• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hardly ever get clowned on for being an atheist. I usually get pity or, occasionally, a look of disgust. They say shit like, "I'll pray for you." I know it usually comes from a good place, but it still feels condescending.

Which is why I don't even mess with discussing religion. It always leads to people trying way too hard to get me to attend church to try and convert me. So anytime I feel like the conversation is veering in that direction, I just bring up something else. Like one of my good friends is very serious about his religion, he invited me over once and they pretty much jumped me. It was all very awkward for both of us, they assumed I didn't know jack shit about Christianity so they were talking down to me like crazy (it was unintended) and were shocked when I pretty much knew some of the scriptures they were quoting and all. Then we ended up playing Marvel vs Capcom 3 and I tore into them like crazy.

Imm0rt4l

I don't see how you can really get clowned for being an atheist. Definitely get some "let me pray for you" stuff, but I feel that's usually coming from a place of concern all the while being condescending. I can appreciate the gesture, but I simply can't do faith. When someone says see by faith not by sight, I want to roll my eyes into the back of my head.

No one can clown me because I don't give a shit enough either way. They can say "fence sitter" or some shit and I just bite back with "I have better shit to worry about." I will say though I'm hard on religions that are sexist and homophobic because that shit is inexcusable.

In regards to a topic long past, it seems my extended family also gives no fucks about what race we'd marry. "We're a diverse bunch" :)

Neither set of folks cares about who I or TD dates. It would be funny if either set did considering their past and current marriages really.

Touchdown

Banned
No one can clown me because I don't give a shit enough either way. They can say "fence sitter" or some shit and I just bite back with "I have better shit to worry about." I will say though I'm hard on religions that are sexist and homophobic because that shit is inexcusable.

Preach!!

other_preach_gif.gif

Truth

In regards to a topic long past, it seems my extended family also gives no fucks about what race we'd marry. "We're a diverse bunch" :)

My mom has never given a single fuck about what my girl is and she's met a bunch. White, Asian, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, black; she's seen it all and hasn't given a single fuck as long as I'm happy. My mom is the shit, my stepdad was a dick though, thankfully she kicked that bum to the curve back when I was like 13.

Kreed

Distractions placed here by the devil to lead us away from the word of god.

Me being an atheist of course only proves that it worked.

When I was religious and the dinosaur discussion came up I was either pointed towards quotes about beasts like Leviathan as support for dinosaurs in the bible, or dinosaurs were just written off as being unimportant. Even the creationism museum people try to say dinosaurs and humans lived side by side.

So talking to someone who is flat out saying dinosaurs don't exist (in addition to "You can't get me to believe I came from a damn monkey" discussion), was "different" but I think I made some progress, at least until the next church service.

Trey

I never get bothered by my family about religion. It's great.

I just bow my head when they bless the food. It's an easy enough ritual, and they say some really inspiring stuff most of the time.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I wonder what the reaction to a black Wonder Woman would be...?

Steady on there chap....let's walk before we run.....

Also...Gaming side LOLs part 2 incoming. No specific thread, but with Euros finally getting their hands on PS4, the console wars are reignited.

popcorn.gif

Gorillaz

Juat woke up from the itis fam

Yea I'm watching that Charlie Brown special with the folks and that boy franklin already getting played smh

So I just dehumanized the living fuck out of this kid and his parental figure by just standing in line at BK. He walked the long way around after locking eyes with me.

So I just dehumanized the living fuck out of this kid and his parental figure by just standing in line at BK. He walked the long way around after locking eyes with me.

Not even gonna ask why you're at BK on Thanksgiving when there is bomb ass food to be had. But I will say this...cops will be outside your quarterlies for that stare.

image.php

--

You ate each so much godlike food in one 12 hour period, you just don't wanna eat anything ever again? This is my life fam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom