• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

J10

Banned
yep. lol but sway wins for staying cool and not losing it. Cause dude was completely disrespected on his own show

I imagined Sway in his own head saying, "Lower your motherfucking voice, nigga I'm from Oakland." But dude is a professional and somehow managed to not slap the shit out of Kanye. It's extra fucked up though because Sway is like the chillest dude ever, never disrespects anybody.

k4LwQoD.png

daaaaaaaamn

this is the single greatest thing anyone in the history of the internet has ever said

Imm0rt4l

I imagined Sway in his own head saying, "Lower your motherfucking voice, nigga I'm from Oakland." But dude is a professional and somehow managed to not slap the shit out of Kanye. It's extra fucked up though because Sway is like the chillest dude ever, never disrespects anybody.

I think that's why he did it. He wouldn't dare pull some shit like that on Charlamagne cuz that would end badly.

I heard on the radio that he was in paris shopping at a louis vuitton store after raising a stink saying to boycott them or some shit. hypocrite.

This isn't the whole thing?

Call me crazy but I still feel like Kanye has some valid points but the dude is so emotional/sensitive about shit he just goes off on these crazy ass tangents that hurt the message he's trying to convey.

I think that's why he did it. He wouldn't dare pull some shit like that on Charlamagne cuz that would end badly.

I heard on the radio that he was in paris shopping at a louis vuitton store after raising a stink saying to boycott them or some shit. hypocrite.

He talks about both of those things actually. He said Charlemagne wanted him to turn up so bad but he wouldn't do it because he doesn't know the dude like that so who knows where it would go. But he and Sway have history so he knows he can do that and it'll be squashed by the end of the day. He addressed the whole boycott thing too but I wasn't really even paying attention by that point lol

Like I said a bunch in the OT thread, dude only cares about issues that impact him or tries to use social issues to mask his personal problems with business ventures not going his way. It's gross.

Onemic

This isn't the whole thing?

Call me crazy but I still feel like Kanye has some valid points but the dude is so emotional/sensitive about shit he just goes off on these crazy ass tangents that hurt the message he's trying to convey.

He talks about both of those things actually. He said Charlemagne wanted him to turn up so bad but he wouldn't do it because he doesn't know the dude like that so who knows where it would go. But he and Sway have history so he knows he can do that and it'll be squashed by the end of the day. He addressed the whole boycott thing too but I wasn't really even paying attention by that point lol

I don't know about the Sway thing, but I'm holding comment on the Charmalgne video until I see the full uneditied version.

Like, Ye is crazy, but the amount of people that love to hate on him in whatever video he's in, even without complete context is insane. A lot of it he brings on himself because he isn't the best at expressing himself, but man, it's clear some people just love to jump on the hate bandwagon.

Gorillaz

Kanye makes good beats, but yea, he ain't dumb enough to speak that shit to certain people. Sway doesn't give that much of a shit about it but other dudes would have.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yeezy just seems all kinds of defensive. His defense mechanisms have defense mechanisms. We all know that guy that just gets himself in the corner on certain issues and boxes himself in, won't listen to anything and just yell "im the best dont hate" even when what you're saying ain't even against them. I don't know if fame and fortune really changed Ye much, seems like just another kind of shield he's throwing up IMO.

I don't know about the Sway thing, but I'm holding comment on the Charmalgne video until I see the full uneditied version.

Like, Ye is crazy, but the amount of people that love to hate on him in whatever video he's in, even without complete context is insane. A lot of it he brings on himself because he isn't the best at expressing himself, but man, it's clear some people just love to jump on the hate bandwagon.

I haven't seen the Charlemagne video or heard the audio either but I generally can't stand dude regardless of who the guest is so I'm not eager to. I can understand wanting to be real but I can't respect someone who's willing to be as disrespectful as he sometimes gets. Like you don't have to come at somebody like that to get truth out of them.

But yeah, Ye has been one of those people that people love to hate for awhile now and a lot of it is brought upon by himself because he goes on these tangents and just speaks with no filter. I mean people in general have no problem shitting all over others even when they don't put themselves in that position but it's fish in a barrel with Kanye so it's always a feeding frenzy. A think a perfect example is pretty much anytime there's a Kanye vs Paparazzi issue. So many people approach it from the standpoint of "well I hate both so I don't even know how to react" even when it's clear that one or the other is primary cause of the problem.

Gorillaz

Yeezy just seems all kinds of defensive. His defense mechanisms have defense mechanisms. We all know that guy that just gets himself in the corner on certain issues and boxes himself in, won't listen to anything and just yell "im the best dont hate" even when what you're saying ain't even against them. I don't know if fame and fortune really changed Ye much, seems like just another kind of shield he's throwing up IMO.

He's ego been like this for years, since The College Dropout/Graduation days, it's just now magnified. I think he got his feelings hurt by the fashion industry which I mentioned in the other thread, is one of the most cynical industries out their. The definition of what and who is "in" for top designers change at the drop at the hat and it's a pretty small relentless pack of them.

He really should honestly start at the ground level and build up like Charlamagne said instead of trying to change thing from the top. Also Ye needs to learn how to have a talk with certain types, especially the dudes that don't give a shit about the medium he's made his own. Those are the ones that are probably brushing him off the most

Me and a co-worker are arguing about something.

If a friend you've known for a while (5 years or so) asked for you to put two computers (MacBook Pro and a iMac) on your credit card because he doesn't have one. It came up to $3500. Would you trust a friend to pay you back?

My co-workers friend did end up paying him back the next day.

Personally I don't play that shit.

If a friend you've known for a while (5 years or so) asked for you to put two computers (MacBook Pro and a iMac) on your credit card because he doesn't have one. It came up to $3500. Would you trust a friend to pay you back?

Hell NO
I wouldnt do that for family.

Cash up front.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
He's ego been like this for years, since The College Dropout/Graduation days, it's just now magnified. I think he got his feelings hurt by the fashion industry which I mentioned in the other thread, is one of the most cynical industries out their. The definition of what and who is "in" for top designers change at the drop at the hat and it's a pretty small relentless pack of them.

He really should honestly start at the ground level and build up like Charlamagne said instead of trying to change thing from the top. Also Ye needs to learn how to have a talk with certain types, especially the dudes that don't give a shit about the medium he's made his own. Those are the ones that are probably brushing him off the most
Definitely. I feel like that's something he has yet to take in or at least work around understanding. I actually like Ye, as ridiculous as he can be sometimes I think he is genuine inside. He just seems like he is lost on where to expand himself right now.

Onemic

I still don't know why the dude keeps bitching about corporations not giving him deals on his fashion shit when he has more than enough money to start up his own fashion line if he was really that passionate about it. I mean, I don't know why he thinks that these fashion moguls will look at him and say "oh this rapper is such a fashion visionary! We have to give him complete creative freedom and totally back his line of kilts!" He should've known from the Nike deal that the companies don't think he or any rapper for that matter is shit in the fashion industry and just do the shit himself. By complaining about it, it just makes me think that he ain't really about that fashion life at all, it's just a hobby to him. If he was truly serious about it he'd be working his ass off trying to make his own brand to prove to them that he is shit, instead of crying to every damn fashion dude that doesn't give him the keys to the car.

I still don't know why the dude keeps bitching about corporations not giving him deals on his fashion shit when he has more than enough money to start up his own fashion line if he was really that passionate about it. I mean, I don't know why he thinks that these fashion moguls will look at him and say "oh this rapper is such a fashion visionary! We have to give him complete creative freedom and totally back his line of kilts!" He should've known from the Nike deal that the companies don't think he or any rapper for that matter is shit in the fashion industry and just do the shit himself. By complaining about it, it just makes me think that he ain't really about that fashion life at all, it's just a hobby to him. If he was truly serious about it he'd be working his ass off trying to make his own brand to prove to them that he is shit, instead of crying to every damn fashion dude that doesn't give him the keys to the car.

Yup. Plus he'd have complete control over everything. It comes down to him either being too dumb or too scared to. I'm kind of tired of his excuses. I know people who start up their own businesses and are successful with nowhere near the capital, friends and popularity he does. It's annoying to see someone with so many resources at their disposal whine so much.

I don't know that there's really viability in starting from the ground up as far as fashion is concerned. I mean look at how the pieces he's done so far are received. His white t-shirt thing sold well but it was also clowned by a bunch of people. Meanwhile high fashion companies do that kind of thing all day and are by and large above criticism for it.

I mean if Kanye had created a clothing line all his own.. bought and set up his own factories, sourced the materials, done all the designs.. and put out stuff that looks like the stuff he's wearing.. how successful do you really think it would be? A lot of his own fans would laugh at the designs AND the prices.

Even looking at stuff that starts from a similar place (The Hundreds, 10xDeep, etc..) they pretty much have to stick with "Streetwear" styles to make money and can only dabble in experimental stuff (which usually doesn't sell well). Of course that's the risk that you take creating something from the ground up but if Ye bankrupted himself doing it, I bet a lot of people would say "he should've liscensed his shit through a high end label if that's what he wanted to do" after the fact.

Of course the criticism that Devo presented in Ye making it out to be a larger social issue rather than a personal issue is valid in any case.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Kanye lol. That guy lives in a bubble that's less penetrable than the Romney's on election night.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Pharrell managed to do every single thing Yeezy wants to, with infinitely more grace. To be honest, when it comes to everything art related outside of music, he's a lesser version of Skateboard P.

He does speak some truth, but he's become a bit unbearable.

cdyhybrid

I don't even have that much room left on my card anyway, but hell no.

I don't know that there's really viability in starting from the ground up as far as fashion is concerned. I mean look at how the pieces he's done so far are received. His white t-shirt thing sold well but it was also clowned by a bunch of people. Meanwhile high fashion companies do that kind of thing all day and are by and large above criticism for it.

I mean if Kanye had created a clothing line all his own.. bought and set up his own factories, sourced the materials, done all the designs.. and put out stuff that looks like the stuff he's wearing.. how successful do you really think it would be? A lot of his own fans would laugh at the designs AND the prices.

Even looking at stuff that starts from a similar place (The Hundreds, 10xDeep, etc..) they pretty much have to stick with "Streetwear" styles to make money and can only dabble in experimental stuff (which usually doesn't sell well). Of course that's the risk that you take creating something from the ground up but if Ye bankrupted himself doing it, I bet a lot of people would say "he should've liscensed his shit through a high end label if that's what he wanted to do" after the fact.

Of course the criticism that Devo presented in Ye making it out to be a larger social issue rather than a personal issue is valid in any case.

He could do small high fashion lines and do more basic designs that are released through bigger cheaper retailers like everyone else does. He wants to take a sledgehammer to how things are done and then is confused when people don't want to give him the time of day. I dunno, I'm just ultra critical of his crap.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Tell that friend to take ten extra dollars and go buy a prepaid debit card.

reilo

Kanye said:
I'm losing relevancy.

Yeah, that's pretty much why he's freaking out. He's afraid he'll become irrelevant, and nothing more.

Gorillaz

Pharrell managed to do every single thing Yeezy wants to, with infinitely more grace. To be honest, when it comes to everything art related outside of music, he's a lesser version of Skateboard P.

That's because Pharrell know's how to actually communicate,talk and leverage with people outside of his own domain. Even Jay Z's old ass figured it out. Ye still hasn't gotten it yet.

Did he though? I mean, I'm not up on Pharell's fashion shit much but when his lines first came out they were just wild ass streetwear designs and he basically had to push them hard in Japan because that's the only market that was messing with him heavy like that. Did he go high fashion later or something?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Haha sway at the end "check this out I don't use nigga I'm not a nigga user but, nigga, don't yell at me again on the mic." He had a lot of patience with him when Ye was basically screaming at him.

Gorillaz

@jest Pharrell isn't top "top" but I don't think he causes as much shit at fashion week in Paris that Ye does

edit: I don't know how an edit turned into a full comment but whatever

reilo

Haha sway at the end "check this out I don't use nigga I'm not a nigga user but, nigga, don't yell at me again on the mic." He had a lot of patience with him when Ye was basically screaming at him.

Sway should've slapped him the moment Kanye said he was Shakespeare.

reilo

How do you not recognize Closer's bassline right away?

EDIT: This freestyle is so bad.

He could do small high fashion lines and do more basic designs that are released through bigger cheaper retailers like everyone else does. He wants to take a sledgehammer to how things are done and then is confused when people don't want to give him the time of day. I dunno, I'm just ultra critical of his crap.

So like.. a few small runs of his real stuff and then run a line at Kmart next to Sofia Vergara and Martha Stewart? I'm joking a bit on that when it's a valid suggestion for staying solvent but it wouldn't help build a brand. It would actually hurt his brand more than anything. His best option would be to go the route that The Hundreds, Pharell, and even Marc Ecko went in starting in streetwear and trying to build out from there but those guys devote 100% of their time to it and still don't break into High Fashion. Ye's trying to get there while still generating money in other areas. It's a pretty impossible thing for him to even attempt to be honest. Jack of all Trades, master of none and all that.

@jest Pharrell isn't top "top" but I don't think he causes as much shit at fashion week in Paris that Ye does

Hardly anyone causes as much shit as Kanye does pretty much anywhere lol. Dude needs to focus and get his temperament under control. And he's going to have to realize that there are no Renaissance Men anymore. It's not feasible to do at the highest levels of music, art, fashion, etc... He would need Top 5 Forbes kind of money to even have a shot at that and would still probably die before 50 from all the stress.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Did he though? I mean, I'm not up on Pharell's fashion shit much but when his lines first came out they were just wild ass streetwear designs and he basically had to push them hard in Japan because that's the only market that was messing with him heavy like that. Did he go high fashion later or something?

I don't recall much about high fashion, but he got acceptance from the likes of LV and launched a jewelry line with them, as well as doing a bunch more in the arts with European designers, iirc.

edit:
Also to be frank, the clothes he was putting Kim in were awful.

Very true.

So like.. a few small runs of his real stuff and then run a line at Kmart next to Sofia Vergara and Martha Stewart? I'm joking a bit on that when it's a valid suggestion for staying solvent but it wouldn't help build a brand. It would actually hurt his brand more than anything. His best option would be to go the route that The Hundreds, Pharell, and even Marc Ecko went in starting in streetwear and trying to build out from there but those guys devote 100% of their time to it and still don't break into High Fashion. Ye's trying to get there while still generating money in other areas. It's a pretty impossible thing for him to even attempt to be honest. Jack of all Trades, master of none and all that.

It's a matter of what he wants. If he just wants money he's doing fine right? If he wants to actually create shit for himself, then he needs to create shit for himself and stop crying.

A bunch of designers have worked up from nothing and show at Fashion week. I just don't understand his bullshit.

I don't recall much about high fashion, but he got acceptance from the likes of LV and launched a jewelry line with them, as well as doing a bunch more in the arts with European designers, iirc.

Interesting. I wonder if there's some in depth info about that. I'll look around for it just for my own information. It will help flesh out my perspective on these crazy ass rants.

reilo

The thing with Kanye is that he probably wants everything done his way. And if you don't agree with his vision then you're just a hater of the highest caliber.

Does it just come down to that they are trying to hold him down? Or is it that the type of things he wants to accomplish have an economy of scale that sometimes just doesn't work? The truth probably lies somewhere inbetween.

J10

Banned

Yup. Plus he'd have complete control over everything. It comes down to him either being too dumb or too scared to. I'm kind of tired of his excuses. I know people who start up their own businesses and are successful with nowhere near the capital, friends and popularity he does. It's annoying to see someone with so many resources at their disposal whine so much.

doaJQaq.gif

Man, Ye is such a polarizing guy. Him losing a little relevancy may be good for him though honestly. I don't think he can handle the social pressure of being on top as well as say, Jay Z or Drake.

Imm0rt4l

He had a jewelry line with Louis Vuitton . I dunno if he really did much else.

Billionaire Boys Club/ Ice Cream (Street wear garb)

Tokubetsu

Can't wait to play cute anime games on my freshly ordered black 3ds XL while listening to kanye west and drake. #swag #woop #realboyz

I remember seeing previews about this, forgot to get around to watching it(I thought it looked good). Why haven't I heard anything about it lately? Is it any good?

It's really good, the first episode made more sense and had more action than the entirety of Agents of Shield so far.

DominoKid

first episode of The Blacklist was fire. it kind of fell off to me but i still run it on TV in the background. Megan Boone is indeed beautiful but she wasn't a good pick for the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom