• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Yeah I was going to add that Resident Evil has the same problem. When RE1 and 2 first came out people saw the stories and settings in those games as very realistic compared to something like Contra. The fact that it was a zombie situation with a scientific cause instead of a supernatural one made RE feel more "plausible" than other games of its time. Compared to today's Michael Bay gaming however, RE is downright cartoonish.

I disagree. I think the only RE game where the story was 'cartoonish' was RE4 and maybe CVX. But recently the science behind the series hasn't gotten any more ridiculous than the earlier ones; they still use viruses and have actually explained more of the details about how people transform. The risk of infection is still present but has other methods than just the usual physical contact (Ex: fog or injection) neither of which are too unbelievable.

If you dislike the way the games have progressed mechanically, that's understandable, but IMO, RE's one of the few series that hasn't done too much damage to itself plot wise. The settings have changed but I thought that was to be expected since Raccoon city was destroyed and so was Umbrella eventually.

However, this isn't detrimental to the story at all. They always painted a bigger picture behind Umbrella's power and influence (both 2 and 3 did this) and 6 was the one to expose who the real culprits were while 5 tied up the loose ends with Wesker. Now it just depends on it's delivery from this point on for whether or not it's all effective.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't know if looking down on Japanese games specifically for their dumb stories is fair. From what I've played of the AC games, the plot there seemed as crazy as any sort of nonsense coming out of Japan. Let's not even get started on David Cage.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
*points to RE Umbrella Chronicles*

The story is just at a somewhat logical point in terms of story progression. It was a lot easier to swallow when their wasn't twins/clones, clones of tyrants, illuminati, etc... being thrown in people's faces.

It was classic horror when it was just a haunted house and dawn of the dead. People could take to it a lot easier.

4 wasn't that bad, but CVX is when it started to get really bizarre.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
*points to RE Umbrella Chronicles*

The story is just at a somewhat logical point in terms of story progression. It was a lot easier to swallow when their wasn't twins/clones, clones of tyrants, illuminati, etc... being thrown in people's faces.

It was classic horror when it was just a haunted house and dawn of the dead. People could take to it a lot easier.

4 wasn't that bad, but CVX is when it started to get really bizarre.

The twins were exactly what weirded me out. I liked Umbrella Chronicles and for the life of me I don't understand why Umbrella's End didn't have it's own game. :(

I do love the earlier games for their haunted mansion exploration, and Revelations was quite promising with it's setting too.

4 was the really different one plot wise is what I meant. It was more light hearted (but that's probably just because of Leon's character) and less focused on the scientific aspect of RE stories, while 5 wasn't that much different but the story was definitely more focused on a reoccurring plotline.

RedSwirl

I disagree. I think the only RE game where the story was 'cartoonish' was RE4 and maybe CVX. But recently the science behind the series hasn't gotten any more ridiculous than the earlier ones; they still use viruses and have actually explained more of the details about how people transform. The risk of infection is still present but has other methods than just the usual physical contact (Ex: fog or injection) neither of which are too unbelievable.

If you dislike the way the games have progressed mechanically, that's understandable, but IMO, RE's one of the few series that hasn't done too much damage to itself plot wise. The settings have changed but I thought that was to be expected since Raccoon city was destroyed and so was Umbrella eventually.

However, this isn't detrimental to the story at all. They always painted a bigger picture behind Umbrella's power and influence (both 2 and 3 did this) and 6 was the one to expose who the real culprits were while 5 tied up the loose ends with Wesker. Now it just depends on it's delivery from this point on for whether or not it's all effective.

I didn't mean to say RE's story has changed tonally throughout the years in a dramatic way, because it actually hasn't. What's changed is everything else around the RE franchise. RE's stories and settings back in the late 90's felt realistic and plausible compared to most other console game stories, but that same setting and story feels slightly more ridiculous and theatrical compared to many of today's action games.

If there has been any degradation in RE's storylines, it's that the canon has become convoluted. Metal Gear has the same problem.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
No, there's an actual child bride defense in there Dy.

/slap

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106338890&postcount=124

iWVZoJq6KiDhB.gif

I love going through the post history of someone like that. So much gold. Everywhere.

Slayven

shut up coon
First stage of healing is acceptance. Let me help you help yourself.

Slay with all the American comic threads you make you KNOW American writing isn't much better. It's just that the most popular Japanese games/animes/etc... suffer in the writing department because they are usually written for pre-teens.
When have I thrown a blanket all comics is good statement? There is some shit so bad that I only bring up to make fun of. Ask Parallax about his favorite comics "Trouble"?

Product of playing hyperdimension Neptunia.

Keep an eye on Slay.
I am trying to go the Jay electronica route. That british good credit.

VTgzvvS.jpg

andthebeatgoeson

Instead of talking about child bride defense force, let's talk about really stupid shit..

War of the Worlds

How did Robbie make it home? I can't even...

How did those assholes not get infected when they planted the tripods?

Am I not supposed to pay attention to this? Terrible that this movie is visually great. I get sucked in every time and feel bad every time.

Kreed

A real person is saying these things. How do you even become this messed up?

Based on his post history and his many posts/topics about middle eastern news, he's probably from the country in question or country with similar rules.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
When have I thrown a blanket all comics is good statement? There is some shit so bad that I only bring up to make fun of. Ask Parallax about his favorite comics "Trouble"?

Part of the "mark millar is a fucking hack" collection

royalan

Maybe I'm reading too much into this...

But am I the only one getting slightly uncomfortable reading through that Orc thread? Especially considering orcs as they've been portrayed in most fantasy worlds are a very thinly-veiled allegory for black people?

Some of those pictures posted in there are no better than "Imma firin ma lazer!"

Been listening to kanye on spotify. Say what you will about him but the man is a straight up genius. Cant be that gifted and not have problems...right?

There is nothing "idiotic" about paying for sex. In fact if it was legal maybe some people would get the fuck over themselves and their ineptitude and the internet might be a bit more tolerable.

I don't know about that, but he's made some excellent albums.

I like the psycological theory of multiple intelligence of which there are eight. When most people think genius they immediately tend to think science and math. But this isnt the case. There are other intelligences like spatial and musical. Moreover, people who are the best in their respective fields tend to have high IQs even when you wouldnt think so. The above aside, listening to West's music just evokes genius to me. I mean to take the songs he samples and to turn them into what he does at such a consistently high level....And then when you read up on the production of his works and how he goes about doing it i think it solidifies it for me. Not to mention his command of several music styles from albums to album. Just listen to all tbe complexities of something like We Major.

Kanye West is a musical genius. Undeniable for me.

Top Bottom