• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Do they ever tackle the ethics of telepaths just probing peoples' minds all willy nilly in the comics?

Good ones don't do it, the bad ones do. And than there is the Gamesmaster, he is an Omnipath, he is constantly connected to every sentient mind on earth rather he likes it or not.

I wonder if she did it because compared to her brothers, she is the runt of the litter? One can warp reality, and the other can do anything he think he can. Psychic knife is chump change.

Well she's omega level now (but Storms not...really?) so I guess she's not so angry with her power set now

DominoKid

Good ones don't do it, the bad ones do. And than there is the Gamesmaster, he is an Omnipath, he is constantly connected to every sentient mind on earth rather he likes it or not.

I'm kind of disappointed at how cut and dry that is. Is there no room for general curiosity? Because if I was a telepath it'd be hard for me to not just pop in to see wtf people are thinking.

I'm kind of disappointed at how cut and dry that is. Is there no room for general curiosity? Because if I was a telepath it'd be hard for me to not just pop in to see wtf people are thinking.

They got some people who straddle the line. Emma frost has definitely abused that shit in the past. Professor X has been revealed to do some dirty-ass shit in the past. Like that time he wiped Cyclops’ memories of seeing a replacement team of X-Men killed (including his own brother)

I did like Psylockes Armor with hoodie. Devo you could cosplay OG Psylocke. And Jamie Braddock and Mad Jim Jaspers are fucking nuts. How would you like the power to see the threads of reality and manipulate them at your will.

psylocke.jpg

?

If I had unlimited funds I'd cosplay a bunch.

ReiGun

NERDS !!!!

I miss buying comics I dont know where to start now :( all the good comic story here jacks up prices :\.

My advice to people is always to just pick some stuff and start reading. You really do pick up on events and whatnot as you go along.

Slayven

I mean they pick up surface thoughts like "damn she got a paht ass". But are they going to mind wipe you so they can have the bathroom first? nah

How y'all know so much about comics

Reading nigga, reading.

NERDS !!!!

I miss buying comics I dont know where to start now :( all the good comic story here jacks up prices :\.

Marvel and DC just gave great new jumping on points - Marvel NOW and New 52 respectively. Hell, for Marvel, All-New Marvel NOW is about to begin. You can start there. Next month, for example, is Avengers 24.NOW. Start with whatever you'd like.

Kreed

I also watched Red Dawn this morning on Netflix.

Fun fact about the Red Dawn remake: The movie was shot with the invading army being Chinese. When they figured out that that would be bad for business (China's a huge market that Hollywood doesn't wanna piss off) they went in and digitally changed all of the Chinese symbols and dialogue to North Korean.

The original premise of the movie was that the US was invaded by China for defaulting on loans. The US essentially gets repossessed. LOL That would have been way more awesome than what we actually got, if you ask me.

By the way, please watch Robot & Frank on Netflix if you haven't seen it yet. It's really great.

Really don't know how Asian actors agree to do movies like this and Olympus Has Fallen (well besides for the money). I know it's hard for Asian actors to get roles outside of martial arts movies, but I'm pretty sure none of the Asian actors in these films are from North Korea, so it enforces "all y'all look alike" stereotypes, and there's not a single positive Asian portrayal in these films.

harSon

Banned
Really don't know how Asian actors agree to do movies like this and Olympus Has Fallen (well besides for the money). I know it's hard for Asian actors to get roles outside of martial arts movies, but I'm pretty sure none of the Asian actors in these films are from North Korea, so it enforces "all y'all look alike" stereotypes, and there's not a single positive Asian portrayal in these films.

It's the same reason people like Steppin' Fetchit, Hattie McDaniel and Eddie "Rochester" Anderson partook in demeaning roles, and the reason Arab actors continue to portray terrorist roles in film. If you don't take the role, someone else will, so it's either take what you can get or be without a job.

Nakazato

Saw hunger games cf today....

Yo that shit is racist.

1st district they were in the had balck ppl picking cotton with men with guns watching them.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Yo that shit is racist.

1st district they were in the had balck ppl picking cotton with men with guns watching them.

everytime i think of the hunger games, i think of the backlash involving that one character being black.

Yo that shit is racist.

That entire district is supposedly formerly Atlanta or somewhere in the South. So yeah, it's kinda on the nose with the cotton pickin, but yeah. And the author confirmed that the candidates from that district were supposed to be black.

RIP in pieces Rue and Thresh

Kreed

It's the same reason people like Steppin' Fetchit, Hattie McDaniel and Eddie "Rochester" Anderson partook in demeaning roles, and the reason Arab actors continue to portray terrorist roles in film. If you don't take the role, someone else will, so it's either take what you can get or be without a job.

I guess I was expecting more "awareness" when it comes to the actors taking these roles. Back when Hattie McDaniel was playing those roles, no one had concepts of stereotypes or cared. Now most of us know the damage that can be done from entertainment when it comes to how the people being portrayed negatively are viewed by others. But you are right, work is work, even if it takes your group back a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom