• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I never get into religious/atheist shit. I don't believe in a god but was raised by two very religious people that were actually good people. A lot of online atheist think religious= horrible shit bag republican. Kind of pisses me off. So I stay out of it.

I'm in the same boat.

I'm not particularly religious, but I'd consider myself 'spiritual' on the right day of the week. My dad was a preacher, grandmother was always in church - I didn't "stop" going to church until I got into it with the pastor who was doing the services at my mother's funeral, an issue I had with some sunday school instructors who were making it us as they went, and political bullshittery that went on across all the churches I'd been to while I was in college.

I don't hate religion. It helps a lot of people. I get irritated with some of the constructs that it contributes to. But I can't see it being to big of a deal. I haven't been to church on my own accord in almost 5 years now, but its basically because I just don't feel like getting up, dressed, and ready for the show anymore. I've had no issue dating religious people though. Maybe because if I liked someone enough to go to church with them then I wouldn't even feel the urge to trip.

Then again, I generally find myself with very open people. Its just... weird to see mixed religion households working well and then seeing "Jesus or BUST" folks crumble.

I'm in the same boat.

I'm not particularly religious, but I'd consider myself 'spiritual' on the right day of the week. My dad was a preacher, grandmother was always in church - I didn't "stop" going to church until I got into it with the pastor who was doing the services at my mother's funeral, an issue I had with some sunday school instructors who were making it us as they went, and political bullshittery that went on across all the churches I'd been to while I was in college.

I don't hate religion. It helps a lot of people. I get irritated with some of the constructs that it contributes to. But I can't see it being to big of a deal. I haven't been to church on my own accord in almost 5 years now, but its basically because I just don't feel like getting up, dressed, and ready for the show anymore. I've had no issue dating religious people though. Maybe because if I liked someone enough to go to church with them then I wouldn't even feel the urge to trip.

Then again, I generally find myself with very open people. Its just... weird to see mixed religion households working well and then seeing "Jesus or BUST" folks crumble.

This.

Wow. Religion.

Its funny in a way. I am a firm believer that there is a God. Why because of the bullshit that I have seen and been privy to can rank up there with some of the evils of the world. I mean if there is so much evil in the world and some satanic fucksticks doing shit to kids and the elderly, fuckers causing genocide and all other forms of shit. Mutilations and all other dirty forms, down to fucking people being wrapped in tires and set ablaze. If there is that much darkness then there has gotta be some light somewhere.

If theres evil, then there has to be good.

but thats what I believe at least.

You know thats the thing as long as people are tolerant of others then thats all that matters. No reason for anyone to be demonized because they dont believe what you believe. Just be good to each other.

Onemic

You know thats the thing as long as people are tolerant of others then thats all that matters. No reason for anyone to be demonized because they dont believe what you believe. Just be good to each other.

This is what I'm about. As long as you're not getting up in my face about your beliefs, I don't care what you practice.

Imm0rt4l

My friend's family had a birthday party for his mom yesterday and they invited me, his mom considers me a son. They're Latino family, and while they don't go to mass.....ever really, they consider their selves devout Catholics. My buddy was given the task of being the Godfather of this adorable little girl. My friend's sister went off arguing that he isn't fit to be a God father since he's a Godless atheist and doesn't believe in Jesus. She was heated and wanted me to co-sign her that the idea of my friend being a God father to this kid being a stupid idea. "Imm0rt4l, my brother doesn't even believe in Jesus, how is he supposed to be the God father to this little girl! I know you and your family are religious imm0rt4l, How can my brother not believe in God!?"

Jesse-Pinkman-Breaking-Bad-Drinking-Water.gif

mfw I'm the reason he's come to terms with his lack of faith. I've been atheist/indifferent to religion for a long while and my family doesn't know. I've gone to church with them on several occasions, I don't push my beliefs on anyone. I'll probably never come out to my family cuz ignorance is bliss and they're very religious.

My thing is if a motherfucker want to believe in Yu Yevon, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, Mu, A turtle supporting the earth on its back, Khan, or hell nothing at all, just be tolerant.

Thats whats wrong with people today, no empathy or tolerance. Im not trying to sound hippiesh but just being cool to one another and being about peace is where its at. I mean the most relaxing feeling in the world is when your mind is clear of bullshit. When you can lay your head down and know that you have done a good thing not just because you want to brag about it but because its right. That feeling is amazing.

Peace is the shit. And this is coming from one of the angriest fucks you know.

Rio,

I bet most of the shit we both saw shaped us in our beliefs or lack of. It seems you either leave the military deeply religious or not religious at all.

Rio,

I bet most of the shit we both saw shaped us in our beliefs or lack of. It seems you either leave the military deeply religious or not religious at all.

You can only lose a kid so many times before you have to start believeing in something.

You wont see me in church on sundays, everyday life and according to the bible I sin just by waking up, but you know that doesnt stop the fact that I believe that the man upstairs has a plan for us all. Even if you dont believe, thats cool. But loving one another and bringing the peace with you, not surrounding yourself with negativity, and being a positive influence on all that is influential is all that matters at the end of it all.

Damn I need to start writing again.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I saw 12 Years A Slave earlier and, yeah... The acting performances both by Chiwetel and Fassbender were just fucking sublime.

Why posters always throwing in Wii U into next gen graphics discussions. I feel the controller can deliver some next gen experiences like ZombieU, but graphically......come on son.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I don't normally post here, but the Drake shade in the title is unnecessary.

Is whoever made the title mad that Drake has that good light skin and they don't?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

noone wins the simp game. you just try to learn from your mistakes. drake leans into that shit though. simping on a dead girl that had no idea who the hell you are? thats a pinnacle in simpdom. there will be simp sonnets written about him.

FreeMufasa

noone wins the simp game. you just try to learn from your mistakes. drake leans into that shit though. simping on a dead girl that had no idea who the hell you are? thats a pinnacle in simpdom. there will be simp sonnets written about him.

What's the difference between a drake and a joe type simp?

FyreWulff

Why posters always throwing in Wii U into next gen graphics discussions. I feel the controller can deliver some next gen experiences like ZombieU, but graphically......come on son.

I don't know why, but they need to stop using third party ports as examples. Third parties haven't tried on Nintendo hardware since the N64 (with few and far between exceptions), they aren't going to start now.

Wii U's got 3x the usable RAM the 360 had (360 has 512 but with asterisks all over that motherfucker, so most projects I saw had an asset budget of a bit over 300MB), 5 times the media space (8gb vs 50GB), a disc drive that's faster with data than both the PS3 and 360, combined.

It's weaker than the Bone and the PS4 on all levels. But it's still capable of games the 360 and PS3 physically cannot do. People need to wait for the upcoming games that will actually push it, instead of contract fulfillment projects.

They're missing having a Rare right now, the developer that went "oh, that's nice, you did that thing with this Nintendo console? We did it.. with twice the effects, and using techniques the competitor said were only possible on their hardware. Also, it makes tea for us by noon." Then they'd tag out and have Factor 5 cover for them.

I never get into religious/atheist shit. I don't believe in a god but was raised by two very religious people that were actually good people. A lot of online atheist think religious= horrible shit bag republican. Kind of pisses me off. So I stay out of it.

Aggressive atheists are just as bad as the overly aggressive religious.

JohnDoe

Banned

Only time religion bothers me is when people who practice it are bigoted or insecure because of it.
On the other hand, militant atheists are losers. Nobody with a sufficient amount of intelligence takes their religion trashing seriously and they aren't as smart as they think they are.

I can answer this because we just went over this in my Producing class. Black movies that have to deal with the holidays make a lot of money. They usually only release in 12 areas of the US but will be in every theater in that area. They're the most profitable genre outside of horror flicks. In short Tyler Perry likes his money.

Black movies make money.

Horror flicks make money.

So, where's that Tales From The Hood part 2: The Racheting?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
In two weeks, I was the only person to escape captivity lol

Maybe I was the only person who tried though. I'm doing another 18 hours today. Possibly more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom