• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The fact you immediately call her Oracle proves what I'm saying is true...Barbara is a shit batgirl.

Barbara is the Jason Todd of Batgirls, she was a better character when she wasn't wearing the cowl....much like Jason is a better character post Robin.

so if shes the jason todd of batgirls, what the hell does that make steph? she wasnt good solo, she wasnt good as a robin, and she wasnt good as batgirl.

Cassandra Cain is just a shit character.

better than stephanie brown

I like a pretty face more than anything

Not saying she's ugly but with the make-up and the bleached hair and the contacts and her expressions.

Not doing it for me. Just seem like any other girl you see dolled up at the club. Not my type of chick

With those facial expressions, she's lightweight uncanny valley

I'm fine with 30fps, but I prefer 60fps. I hate when 30fps drops (GTAV). Which is why I do most of my gaming on PC.

And yo, fucking love Brooklyn Nine Nine. Diaz and Santiago…yes pls.

Cassandra Cain is just a shit character.

I think she started out dope, but then DC tried to make her more relateable to readers and started fucking that entire thing up slowly. They seem to do that alot I notice. Like yo if you're trying to make a character that's relateable you need to make that part of the character from the get go. None of this tomfoolery of trying to inject shit into them.

Damian is Cassandra's character done right (yo fuck Grant Morrison).

so if shes the jason todd of batgirls, what the hell does that make steph? she wasnt good solo, she wasnt good as a robin, and she wasnt good as batgirl.

You should realize that most people like Stephanie because she's easily one of the better written characters in the Bat family, and much better written than Barbara as Batgirl. Reading Barbara batgirl was like reading a Stormfront "science article" on black people. Horrible, cobbled together bullshit.

People like Barbara as Oracle for that same reason, she as a character was MUCH better written when she wasn't actually Batgirl, her interactions with other characters and her personal battles made her a dope character as Oracle. Which is why people constantly point to Oracle and not Batgirl Barbara when she's brought up, that isn't coincidence bruh. It's just millions of people appreciating a well written character whether they actually realize it or not. It's also why for the most part Batgirl's current solo series sucks ass. She's just bland as fuck as Batgirl; there's very little that differentiates her from anyone else.

RedSwirl

Ever since I hooked up this new PC and started playing what are essentially console games the difference is night and day to me. I can even notice the difference between 60 and 50.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Esco I would troll you about the framerate stuff, but really I just wanted to know if Freedom Cry is supposed to be standalone on PC at some point.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Esco I would troll you about the framerate stuff, but really I just wanted to know if Freedom Cry is supposed to be standalone on PC at some point.

I'll ask our marketing peeps tomorrow. Also i can see 60 vs 30 just fine. You'd be surprised how many industry peeps can't though ;)

saw Blake Griffin's parents for the first time today. what a combo of features to mix.
BhL6CDzCYAEvugL.png

Wow. You can just see what features went where. And Blake was just destined to be a redhead. Also, Mom's just happy to see her son's on the court, but Dad looks like he's going to give Blake a thorough criticism when the game is over.

akira28

This is just incorrect.

She should maybe smile more.....

Cass Cain...take her voice away again so she only communicates by kicking your ass and she'll be great again.
Also let her be scary/sensitive/sexy again. And maybe some friction with Tim Drake (if they ever decide to bring his character back...)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
You should realize that most people like Stephanie because she's easily one of the better written characters in the Bat family, and much better written than Barbara as Batgirl. Reading Barbara batgirl was like reading a Stormfront "science article" on black people. Horrible, cobbled together bullshit.

People like Barbara as Oracle for that same reason, she as a character was MUCH better written when she wasn't actually Batgirl, her interactions with other characters and her personal battles made her a dope character as Oracle. Which is why people constantly point to Oracle and not Batgirl Barbara when she's brought up, that isn't coincidence bruh. It's just millions of people appreciating a well written character whether they actually realize it or not. It's also why for the most part Batgirl's current solo series sucks ass. She's just bland as fuck as Batgirl; there's very little that differentiates her from anyone else.

i dont see the better written part. maybe better than auxiliary characters like the inc squad, but among the core family, no. babs may be better as oracle, which i admit, but steph isnt a good character at all, and ive given the character plenty of chances

ReiGun

The fact you immediately call her Oracle proves what I'm saying is true...Barbara is a shit batgirl. People who think Barbara was best Batgirl are the same cats who think Aquaman is like A-league or something.
Whoa there. Don't throw us in with those Barbara people.

You guys see that Twitch plays Pokemon? Its crazy lol.

The lore the community is building behind it is hilarious.

ReiGun

Are the dynamics behind the N word really this difficult to understand? Can a word really be so hard to reconcile with that it needs multiple hour long specials?

Are the dynamics behind the N word really this difficult to understand? Can a word really be so hard to reconcile with that it needs multiple hour long specials?

I equate it to learning a new language. There is nuance and meaning in even the slightest inflection and if you aren't a member of that culture then you dont understand it completely.

harSon

Banned
horseshit

It's not horseshit. Not everyone's vision or intolerance for this type of stuff is the same, and to suggest otherwise is disingenuous. My parents had their HD DirecTV box hooked up to their HD television using composite cables. They were completely oblivious to it. My friend had made an XBMC media center and most of the video played through it was a stuttering mess. Why? Because he failed to utilize a setting within the program to adjust the display's refresh rate to match the video. He was oblivious to it until I pointed it out, and it seemed to only bother me. A lot of people can't tell the difference between 60hz and 120hz in televisions, especially if there's no direct comparison to be had. I'd have a bit of trouble telling the difference too, except that I'm more susceptible to motion sickness with the latter.

As I said, FOR ME, as in the way my eyes and my brain processes information - not yours - telling the difference between 30 and 60 fps without the aid of a side by side or direct comparison can be difficult depending on the genre. If you were to set a 30fps and 60fps versions of the same game in front of me, obviously I'd be able to tell the difference. But just having me play one game, and asking me to identify whether its 30 or 60 fps? That's tougher for me. I thought Infamous: Second Son was 60 FPS until I read otherwise a month or so ago. I didn't know the campaign and multiplayer for Killzone Shadow Fall were running at different resolutions.

ReiGun

It hurts for them not to say it.
Burns their souls, it does.

I equate it to learning a new language. There is nuance and meaning in even the slightest inflection and if you aren't a member of that culture then you dont understand it completely.

That's an interesting way to look at it. But my thing is people trying to make it socially unacceptable just because they can't say it without potential consequence while refusing to understand why they can't when folks try to explain.

Burns their souls, it does.

That's an interesting way to look at it. But my thing is people trying to make it socially unacceptable just because they can't say it without potential consequence while refusing to understand why they can't when folks try to explain.

Of course, you know that is the underlying reason for the "outrage".

Enzom21

It hurts for them not to say it.

I don't think not being able to say it is the issue. I'm sure those who complain about not being able to say it actually say it when not around black people.

It hurts them not to be able to call us it free of consequence like the "good old days."

Whoa there. Don't throw us in with those Barbara people.

My bad, Barbara fans are wack as fuck though. Always swearin she's the truth…but all they talk about is Oracles, cats like to pretend she was never a Batgirl. Batgirl Barbara is like the Old Testament, everyone likes to pretend that shit never happened while talkin about how amazing she is and shit. Fuck outta here.

angelus is a premier league aqaman hater. it comes with the terrirtory.

Not a hater I just don't see the "ERMAHGAWD BEST HERO EVER!" so many cats have been shouting as of late.

ReiGun

My bad, Barbara fans are wack as fuck though. Always swearin she's the truth…but all they talk about is Oracles, cats like to pretend she was never a Batgirl. Batgirl Barbara is like the Old Testament, everyone likes to pretend that shit never happened while talkin about how amazing she is and shit. Fuck outta here.
Even when she was Batgirl, people main talk about shit she did as a civilian. Like working as a politician. Her time as Batgirl seems like a blur.

She wasn't even that great in TAS until Beyond.

Not a hater I just don't see the "ERMAHGAWD BEST HERO EVER!" so many cats have been shouting as of late.

Aquaman has always been better than he gets credit for, but I do agree the hype has gone a little into overdrive recently.

DominoKid

I actually give them credit for once for actually talking about it because we all know that there are som many people that don't have a clue.

i have no interest in this shit because it basically amounts to sticking your toe in the water and swirling it around a bit.

if they really wanted to get somewhere on these televised racial discussions then they'd unpack it deeper than the N-Word and talk about the codewords that fly everyday w/o people even raising an eye like "thug" and shit like that. and talk about privilege. and put panels of white people on the spot about it.

it'd be awkward as hell like Steve McQueen on that directors panel but that's something i'd want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom