard in Women's Health and How We Can Change That, by Jessica Mason, Pieklo
  40. Compulsory Heterosexuality and Lesbian Existence, by Adrienne Rich
  41. The Boundaries of Her Body: The Troubling History of Women's Rights in America, by Debran Rowland
  42. Unequal Sisters, An Inclusive Reader in U.S. Women's History, by Vicki L. Ruiz
  43. Excluded: Making Feminist and Queer Movements More Inclusive, by Julia Serano
  44. And the Band Played On: Politics, People, and the AIDS Epidemic, by Randy Shilts
  45. Conquest: Sexual Violence and American Indian Genocide, by Andrea Lee Smith
  46. Hey, Shorty!: A Guide to Combating Sexual Harassment and Violence in Schools and on the Streets, by Joanne Smith
  47. Manliness and Its Discontents: The Black Middle Class and the Transformation of Masculinity, 1900 - 1930, by Martin Summers
  48. Mismeasure of Woman: Why Women Are Not the Better Sex, the Inferior Sex, or the Opposite Sex, by Carol Tavris
  49. A Queer World: The Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader, by Adrian Thatcher
  50. Deep Secrets: Boys' Friendships and the Crisis of Connection, by Niobe Way
  51. Gendered Lives: Communication, Gender, And Culture, by Julia T. Wood
  52. Don't Bet on the Prince: Contemporary Feminist Fairy Tales in North America and England, by Jack Zipes

Stumples actually suggested the first one to me .... I think last year. Despite the somewhat misleading title, it also covers feminist / queer (theory?) issues.

damn mumei how you find the time to read all this?

I mostly just make time for it.

Trey

I've been hyped for the LEGO movie since I saw the first trailer, but the reviews have me in a state right now. Might just have to swing by the theater tomorrow night.

Look. If you ever come to Ga. I will make you a pot of grits. With Goat cheese, hot sauce, butter, and Cilantro. I swear you will slap ya parents when you are done with a bowl.

And my girl eats cornbread and buttermilk. I cant fucking do it. My peoples can do it as well. But with regular milk. The only difference between my lady(Alabama) and my peoples(Louisiana) is she likes that bitter ass cornbread and I was raised on that sweet cornbread. That shit is like a cake.
Have you ever try shark steak and grits?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I found a few more for the to-read list in the last few days:

My copy of Racism without Racists came today

Thanks again for the suggestions. Reading is my favorite way to learn about a subject but there's just so much out there that it's intimidating trying to figure out where to start

So I appreciate the guidance. Trying to read alot more period this year. This is a good start

That first kid needs to be watched. That video is like something you see in a Dateline story with dramatic music and a reporter stoically asking "Was this the first sign?"

Black women for whatever reason are much, much better at keeping themselves out of jail than black men are.

My cousin took the fall for some shit his baby mama got into a few years back. It would be interesting to see if that type of stat is tracked.

ReiGun

Is anyone else more annoyed by the "Black People get on my nerves and suck but I'm Black" types than the racists sometimes? The air of "I'm better and more enlightened than you" unearned moral superiority is just grating.

Slayven

Is anyone else more annoyed by the "Black People get on my nerves and suck but I'm Black" types than the racists sometimes? The air of "I'm better and more enlightened than you" unearned moral superiority is just grating.

So Don Lemon and the N.U.Ts? Nu Uncle Toms.

Folks that make careers out of telling black people what they got to do to be better.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Sometimes.

I think what bothers me is that they don't realize that they're not only spouting the same racist rhetoric that racist white people use, but they're also sort of confirming it to them because they're black.

Like Bill Cosby and his blanket statements about how black people need to pull up their pants. All that did was just confirm racist thought.

Kreed

Depends on who's saying it. Larry Elder/Don Lemon/Juan Williams/every black person on Fox News types, I agree. Comedians/black activists/people who don't spend all their time talking about black issues, it's fine, but I don't think those people fit the "I'm better and more enlightened than you" mold anyway.

Mumei

My copy of Racism without Racists came today

Thanks again for the suggestions. Reading is my favorite way to learn about a subject but there's just so much out there that it's intimidating trying to figure out where to start

So I appreciate the guidance. Trying to read alot more period this year. This is a good start

Have you had a chance to start yet? What do you think?

harSon

Banned
Let's see if I cannot black out on my birthday this year. I'm getting too old for that. I literally don't remember much of 5 of my last 6 birthdays. Wish me luck tonight...

ReiGun

Depends on who's saying it. Larry Elder/Don Lemon/Juan Williams/every black person on Fox News types, I agree. Comedians/black activists/people who don't spend all their time talking about black issues, it's fine, but I don't think those people fit the "I'm better and more enlightened than you" mold anyway.

I'm fine with the latter group too; I certainly don't believe the black community is without fault and shouldn't be called on bullshit. Constructive criticism and discussion is fine. Tearing the community down to build yourself up is where I take issue.

Sometimes.

I think what bothers me is that they don't realize that they're not only spouting the same racist rhetoric that racist white people use, but they're also sort of confirming it to them because they're black.

Like Bill Cosby and his blanket statements about how black people need to pull up their pants. All that did was just confirm racist thought.
Exactly.

Let's see if I cannot black out on my birthday this year. I'm getting too old for that. I literally don't remember much of 5 of my last 6 birthdays. Wish me luck tonight...

Happy B-day HarSon, don't drake out on us.. have a good time.. as long as you can remember the good time.

DominoKid

Yall should check out the thing on Deadspin about the history of black qbs.

Im on mobile so i cant post it but it shouldn't be hard to find.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Yall should check out the thing on Deadspin about the history of black qbs.

Im on mobile so i cant post it but it shouldn't be hard to find.

http://deadspin.com/the-big-book-of-black-quarterbacks-1517763742

EDIT: I should refresh the page first next time. Beaten.

on RGIII said:
But Parker dug in, saying about RGIII, "We've heard a couple times now of a black guy kind of distancing himself from black people. My question," he continued, "which is just a straight, honest question, is: Is he a brother, or is he a cornball brother?" When asked what he meant, Parker said: "He's not real. OK, he's black, he kind of does the thing, but he's not really down with the cause. He's not one of us. He's kind of black but he's not really, like, the guy you really want to hang out with because he's off doing something else."

Evidence was adduced: "We all know he has a white fiancée, there's all this talk about he's Republican—I'm just trying to dig deeper into why he has an issue."

ugh

harSon

Banned
Thanks for the Birthday wishes ya'll and Happy Birthday Aim. You picked a great day to be born :p

And I gotta remember not to whistle on this side of town, cause peeps out here are crazy. My co-workers took me out to lunch, and some young punk accused me of being a Crip when he overheard me whistling on my way back to the car. I was whistling that one song from Kill Bill, cause I had caught it on tv the night before. Dude started walking towards me, telling me to get the fuck out his hood, so I just ducked in my car and drove off cause I'm not trying to reason with any of these nothing to lose motherfuckers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom