• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

i'm imagining a wall with printouts of all of my plate post pics and instagram food pics and lots of circles and arrows and random scribbles like 'boiled red potatoes with skin' all over it

that sounds like your crab boil plate. which, oddly enough, didn't include some form of chicken, so I had to create a new footnote subsection.

Talked to her a few hours ago she's not in pain thank god. She kept saying sorry and I'm like its ok your alive that's the most important thing
she might want to go to the doc anyway, depending on how bad the hit was. Last thing you want is some "months later" complications. Plus hopefully there was a camera somewhere. Police might be able to find the driver.

satch: you want that cheddar, jalapeno, bacon cornbred with the little bits of corn in it.

Mr. Patch

0007343500004_500X500.jpg

Add some Publix chicken with them bitches...

You got a party now.

Slayven

I think I've finally reached that level of zen apathy that fellow poster "Sega1991" has reached when it comes to Sonic announcements. The designs other than Knuckles' hilarious proportions and Sonic's weirdly long legs are fine, though.

Fuck that, we almost threw HotColdman out of SonicGAF for making a thread about that trash.

Who needs leg day when you can glide tho

What is Sonic Gaf's blood in blood out policy?

So I missed a cornbread/roll discussion. What else did I........
image.php

Talking about my dehumanizing stare. Just damn.

And rolls>cornbread. And grits are fantastic with goat cheese and hot sauce.

Young Magus

Black History Month got me thinking about my social studies teacher back in 7th grade. Dude was the textbook example of liberal white "I don't see color" type of racist.

Worst part of it all is that I was young enough to still think that being a teacher meant that a person was always right so not only did I never challenge the stuff he said, I usually ate that shit up and would regurgitate his bs myself since I believed it all. He complained in class a couple times about parents who accused him of being racist and his response was always something to the effect of "I can't possibly be racist or I wouldn't be teaching at a school that was 90% black."

He'd say stuff like we shouldn't call black people black since we're all different shades. To be truly black you skin tone had to match that of a black crayon.

He tried to defend use of the N word. He never actually said it in class, but I get the feeling he thought it was unfair for black people to expect whites not to use despite using the word themselves. On numerous occasion he'd tell us "the word really just means ignorant, you know. You can call anyone the N word regardless of race. That's how it people used it in the past. (I've never come across any evidence backing this up.)" My personal view is that having a blanket policy is kind of ridiculous, so I take context and intent into account when my non black friends say it. I really don't like making a huge deal out of it.

One February me made a point to NOT teach us any black history. He said the stuff out other teachers made us do for the month wasn't really teaching us anything (To be fair he had a point. Most of time all we ever did was color in some picture of MLK's face or watch a movie in class about the last years of his life). This sounded like a good idea on its surface, but he never taught us any black history in any of the other months either. If he actually gave a shit he could have used the opportunity to give the education we hadn't been receiving in the years prior.

The same month he assigned us a project. It was to write a short biography about anyone. There wasn't a "no black people" rule, but the comments he made in class definitely discouraged us from writing about blacks. Sure enough when the due date came around, he had us all present in front of the class and I think only one girl's project was about someone black and her's was about her mom.

I really should have caught how awful he was sooner. When we got the WW2 section of the textbook he adamant about how internment camps were necessary and that "Asian Americans needed them for their own good."
..........I feel really bad for ya man.

daaaamn, dude got GOT

Oh man. I'm in tears here. Thanks for the laughs Bish.

This reminds me of something I meant to post a few days ago, but got distracted.
Since black history month has all y'all posting interracial avatars, I thought you might be interested to know "where the white women at."

Apparently, they're all in prison. Yes, Prison!

Since leaving the private sector and working for the man, I've gotten my hands on all kinds of interesting incarceration data. Those of you who know me know I live in PA, so the data here applies to PA specifically- that's not necessarily a bad thing, as PA is pretty middle of the road demographically, with a nice sized population. But you don't care about that- on to the data!

PA has a total population of 12.76 million, and of those 12.76 million, there are 48,603 Male inmates. It will probably not surprise you to find out that 50% of these are black, 38% of them are white, and 11% are hispanic, despite blacks only being about 11.4% of the total state population.

The surprise is when you look at the female population- it's almost the reverse. There are only 2,716 female prisoners in the state prisons here, but of those 2,716 a whopping 59% of them are white, 38% are black, and 8% hispanic.

That 38% is still

but nowhere near as lopsided as the black male incarcerated rate. Black women for whatever reason are much, much better at keeping themselves out of jail than black men are. They're probably even better at it than white women are, but as we all know the system is designed to lock up as many brothas and sistas as possible.

But wait, it gets better!

A plurality of the men in prison (47.5%) are there for Part 1 offenses- robbery, assault, murder 1, with the rest of them in there for part 2 (mostly drug) offenses and parole violations.

Either way, this is a fairly stable population though. Only about 20.7% of these guys are on the mental health roster, with 2.2% tagged as "seriously mentally ill."

The women though? Even though they're more or less evenly split between part 1 and 2 offenses (about 40 something percent each) A whopping 47.6 percent of these girls are on the mental health roster, with 11% tagged as "seriously mentally ill."

So not only are white women making up the majority of the state's prison population, they are also very, very likely to be crazy as fuck.

The lesson here? Sistas don't get enough credit. Leave the white women alone. Change those avatars! Stay black.

I think you're missing the reason for the avatars completely.

not at all. Just having fun with those who use them.

I thought the data was very interesting, since i had assumed the black male and female incarceration rates would be mostly the same- they really aren't, there's a huge discrepancy for some reason.

Slayven

Oh man. I'm in tears here. Thanks for the laughs Bish.

This reminds me of something I meant to post a few days ago, but got distracted.
Since black history month has all y'all posting interracial avatars, I thought you might be interested to know "where the white women at."

Apparently, they're all in prison. Yes, Prison!

Since leaving the private sector and working for the man, I've gotten my hands on all kinds of interesting incarceration data. Those of you who know me know I live in PA, so the data here applies to PA specifically- that's not necessarily a bad thing, as PA is pretty middle of the road demographically, with a nice sized population. But you don't care about that- on to the data!

PA has a total population of 12.76 million, and of those 12.76 million, there are 48,603 Male inmates. It will probably not surprise you to find out that 50% of these are black, 38% of them are white, and 11% are hispanic, despite blacks only being about 11.4% of the total state population.

The surprise is when you look at the female population- it's almost the reverse. There are only 2,716 female prisoners in the state prisons here, but of those 2,716 a whopping 59% of them are white, 38% are black, and 8% hispanic.

That 38% is still

but nowhere near as lopsided as the black male incarcerated rate. Black women for whatever reason are much, much better at keeping themselves out of jail than black men are. They're probably even better at it than white women are, but as we all know the system is designed to lock up as many brothas and sistas as possible.

But wait, it gets better!

A plurality of the men in prison (47.5%) are there for Part 1 offenses- robbery, assault, murder 1, with the rest of them in there for part 2 (mostly drug) offenses and parole violations.

Either way, this is a fairly stable population though. Only about 20.7% of these guys are on the mental health roster, with 2.2% tagged as "seriously mentally ill."

The women though? Even though they're more or less evenly split between part 1 and 2 offenses (about 40 something percent each) A whopping 47.6 percent of these girls are on the mental health roster, with 11% tagged as "seriously mentally ill."

So not only are white women making up the majority of the state's prison population, they are also very, very likely to be crazy as fuck.

The lesson here? Sistas don't get enough credit. Leave the white women alone. Change those avatars! Stay black.

*googles prison penpal sites*

There was a thread on Gaf a long time ago about such a site. The good look women was all in their check fraud.

It doesn't matter. Going to prison hardens a bitch. When they get out they are just as likely to slice you up as the women in there for murder 1. (I have some data on this one as well, but alas..not easily accessible).

Don't end up a statistic!

That thread needs to come back though. There's nothing like reading the profile of a cute girl looking for a sensitive family guy, then finding out she boiled her last 3 exes alive or something.

I went through my Goodreads account and made two lists; one of things I've read and one of things I would like to read. I started with #4, which I would not recommend doing. If I were doing it over again, I probably would start with #2, then #1, then #9, then pick between #6, #8, or #5 depending on what interested me most.

Anyway:

Books I've read:

1. The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, by Michelle Alexander
  2. Racism without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality in the United States, by Eduardo Bonilla-Silva
  3. Dispossession: Discrimination against African American Farmers in the Age of Civil Rights, by Pete Daniel
  4. The Souls of Black Folk, by W.E.B. Du Bois
  5. Is Bill Cosby Right?: Or Has the Black Middle Class Lost Its Mind?, by Michael Eric Dyson
  6. When Affirmative Action Was White: An Untold History of Racial Inequality in Twentieth-Century America, by Ira Katznelson
  7. Everyday Antiracism: Getting Real About Race in School, by Mica Pollock
  8. Killing the Black Body: Race, Reproduction, and the Meaning of Liberty, by Dorothy Roberts
  9. "Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?": A Psychologist Explains the Development of Racial Identity, by Beverly Daniel Tatum
  10. Ebony and Ivy: Race, Slavery, and the Troubled History of America's Universities, by Craig Steven Wilder
  11. White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son, by Tim Wise
  12. The Origins of American Slavery: Freedom and Bondage in the English Colonies, by Betty Wood

Books about race (sometimes intersecting with feminism or class) in the United States that I found by scrolling through my to-read list:

1. A Massacre in Memphis: The Race Riot That Shook the Nation One Year After the Civil War, by Stephen V. Ash
  2. Hate Thy Neighbor: Move-In Violence and the Persistence of Racial Segregation in American Housing, by Jeannine Bell
  3. Before the Mayflower: A History of Black America, by Lerone Bennett, Jr.
  4. War Against the Weak: Eugenics and America's Campaign to Create a Master Race, by Edwin Black
  5. Slavery by Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II, by Douglas A. Blackmon
  6. Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America, by Ayana Byrd
  7. Agents of Repression: The FBI's Secret Wars against the Black Panther Party & the American Indian Movement, by Ward Churchill
  8. Black Sexual Politics: African Americans, Gender, and the New Racism, by Patricia Hill Collins
  9. Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge, Consciousness, and the Politics of Empowerment, by Patricia Hill Collins
  10. Blues Legacies and Black Feminism: Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Billie Holiday, by Angela Y. Davis
  11. Women, Race, and Class, by Angela Y. Davis
  12. Black Visions: The Roots of Contemporary African-American Political Ideologies, by Michael C. Dawson
  13. Black Reconstruction in America 1860-1880, by W.E.B. Du Bois
  14. Creating Their Own Image: The History of African-American Women Artists, by Lisa E. Farrington
  15. Ida: A Sword among Lions: Ida B. Wells and the Campaign against Lynching, by Paula J. Giddings
  16. When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America, by Paula J. Giddings
  17. Unequal Freedom: How Race and Gender Shaped American Citizenship and Labor, by Evelyn Nakano Glenn
  18. The Mismeasure of Man, by Stephen Jay Gould
  19. The Black Family in Slavery and Freedom, 1750-1925, by Herbert George Gutman
  20. Word by Word: Emancipation and the Act of Writing, by Christopher Hager
  21. Making the Second Ghetto: Race and Housing in Chicago 1940-1960, by Arnold A. Hirsch
  22. Black Looks: Race and Representation, by bell hooks
  23. We Real Cool: Black Men and Masculinity, by bell hooks
  24. Bone Black: Memories of Girlhood, by bell hooks
  25. killing rage: Ending Racism, by bell hooks
  26. Ain't I a Woman: Black Women and Feminism, by bell hooks
  27. How the Irish Became White, by Noel Ignatiev
  28. Jim Crow's Children: The Broken Promise of the Brown Decision, by Peter H. Irons
  29. A Question of Manhood: A Reader in U.S. Black Men's History and Masculinity, The 19th Century: From Emancipation to Jim Crow, by Earnestine Jenkins
  30. Fear Itself: The New Deal and the Origins of Our Time, by Ira Katznelson
  31. For Discrimination: Race, Affirmative Action, and the Law, by Randall Kennedy
  32. Uprooting Racism: How White People Can Work for Racial Justice, by Paul Kivel
  33. The Shame of the Nation: The Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America, by Jonathan Kozol
  34. Unequal Childhoods: Class, Race, and Family Life, by Annette Lareau
  35. American Apartheid: Segregation and the Making of the Underclass, by Douglas S. Massey
  36. Bending Toward Justice: The Voting Rights Act and the Transformation of American Democracy, by Gary May
  37. At the Dark End of the Street: Black Women, Rape, and Resistance--A New History of the Civil Rights Movement from Rosa Parks to the Rise of Black Power, by Danielle L. McGuire
  38. The Origins of the Civil Rights Movements: Black Communities Organizing for Change, by Aldon D. Morris
  39. Family Properties: How the Struggle Over Race and Real Estate Transformed Chicago and Urban America, by Beryl Satter
  40. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
  41. Sweet Land of Liberty: The Forgotten Struggle for Civil Rights in the North, by Thomas J. Sugrue
  42. The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit, by Thomas J. Sugrue
  43. Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present, by Harriet A. Washington
  44. The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration, by Isabel Wilkerson
  45. The Strange Career of Jim Crow, by C. Vann Woodard

When I said, "Hey, just realized you know almost nothing about black history or politics?" as a rhetorical question to ask for a thread of self-education resources, that was actually almost exactly the conversation I had with myself. I had come to that realization sometime after a couple things happened: I came out and after reading about the history of homosexuality just how deliberately things had been hidden from me on that subject, simply by their omission in my education. After that, I read Lies My Teacher Told Me which made it abundantly clear that that sort of obfuscation, misrepresentation, whitewashing, and general nonsense was the rule and not the exception. I'd also become sensitive to the fact that I had been using issues of black civil rights in discussions about gay rights, while not really knowing all that much about said issues, or participating in threads about those issues. I had been doing so not so much to draw equivalences, but to highlight inconsistencies in other people's thinking - but I was bothered by that.

So, eventually something broke and I started trying to read more.

Bookmarked. Really need to dig into these.

Thanks Mumei

Just learned about Assata Shakur this morning. Woman has done some radical stuff and she's still ducking the FBI til this day in Cuba. I'm not sure if I really believe that she's on the #1 list right now as I read on Facebook.

Satch

Banned
my grandmas cooking is everything, my mother goes IN for my granny's cornbread

i just aint ever been about that cornbread life

rolls and biscuits are where issat

I still don't get the war over grits in here. Tried it once, Nope, just kept it moving. I save my ire for the Grilled chicken versus Fried chicken conflicts. Grilled chicken DA best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom